Chapter 19

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


"Dara, sweetie." June's mother shook me awake. "You missed lunch, it's dinner time. Go on ahead and get something to eat, I'll watch my boy and the other two for you."

 


"Thank you," I said as I got up from my desk chair and blushed out of embarrassment.

 

 

I had fallen asleep from watching all three injured people sleep.
Like them, I was exhausted, for different reasons of course. I had partied the night before, got only three hours of sleep, and had to work on three patients with a major headache. I had really strained myself.

 


I walked out of my office after grabbing my phone and decided to take the stairs in hopes of waking me up. However, that one flight of stairs did the opposite and tired me even more. I felt an instant regret as I yawned, I should have taken the elevator down. Nevertheless, I made it to the kitchen on the ground floor.

 

 

On the table, there were clam chowder bowls. I served myself one and sat down at dining room table. Some people I was
acquainted with came up to me and asked me about June, Suhyun, and Chanwoo. Minji and Dongwoo also held a conversation with me on the topic of Kyesang.

 

 

"The meeting is going to be in five minutes," Dongwoo told me. "If you don't finish your chowder bowl you can bring it to the 
meeting room." 

 

 

"Meeting?" I asked, unaware that one was being held.

 


"Yeah." Dongwoo smiled as he asked the Asian women next to him, "That means we're going to do something big, right, Minji?"

 

 

"Definitely. So don't miss it," Minji said.

 


They both got up with their empty dishes, leaving me alone to finish my food. I quickly put my plate in the sink and went
back out into the dining room to grab a meatball, meant for the spaghetti, as a snack for my trip to the second floor. I exited the dining room, going to the living room.

 

 

The front door opened and an old man walked in. He was tall and looked fit for his age. He closed the door behind him and began wiping his shoes on the rug. When finished, he stood still and scanned the area, mumbling to himself. He took a couple steps towards the accent wall of framed pictures and moved one.

 


I haven't seen him around the mafia house but he does look familiar. By the way, he was looking around, it made it seem like he was lost. I opened my mouth to ask him if he needed help with anything and froze. My eyes landed on the mafia portrait behind him and his face came into recognition. It was Jiyong's
father and the most wanted drug lord alive, Kwon Hyun Suk.

 

 

I stared at the standing man before me, recalling everything I've ever read or heard of him. He was cruel and sinister, some would say crazy and heartless. All of what a monster is believed to be was standing a couple yards away from me.

 

 

Out of shock, I acted on my first poor intention. I screamed.

 

 

Hyun Suk

 


I closed the door behind me after entering the mafia house that my son, my daughter, and some of the best members of my illegal empire where living in. I looked down as I wiped off the mud at the bottom of my shoes on the rug, getting rid of evidence that showed I had chosen to walk through the lawn rather than walking the long route of the sidewalk.

 

 

Before taking a step further into the mansion, I scanned the living room out of curiosity. 

 


"How is the place still standing with Taeyang and Top living here?" I mumbled to myself, surprised that the place was intact. I would have expected that this mafia house to be trashed. Of course, I knew that Chaerin would never let that happened. I could always trust her to keep the two in some sort of check. 

 

 

I noticed a picture frame, on the accent wall of the living room, was placed in a rather odd spot. It broke the aesthetic and was further from the rest of the photos. I walked to it and pushed the frame aside, revealing a big hole in the wall. A sticky note that had Top's name, in Taeyang's handwriting, was stuck next to it.

 

 

I sighed, "Not everything could be perfect."

 


I slid the frame back to its odd place, concealing the hole that Taeyang obviously created and tried blaming on Top. I was going to make my way to the meeting room when a women's scream startled me. I located the source and found a lady in shock a few yards away from me. As soon as we made eye contact, she stopped and apologized. 

 


"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I was just scared for a moment. N-no, scared isn't the word, I meant s-shocked. I was shocked. I didn't think I was ever going to see you in person."

 


"Really, considering the relationship you have with my son?" I asked her. I recognized her immediately. How could Inot if my son talked so much about her?

 

 

Aside from Jiyong, I've seen the news and all the selfies that Chaerin took and posted with her on facebook. With my
question, she was speechless. I decided to ask another, "Tell me, did my son ever fix the elevator?" 

 


"Y-yes."

 


I walked passed her to go to the elevator and realized she wasn't following. I stopped and turned around. "Aren't you going to attend the meeting?" 

