Chapter 26

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


There was a routine that Top and I followed as recovering patients in Dongwon's house. I would wake up at around 10 in the morning. It was later than the usual time I'd get up at because of the pain and sleeping medication that I took prior to bed the night before. From my bed, I'd order food for two through postmates.

 

 

Surfing the internet, I'd wait for the doorbell. After receiving the
brunch, I'd make my way over to Top's neighboring room. Together, we'd eat our late breakfast. This would happen again
for lunch and dinner. When we weren't eating in each other's company, I was back in my room.

 

 

I couldn't tell you what Top was doing when I wasn't around
but my day consisted of naps and a visit from Dr. Kim. He was a friend of Dongwon who specialized in muscle rehabilitation.
Once a day, Dr. Kim would come over to Dongwon's and we'd start with a session of physical therapy. Each visit, the difficulty
and time of the session increases.

 

 

The extreme stretching of my arms caused me to become a sweaty mess at the end of the exercise that Dr. Kim planned. After he worked me out, he moved to Top. His struggles could be heard through the walls for he usually groaned from uncomfort and pain.

 

 

However, today was different. After weeks of physical therapy of Dr. Kim, my arm was out of my sling. Top went from being pushed around in his bed to being pushed in a wheelchair to hobbling on his own on crutches. The both of us sat in the living room with Dongwon, waiting for Jiyong to pick us up.

 

 

It wasn't long before Jiyong arrived. Dongwon held open the door for me and Top. Top walked out and Jiyong helped him walk down the driving to the car.

 

 

"Thanks a lot," I said to Dongwon as I walked out of the front door of his house.

 


"No problem," he assured with a wide smile. "Really, if you need anything, please come to me."

 

 

"I will," I promised. I walked away from Dongwon and waved goodbye to him as he stayed at the door.

 

 

Top was halfway down the driveway with Jiyong by his side. I cut through the grass, seeing that it was the fastest way to the car. I hopped into the backseat. Instead of joining me, Top rode the passenger seat. I could feel Jiyong's piercing gaze through the rearview mirror as he drove. I pretended that I didn't know and continued looking downin my lap where I held my phone.
Jiyong and I haven't talked since the time I told him that I want to leave the mafia. I was planning to go the morning after the conversation but Jiyong, with the agreement of Dongwon, made me stay under the care of Dongwon until I got better.

 

 

Now that we are at this point, I have no idea what I was going to do. I'll have to figure that out until I get to my room.

 

 

Jiyong

 


Before I could turn off the engine, Dara got out of the car and zoomed in the house. I sighed, cutting off the engine with the
turn of the key and exiting out. I walked over to Top, who managed to get out of the car by himself. I stayed by his side
as we walked up to the driveway to the front door, in case he needed help with anything. The front door was left opened
by Dara. By the time we got there, I could see her already reaching the second floor.

 

 

"Jiyong, your father is in your room," Eric said, noticing me walk in with crippled Top.

 

 

"When did he come?' I asked.

 


"Just now," he answered."Okay, thank you."

 


"You go on ahead, I'm going to the kitchen," said Top, before he hobbled away in the direction of the food. Walking to the elevator, I pulled out my phone. In the elevator, I texted my father
to tell him I was coming up. The elevator doors slid open after the small chime of a bell and I arrived at the fourth floor. I
walked to my room and opened my door to see my father in my bed with his shoes on. I sighed and closed the door. 

 

 

"You could have at least taken off your shoes off," I pointed out. My father grumbled, kicking off his shoes.

 

 

"Did you get a new mattress?" He asked.

 


"I'm just sinking in here."

 


"I did, thanks for noticing," I said, dripping with sarcasm. "What are you doing here anyway?'

 


"Son, you said you needed to talk to me."

 

 

"Oh right." I had let it slipped out of my mind. After Dara told me she wanted out, I requested to speak with my father but he said he already had too much on his hands for a conversation. "Finally have time for me?"

 

 

My dad sat up, giving me a stern look, "I had my plate full and you know it. I bet you that whatever we are going to talk about is going to stupid."

 


I crossed my arms as I defended myself, "It's not."

 


"Okay, then, what is it?"

 


"Dara wants to leave the YG."

 


My father sighed, raising his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose, "Let her go then." 

 


"What?" I asked, not believing what I heard.

 


"I said to let her go. If that's what she wants, then let her."

 

 

"Why?" He wasn't making any sense. "You weren't like this when Tablo wanted to quit."

 


My father sat up on the bed and explained, "That is a different situation. He owes us money and already knew what he got himself into when joining this mafia. Dara? She's helped us in many ways and what she went through at Kyesang's must have been tough on her. She reminds me of your mo-"

 

 

 

"Don't bring up my mom," I frowned. My father cleared his throat from my little interruption and continued speaking,

 

 

"Chaerin told me before you called me, asking to talk. Other than being busy, I wanted to see how things play out. I knew you were going to try and stop her, because you are selfish. Although, I know you are smart and that you know you aren't doing the right thing. Do you even know what happened to her?"

