Chapter 20

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


They must have suspected that we were going to dismiss their surrender because the next thing happened so fast. In unison, all the windows of the mansion opened, and men with weapons
appeared.

 


In a town far away, it must be raining water, but here it's raining bullets. I watched a few men and women on our side fall. I was going to rush to their aid but I was stopped by Top.

 

 

"No point in helping them, they are goners," He said, shaking his head. Top led me behind a tree and told me, "Stay here until someone alive and injured calls for help."

 

 

"B-be careful," I told Top before he left.

 

 

The constant sound of gunshots through the air made my ears ring but I stressed my hearing for anyone who might be wanting my services through the earpieces. I watch people, on each
fighting side, go limp and dead. Others who were still standing were holding their ground, aiming, shooting, aiming, and shooting.

 

 

Men from inside the house grew braver and came outside to face us directly as men from our side advanced on into the house. In all this chaos, I was unhelpful.

 

 

"Dara." Jiyong's voice rang in my ear through the rapid gunshots.

 


"Yeah?" I asked, worried that he was injured.

 


"Where the is your gun?" He asked.

 


"What do you mean?" I asked as I scanned the area, looking for Jiyong. Can he see me without a weapon, hiding behind a
tree?

 


"I mean where the is your gun?" He repeated as I made eye contact with him.

 

 

There was a good distance between me and Jiyong. His heavy breathing can be heard as he waited for my reply. I shook my head, telling him I wasn't carrying one. His face hardened in anger.

 


"I took it away from her." Chaerin said, jumping into the conversation through the Bluetooth to my defense.

 

 

"We don't need her being busy killing people. She needs to focus on any of us that get hurt."

 


"Go back to the damn car!" He ordered me, pointing to the direction from where we came.

 


"No, what if you get hu-"

 


"Dara." He started as he looked away. He pointed his gun towards Kyesang's men and shot as many as he could, "Either grab a gun or go. It's too dangerous for you to just stand there."

 

 

Hesitantly, I walked to a gun that was dropped by a fallen person. Suddenly, I was tackled to the ground by Top. The
soft spot of my elbow banged into the nearby tree, sending pain up my arm. Clutching my elbow as I got back on my two feet, I looked up to see Jiyong killing the man who aimed at me.

 

 

"Dara! Go, now!" He yelled loud enough for me to hear without the device.

 

 

Without thanking Top for saving my life, I fled. Running deeper into the woods to get away from the commotion, my sense of direction was thrown off. I manage to find an open car and hopped into the backseat, catching my breath as I placed the backpack of supplies onto my lap.

 

 

In my left ear, I can still hear the guns fired through the ears piece. Even though I felt uneasy while I was standing with them as the shootings happened, I felt even worse just sitting in the car away from them. If someone did need my help, it would be too late for them to make it to me. Should I go back? I carefully listened to anything that would give me anexcuse to join them.

 

 

After much yelling, screaming, and gunshots being fired, there was silence.

 


"I think that's all of them." Chaerin said.

 


"I check inside the house," Lorenzo said, volunteering to do the last search. There was a bit of ruffling before he told us, "All
clear."

 


"Dara?" Jiyong called for me. I perked up at the sound of his voice,

 


"Yes?"

 


"Get a bandage ready for Taeyang."

 


"What happened?" I asked, thinking of the worse as I waited for a reply.

 


"Nothing major, but it's going to leave a nice battle scar," Taeyang answered.

 


I opened my bag and dug around, trying to feel for the bandage roll since there was a lack of light for me to see it. As I did, the doors to the passenger and driver side opened. Two guys rushed in and scrambled to start the car.

 

 

"Get us the out of here!" The passenger yelled, hastening his seatbelt on.

 

 

"What the hell do you think I'm trying to do?" The driver argued back as he struggled to get the key in the ignition. When he finally did, he got the car out of parking and zoomed out.

 

 

", , , what do we ing do?" The passenger asked.

 

 

"Call the boss." The driver ordered. "Tell him that YG just ing attacked us."

 

 

"Those es killed Uriel. I told him to not to waste time in trying to surrender. Those damned snakes."

 

 

The passenger took out his phone. He  the screen, which cast a blue light across his face as he tried to make a phone call. He looked unfamiliar to me but I didn't need to know that to prove my suspicion. The way they were cursing about YG proved that they weren't members of it, confirming that I was stuck with the enemy.

 

 

I had gotten into the wrong car and now I was being driven away by Kyesang's men to God knows where. As that sank in, I tried to control my breathing. They haven't noticed me yet and if I kept my calm, maybe I can get away from them somehow. I remembered the earpiece I had. I wanted, so badly, to call for help, but I couldn't risk it. Unfortunately, we were getting further away from everyone.

 


Sooner or later, the device will disconnect and wouldn't be helpful, but the timing was important.

 

 

"Kyesang is not picking up." The passenger said, turning off his phone.

 


"We'll have to go to him, then."

 


I looked outside the window and saw that we were going too fast for me to jump out of the car and survive. Besides, me
opening the door wouldn't go unnoticed since it was locked.

 

 

Suddenly, there was a sharp turn. The force caused my bag to fall off my lap and onto the floor with a thud. Both of them
heard and peered over their shoulders.

 

 

"What the ?" They yelled. The guy in the passenger seat grabbed his gun and I yelled in panic.

