Chapter 17

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


I buckled my seatbelt in the passenger seat and looked at Jiyong.

 


"Ready?" He asked, right as our eyes connected.

 

 

I opened my mouth to answer but the boys in the back beat me to it.

 


"Yee!" Taeyang said.

 

 

"Let's go!" Top hollered.

 

 

Chaerin frowned."You guys aren't even buckled in yet."

 

 

After hearing two more clicks of the seatbelt, Jiyong started driving. He offered to drive me back to my apartment and the rest of the group decided to follow. Top and Taeyang were curious about my brother.

 


"We have to go over rules," I said, turning in my seat to look at them.

 


"What do we need rules for?" Top asked, frowning.

 


"It's mainly for Taeyang," I admitted.

 


"Me?" He asked, pretending to be clueless, "Why me?"

 

 

We all laughed, knowing exactly why.

 


"One, refrained from making suggestive comments or jokes. I don't want him to be concerned with who I'm hanging out with. Two, don't bring up anything that has to do with YG. My brother
doesn't know about us being in the mafia and I want to keep it that way. I don't want him suddenly knowing something he probably didn't want to know and become responsible for it. Three, don't flirt with my brother."

 


"Wait, why would I flirt with your brother?" Taeyang asked.

 

 

"I added that one for Chaerin."

 

 

She shook her head, rolling her eyes, and then stuck her tongue out. "No promises."

 

 

In all our laps, except Jiyong's since he was driving, was the dinner that we took from the dining room to bring to the
apartment. It was Chaerin's idea to eat at my apartment. It reminded me that I should clean out my fridge before the
mold in there spreads far enough to kill me and my brother in our sleep.

 

 

By the time we got to my apartment, the food was semi warm and Chaerin was drenched in soup due to Top tilting his food bag on her when Jiyong made a turn. We all carried our bags of food into the building and went to my apartment by elevator. I opened the door and we entered my home.

 

 

Jiyong, Taeyang, Top, Chaerin, and I walked into Sanghyun
sitting on the couch, flipping through the television channels. He noticed our presence and turned his head to face us.

 

 

"Oh, hello," Sanghyun said as he got up from sitting to politely greet us.

 


"I brought some of my friends and food from work," I told him.

 

 

"I just had some takeout, but I'm never full." Sanghyun grabbed the plastic bag out of my hand. "Hi, I'm Sanghyun, Dara's only and older brother."

 


"Jiyong." Jiyong introduced himself, extending his arm out.

 

 

As they shook hands, Sanghyun turned his hands to examine Jiyong's arm. "Nice tattoos, man."

 


Jiyong nodded, accepting his compliment.

 


"Hey, Chaerin." My brother smiled.

 


"Good to see you again, Sanghyun. You guys go ahead and introduce yourself. I'm going to go change into something less
soupy." Chaerin said, walking down the hall to where the bedrooms were.

 


"Aye, man," Taeyang said, turning Sanghyun's handshake into a man hug.

 

 

"The name is Taeyang. You can call me Tae for short, but I promise you that nothing of me is short."

 

 

There goes rule #1. I mentally facepalmed myself and sighed disapprovingly. Sanghyun just forced a smile on his face and pulled away from Taeyang. My brother hesitated on extending his hand out for Top.

 

 


"No, don't worry," Top said, stopping my brother from offering a handshake. "I rather not touch anything that Taeyang touched, no offense. My name is Top by the way."

 

 


Sanghyun looked at me, sending me a weird and confused look. Uncertain and uncomfortable, he rubbed his hands against his pants. "You guys can set the food on the table and I'll go grab
the plates after I wash my hands in the kitchen."

 


We were setting the food on the low coffee table in between the couches and the TV when Chaerin came out. I was expecting her to be wearing my cleanclothes that she found in my closet.
Instead, she was in my brother's shirt and sweats, fitting her large and baggy.

 


"Does this look big on me?" She asked. The boys, who haven't sensed her appearance, turned to look at her.

 


"You look fine." My brother said, smiling. I could tell he was enjoying this very much.

 


"Actually, it looks a bit too tight on you," Taeyang said. Then, Top and him went back to eating

 


Chaerin rolled her eyes at Tae's insult and forced herself between me and my brother. Essentially pushing me into Jiyong to get more elbow room for herself.

 


I looked at Jiyong and said, "Wow." I was truly fascinated by Chaerin and the nerve she had. I haven't seen Chaerin flirt, but this was way bolder than I expected.

