Chapter 28

The Mafia's Doctor

Jiyong

 


Lorenzo reached over and tapped me three times on my shoulder with the back of his hand to get my attention. From the passenger seat, I looked up from my phone and forward through the windshield.

 


"She's out," Eric stated the obvious from the backseat. He was positioned in the middle in order to get a good view. All three of us watched Dara set foot out of the parking garage.

 

 

Eric questioned, "Why is she walking? Doesn't she have a car?"

 

 

"Maybe she's going somewhere near?" Lorenzo suggested.

 

 

"That and because her car is in the pound," I said. Eric's question made me remember that her car was still at the towing place.

 


"Why did it get towed?" Eric asked.

 


"Long story," I dismissed. "Anyways, call Jinwoo and Seunghoon to follow her."

 


"Where are we going?" Lorenzo asked.

 


"Are we finally going to get lunch?"

 


"No, we are going to get Dara her car back," I explained. "Start driving."

 


Dara

 

 

Gummy, Dongwon, and I were planning to go out to eat while they were on their lunch break. I left 20 minutes earlier from
my home, giving me enough time to reach the hospital on foot. For the past three weeks, I have been on top of things. I
managed to unpack my belongings, go on a cleaning purge, and sort out a bunch of things. However, I still needed to retrieve
my car back from the towing company.

 


As I walked, I sensed someone watching me. Not stopping nor slowing down, I casually looked around at my surroundings. Even though the weather was good, not many people were out
walking the streets of Seoul.

 


I looked straight forward, watching where I walking. Still, the feeling of being watched never left. Was it possible that
some YG were keeping an eye on me? A chill crawled up my spine despite the warm sun heat hitting my back. Perhaps, maybe it was Kyesang's men?

 

 

I shook off the thought and continued walking. I reached the hospital and for the first time since I got fired, I walked in. I waited in the lobby and sat myself down in one of the seats. My heels scrapped the white marble floors as I nervously tapped the toes of my feet. I watched all the openings where it was possible for Dongwon and Gummy to walk out of.

 

 

Occasionally checking the time on my wrist watch, the two didn't appear until 10 minutes later.

 


"Sorry," Dongwon apologized. "The surgery took longer than expected."

 


I pointed to his outfit, "Your white coat is still on."

 

 

"Don't worry about it. I won't have time to go back to my office and put it back on anyways," he explained.

 

 

"Let's go eat," Gummy said. She locked arms with both of us as she took her place in the middle and led us out of the hospital.

 

 

Walking to a nearby burger joint, Gummy, Dongwon, and I got sat in a booth. The couple sat together and I sat across from them.

 

 

"How's finding work?" Gummy asked, stuffing her face in a meaty burger.

 


"I've been applying and even got a few interviews later into the week," I explained. "I'm getting all nervous just thinking about it."

 

 

"Don't worry, Dara. You are a good doctor and they'll see that," Dongwon tried to assure me."You know what else they'll see?"
Gummy asked, giggling to herself.

 

 

"What?" Dongwon and I questioned.

 


"Her three-month suspension on her resume," Gummy joked.

 

 

I chuckled and then whined, "Gummy."

 


"I'm joking," she said. Then, after really thinking about it for a second, she took back what she said, "Not really. It's going to be on there. What are you going to say when they bring it up?"

 

 

I shrugged, "What else can I say but what really happened?"

 

 

"You should tell him it's because the CEO of Seoul Medical Center is a crazy powered rich man who has a temper," Dongwon badmouthed Mr. Kang.

 


"You're not wrong," I agreed. Changing the subject, I asked, "When is your guys' next day off?"

 


"I think mine's in next month," Dongwon said after swallowing his food.

 


Gummy nodded her head, "I think that's for my case, too. Why?"

 

 

I smiled, embarrassed, and sheepishly answered, "Nothing, don't worry about it. It seems like I have a lot of time on my hands."

 

 

Dongwon looked at me with soft eyes, knowing the real reason for the free time I had.

 


"I'm jealous. If I were you, with all that free time, I would definitely never go out and just stay in to binge watch movies
and shows."

