Chapter 15

The Mafia's Doctor

Jiyong

 


I looked at the time on the dashboard, it was currently 9:30 pm. 

 

 

"How was the flight?" Jaime, my driver, asked me as I buckled myself in the passenger seat. 

 


I joked, "As smooth as it can get. I bet if Rico decides on getting an actual flying license, he'd pass." 

 


"Wasn't that Carlos?"

 


"I can't tell you. I don't know the difference between those two identical twins. Besides, isn't Carlos in France with his fiancé?"

 

 

"It's your employees." Jaime shrugged.

 


"As well as your workmates."

 


"If I learned anything in the seven years of working in the mafia is not to stick your nose in people's business, same familia or not." He explained. 

 


I nodded my head in agreement. "There's some truth in that."

 

 

Jaime cleared his throat before changing the subject. "When your father told me to pick you up, he looked mad. Your sister
must have done something big this time."

 

 

"You don't know either?"  

 

 

Jaime shook his head. "All I know is that Dami is mad at your father for helping out a smaller gang who's in trouble with
the Serpenti." 

 


"Helping out?"

 


"Your father gave them 2.5 billion dollars worth of weapons."

 

 

"What was his motive?" I asked, surprised since this was the first time I was hearing this.

 


"To get a reason for the Serpenti to start a war."

 

 

"Outcome?"

 


"Shootout. None of our men were injured but some of the Serpenti ended up with bullets in their limbs. No one died yet." 

 

 

"If the Serpenti were to fall, we'd have the West side. That'll be beneficial." I said after I thought about the reason for my
father's generosity.

 


"I suppose so."

 


Even though it was a short ride, I still got to admire the streets of Milan. As we passed some sightseeing places filled with tourist, the thought of Dara came to my mind. I suddenly found myself listing all the places I would show her if she were to come here. 

 

 

By no time, we arrived at the mansion that I grew up in. The light that shined to brighten up the stairs that led to the door showed my little sister's silhouette. She was there, waiting for me to arrive. I could tell that the greeting wouldn't be so welcoming. Her arms were crossed and her face was frowning as she watched me get out of the car.

 

 

Dami walked up to me and said, "I knew he'd call you."

 

 

"Hello, Dami," I said. "What did you do this time?"

 

 

"I was proving my point."

 


"Your point is always crazy."

 


"So you're taking dad's side?" Dami uncrossed her arms and set them on her hips.

 


"No, I don't even know what happened between you two."

 

 

"He started a war against the Serpenti."

 

 

"That I do know. If you also know, thenyou'd know that it's a great decision."

 


"Oh, so you are taking dad's side." She emphasized the word "are".

 

 

"I mean I guess you have kiss father's in order to rule YG."

 


"What's your problem?" I asked, confused as to why she was so aggressive towards me. 

 


"I don't have a problem, but it would have been someone else's problem if they got shot and bleed out to death." I raised my eyebrow, getting a hint of the true reason as to why she was mad.

 


"Who?" 

 


"Huh?" She asked, looking as if she had been caught red-handed.

 

 

"Who are you so worried about?" My little sister looked nervous.

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 


"It sounded like you were worried about a certain someone dying."

 


Dami got all angry again. "No one. I don't care if Ben gets himself killed. He can be fed dog and I wouldn't care." 

 

 

"Ben? Benzino? From Serpenti?""No," She huffed, "I've never heard of him." 

 


I rubbed my forehead. I was confused and my jet lag was worsening. I walked around her and said, "Let's go talk about
this inside."

 


Dami jumped in front of my way, stopping me from getting a step closer to the house. "You shouldn't go inside."

 

 

"Why not?"

 


"Cazzo di merda!" Jaime yelled. 

 

 

The sound of Jaime cursing caused us to look in his direction. He had already opened the front door of the mansion and was peering inside with a shocked look on his face.

 

 

I look back at Dami. She sighed, closed her eyes, and then bit her lip in regret. I quickly moved around her and walked to join Jaime.

 


From where I stood, beside Jaime, in the front doorway, people stared back at me from inside. They were unrecognizable, but the tattered clothes that they wore gave it away.

 


"ing ," saying what Jaime cursed but in English. "What the hell, Dami?Why?" 

 


From where I left her, Dami stayed. She pouted as she looked at the ground, looking like a child who was getting scolded. 

 

 

"Dad gave me a bull answer after he helped that stupid, small gang. He said helping the people that have less is
something we have to do to stay humble." Dami explained, "So I gathered around 300 homeless people around Milan to live in our house." 

 


My mouth parted slightly at her childish excuse.

 


Dami walked her way beside me.

 


"Besides, they are all nice." She waved at everyone inside, "Ciao."