 


"I'd love to see you in my clothes too,"

 

 

Jiyong whispered, dropping his head to my ear. I slapped his shoulder, blushing, and he got out of my personal bubbles.
Sanghyun reached into a one of my packed container for him and pulled out a lamb chop.

 

 

"Where did you guys get all this food from?" He asked before sinking his teeth into the seasoned and cooked meat.

 

 

"I picked it up from work," I answered.

 


"It's a pretty cool cafeteria."

 


"Speaking of work, what do you guys do?"

 

 

My brother asked Jiyong, Taeyang, and Top.

 


"I'm Chaerin's boss," Jiyong answered after swallowing the chewed up food in his mouth.

 


"We deal with money, sort of like accounting," Top said, speaking for both him and Tae.

 


They weren't lying; however, they weren't telling the whole truth. I listened with all ears, making sure there weren't going to be any slips of exposing their true occupation.

 


"I remembered Chaerin telling me it was a business. Exactly what business?" We all looked at Jiyong for this question.

 

 

"It's a family trading business." He answered. "We work with drugs."

 

 

"Jiyong!" I tried to cut him off. My brother's eyebrows rose in suspicion."- medicine, of course." Jiyong continued.

 

 

"That's why hiring Dara was a helpful decision to our company. Even with her license removed, she does use that medical intelligence to push our business forward."

 


Jiyong looked at me and gave me a small smile. I challenged him with a stare. Exactly what was he trying to play at?

 

 

"I hope, along with Taeyang, Chaerin, and Top, that she'll be working for us for a long time." Jiyong ended his sentence by setting his hand on my knee. I felt his sincerity, but I knew he
was nudging me to bring up my medical license and the case.

 

 

I cleared my throat. "Sanghyun, I don't want to take my case to court."

 


"Why not?" He asked. "You don't want to your license back?"

 

 

"I can wait the suspension term. Taking the case to court or not, I still get my license back."

 


"But the whole thing will still be on your record."

 


"I actually like the job that I have right now. Bringing the whole thing into court would make me miss my job. I almost got to go to Italy this week. Would I have gotten that chance if I was still tied to that hospital?"My brother didn't look convinced. "Maybe even when I get my license back, I'll continue working for Jiyong."

 

 

"I pay well and my employees get benefits of traveling around the world, eating foods like you're eating now, and housing
without cost or deductions from their paycheck." Jiyong tried to convince him.

 

 

Sanghyun thought about it for a while as he chewed his dinner. "That sounds nice."

 


"It is," I assured him.

 


"You should come work for me," Jiyong said. "We could use a lawyer, just in case we get into some messy stuff. I can get
you a house here in Seoul and easily move your belongings.

 

 

"No," Sanghyun, to my relief, declined his offer. "I'm running my own law firm back in California. If you do need my help you
can contact me through Dara."

 


By the time we finished eating, it was ten o'clock. Taeyang, Top, Chaerin, and Sanghyun stayed seated and continued to
converse as Jiyong and I got up to throw away trash in the kitchen.I whispered to Jiyong, angrily.

 

 

"You almost broke rule #2!"

 


"I maybe didn't convince him to work for me tonight, but Chaerin can definitely change his mind," Jiyong said, tilting his head in the direction of my brother and my best friend.

 

 

They were currently talking to each other. It was apparent
that Sanghyun had just complimented her because Chaerin's cheeks were flushed pink.

 


"She definitely threw rule #3 out the window." I frowned.

 

 

Jiyong

 

 

There's nothing wrong with Sanghyun but I wanted him out of Seoul as fast as possible. If it meant letting him borrow my private jet, I would. As bad as it might sound, Dara's made her decision on not going to court and I didn't want Sanghyun
changing that. Also, she's been sleeping in her apartment rather than here. 

 


The elevator doors opened and I stepped out onto the ground floor. It was lunch time which meant I would find Dara in
the kitchen scarfing down food. Like I guessed, there she was, eating with the rest of the gang.

 

 

I took a seat next to her and stole one of her fries off her plate. "Hey, I was looking for you."

 


"Well, you found me." She teased. "Why were you looking for me?"

 


I revealed a long, orange envelope that was filled thickly and handed it to her. She quickly wiped the grease off of her
hands on a napkin and took it, asking, "Is this for me?"

 


I nodded. Dara examined the package suspiciously, looking for a label that might tell her what might be inside.

 


"Jiyong, where's mine?" Taeyang asked, already knowing what I had given her.

 


"I dropped it off in your room before I got here."

 


"Wow, so she gets the special delivery and I get nothing?" Tae asked, pretending to be hurt. "You've been colder towards me
ever since she got here." 