 

 

"How about you quit and we can do thatbtogether?" I asked, jokingly.

 


We continued to talk and munch for the remainder of their lunch break. Dongwon generously picked up the tab and we walked back to the hospital. I dropped them off and made my way back to my apartment.

 


Reaching the safety of my home, I changed into more comfortable clothes. I hopped onto my bed, where my laptop
sat, and I checked my email. There weren't any responses to my application email. Seeing that I had absolutely nothing else to do, I logged out of my mail and onto my Netflix account. Doing as Gummy had suggested, I began to watch movies after another.

 


Eventually, my eyes were straining due to looking at my computer screen for too long. There was no light in my room,
indicating that I must have spent my whole afternoon watching shows on Netflix. Shutting my laptop, I closed my eyes to recover.

 

 

I didn't open my eyes until I was poked in the cheek of my face. Waking up from my nap, an end tip of a machete was pointed
at my neck. I sunk deeper into my bed, avoiding the sharp metal. The light to my room was and I was able to make out everything. I frantically moved my eyes, scanning the place. About eight men were in my room. Some were aiming their weapons at me while others were rummaging through my things.

 

 

"Move to the living room," the one with his machete nearest to my throat ordered. Cold sweat had broken through the surface of my skin. I didn't make any attempt to move. I was scared that I'll get cut.

 

 

"Come on and get up already," another man said. He aimed his gun to the ground while he grabbed the collar of my shirt.

 

 

The men in my room cleared the way as he began to drag me to my living room. At the couch, sitting, was a man no other than Kyesang. The man that brought me to Kyesang let go of me. He stood beside with his gun pointed to me. Four other men
joined him.

 


"We meet again," Kyesang said, with his evil smile. "Not coincidentally, of course. Sorry about your door."

 

 

Kyesang pointed at the door without looking and I followed his finger. My apartment door generally looked in great shape but
I noticed that the lock and handle to it was damaged. It showed signs of forced entry. I prayed that it looked bad from the
outside and hoped someone would see it and call the police.

 

 

Kyesang saw me staring at the door and said, "Tape her. Tight."

 

 

He must have thought I was planning to escape. Running for it didn't reach my mind. For some reason, I already felt defeated. Things that happened after I left YG never went my way. I thought I was going to be able to be happy without the mafia, instead, I was lonely without Jiyong, Top, Chaerin, or Taeyang. I
thought I was going to get a job once I received the letter from my unsuspension but I haven't found any source of money
income. I thought Jiyong's watch was going to harm me, however, it was his watch that kept me safe.

 

 

Silent tears escaped as the men pushed me into the couch. They began to wrap my hands together and my feet. When one of the guys tried putting tape over my mouth, Kyesang stopped him, "Don't mute her just yet. She's been quiet so far and I want to change that."

 


Kyesang stood up from where he sat and walked to where he was in front of me, waiting for me to speak. I opened my mouth and spoke with my weak voice, "Just make my death quick. I've accepted that it was my share of karma."

 

 

Kyesang laughed, "Woman, they always make it about themselves. I'm not going to kill you right now. I need you to do
something for me."

 

 

"I'm not in YG anymore," I explained.

 


"You might have managed to run away from YG but you can't run away from me."

 


"What do you want from me?" I asked.

 


This was an extreme way to ask for a favor.

 

 

"Through your phone, I need you to contact Jiyong."

 


"Why?"

 

 

One of his men handed him my phone that they must have found in my bedsheets.

 


"I want Jiyong with an easy capture. I know you can bring him to me. You got saved by him. You are out of YG without a scratch. YG men are keeping an eye on your every move. You must mean something to YG. Perhaps, you mean something to Jiyong
himself?" Kyesang questioned.

 

 

The look on his face, however, told me differently. "I need you to text him, lure him. I'm feeling generous so if you do it my way, you won't die for now. If any indication of me being here with my men, I'll kill you right away. I could text him myself but that wouldn't be fun."

 

 

The twisted man handed my phone into my hands. Kyesang warned, "Don't even think about calling the police."

 

 

I nervously swallowed as my phone unlocked at the touch of my fingerprint. I found my messenger app and Kyesang's contact.

