Chapter 29

The Mafia's Doctor

Jiyong

 


Rather than be slapped to get knocked out, I was getting palmed left and right to wake up.

 

 

The current beating was adding more damage to my sickly state. I couldn't remember the last time where I was this badly harmed. Even at rest, my limbs were aching with a burning sensation. The slightest touch and movement became unbearable. Breathing became a struggle. What's was once a conscious thing to do was now something to be done manually.

 

 

The constant pain at my lungs reminded me that I need to exhale and inhale. As I breathed through my mouth, the metallic, almost irony, taste told me that more blood was threatening to come up. Even though my mouth was left a gap with the intentions of groaning in pain, nothing was voiced.

 

 

I didn't know if my body was able to take anymore trauma. I opened my eyes after I felt the series of strikes stop. It was dark and my vision was temporarily impaired, due to the hard hits to the head, but I could make a few things upon my surroundings.

 

 

The multiple tiny pricks I felt poking through my clothes told me I was laying on the grass. Grass indicated I was outside, so
did the colder temperature and the wind.

 

 

"Wake up, you ," the man said, knowing well that I had already woken up from my blackout. 

 

 

I heard footsteps approaching me and I turned my head to the sound of it. I couldn't make out the figure but based on the smell of familiar old-man cologne, I knew it was Kyesang. His presence made me remember the hatred I had for him. Of
course, Kyesang and his mafia played dirty.

 

 

They took their toll on me even after I lost conscious.

 

 

"We're catching a helicopter ride to Venice," Kyesang said. As if on cue, the spinning of helicopter blades could be heard.

 

 

Kyesang spoke a little louder, "The only problem for you is that there's no room."

 

 

I tried to make sense of what Kyesang was getting at. I felt two pairs of hands gripping my elbow. They began to drag me towards the helicopter. The sounds of the blades against the air got louder as I got closer. The men stopped moving me,
leaving me on the ground, right at the legs of the chopper. Their hands roamed my body as they strapped me in a harness.

 

 

Once seeing that was secured, they moved onto my hands. They were untied only to be taped to the horizontal bar that connected each parallel legs of the aircraft. In my mind, things began to click and Kyesanh confirmed it.

 

 

Yelling to strain his voice over the sound of the helicopter blades, Kyesang said, "Atleast you'll get a good view, eh?"

 

 

Kyesang hoisted himself into the helicopter, making sure to step on my left hand in the process. I threw my head back as an
immediate response to pain and groaned. I couldn't make out the talk that was happening from within. Seconds after, the helicopter rose. I hung there by my arms.

 

 

The harness did nothing to carry me for it was longer, teasing me by being so useless. The temptation of freeing my hands was quickly put out, doubting if the harness was strong enough to support me. Gravity weighted me down causing every
pained muscle that made me stretch. The pain my full body was experiencing was set aside as I started to feel the elevation
in my stomach. 

 


My feet were far from the ground. Rather than looking down, I titled my head up and shifted my gaze upwards. The view was just as unpleasant. Sticking his head out, Kyesang smiled a sinister smile. Waving teasingly at me, I was looking at the devil
himself. This was hell. 

 


Dara

 


We gathered into Chaerin's room. Top joined us after using the bathroom. Sullen, we occupied our own spaces. Chaerin took the bed. Taeyang laid down on the couch. Top sat in the chair that belonged to the desk in the room.

 

 

Halfway deep into the bean bag chair, I was sunken in. I watched as they went onto their phones. Chaerin, Tae, and Top decided to contact all to be on the lookout for Kyesang and his mafia. By eight in the morning, with no sleep, all three were answering calls and taking down whereabouts.

 

 

Without a phone, I was unable to help. In an exhausted state, my attention was unfocused and I fought with myself to stay awake. The heaviness of my eyelids became too much to hold open, resulting in me getting a few shut-eye.

 

 

Seeing the back of my eyelids as I slept, my vision was dark. Rather than a dream, a memory played in my mind. I was back
at my apartment, where I was a few hours prior. At the brink of passing out, I was struggling to stay awake. My view through
my opened eyes was blurry but I could make out someone taking my phone from my hand. With no strength to fight for my
phone, I let go.