 


"Right, um, I could take the stairs."

 


"I rather you join me."

 


"Yes, sir," Dara replied, quickly coming to my side.

 


We got into the elevator and Dara pressed for the second floor. I noticed that her hand was shaking. I didn't stare at her directly face to face but I examined her through the reflected mirror walls of the elevator.

 

 

"I didn't take you as a woman who's into criminals or crime, coming from a prestigious hospital, good college and medical school, and a financially stable family. Don't be alarmed that I know so much, we run background checks. You do have a family history of cops."

 


"I-i didn't think I was either." She admitted. She answered while looking at the floor as if it was the one who was speaking to her.

 

 

"I wouldn't be surprised if you packed up your bags and left for England," I said. 

 

 

Dara was confused. "Why would you say that?"

 


"You remind me of Jiyong's mother."

 


"How so?'

 


"She wasn't into the illegal stuff. However, she stayed until she couldn't handle it anymore. Now, she's in England, living a
simpler and "legal" life. The irony is she's doing all of that under a fake identity. I could have gone with her with my son but many people had already joined YG and we were in a tight spot as a mafia. If I were to have dropped the illegal crime organization, their lives would have been negatively affected. So I hope that would help you think of me less than a monster." 

 

 

The elevator doors opened apart and we stepped out of it. I led the way to the meeting room. The door was already opened but I stepped aside for Dara to walkin first. She took a seat next to Chaerin, who saved her a spot, while I parted ways with her to stand in the front with Jiyong. My son gave me a confused look,
questioning my arrival with Dara.

 


"What did you talk about with Dara on your way here?" Jiyong asked as he waited for people to take their seats and stop
discussing among each other.

 


"The usual thing a drug lord dad would say to his drug lord son's potential wife."

 


"Which is?" 

 


"That if she turns to the police and stabs me in the back, I would personally yank that knife out and she'll end up in a ditch with her body so messed up she'll be unrecognizable." 

 

 

"Dad!"

 


I could see the anger rising within him. Something about me didn't like how much passion he held for her. It was the same
passion I had for his mother that cause YG to be in danger. For him and for now, I was going to keep my silence. 

 


"I kidding." I laughed, "That would be a twisted thing to do." 

 


My son sighed in relief, "But you did dothat to Daesung."

 


"I did, didn't I?" I smiled. "Should we continue with the meeting and see if the same can happen to Kyesang?" 

 

 

--

 

Dara

 


Jiyong explained the phone call that happened between Kyesang and him, "Kyesang still insists that it was us that killed his men that night. He wants five of our best men in return of the five deaths of s."

 


"I vote Jinwoo," Seunghoon said, jokingly.

 


Jinwoo, sitting beside him, lifted his head from thinking and looked at Seunghoon disapprovingly. Seunghoon swung his arm over Jinwoo's shoulders, bringing him close as he boasted,

 

 

"Don't worry, I'll go with you too. I'm obviously on the top five."

 

 

"Top five?" Chaerin asked.

 


"Yeah, top five of the best looking YG members."

 


Taeyang exaggeratedly groaned in pain, "I guess that means I'll be going."

 

 

"I volunteer as tribute!" Top said, egotistically raising his hand in the air.

 

 

"It doesn't work like that, Top," Chaerin said.

 


An idea came to my head and I raised my hand for either Jiyong or his father to call on me. People saw and looked at me
questioningly.

 

 

"If you have something to say then just say it. You don't have to raise your hand. It's not a classroom." Chaerin told me, quickly grabbing my hand and putting it down.

 


"Oh, well, what if we poke around and find evidence on the real suspects that killed Kyesang's men? Surely if we find out the ones who really did it, Kyesang would get off our backs."

 

 

Chaerin shook her head and explained the complexity of it, "It's not that simple. The scene where Kyesang's men were attacked at was cleaned up by Kyesang's mafia. Apparently, it was a clean attack on the five. Nothing was left behind, literally. Their wallets, watches, jewelry, and even their shoes were taken from them. A real low blow that high-level mafias wouldn't do."

 

 

"It could have been one of the many newer crews, gangs that are trying to make a name for themselves," Taeyang suggested, putting his two cents into the conversation.

 

 

"Yet, they didn't claim the attack as their own doing?" I asked.

 

 

"If people knew that they were the ones that manage to take down five best members of Kyesang's mafia, it would gain themselves popularity. However, it would make them a target by Kyesang. As you can tell, he has a thing for revenge."