 

 

"What do you want me to send?" I asked. There was no room for me not to cooperate. My thumbs acted on betrayal as they typed the message Kyesang told me to send. Pressing the send button, the delivered sign appeared under the blue iMessage.

 

 

Dara: Matteo, can you come to my apartment? We need to talk about us.

 

 

"Did you sleep with him?" Kyesang said, smirking as he harassed me.

 


I chose to stay quiet. I stared a the screen and watched the 'Delivered' turned to 'Read 10:43 PM'. The typing bubble
showed up at the bottom left corner but it quickly disappeared.

 

 

Don't come, I begged in my mind. Please, don't come.

 

 

Jiyong

 


Laying down in the comfort of my bed, my train of thought was disturbed by the sound of my phone alerting me of a new
message. I was expecting it to come from Taeyang. Surprisingly, it was Dara. Reading her name on my screen made my heart
beat faster.

 


Dara: Matteo, can you come to my apartment? We need to talk about us.

 

 

With the intentions of replying, I began typing. I revised my 'ok' to 'okay' and then changing it altogether to 'alright'. My responses seemed unfit and I was wasting time on thinking about what to send. Instead, I chose to not reply and headed out. 

 

 

"Where are you going?" Chaerin asked as I ran into her in the elevator.

 


"Dara's," I answered.

 


"To snoop again?"

 


I frowned, "No. She wants to talk to me."Chaerin's face brightened, "Can I come? We can take Top and Taeyang and all
go see her." 

 


"No," I opposed.

 

Chaerin got the hint and changed her facial expression to suggestive, "Oh, it's that kind of 'talk'."

 

 

I parted ways with Chaerin and walked out of the house. I hopped into my BMW and rolled onto the highway. Despite it
being night, there was traffic. The slow jam got me more time to anticipate and think about what Dara could possibly want to talk about.

 


I knew very well how I felt about her. What I didn't know was how Dara felt towards me. I thought the feeling I had for her was mutual. Whatever Dara felt for me wasn't strong enough to keep her from leaving the mafia and my side. Was she going to break up with me? I didn't see how that was possible for we never
became official. However, I was afraid that that was the case. 

 

 

I had spent two hours driving and contemplating by the time I reached Dara's apartment complex. Taking the stairs, I found myself at the door. I knocked, right under the peephole. Looking down, I noticed there was something wrong with the handle of the door. It was barely attached. Before I could take a step back,
the door swung open and I was tackled to the ground by a man. I tried to push him off of me but I was pinned down. 

 

 

"Hey," someone said as they called for my attention. Still struggling to get back up on my two feet, I looked up to see another man standing above me. He lifted his leg and brought it down. Painfully, his foot met my face.

 

 

Dara

 


A scream escaped my mouth as I fearfully watched Jiyong be struck drown. At the man's kick, he went limp. The man who was securing him on the floor got off of Jiyong to help the man who knocked him out. The two began to drag Jiyong out of my view, going to the ground floor.

 

 

Kyesang, in front of me, checked his wristwatch. He signaled for one of his men closet to him to come forward. Then, he looked at me while the man approached me.

 

 

"It's your turn," Kyesang said, smiling. His words dropped all hopes of the approaching man coming to untie me.

 

 

--

 


I could feel my conscious waking. Even before I opened my eyes, I remembered the events leading up to that moment.
With my eyes shut, I prayed that I wasn't in another basement.
I opened my eyes and saw that I was stillat the same place I had out at.

 

 

I was sprawled on the couch, unbound from tape. I jolted up, gasping for air that I unconsciously rejected. I frantically looked around for my phone. I couldn't find it in the living room. Stumbling every few steps, I ran to my bedroom. It was in worse condition than the living room. The men who stayed in my room while I was held captive in my own living room rummaged through every nook and cranny.

 

 

Making the mess worse, I threw everything aside in search of my cellular device. I couldn't find it anywhere. Without much of a plan accumulated in my mind, I dashed out of my apartment.
I ran down the stairs, hopping down the last few steps. Entering the garage of the building, I spotted a familiar vehicle parked in my parking space. I ran to my car. I was too busy dealing with
adrenaline to be astonished.