 


Kyesang's voice was muffled to my ears, "You can remove the tape. After we are done with Jiyong, we can have fun with Dara
next."

 

 

I didn't have to move my head to see that the man had slipped my phone into his pocket in order to free his hands. He, then, proceeded to unbound me. With this occurring information, I woke up with a realization. My sudden jolt surprised everyone in the room.

 


"What's wrong?" Chaerin asked, alert.

 


"I just remembered something," I explained. "It came to me when I was sleeping."

 


"What is it?" Tae asked, interested.

 


"I don't have my phone with me. One of Kyesang's men mindlessly slipped my phone into his pocket because he needed to free his hands to untape me. I was about to pass out but I happened to see that! You know what this means?" I asked.

 

 

"We can call it and ask him if he knows where Jiyong and Kyesang are," Top said, confident with his answer.

 

 

I frowned and shook my head, "No, that's not what I'm getting at."

 

 

"We can track it," Chaerin said. "It can possibly lead us to them. You said that Aurelio came with you, right?"

 


"Right."

 


Chaerin dialed Aurelio's number."Hey, what room are you staying in?"

 


Chaerin asked, holding her phone up to her ear. "Really? Okay. I need you to track Dara's phone. How long is that going to take
you? Great. Thanks."

 


"What's up?" Taeyang asked, wanting to know Aurelio's side of the conversation.

 


"Aurelio's already back at his house. He's going to give me a call back after he tracks Dara's phone. He said to give him a minute or two."

 


We waited. It wasn't long before Aurelio called Chaerin back. This time we made Chaerin put the call on speaker.

 


"Give it to me, baby," Taeyang told Aurelio. "Where are we traveling?"

 


"Dara's phone is sending me signals from Italy."

 

 

My mouth dropped. They were all the way in Europe.

 

 

"Since when has it been in Italy?" Chaerin questioned.

 

 

He answered, "An hour ago."

 

 

"What time did Kyesang take Jiyong?" She asked me."Around midnight," I recalled.

 

 

"And it's currently 11:00 A.M. It's possible that he made it to Venice from Seoul. The flight is around 9 hours long," Aurelio
confirmed Chaerin's suspicions.

 


"Do you think that's where they are actually at? What if Kyesang is using that to throw us off his track?" I asked.

 

 

"If it helps, I can send you pictures," Aurelio suggested.

 

 

"Please do," Chaerin said before hanging up.

 

 

As Aurelio said, he sent Chaerin the pictures. The screenshot of his computer screen showed that my phone had traveled from my apartment since midnight and almost straight to a private
airport. After that, the line, signifying the route where my phone went, shot out into the sea and to Venice, Italy.

 

 

"What are we thinking guys?" I asked.

 


"It's possible that it might be a y trap," Taeyang said. Top snickered at the word 'y' and Taeyang smiled to
acknowledge that it was funny. He was obviously proud of his little joke. "I like me some ies."

 

I rolled my eyes and looked at Chaerin, who, as always, was the only one who takes things seriously.

 

 

"I think we should wait until someone can confirm that Kyesang is in Italy."

 


Chaerin left the room to make some calls while Taeyang texted the mafia group chat about gathering in the meeting room at 1 after lunch. To the left of me, I heard someone making a phone call on speaker.

 


I asked Top, "What are you doing?"

 


"I'm calling Jiyong's grandma," Top said. He lifted his phone to show that he was currently dialing up 'Granny-In-Law'.

 


"I remembered that Jiyong said she was in Italy."

 

 

The call went to voicemail and we were greeted by her heavy Italian accent, "This is the only alive Nonna Kwon left. Don't leave a voicemail, I don't know how to check. Don't call again, I don't know how to answer."

 

 

Top frowned. Despite her telling us not to call again, Top proceeded to call her once more. This time, she answered.

 

 

"Cosa vuoi?" Nonna answered, asking Top what he wanted.