 

 

"Ciao," They happily replied back.

 


"Get these people out," I said, rubbing my forehead. "Then pack your bags."

 


By midnight, Dami managed to get everyone out of the house. The place was back to being clean with the exception of the lingering odor that the poor men brought. Dami and I sat at the dining table in the kitchen, eating our late dinner.

 

 

She yawned right before putting the fork of microwaved spaghetti into . Aware of the time, I asked, "Are you
tired?"

 


"No, I usually don't go to sleep until 4 in the morning. Why? Are you?" 

 


"No, it would be six in the evening in  Korea right now. Speaking of Korea, have you packed yet?"

 

 

"No, I don't need to. I still have all my stuff there."

 

 

"We're leaving at 6 a.m.," I told her.

 


"Why so early?"

 


"I woke at six to come here, now you have to wake up at six to go back," I explained, prettily. 

 


"Will I get to meet Dara?" She asked.

 


I raised my eyebrows. "How do you know about her?"

 


"Dad said you were busy kissing a girl's  named Dara." She shrugged. 

 


"So what if I am?" I asked, ready to get defensive.

 


"Nothing. I'm just happy for you if you're happy." I wasn't able to tell if she was telling the truth because she sounded rather sad. 

 

 

I looked at my little sister. Dami's black hair looked oily, her eyes had dark circles under them, and she looked like she was in pain. It was really unlike her. The Dami I knew wouldn't let herself be seen like that, even if it was me.

 

 

However, what surprised me the most was that she wasn't putting up a fight. Usually, when my father calls me to get
Dami to go back to Korea for a while, she'll make me struggle. There was this one time I had to chloroform her. It was as if, this time, she really wanted to go. In my mind, I felt like I already knew why. 

 


"So.. Benzino?"

 


"Dad didn't want to attack Serpenti because he wanted the west side. He did it because he figured out I was seeing Ben." She explained. 

 


"He's doing it to protect you. For being the most feared man, he has always had a soft spot for you."

 

 

"You don't understand. Dad lets you sleep with whoever you want and lets you do whatever you want. I feel like I'm stuck in
a prison here." 

 

 

I rolled my eyes. She was being dramatic.

 

 

"You know you can come to Korea. If you're not up for the city, you can always go to the other mafia spots we own around the globe." 

 


"It's a worldwide prison, okay?" 

 


Dara

 


"Guys, get out!" I begged.

 


Taeyang and Top were taking up all of my bed.

 

 

"But we're bored!" Top whined.

 


"We usually hang out in Jiyong's room but when he's away, no one is allowed to go in there," Tae said.

 

 

"You guys can stay here but you'll have to get off my bed. I want to lay down."

 


"Honey, there's still room," Taeyang winked as he scooted over and patted the small space he had provided.

 


I heard footsteps from behind me. Before I could turn around and see who had also joined the unwanted party in my room, I
was pushed aside.

 


"Dibs!" Chaerin said as she jumped onto the bed, beside Taeyang.

 

 

I sighed and walked over to my desk and grabbed my chair. Since it had wheels, I rolled it to my bed so I was able to at
least rest my feet. Just as I sat down with my laptop on my lap, my phone rang.

 

 

Unfortunately, I placed it on my desk right before I moved my chair. I got up, set the laptop on my chair, and picked up my phone. It was my brother.

 


"Sanghyun?"

 


"I've been ringing your doorbell for five minutes straight, open your door so I can finally surprise you."

 

 

My jaw dropped in shock. "What? Are you in Korea? At my place?"

 


"Did you move out of grandma's apartment?"

 

 

I can't exactly tell him that I was staying at the mafia house.

 

 

"No, no," I said. "I'm currently over at a friend's house. I'll be right there. You should have told me that you were coming so I'd be ready."

 


Ready with a good excuse.

 


"I wanted to surprise you. You know, like a superhero out of nowhere to help get your license back." Sanghyun laughed,
"Sanghyun the super lawyer!"

 


"Haha." I forced a dry chuckle. "I'll be there in a bit, don't move."

 

 

I ended the call. Dang it, Mom. Her timing to meddle with my life wasn't on point. I took a deep breath and pushed my panic
away.

 


"What happened?" Chaerin asked, sitting up on the bed.

 


"Can I borrow your car?" I asked.

 

 

"So your brother is a lawyer and he wants to take your whole doctor situation to court?" Chaerin asked behind the wheel. 

 


"Yes."

 


"You do know that you are in organized crime, right?"

 

 

"I know, I know," I said, stressing out.

 

 

The thought of taking my case to court during my current situation was crazy. I would be involved with law enforcement
and law enforcement and organized crime is a big no-no.