 

 

"Don't we all?" Lorenzo asked. "We can't let Kyesang get away after hurting Suhyun, June, and Chanwoo."

 

 

People murmured in agreement. Hyun Suk cleared his throat and everyone turned their heads to face him. He gave an evil smile as he revealed his plan, "We give Kyesang what he wants and more. We are going to give him our best men. It so happens that all of our mafia members are nothing but the best."

 

 

A bad feeling in my gut told me to start worrying. A powerful mafia armed with weapons attacking another big mafia that
was also well armed with guns does not sound like a good idea.

 

 

-- 

 


The meeting ended with Jiyong telling people that they got an hour to get ready for the surprise attack. After everyone is
done gathering their weapons, we were to meet back in the meeting room to discuss the fighting plan.

 


"Apparently, we are going to one of the Kyesang's mafia house and attack there," I informed June, Suhyun, and Chanwoo as I packed my emergency aid bag. They were curious from being left out and stationed in the office.

 


"That sounds fun. Although, I'll sit this one out." June said.

 

 

"As if you had an option, boy." His mother scolded.

 

 

Chaerin entered the office, holding a gun. I flinched at the sight of it and quickly raised my arms in defense.

 

 

"Whoa," I exclaimed, "Please don't point the gun aimlessly! Put that away."

 


"It's for you," Chaerin said, rolling her eyes. "Look, I know about the whole 'not killing people' thing, but you should come with us protected."

 


I shook my head, "Why would I need it? I'm only there to help you guys when someone gets hurt."

 

 

"Unexpected things can happen," Chaerin argued. She, then, looked over at the three injured people occupying my office.

 

 

"You should know that not everyone plans to get hurt."

 

 

"No, I can't," I said, pushing it away.

 


"Dara, why aren't you going to take the gun?" Suhyun asked, confused.

 


"I can't. I don't want to kill anyone."

 


"Why? Is it against the doctor laws?" Chanwoo questioned.

 

 

"If there were doctor laws, I'm pretty surenDara wouldn't be working for us," Suhyun told Chanwoo.

 

 

"No, but I-"

 


"Fine," Chaerin said, giving in. She dug into her pocket and pulled out a switchblade. Chaerin begged as she extended her arm to give me the knife, "Please just take this then. If you don't
want to kill anyone, then the least you can do is harm them."

 

 

I reluctantly accepted the weapon from her, only to make Chaerin satisfied with no intentions of using it. I turned away
from her to put it into my bag when she stopped me.

 

 

"Don't put it in your bag."

 


I zipped up my bag, seeing that I had nothing else to pack, and put it on. Then, I lifted the bottom of my shirt to reveal the
front pockets of my jeans.

 


"You got to be kidding me." She rolled her eyes.

 


"Well, where am I suppose to put it then?" I asked.

 

 

Chaerin pointed to my chest as if that was the obvious answer.

 

 

"My bra?" I asked, not liking the idea.

 


"Duh."

 


"No," I said and continued to slide it into my pockets.

 

 

Chaerin tried grabbing the switchblade from me. "No, put it in your bra. Give it to me."

 


"No!" I said, trying to get it away from her. 

 

 

She successfully got the weapon out of my grip and proceeded to shove the blade under my shirt and into my bra. Chanwoo
looked away respectively while June's mother covered her son eyes with her hand.

 

 

"Stop getting so handsy," I told her as I stopped fighting back and allowed her to conceal the weapon.

 

 

"I'm trying to make it look natural," Chaerin said, "Or else your left is going to look lumpier than your right."

 

"Chaerin, I'm blaming you if this thing opens and slice my off."

 

 

Hyun Suk

 


The members of my mafia that wanted to take part in the attack filled the meeting room for the second meeting of the night.
My son had left me, sitting next to Dara. She looked nervous and Jiyong was trying to assure her with a smile. He noticed that it
didn't work and took her hand, caressing it with comfort, in which Dara relaxed.

 


I looked away from the two and saw Top and Taeyang who were sitting across from Jiyong and Dara. Just like me, Top and Taeyang had witnessed the act of PDA and was mocking them. Taeyang dramatically grabbed Top's hand as Top terribly acted as if he was terrified. 

 


I cleared my throat to get everyone's attention, noticing that everyone was here. All focused on me, but Top and Taeyang. They decided to take it a step further and made kissing faces to each other.