 

 

Taeyang took Top's phone and said, "Nonna, Kyesang has Jiyong. Apparently, they are in Venice, Italy."

 

 

Jiyong's grandmother questioned with panic, "How about Dami's? Is she okay? Did he get her too?"

 

 

"No, he only got Jiyong," Top answered. He loomed over the phone as Taeyang held it for him.

 


"Oh, okay," Nonna said, nonchalantly, as she went back to not caring. "That's bad for him. Call me when something bad is
bad for me."

 

 

She hung up the call.

 


--

 


I didn't realize I was hungry until I smelt food. Top and Taeyang went on a lunch run to grab the four us and came back with Asian cuisine. The sushi made me think of my first date with Jiyong and what it led up to and I blushed.

 

 

Dipping my sushi into the sauce, I thought to myself of how I felt towards Jiyong. I thought that what we had was in terms of
lust. The bond between Jiyong and I was attraction and addiction. The time I spent without him, away with from the mafia, I convinced myself I didn't need him. I was sold on the thought that I could push him out of my mind and my feelings would also go.

 

 

Only for when I was busy, I didn't think of him. The moment Jiyong was on the ground in front of my apartment, it was like something snapped. I was truly worried about him. I genuinely regret not being by his side. I had passed the border of realization.

 


"Are you done?" Top asked. His question took me out of my thoughts.

 


"Oh, yeah. Here," I handed him my empty to go box and Top threw it away.

 


"Thanks."

 

 

Taeyang was first to head for the door, "It's 12:55, we should head to the meeting room."

 

 

I walked behind Chaerin, Top, and Taeyang since I didn't know where the meeting room was at. I ran into familiar faces who
were heading to the same place. Jinwoo and Seunghoon joined us, walking with me.

 

 

"Have you been here before?" Seunghoon asked me. I shook my head no. "I think it feels a little homier."

 

 

"It does," I said, agreeing. Unlike the mafia house where I stayed at, this place wasn't as flashy. The furniture and accent pieces weren't as modern as the ones in the other mafia house. The building alsoseemed quite smaller in size. Rather than just blinds, the windows had addition curtains. The light wasn't a bright white shine but a warm, mellow yellow. It really gave off a homey feel.

 


We reached the meeting room on the ground floor. My unhealthy self was happy that I didn't have to climb up a set of stairs. We gathered around and Chaerin began talking.

 

 

"Kyesang has Jiyong in Venice, Italy." Eyebrows were raised.

 

 

"Who confirmed?" A woman named Jenny asked.

 

 

"Daesung," Chaerin answered, "He heard people spreading the news that Kyesang was in Italy." Everyone frowned. Beside me, Jinwoo shook his head.

 


"We can't trust him," Eric said. People nodded in agreement.

 

 

I leaned over to Jinwoo and asked under my breath, "Why can't we trust him?"

 


Jinwoo turned his head to face me and said, "He's a rat." 

 

 

"Why isn't he dead?" I questioned, knowing very well what this mafia does to traitors.

 


Apparently thinking that he had said too much for the day, he answered with a shrug. Seunghoon, who was on the other side of him, leaned forward so I could see him.

 

 

"He does out dirty work now but we keep him on a very tight leash," Seunghoon said, answering the question that Jinwoo
failed to answer.

 


"I know Daesung isn't a reliable source. Dara's phone is also tracked there, one of his men took her phone," Chaerin explained.

 


"It could be Kyesang toying with us," someone doubted.

 

 

"Look, I have a gut feeling about this. If I say we are going to Italy then we are ing going to Italy. If you guys decide to stay, I'll have Jiyong deal with you when I get him back." With Chaerin's threat, everyone was hushed up.

 

 

Seeing that everyone was now willing to cooperate, Chaerin explained the next move, "I want everyone to pack whatever
they need and meet me at the airport."

 

 

Top smiled and clapped, jumping out of the seat, "We taking this war international, baby!"

 

 

"I didn't know that they made planes like these," I said to Chaerin as we walked into our room. Reaching the bed to the far left, I placed my bag at the foot of it.