 

 

Immediately, I dropped to the ground to look underneath the back bumper of the car. Securely taped, I found the set of keys. I
ripped it off, and with some pieces of tape still on it, I started the ignition. I pulled out of the parking garage with the wheels to my car screeching agaisnt the smooth garage floor. I had to get to the mafia house. I needed to find Mr. Hyun Sukand tell him that Kyesang had Jiyong.

 


"Oh, gosh," I muttered hysterically to myself as I pulled onto the highway. "Oh, gosh."

 


I breathed heavily through my mouth, trying to get as much air to circulate and stop my panic state. Sweat covered my body, representing the guilt that consumed me. Jiyong was captured
by the help of me. I had lured him to his death. Kyesang was going to kill him.

 

 

Surely, Kyesang wasn't going to be quick to end Jiyong. He'd want to enjoy it. There was hope that there will be enough time
to find Jiyong and get him back before Kyesang kills him.

 

 

I reached the mafia house and saw the dishevel. The lights coming from the inside through the opened front door showed a mess. From within the car, I saw the picture frames from the accent wall was cattered all over the floor. Not one furniture from the living room was planted upright. I stopped the car in the driveway. My headlights made the inside of the garage visible. Through the open garage, I could see that it was empty of cars.

 


With the keys still in the ignition and the engine on, I jumped out of the car and ran inside the house."Is anyone here?" I yelled as I dashed room to room, searching for anyone that was possibly injured.

 

 

From the looks of it, Kyesang's men must have raided the place.
The fact the there wasn't any cars in the garage told me the YG people must have fled. I searched for anyone that might have been left behind. "Anyone hurt?"

 

 

Using the elevator, I searched the upper floors. Fortunately, the house was empty of people. Unfortunately, I had no idea
where everyone had gone to. I walked back to my car and sat in the driver seat while thinking to myself. What was I going to do next? I drove away from the abandoned mansion and went a few miles next door. Did Kyesang's men reach Aurelio's house?

 

 

With the vague memory of the direction's to the hacker's house, I made it to Aurelio's house within 15 minutes. I knocked at the door and waited a few seconds until it was opened by the savvy
tech.

 


"Dara, what are you doing here?" He asked.

 

 

Relief washed over me. I was glad to see someone from YG. I stepped closer to him and caught him in a hug. I began
sobbing as I tried forming an audible sentence, "Oh my gosh, you are okay."

 

 

"What's going on? Are you okay?" Aurelio asked, trying to make sense of why I was crying Aurielo brought me inside him home.

 

 

I sat on the couch of his living room. Aurelio went to fetch his cellular device. Once I received it, I dialed Chaerin. My anxiety rose with every ring. My phone call went unanswered, three times. I tried Taeyang's cell and Top's number.

 

 

Unfortunately, it ended with the same result, voicemail.

 

 

"They aren't picking up," I cried.

 

 

"Calm down, Dara. What's going on? Explain."

 

 

"Kyesang broke into my apartment and made me lure Jiyong. I did and Kyesang has Jiyong. I drove to the mafia house after waking up from being knocked out. Everyone was gone. The house is a mess but vacant and I don't know where everyone is. I need to tell them that Kyesang has Jiyong. Kyesang is going to kill him. It's my fault. I- I-"

 

 

Aurelio left the room at the beginning of my panic attack. He came back with a glass of water. Extending his arm, he handed me the glass and said, "Drink up, you're probably really dehydrated. I'll go see if I can track them. They probably fled to another safe house."

 

 

My water was left untouched as I sat it down on the coffee table in front of me before following Aurelio up the stairs to a room where he had his system set up. I stood beside him as he began typing away. At one point, Aurelio yawned and rubbed his eyes.

 

 

"Sorry. Did I wake you up?" I asked, aware that it was currently four in the morning.

 


"Don't worry about it. I don't sleep. I have insomnia," Aurelio said. "You can sit down on the couch over there if you are tired."