 

 

"Jiyong, help me!" I screamed, hoping that the earpiece was still in service.

 

 

"Dara-"

 


Jiyong's voice was cut off by static.

 

 

--

 

 

I woke up with the cold cement floor beneath me. A strong and painful sensation at my temple greeted me along with the memories of what happened before I passed out. Right after they noticed me, the man in the passenger seat was quick to strike me with the handle of his gun. They had knocked me out
rather than killing me.

 

 

At that time, death was my worst-case scenario. Now, my
worst-case scenario worsened. I raised my hand to tend the pain on my forehead, but I found my arms to be restrained. I looked over my shoulder to see that my hands were tied. Thick roped held my wrists together, knotted everywhere and connected to the ropes that bonded my feet.

 

 

I tried wiggling, hoping I could slip out of the holes. I stopped once the pain of the rope burns became unbearable. I suddenly remember the knife Chaerin gave me. I looked down at myself and, to my horror, found that I was stripped down to my undergarments.

 

 

Now that I was aware of how exposed I was, the cement floor under me somehow grew colder. My fear began to disappear as
anger and disgust took over, feeling nothing but violated.
Unable to do anything else, I tried to make out my surroundings.

 

 

From the ground, I scanned the area. I was in a basement-looking room that was lit by one small light bulb. The light that the bulb produced didn't even reach the corners of the cellar, leaving them dark and hidden. For as far I could see in this
dimmed lighting, the space was cleared.

 

 

There wasn't anything I could use to set myself free. Feeling helpless again, my fear grew back. I was stripped down, tied up, kept in a cellar, by the enemies of YG. It was definitely not the best situation to be in. My bottom lip started to quiver and tears threatened to spill. Before I could start sobbing, I was startled by the sound of a door unlocking and opening. Knowing that someone was going to be walking down to this room, I curled up into a ball in hopes of trying to cover myself.

 

 

"By the looks of how she's squirming, she's awake, Boss." Someone said as they walked down the stairs that connected the basement floor to the ground floor.

 

 

A group of four men appeared in front of me, out of the shadows and in the light. The man who stood in the middle I recognized as Kyesang. He crouched over me and looked up and down my
underdressed body.

 

 

"I hope you are enjoying your stay. I mean, this is the best room in my house for an YG." Kyesang said, sarcastically as he spat on me, "We offer the best service too."

 

 

"W-where are my clothes?" I asked.

 


"That should be the least of your worries. You see, I don't usually care for our captures. However, I had to pay you a visit. You see, you're special, an YG." Kyesang reached down to carcass my face with his pointer finger. I flinched and moved my face to get away from his touch. Kyesang grabbed my jaw and pulled it, forcing me to look him in the eye.

 


"What your name, sweetheart? What's your connection with Hyun Suk?"

 


"I-I-" I stuttered.

 


He gripped harder on my jaw as if it wasn't hurting already. His fingers dig deeper into the sockets of my cheeks.

 

 

"You better start speaking up. I wouldn't waste time in lying either," he threatened. 

 


"My name is Sandara Park and I'm the medical doctor for YG." I confessed.

 

 

Kyesang let go of my jaw and pushed it away. Unable to predict his sudden move, the back of my head hit the cement ground.
Pain burned up all over my head and I groaned.

 

 

"She ain't lying, Boss," One of the men that came down with Kyesang said as he dumped out the backpack I had packed. All thebbandages, ointments, and medications fell out along with my wallet.

 

 

"She had this when we found her in the car."

 

 

Kyesang just stared at me, deep in thought. His gaze was unsettling but, being bound up, there was nothing I could do but stay still.

 


"What do we do now, Boss?" Kyesang checked the time on his wrist, "I have a meeting in a few minutes. Question her and get answers. Do whatever. Just make her feel welcomed."

 

 

With that last sentence said filled with sarcasm, Kyesang walked up the stairs and left. Right as he closed the door, one of the
men that had yet spoken stepped forward.

 


"Don't you dare touch me!" I yelled.

 


"You aren't in the position to threaten me," he laughed. He slowly walked towards me, each step echoing. He nudged me with his foot at my thigh.

 


"What are you going to do now?"I stayed quiet, unable to answer his question. What was I going to do? In this situation, I was the prey. In front of me, we're wolves.

 


"I asked, "What are you going to do now?!" He said, lifting his foot and kicked me, hard, on my upper leg. I groaned in pain and tears spilled.

 

 

"That's right. Nothing, you're going to do nothing. Nothing but talk. So I better hear answers when I ask nicely or else I'm going to beat it out of you."

 


"We lost some men back there," said the guy who had tossed my backpack. I assumed that he was the driver in the car I was in that led me to here. "So tell us what YG next move."

 

 

All the men were now circling in on me as they waited for my reply. I knew that they weren't going to like my answer.
Nevertheless, I spoke truthfully. Inaudible due to my sobs, I replied, "I-i don't... I don't kn-know."

 

 

"You want us to believe that you don't know?" The person behind me asked.

 


"Yes. I mean, n-no. I mean..." My breathing and thoughts jumbled together as I cried in fear. "I don't know. I'm just a doctor. I-i don't get involved in meetings. I don't, I s-swear. I don't know anything.Please. Please don't hurt me."

 

 

"I don't believe her."

 


"Please, I really don't-" A kick to my spine shut me up. From that point on, words didn't leave my mouth, instead, it was screams of pain.

 

 

--