 

 

I shook my head, answering him with a no, "She hasn't told me the specifics.

 


"She told Chaerin. Chaerin told me. It wasn't good. Of course, she'd want to leave." 

 

 

"She'll be tracked down by Kyesang," I argued.

 

 


"You act like we can't watch her when she isn't around. We can set up a few men around her house, or have someone follow her," my father suggested.

 


I frowned, sighing to relieve the heavyweight off of my chest. I wasn't acting on my selfishness as my father thought I was, but I couldn't help feel like it was my feelings that didn't want to let
her go. My heart felt uneasy.

 

 

Dara

 


I made it to my room, successfully avoiding any confrontation or contact from everyone. I closed the door behind me and scanned the room, looking at where to start.

 

 

I walked to my bed and lifted the blankets that hung off the sides of the perfectly made bed. Right where I left it, my two
suitcases I had was under my bed. I pulled them out and set the open on my bed.

 

 

There was a knock on the door before it opened slightly. Chaerin poked her head through the crack to see if anyone was in the room. Seeing me, she walked herself in.

 


"Hey," I said, a soft smile at my lips.

 


"Packing, already?" She asked, getting near to see my the situation on my bed.

 


"Yeah. I honestly don't think I need to. All the stuff I have now are the ones you guys bought for me."

 


"To replace your things that the  ruined, remember? It's basically yours."

 


"The stuff I lost didn't cost the fraction of what you spent on Jiyong's card," I laughed, remembering the hefty price tag
that came with the haul.

 

 

"I'll help you with your packing," Chaerin said. She went to my bathroom and came back with her arms filled with the clothes
from my closet. She set them on the bed and began to take off the hangers.

 

 

"I'll take them off the hangers and you fold."

 

 

With a system going, the first suitcase was filled. We were moving on to the second suitcase when there was another knock on the door. This time it was Jiyong.

 

"Dara, can you come with me?" He asked, finally speaking words to me. It was a long time since I heard his voice call out my name.

 


"Is it urgent? I'm packing with Chaerin," I said, trying my best to not be with Jiyong in fear of him trying to make me stay.

 

 

"I'm sure Chaerin wouldn't mind," Jiyong assured, almost threatening as he looked at her.

 


I turned around to see her myself. Chaerin looked at me and looked Jiyong and back to me. To save herself, she ran to
my bathroom and into my closet.

 

 

With no backup, I gave in, "Okay."

 

 

Dara

 


"Where are we going?" I asked, setting the shirt that was in my hands on the bed, leaving it for Chaerin to finish folding.

 

 

"My father wants to speak to you, he's in my bedroom," Jiyong explained as he held the door of my bedroom opened.

 

 

I walked out and he followed after me. Staying a few steps behind, Jiyong didn't catch up with me until we reached his
room.

 

 

In order for him to reach the door before me, Jiyong quickened his pace last minute. Yet again, he opened the door for me walked into his room first. Mr. Hyun Suk was ady in his room,
waiting for both of us. He was laying in Jiyong's bed, dead center, watching the television.

 

 

"You guys came earlier than expected, five minutes into this show," Mr. Hyun Suk said as he pointed to the tv. On the screen
was one of the episodes of The Office. "I thought Dara was going to put up a fight and make Jiyong carry you here."

 

 

I awkwardly chuckled as if that hadn't crossed my mind.

 

 

"Jiyong is telling me that you want to leave the mafia," Jiyong's father said.

 

 

He fumbled with the remote before managing to turn off the television. Mr. Hyun Suk, however, remained laying on his back. He had his hands underneath his head, causing his elbow to point upward at opposite sides, and his ankles crossed.

 

 

"Yeah, I do," I said. I was met with sudden nervousness. I've seen the movies. Talking with the leader of the mafia about leaving never ended with a good scene. The mafia sees leaving as an act of betrayal. Betrayal in the mafia never sits still with the members.

 

 

"You see, my son wants you to stay and I wanted to tell you that he is stupid."

 

 

I felt Jiyong beside me tense up at his father's insult, however, he remained silent.

 


"Really?" I asked, confused about where this conversation was going.

 


"As I told you when we first met, you remind me of my wife," said Mr. Hyun Suk. I noticed that Jiyong sighed and shifted slightly at the mention of his mother.

 

 

"She wanted to leave for her safety. I wanted her to be safe, so I let her. You want to leave for the same reason and I'm letting you because I like you. Of course, it would have been more romantic for my son said that since it is him who likes you dearly.

 

 

If you asked him now, he wouldn't let you leave but my word is better than his. I am the boss and he doesn't get this position
until I die and that's not happening soon."