 


I rolled my eyes, "Get a grip of yourself." 

 


Dara

 


There was nothing on the envelope and I was really curious.

 

 

"Jiyong, can I open it right now?" I asked him.

 


"Go ahead."

 


I ripped the sealed orange envelope and peered inside. My eyes widen at what I saw. I was looking at a bunch of Benjamin
Franklins, still in their bands.

 

 

"What is this for? How much is in here?" I asked.

 


"Consider this a part of your pay. There should be about 80 thousand dollars."

 

 

I peered inside the envelope once again. That was a lot of hundred dollar bills I've ever seen in an envelope. 

 

 

"You know what this means?" Chaerin asked, snatching the envelope to look inside.

 


"What?" I asked.

 


"It means body shots off of strangers, making it rain on strippers, and grinding on hookers," Taeyang said. He started
dancing with his food-filled spoon in his hand, accidentally flicking food everywhere.

 

 

"No." I denied.

 


"Aw, come on." Top whined, "You haven't gone to any of our clubs yet. It's your first paycheck here. Let's spend it right." Top brought his two hands together and made the motion of 'making
it rain'.

 

 

"To me, spending it right means to pay off my student loans, rent, car payments, and groceries," I said, grabbing my envelope
back from Chaerin.

 


"You're in the mafia and you're snagging the leader of it, I'm pretty sure you'll get another chance to pay it all off," Chaerin
said.

 


"I rather not see you guys all drunk," I admitted. I've seen them act while they're sober and they were already a handful.

 

 

Imagining them drunk was already giving me a headache.I looked at Jiyong for help.

 


He shrugged, "I haven't gone clubbing in a while. I'm in."

 

 

I frowned. Jiyong reached for the last fry on my plate and I smacked his hand away.

 


"Betrayers don't get French fries."

 

 

--

 


I rearrange the jars of band-aids, cotton balls, Popsicle sticks around when Taeyang and Top burst into my office. My instinct told me to run but by the time I lifted my leg to start, Top reached me and got a hold of me.

 


"What? Why? Let go!" I tried fighting back.

 


Taeyang grabbed my legs and hoisted me over his broad shoulder.

 


"Tae, put me down."

 


"Stop struggling." He said through his gritted teeth, "Damn you're heavy."

 


I said offended, "No, you're just weak."

 

 

He ran, still carrying me, outside my office. I stopped fighting back once cause the both of us to fall. Top trailed behind, holding my phone that he kindly picked up from where I dropped it when Taeyang lifted me.

 


"How are you still running with me over your shoulder?" I asked, amazed by his strength.

 


"All the is building my stamina," Taeyang answered. Without seeing his face, I knew that he did his signature lip  and wink.

 

 

We reached the third floor and I started to make it difficult for him again.

 


"Where are you guys taking me? Taeyang put me down!"

 

 

I lifted my upper body in order to not see the world upside down. Top had opened the door to my room and Taeyang walked in. In my bathroom, Chaerin was waiting as she held the door to my closet open.

 


"What the heck is going on?" I asked, confused as to why Taeyang and Top had forcefully kidnapped me. "Put me down!"

 

 

To my surprise, he did, rather roughly. He then bolted out of my closet and Chaerin shut the door behind him.

 

 

"Guys, come on," I begged. "Let me out!"

 


"Not until you put something y on," Chaerin shouted from the other side of the door.

 


"Right! If I don't get a looking at you then it's not clubbing appropriate." Taeyang added.

 

 

I could hear the loud music coming from inside the club once got out of the car in the parking lot. I fixed my riled up tight,
red dress as I waited for everyone else behind me in the back seat to get out before closing the door shut. Chaerin, Taeyang, Top and I waited for Eric, who drove us and joined to be our
designated driver, to lock the car. Once he did, we all headed to the entrance of the building that promised booze, drugs, and dancing

 


"Jiyong is coming later, right?" Top asked

 

 

"Yeah, he's going to drive himself here," Chaerin said. "I don't think he's planning to drink."

 


We reached the building from the parking lot. The bouncer recognized us and let us in with ease, letting us cut the long line.Right as we walked in through the door, the firm smell of alcohol hit my nose. This club was packed all the way from the
bar to the exit. We all struggled to stay together as we tried walking through the sea of people.

 

 

Halfway to where Chaerin was leading us to, we lost Taeyang.
Knowing him, he probably ditched us and went to go grind on some drunk girl. We made it to VIP section that Chaerin
reserved for us. We all sat in the booth and waited for a waiter to take our drink orders. Eric stood up to scan the people behind the bar. "A newbie is taking this shift. I'll just go and grab our drinks instead."