 

 

Taking the other bed on the right, Chaerin explained, "They don't. We bought them and had all eleven planes customized and modified to fit our needs." 

 

 

"Eleven planes?" I began to wonder how seriously materialistic the mafia was.

 


"Big mafia, big means of transportation," Chaerin shrugged, saying that as if it was nothing. "Now, hush up. I want to sleep."

 

 

Chaerin plopped onto the bed and snuggled in under the covers. Then, she pulled the sleeping mask that laid on top of her forehead to rest on her eyes. I was astonished to see someone sleeping on a bed in a room inside a plane that was soon going to be in the air. We were currently in the first room upon entering
the plane from the rear. My guess was that it's first class throughout the whole plane.

 

 

Wanting to explore more of the foreign aircraft, I left the room. Across from us was one of the plane's bathrooms. Taking note of that, I ventured forward. Every so often, the rooms that are next to each other would be broken apart by a lounging area. It consisted of leather seats and couches and a minibar stocked with drinks.

 

 

No bartenders were present and some people were serving themselves to their leisure. I reached the very front of the plane just in time to see Top and Taeyang open the door to the cockpit. Immediately, I thought of the worst. I quickened my
place in order to reach them before they could walk in further into the most critical part of the plane.

 


"What do you guys think you are doing?" I asked, grabbing them by the ears and pulling them right back out of the room. I saw the door closed shut behind Tae and Top and I let go of the two to hear an explanation.

 


"It's our turn," Top said.

 


Not comprehending, I questioned, "For what?"

 


"To fly the plane. Eric and Lorenzo did it last time and Melvin promised us that we could do it next time. Next time is this
time," Top elaborated.

 


Thinking that the conversation was done, Top and Tae turned around to go back into the cockpit. Hearing that the two were going to be flying the airplane was nowhere near pleasant. I grabbed them at the ears once more, " Oh no you guys don't!"

 

 

"Ow ow ow," Tol whined as I began to drag them away from the front of the plane.

 


"Honey, that ain't my sweet spot," Top said, making me pinch harder in disgust.

 

 

They leaned their heads towards the grip of my hands so they wouldn't deal with much pain. Inevitably, in order to not fall, their legs followed the direction I was pulling them towards. We got stares as we passed by but no one stepped in to stop me. I managed to get them to the very back of the plane and pushed them inside the room. I locked the door for safe measures. Chaerin was still in bed, sleeping where I left her.

 

 

"You guys aren't licensed, no plane flying," I said, taking the bed as the boys took opposite sides of the couch.

 


"Melvin isn't either," Top muttered under his breath like a little, petty child.

 


"For some reason, I trust Melvin more than you guys," I said. I haven't even met Melvin but his name sounded trustworthy.

 

 

Right at that moment, the intercom turned on, "Melvin's speaking... flights gonna start... in about... uh... 5 minutes... okay? bye."

 


I recognized the type of slurring that Melvin was doing with his words. Shocked, I asked, "Is Melvin drunk?"

 

 

"He's most definitely wasted," Tae smiled.

 


"Can we go?"

 

 

I frowned, "No, I'm going to find Eric and Lorenzo."

 

 

If they managed to fly last time and everyone ended up okay, Eric and Lorenzo must know what they were doing. I used Chaerin's phone to dial up Lorenzo and ignored Top whines of it
being unfair.

 


"Lorenzo, where are you?" I asked as soon as he picked up. I glanced at my watch, four minutes left.

 


"Dara?" He asked. He must have expected Marcella.

 

 

"Yeah, I just wanted to know if you can fly the plane. I think Melvin is drunk."

 


"Melvin? I'm with Remi. You must be on plane three. I'm on the plane behind you, four."My heart dropped. Dying in a plane crash
is not a desirable way to go.

 


"You're on plane four?" I asked in disbelief. There was one minute until take off.

 


"Alright!" Taeyang said, giving Top a high five.

 


Upon hearing the "good" news, Tae and Top quickly left the room.