 

 

"So, I can leave? It's not going to be like the movies? Where I have to stay because of some code?" I asked.

 


"In this situation, it doesn't have to be like the movies," Mr. Hyun Suk assured.

 

 

Jiyong

 


"Thank you," Dara said to my father. My dad nodded, acknowledging her gratitude.

 


"Jiyong, aren't you going to say something?" My father asked. I was quiet, silenced by my own anger and disappointment.

 

 

Instead of my father taking my side and making Dara stay with
us, he was willing to let her go. I shook my head, looking down at the floor. Even though my action said I didn't have anything to say, I had so much I was holding in. I wanted to stop Dara. My
father might have given her permission to leave but maybe there was a way for me to persuade her to stop. I looked at Dara and remembering that leaving was the best thing for her, considering her state of mind.

 

 

Conflicted, I suddenly didn't want tobe around anyone, especially Dara and my father. I met eyes with Dara and that was my last
straw. I turned around to the direction of my bedroom's exit and rushed out. 

 


Dara

 


Jiyong suddenly stormed out of his own room, leaving me and his father alone.

 

 

Mr. Hyun Suk cleared his throat and sat up to say, "Dara, we don't usually let people out of the mafia. I hope you don't let me
regret it."

 


"I won't," I promised. "I can't go to the police because I have blood on my own hands now."

 

 

"So I've heard, and how do you feel about it?" He asked, his face expression gentled.

 


"Disgusting," I answered. I watched Jiyong's father's face harden and I realized I must have offended him. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

 

 

"No, no. The criminal life isn't for everyone and I understand that. But you knew that, so why did you decide to take up my son's offer?"

 


I thought about it for a second before answering, "Actually, I think it's because, at that time, I thought playing along with
his offer was the only way to not end up dead. I had just woken up after passing out from an incident where I thought Jiyong shot me dead. I was planning to make a run for it if I ever got the chance to but after looking around, there was something that made me want to stay."

 


"The wealth? My son?" guessed Mr. Hyun Suk.

 


"The mansion was nice, your son was scary at the time, but I think it was the wagon that sold me," I said, remembering
the warm memory of Jiyong letting me drive the Mercedes Benz G Wagon.

 

 

Jiyong's father chuckled. "When are you planning to leave?"

 

 

"Chaerin is actually helping me pack right now," I said, explaining.

 


"Feel free to take whatever you need," he offered.

 

 

"Does that include the car?" I asked.

 

 

"Unfortunately, I don't own that one. You already know that it's Chaerin's. Other than that, take whatever."

 


"I'll keep that in mind," I said, bringing the conversation to an end. "Thank you, again."

 

 

I left Jiyong's bedroom and Mr. Hyun Suk stayed, turning back on the television to watch his show. In the elevator, I decided
to head over to the kitchen on the ground floor. I needed water. Instead of going inside the kitchen through the dining area, I walked directly into the kitchen through the back door.

 

 

The room wasn'tbempty for there were a couple of people
dropping off their dishes into the sink. I walked to the fridge that held most drinks and liquids and opened it. As expected, rows and rows of sodas, waters, and juices were neatly aligned and
stocked side by side. I grabbed a bottle of water, disturbing the satisfying symmetry.

 


I gently closed the door of the fridge with my foot as my hands were busy in opening the bottled water. Drinking, I heard more people walking in. They greeted me with a smile and I decided
that it was time for me to head back to my room.

 

 

I pushed the button for the elevator and stepped back. I stood still, waiting when suddenly someone brushed past me from
behind. I balanced myself from falling and looked behind to see someone in crutches, crutching away.

 

 

"Taeyang?" I asked myself, wondering if I saw right. I shook my head, maybe it was Top and I saw wrong.

 

 

Although, I knew for a fact that Top wasn't able to pick up that much speed. Seconds later, the elevator doors opened and I walked in. With the elevator doors still opened, I saw Top. He was limping, without his crutches, clearly in pain and anger.

 

 

"Tae! You fat , come back!" He yelled, "I need those!"

 

 

Debating on whether I should step in and help or not, the elevator doors decided for me and closed itself. I'll just have to
pretend I didn't see that. I reached my room and opened my door.

 

 

Instead of what I expected to walk into, Chaerin packing, I walked into Chaerin sleeping in my bed while some of the YG men were packing the rest of my stuff into boxes..

 


"What are you guys doing here?' I asked.

 


"Shhh," Lorenzo said, shushing me. Even Jinwoo was beside him with his finger held up to his lips.

 


"Chaerin told us to come and help," Eric explained, setting a box to the side.

 

 

"When did Chaerin fall asleep?" I questioned.

 


"Right when we got here," Seunghoon said.

 


"We walked in and she said she was going to take a break. Next thing you know, she's out."

 

 

Wondering how much they got done, I questioned, "How much more do we need to pack?"

