Chapter 2

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


Remembering how heated the argument was, I grew worried. I carefully walked towards the man on the ground and gasped. The first thing that came into sight was the fast-growing blood stain located at his stomach. I quickly crouched down by his side and checked the pulse at his wrist, noticing how torn up his fist were.

 

 

"Sir, I'm a doctor. I'm going to have to remove your shirt to help you." I informed him. Wouldn't want him to misunderstand that I was trying to take advantage of him while he was close to death.

 


"Mmm." He groaned, too much in pain to speak.

 


"I need you to stay with me. I need you to stay awake." I told him as I lifted his shirt high enough to reveal a long and thick
cut. He must have been stabbed.

 


I took off my cardigan and pressed it against his wound. At the same time, I reached into my purse and grabbed my
phone, speed dialing Gummy. She picked up on the third ring.

 

 

"Where are you? It's already 4:45, Dr. Kim had to perform a surgery witho-"

 


"Gummy, send an ambulance down the street to the alley of the convenience store and the pet shop."

 


"What happened?" Gummy asked. "Are you alright?"

 

 

"I found a man who was stabbed. Hurry, he's losing a lot of blo-"

 

 

I was unable to finish my sentence, stopped as my phone was grabbed by the man.

 


"No hospitals." He forced the words out of him. After pressing the end call button, he went back limp, exhausted by the strength he had used up.

 


"Don't worry. Everything is going to be okay. There is nothing to be scared off at the hospital. We are there to help you."

 


Jiyong

 


If I wasn't in so much pain, I would be laughing at what the helping woman above me just said. I wasn't scared of the hospital. I don't cower in fear because of needles. It's just
men like me, a criminal, couldn't afford to go to the hospital.

 

 

It's one of the many ways to get caught. Your name goes on the hospital record, the police finds it, and then next thing you know, you're no longer in a hospital bed but a prison cell. 

 


I tried focusing on my breathing, wincing every time the woman applied harder pressure onto my cut. As I got lifted into the ambulance, my vision became blurry. I tried blinking it away but my eyelids grew heavier and the pain in my stomach intensified. Damn, it hurts like a .

 

 

I was conscious enough to able to hear. If anything the sounds were amplified in my ears. Why the is the ambulance siren so loud?

 

 

Dara

 

 

The ambulance came in no time. I waited for the paramedics to take out the trolly. As I did, I looked at the face of the wounded man. He looked as if he was disappointed that the helping vehicle arrived.

 

 

I helped the paramedics get the wounded man in the back of the ambulance. I let the paramedics do their job and sat
silently.

 


This was the first time I've ridden in the back of the ambulance. I scanned over the medical gear and my eyes landed on the man.

 

 

The injured man was sweating profusely. I located the tissue box on one of the built-in shelf of the ambulance and
started to wipe his forehead. In order to, I had to swipe his hair away from his face. As my fingers gently pushed back his hair, he flinched despite his unconsciousness. Without his hair that clung to his forehead from the beads of sweat, his attractive face was revealed.

 

 

On his face, bruises were starting to form and the cuts were bleeding. My eyes dropped to see his exposed upper body. It
was heavily tatted. Even in this situation, his aura was still uninviting, cold, and intimidating.

 

 

We rolled him into an open room and began to start the checkup. I had three nurses at my aid; one nurse was
scrambling for supplies, the other was attaching the man to the IV and monitor as the last nurse wrote quickly on the
patient's clipboard.

 

 

I took this time to analyze the wound. Luckily, the knife got nowhere near vital organs. The man was fit, so the cut ran
through his six-pack, only tearing his skin and muscles. After checking for air bubbles, we were good to get started.

 

 

I estimated about 17 stitches for the long cut. Lifting up my mouth mask, I began working on the wound.

 

 

Jiyong

 

 

I woke up to the smell of strong disinfectant and the sight of white walls. Movement by the open door caught my attention. A doctor was standing in the doorway.

 

 

"How are you feeling?" She asked as she tilted her head, making her messy bun flop to the side.