 


"I have to go, we are about to start," Lorenzo said in a hurry. "Have a safe flight."

 


"There's no way of me being able to control that, Lorenzo," I said, worrying.

 


--

 


The flight ended and I quickly piled out of the plane as soon as the door was opened, holding in my vomit. Already outside,
Top and Tae were there to greet me and Chaerin.

 

 

"It was a rough landing, but, hey, we're still alive," Top said, optimistically.

 


"Barely," I said, trying to hold my bile down.

 


Chaerin walked to our group and told us,"Let's get to the car."

 

 

"Wait," I said, recognizing what type of airport we were at, "Why are we in a public airport?"

 

 

"It's Italy," Top explained, "We don't have to worry about getting caught here."

 


"The police wouldn't dare," Taeyang said, pridefully.

 

 

I hung onto my suitcase as I walked. My knees were weak for I was still sick from the landing. It was almost a plummet to
the ground rather than a glide. I took in and let out long breaths until my queasy stomach settled. As we stepped into the airport, my stomach lurched for a different reason. Looking around me,
my fellow criminals were relaxed. I, on the other hand, was feeling everything but calm.

 

 

Nervous, I still tried to look composed. People with luggage, people who were waiting, and the staff weren't even the slightest interested in us as we walked past by. I let my guard down once we reached the garage of the airport. The whole parking lot on the floor was filled with the same-looking black cars. All were already running with a driver inside, ready to go.

 

 

Walking up to a car of Chaerin's choice,she knocked on the trunk. A few minutes later, after Chaerin stepped back, the
trunk opened and lifted. Chaerin tossed her suitcase in and I followed her action.

 


I, then, moved aside for Top and Tae to place their things inside. Chaerin took the passenger seat and I sat behind her. Top was placed in the middle as Taeyang took the very left of the car.
Leaving the garage of the airport, I finally got my first look of Italy.

 


"Where are we?" I asked, unfamiliar with the beautiful sight that I saw.

 


"Veneto," Top said in his Italian accent.

 


"We are heading north, by Trieste. We have a villa in the vineyards there,"

 


Chaerin said, checking her makeup in the small mirror connected to the visor of the car.

 

 

My eyes never left the window. I was sightseeing in the car. The baroque structures that were placed all over Italy couldn't scream out more authentic. The villa, however, was the most stunning.

 

 

Driving on the dirt road and passing rows of grapevines, we reached a house. I didn't expect it to be one story since I knew how much the mafia liked space. Once I stepped inside, I understood that space was placed somewhere else. Rather
than up, it went out. The villa was longand wide, built as if it was a grapevine itself.

 


"Everyone is outside in the back," Top said from behind me.

 

 

"Where is that?" I asked.

 


Top quickened his pace to get in front of me in order to lead us to the backyard.

 


"Beautiful," I said as I admired the open space behind the glass door.

 

 

Taeyang, who had appeared by my side as the word slipped through my mouth, winked. "I meant the place."

 

 

Taeyang winked again, "Sure you did."

 


Chaerin pushed him outside, "She did."

 


People were gathered outside. Some were seated at the tables that were under the big canvas awning while others were
standing about.

 


"Mingle around until everyone else gets here," Chaerin told me. She left me to go talk to a group of older ladies, leaving me with Top who later left to go talk to his cousin.

 

 

Taeyang was already talking to a group of girls. Upon scanning to see who looked most approachable, I spotted Seunghoon grabbing a drink from the outside bar. I searched around him and saw,unusually, that Jinwoo wasn't near him.

 

 

I walked up to him. Seunghoon smiled, noticing me from the distance. I reached him and asked, "Where's your silent buddy?"

 

 

"Jinwoo? Oh, he's watching over Dami back in Seoul. They aren't going to come until tomorrow. Chaerin doesn't want her getting involved."

 


"Why tomorrow?" I questioned, "Isn't that too early, considering that we just got here and it's five in the afternoon?"

 

 

Seunghoon shook his head, "No, because it's all happening tonight."

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Heads up! The story is near to its end.