 


"We are almost done," Lorenzo said.

 


Leaving Chaerin to sleep longer, I helped Lorenzo, Eric, Jinwoo, and Seunghoon finish packing.

 


"Why are we packing your stuff anyway?" Seunghoon asked. He had come from getting the last bit of clothes from my closet.

 

 

"Uh," I said, searching for words to form a sentence to explain my current situation. "I'm going to be moving back to my
apartment."

 

 

Jinwoo raised his eyebrows in suspicion. Being the man with few words, he chose to not say anything.

 


"Why?" Eric questioned. "Are you not going to be coming here anymore?"

 


I nodded my head and explained deeper, "It's been a little over three months. I got a notification a little while back saying that
my doctor license has been re-activated. I'm no longer suspended. I plan on going back on what I used to do."

 

 

"Oh right," Seunghoon said, remembering, "Jiyong offered this position because he made you lose your job in the first place. I thought you were going to be here permanently. I mean, working in the hospital seems exhausting and boring. It can't possibly pay or offer more than YG. Why do you want to go back? How much are they paying you? Do you really like working there? Don't you think you are going to miss working with us? I think the hours here are better than the hours there, don't you? How I see it that working here is better than there. When are you ever going to ride the types of cars we have? You haven't gone with us to Italy yet. I bet the hospital doesn't take you on abroad trips. Can't you stay a little bit longer?"

 

 

It has been a long time since I've talked with Seunghoon but he hasn't changed at all. The young man in his early 20s was as
talkative as ever. I couldn't remember the first question he asked me before rambling on with more questions. I struggled to answer.

 


"Would you guys shut up?" Chaerin angerly said, stirring awake. Everyone strayed their attention to Chaerin in my bed, away from me. "Everyone except Dara, get out."

 

 

The boys frowned, feeling wrongly yelled at. Nevertheless, they listened to Chaerin and headed in the direction of the exit.

 

 

"Thank you, guys," I said as they reached the door.

 


Jinwoo walked past me and patted me on the back before leaving. I just gave him a small smile as if I understood what he
was trying to imply. I'm sure it was a sign of support. I turned back to Chaerin. She stretched and twisted in bed, cracking
some bubbled up tension between her bones.

 

 

"Now, let's get these into a car," Chaerin said, getting up and out from under the covers. One look at the boxes on the floor,
Chaerin realized her mistake. "Wait, call the boys back in."

 

 

Jiyong

 


I sat down in the chair behind my work desk. I was currently in my office. It was the only room that I thought guaranteed
emptiness for me to figure out my own thoughts.

 

 

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and opened up the chat with Chaerin.

 


Jiyong: What are you doing?

 


Chaerin: I'm with Dara. We are planning to leave right now.

 


Jiyong: Okay, I'll take her. Don't tell her.

 


Chaerin: Really, Jiyong?

 


Matteo: Get her to your car out in front. I'll bring it around.

 

 

Chaerin: Don't you dare try to stop her.

 

 

I sighed at Chaerin's last text. I chose not to reply since at this point I had no idea what I was going to do. I turned off my
phone and headed downstairs. I reached the garage and drove the jeep out to the front of the house.

 

 

I set the car to park and waited in the driver's seat. A few minutes later, based on the time on the dashboard, Dara and
Chaerin came outside the house with a rolling suitcase each. Seeing that Jinwoo, Lorenzo, Seunghoon, or Eric didn't follow
behind them, I wondered if that was all she was taking.

 

 

The back of the car was already openedand Chaerin and Dara lifted the suitcases, filling the trunk.

 


Dara

 


"I'll make sure that the Seunghoon and them will bring the rest of your stuff later," Chaerin said, closed the trunk. 

 

 

"They did already did a lot today," I told Chaerin as I made my way to the passenger side. I noticed that Chaerin was following me and not going to the other side where the driver seat was.

 

 

"Where are you going?"

 

 

"Back inside," Chaerin said, pointing to the mansion.

 


"Aren't we going to my apartment right now?" I asked, confused.

 

 

"We aren't, you are," Chaerin explained, pointing inside the car, "Jiyong is taking you."

 


I turned around to look through the slightly tinted window of the passenger side and saw Jiyong in the driver's seat, looking back at me. I looked away from him once I made out his figure and turned back to Chaerin.

 


"Please don't let me go with him," I begged.

 

 

"You guys need to talk before it gets weird, I'm doing you a favor, sis," Chaerin assured me, waving goodbye as she walked away. I stood outside the car, watching her enter the house. I heard the
window behind me roll down.

 


"Aren't you going to get in?" Jiyong asked.

 

 

It was clear he was frustrated with his lack of patience. Reluctantly, I opened the car door and settled myself in the
passenger seat.

 

 

 

 

--

 

Hi! Dara still leave, eh?