 

 

"Hey, lovebirds, get a room!" I said.  Top and Taeyang pulled apart and instantly apologized.

 


"Sorry."

 

"Sorry, sir."

 


"Keep your hands to yourself until after I finish explaining to you guys the plan, alright?" I chuckled. 

 

 

Dara

 


"I called Kyesang before this meeting and negotiated to give him Lorenzo, Suwon, Sunghoon, Jiwon, and Jaejin," Jiyong's father explained. "He believes that the exchange will happen in two days so he won't be ready for the surprise attack tonight."

 

 

Hyun Suk walked away from the table and walked to the whiteboard.

 


"When we reach Kyesang's mafia house we have to surround them by foot in designated areas. Jiyong will be stationed on the west wing, Taeyang at the front of the house, Jinwoo can have the east wing, and Chaerin will occupy the back of the house. Each with a group of 10 people. Of course, some will have to be
scattered around further away from the house just in case some of Kyesang's men might escape. I want to kill as many men
possible without losing any of mine. Let's have a fun tonight, ladies and gents."

 

 

--

 


By the time we reached Kyesang's mafia house, it was midnight. I got out of the car, slipped on my backpack, and fixed my Bluetooth earpiece as I walked to join the body of people.

 

 

"Where's the house?" I asked Top, whispering to match the hush voices that was being spoken in the crowd.

 

 

"We are going to take a short walk to it in a bit. We can't drive straight to it since the cars will give us away," Top answered.

 

 

"It's dark," I said, concerned if we'd get lost. Unlike our mafia house, the place was covered with trees. It was as if it was
built in the middle of the forest. To add to the wild feel, the road that led to here was bumpy and winding. I felt someone at my
side, grabbing my hand.

 


"Don't worry. If you're scared, you can hold my hand." Taeyang winked at me, promising, "I know the way."

 

 

Chaerin came to my rescue and separated Tae's hand from mine. "Come on, let's get going."

 

 

Taeyang led the way to the house and we, as well as other members of YG, followed. All of us stayed quiet as we moved in case someone had anything important to say through the ear-piece.

 

 

Only the sound of clothing rubbing against each other on one person as they walked and their footsteps on the brittle leaves were heard. Kyesang's mafia house came into view and we slowed down to a stop. I got a better look at people faces due to the light coming from within the mansion.

 

 

Somewhere familiar and others were complete strangers. A shadow was cast on me as Top stopped in front of me to
fidget with something.

 

 

"What's that?" I asked as I pointed to the black object in his hand.

 


"A bomb," He answered. Top lifted up his other hand to show me a remote with a red button in the middle.

 

 

"Top, are you ready?" Eric asked Top through the earpiece.

 


Why Top? Exactly who thought it was a good idea to give Top a bomb, an explosive thing that can wipe out people?

 

 

"No, none of the windows of the second floor is open," Chaerin reported.

 


Taeyang picked up a rock the size of his hand and aimed at the window closet to us on the second floor. He launched it and
broke the window.

 

 

"Problem solved," Taeyang said, dusting off his hands.

 

 

Top threw the bomb inside the window and wasted no time in hitting the red button. We heard an explosion from inside, along with shouting. Then, it went silent. I looked around to see that
everyone was still.

 


"What we waiting for?" I asked, whispering to Top.

 

 

I heard some wrestling coming from behind us. I turned around and came face to face with Chaerin.

 

 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, remembering that she was placed on the south side of the building.

 


"It got boring over there." She shrugged.

 


"We're waiting for their move."

 


"Guys, the door is opening." Someone said, alerting us through the small devices.

 

 

An angry man walked out slowly with his hands in the air. It was clear that he didn't agree to surrender.

 

 

"They're surrendering," I told everybody. "What do we do now? Pack up and leave?" 

 


"Lorenzo, shoot him," Jiyong ordered through the earpiece. Looking away from the man, I made eye contact with Jiyong,
who wasn't that far away.

 


"He's surrendering, though?" I questioned his order.

 

 

He looked away, breaking eye contact, "That's not what we came for."

 


"Wait a min-" I said, trying to get a word in. I was too late for Lorenzo, who was a few yards away from me, aimed his gun. He got the man in the neck, instantly killing him. "Oh my gosh!"

 

 

All hell broke loose as the man hit the ground.

 

 

--

 

And the action begins!