 


A few minutes later, Eric brought a tray of shots. Eric and Top each took three and went to the dance floor. Chaerin, beside me, downed 5 shots in the speed of light. Seeing that I wasn't drinking any, Chaerin tried handing me a glass.

 


"Nonononono." I declined. "I'm don't handle alcohol very well, I'm a lightweight. It also damages your liver really bad and -"

 


"Shut up with your doctor talk," Chaerin said as she grabbed the glass from my hand and lifted it to my mouth. I tried to push it away, but she was already tilting the glass. It was vodka. I was grateful that she shoved a lemon wedge into my mouth right after. Unfortunately, she kept the drinks coming and I had no choice but to drink them unless I wanted this red dress ruined.

 

 

We began to feel the buzz and drunkenly decided to get rid of it by dancing. We staggered to the dance floor, accidentally
bumping into sweaty people on the way. Chaerin and I danced to the beat of the electronic club music, swinging our hips, raising our arms, and occasionally wooing when the DJ spoke into the mic.

 


In the midst of it, I felt someone grinding behind me. I turned around to see it was a random dude.

 


"I have a boyfriend," I told him, pushing him away.

 

 

I went back to dancing with Chaerin but was interrupted by a pair of hands on my hips coming from behind me. I looked
over my shoulder and it was the same guy from before.

 


"Look! Take a hint, buddy." Chaerin yelled, pointing her finger at him, which was slightly off probably from her drunk vision.

 

 

"She's not interested in what you have to offer." Chaerin moved her thumb and pointer finger together, referring that he had a small .We moved to another spot to dance.

 

 

Once the disgust went away we got back into our groove. I was really starting to feel the music and eventually lost Chaerin.
When the song ended and the DJ began to play some slow depressing music, I searched for her.

 


I found her through the crowd a few yards away, which was good because at this point I couldn't stand straight. I finally
reached her, her back faced towards me and she was yelling at a girl in front of her.

 


"Do you know how much this dress cost?" I heard Chaerin shouted as she pointed to the wet spot on her dress.

 

 

"Looks cheap to me." The brunette said.

 


"Honestly, the drink stain makes it look better."

 


"Excuse me?" Chaerin asked as she shifted her weight to one leg and placed her hand on her hip.

 


"You're excused." The girl glared, "You should actually leave because you're only embarrassing yourself by flaunting your
stuff at my boyfriend."

 


"Look, honey. You think a guy like him can get with a girl like me?" Chaerin looked the girl's boyfriend up and down with a disgusted look, "There's a reason why he's stuck with you."

 

 

Offended, the brunette threw the empty cup at her.

 

 

"You did not just do that." Chaerin yelled. 

 

 

Jiyong

 


"Let go of me!" Chaerin yelled. She was being carried by Top, struggling to get her two bare feet on the ground as she
whacked him with her pair of heels in her hand.

 

 

"I want to get my hands on that . She caught her boyfriend staring at me and she decided she can waltz her ugly over and spill her drink on me!"

 


"Chaerin, let's go her up!" Dara said, egging her on. 

 


Once again, I was carrying Dara bridal style. Right when I arrived at the club, I spotted a very drunk, angry Chaerin looking like she was ready to pounce on the girl in front of her. Behind Chaerin, I saw a drunk, confused Dara.

 


I was struggling to open the door because Dara kept moving in my arms.

 


"Stay still," I told her. It didn't help. It only caused her to giggle and move more.

 


"Hurry," Top begged, sounding out.of breath. "Chaerin weighs like an elephant."

 


I heard a 'thwack' and Top yelling out in pain.

 


"I will drop you." He threatened.

 


I manage to open the door and I set Dara down. Top copied me, but instead of gently letting her down Top dropped her. 

 


"Where's Tae?" Chaerin asked. "He would have jumped to kill the , not stop me!" 

 


As she mentioned Taeyang, the door swung open and stepped in Eric with Taeyang in his arms. 

 


"Why are you such a block?" He whined as Eric placed him on the couch with the girls. 

 


"Dude, you're drink." Eric rolled his eyes.

 


"And?"

 


"She was married." 

 


"And?" Taeyang continued, oblivious towards the problem.

 

 

"To her wife!" "And?" Taeyang asked, not getting it. 

 


Eric gave up. With a sigh, he left and he climbed up the stairs.

 

 

"I could have had a ." He muttered, crossing his arms as he pouted. 

 

 

--

 

Updated! Coz' I'm bored in the houze!