 

 

I was feeling lightheaded, and there was major aching down in my stomach.

 

 

"Like I've been hit by a bus," I replied, sounding raspy.

 

 

Dara

 

 

"Alright," I said, unsure of how I could've responded to his comment.

 

 

"I'm Dr. Park," I introduced myself.

 

 

"You're lucky that I happened to be there to find you. I don't take you as a lucky person because you did end up getting
stitches."

 

 

"Trust me, sweetheart. I'm unlucky." He said, monotoned. 

 

 

Again, I'm clueless on how to respond.

 

 

"Do you need anything? More pillows? Water?" I asked since the chitchat was going nowhere.

 

 

"Ice water."

 

 

Jiyong

 

 

"Okay, I will be right back." My eyes followed Dr. Park as she walked out. I recognized her from the alleyway. Kyesang
stabbed me and pushed me to the ground. I couldn't get up, everything in my body hurt. After a few minutes of laying on
the ground at the brick of passing out, I was shaken awake. I had opened my eyes to face a beautiful girl. Her lips were
moving but I couldn't hear anything. That moment, I thought that I had died and an angel appeared to take me away.

 

 

I lifted my shirt and looked down at my cut. It was now closed up with stitches.

 

 

I frowned. An angel? Did I really think I deserved to go to heaven? I chuckled at my stupidity. 

 

 

I wiggled my toes to check the strength of my legs. My body ached as I moved to sit up. I was attached to a bunch of wires which I quickly took off, including the IV needle. 

 

 

In one rugged movement, I tried my best to stay upright. Standing took a lot of energy. I step forward and easily lost my balance.

 

 

"ing gravity," I swore as I fought to stay vertical. Time to get out of here before they start asking for my identity. 

 

 

Dara

 

 

I made my way to the cafeteria, grabbing a cup of ice water for the patient. Walking back, Dong Won joined me.

 

 

"Woah, zombie alert!" He joked as he saw me, pretending to be horrified.

 

 

"Har har." I said, sarcastically.

 

 

"Are you heading to the west wing?" He asked as he comfortably swung his arm over my shoulder.

 

 

"Yes, you?" I asked.

 

 

"Yeah, let's walk together." Dong Won smiled, cheerfully, as he stuck his other hand into the pocket of his coat. He always looked lively. To the other staff, the hospital drains their energy. You started off as a human at the beginning of
your shift and slowly become a zombie.

 

 

Retrieving his hand, he pulled out a small red bottle and gave it to me. I turned the bottle around in order to read the label.
I laughed as I realized it was a 5-hour energy drink.

 

 

"Thanks."

 

 

"Shhh, it's the antidote." He joked as he winked, hiding one of his gorgeous brown eyes. Dong Won laughed as he ran his
fingers through his brown locks. We both took a quick glance into the staff's lounge as we walked passed by it.

 

 

Dong Won laughed at the sight of Gummy taking a nap. She was sitting on a chair, using her arms as a pillow as she laid
down her head on the table.

 

 

"I'll check on her," Dong Won said.

 

 

I made it to room 421, where my patient was held, with the cup of ice water full. I made sure not to spill any water.

 

 

The door that I left opened was now closed. Not thinking twice about it, I knocked on the door before heading in. A nurse could've shut the door after checking on him.

 

 

I placed the cup on the bedside table and turned to an empty bed. The wires to the monitor were spread out on the floor,
along with the IV tube. Confused, I looked around in the room. I was completely alone. I quickly walked to the bathroom of the room and knocked on the door.

 

 

"Sir, are you in there?" I asked.

 

 

There was no response. My hand twisted the handle to find it unlocked. I opened the door to find it empty. There was only a reflection of me looking bewildered in the mirror.

 

 

"Dr. Park, what's wrong?" A nurse asked, coming from behind me. Curious at why I was standing in the bathroom
looking flabbergasted.

 

 

"The patient is gone."

 

 

--

Hi guys! Liking the story so far? Comment down below what's your thought about chapter 2! :3