 

 

Feeling self-aware that I wasn't feeling all that good, I went to the couch. Eventually, I dozed off while I was waiting for him to
track down Chaerin and the rest. When I woke up, I was in the passenger seat of my car.

 

 

Aurelio saw me stir awake and explained, "I found where they were at and you were asleep. I didn't want to wake you up."

 

 

"Thank you," I said. It was six and the sky was turning a lighter shade of purple as the sun began to rise. "Are we close to
there?"

 


"Yeah, the house is around this corner," he said as he turned right at the stop.

 

 

He stopped in front of yet another huge house. There were many cars surrounding the block on which the property is at. I recognized Chaerin's car. I got out of my car and Aurelio returned the keys to me before reaching the front door. I knocked on the door. I saw a figure by the window blinds as the person peeped through to see us. The door opened a few seconds later. It was Jinwoo. He held the door opened and stepped aside for us to walk in.

 

 

"Where's Chaerin?" I asked.

 


"I could be wrong but I think she's down the hall, the second door to the left. The first one to the left is the bathroom. She
says that she sleeping but we all know she's stressing. I would knock before going in," Jinwoo said, closing the door.

 

 

I looked at Aurelio, wondering if he was going to come with me. He shook his head and explained, "I'm going to find myself a
room."

 

 

I smiled in gratefulness, "Okay. Thank you for helping me and driving us here this morning."

 

 

He returned my smile and waved as he walked to the stairs of the house. I partedways with him, going to Chaerin's room
based on Seunghoon's instructions. I knocked on the door.

 

 

"Who is it?" Chaerin asked, coming from far within the room. I smiled at the sound of my best friend's voice. It comforted me
but I could hear the strain and stress in her vocals which made me anxious.

 


"It's me, Dara." I answered.

 


I heard Chaerin's heavy footsteps running to the door. She opened it with her eyes wide and mouth agape.

 

 

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

 


"I... uh..." I searched for words to explain.

 


"Dara?" Top asked, sounding shocked. Chaerin and I both broke eye contact and turned to the door down from us.

 

 

There was Top, in nothing but drawers, waiting for the bathroom to be free.

 


"Hi," I said.

 


Coming from inside the bathroom, the toilet flushed. The door opened and Taeyang walked out. He was in a silk robe and there was no guarantee that he was wearing any undergarment like
Top. He stopped, seeing that Top, Chaerin and I were gathered around.

 

 

"Dara, babe, is that you?" He spread his arms wide open for a hug.

 


I stopped him, disgusted, "Did you even wash your hands?"

 

 

Taeyang halted on his advanced and returned back into the bathroom. While the faucet was running and Taeyang was
scrubbing his hands with soap, Chaerin asked, "Where's Jiyong? Wasn't he with you? Didn't you guy talk or something?"

 

 

"That's why I am here. I didn't need to talk to Jiyong. Kyesang broke into my house and made me lure him in with that excuse.
When Jiyong came Kyesang knocked him out and took him. He knocked me out right after. When I woke up, I drove to the mafia house but it was empty and messy. Then I drove to Aurelio's and he tracked you guys from there. He drove us here. Jinwoo opened the door and I asked where Chaerin was. He replied, saying that your room was..."

 

 

I was rambling out of hysteria as I mentioned the whole situation I was in. I was shut up as Chaerin pulled me into a hug. One of her arms was firmly behind my back, embracing me, as one hand was petting the back of my head. Chaerin whispered into my ear as she calmed me down, "It's okay. We are fine."

 

 

"Eric was out and about driving when he saw a bunch of Kyesang's cars heading our way. We left before they came to the
house. They must have trashed the place when they got there." Top assumed.

 


"Yes, but what about Jiyobg? He's not okay. We have to find him. It's my fault." I said, my voice dripping with guilt.

 

 

A wet hand touched my elbow. I turned around to see it was Taeyang placing his recently washed hand on me as a sign of support. Disgusted once again, I asked, "You didn't dry your hands?"

 


Taeyang, without breaking eye contact, moved his hand from my elbow to mybback. He dragged his hand down and used my shirt as a towel, "No... but I am now."

 

 

 

 

--

 

Please show some love and support!