 

 

"I mean... they're not going to find out. I.. I haven't literally done anything illegal."

 


"Being a getaway driver after a mafia shootout sounds pretty illegal to me."

 


"It was just one time. Maybe I can get away with a warning?"

 


"That's not how it works," Chaerin said, squashing my hope.

 


We got into the city in a solid 1 hour and 30 minutes. I sent Sanghyun frequent texts apologizing about traffic and making sure he was still in front of my apartment door and not in Mrs. Kim's office. If she was to spill the beans of me going on a trip with a handsome man named Kang Ji Chul, Sanghyun would flip.

 


"Not bad," Chaerin said, pulling into my parking spot in the garage of the building.

 


"This place looks nice."

 


We walked into the building and I walked up the stairs. I turned around to see if Chaerin was behind me. She wasn't.

 

 

"Chaerin?"

 


"Hell, no." I heard her from the ground floor. "I'm taking the elevator."

 


"It's only the fir-"

 

 

"Oh, look, that's me," Chaerin said, indicating that the elevator doors had open and she had already excused herself. She didn't even let me finish telling her what floor I lived on.

 

 

I worked my way up the stairs to the first floor. In front of my door, I saw my brother with all his luggage. Seeing Sanghyun, who I haven't seen in a long time, my panic was swept away with a moment of happiness. I ran up to attack him with a hug.

 

 

Sanghyun tensed up, dropped his luggage, and yelped in surprise. Then, he recognized that it was me and relaxed,
hugging me back.

 


"Are you moving in?" I joked as I pulled away.

 

 

Sanghyun smiled, "The trail can take months." My happiness was short lived when he reminded me of-of the reason as to why he was here. "What took you so long?"

 

 

"The traffic in Seoul is really bad. How was your flight?" I asked.

 


"I sat in first class but I'm still tired."

 


"First class? The lawyer life must be treating you well."

 

 

"I still get jet lag." Sanghyun joked. "So are we going to go in or?"

 

 

"Hold on," I told him. "I'm waiting for a friend."

 

 

I pulled out my phone and texted Chaerin.

 

 

Me: 1st room, 1st floor.

 


Chaerin: omw, on the 21st floor.

 


Me: why 21st?

 


Chaerin: Hot guy came in and pushed the 21st button.

 

 

I shook my head at her wild spirit. I turn off my phone and looked at my brother who was still waiting.

 


"Let's go in before her."

 

 

Dara

 


I opened the door and we walked inside my apartment. Sanghyun, without my help, took his luggage into the guest room. As he did, I quickly tidied up the place. I fluffed up the sunken pillows and dusted off any visible surface, making it look like I haven't been away from my home.

 

 

"Hey, Dara?" My brother called me from the guest room.

 

 

"Yeah?" I answered, quickly sitting on the couch to look normal.

 

 

"What in the fridge?" He asked. Sanghyun appeared out of the hallway that led to the rooms. He had changed out of his suit into casual wear, shorts and shirt. "Let's eat before I unpacked."

 

 

I looked away from him and glanced at my fridge. I thought of all the food inside that sat untouched while I was away at the mafia house. Oh, the mold.

 


"Let's grab a bite to eat." I suggested.

 


"Fine by me." He said, walking to the exit of the apartment.

 

 

I followed behind him. Sanghyun opened the door and an unaware Chaerin, who was looking at her phone, knocked on his
chest.

 

 

She must have felt that's something was off and looked up.
"Woah," was all she said.

 

 

"Umm.. hi?" Sanghyun said, more like asked.

 


"Sanghyun, this is Chaerin. She's my friend," I explained to my brother. Then I introduce him to Chaerin. "Chae, this is
Sanghyun, my brother."

 


"Dara told me she had a brother. I wonder why she failed to mention that you were hot."

 

 

"Ew." The mold in my fridge didn't seem so bad after all. I could see in Chaerin's eyes that she was ready to play. Seeing that it was my brother, I found that disturbing. "Chaerin, we decided that we are going to grab dinner."

 


"Is she coming with us?" My brother asked, sounding a little bit too hopeful.

 


"Unfortunately, she has to. She's my ride."

 

 

I walked down the stairs, occasionally looking behind my shoulder to see how the two were getting along. They stood
side by side, walking down the steps in unison.

 

 

"Sweet ride," Chaerin said as he hopped into the passenger seat. "I have a Porsche back home."

 

 

I rolled my eyes, sitting in the middle of the back seat.

 


"I also have one," Chaerin said.

 


"Really?" Sanghyun was definitely intrigued.

 


"What do you do?"

 


"I am a co-owner of a very powerful company."

 


"And how does a beautiful lady like you know my sister?"

 

 

I gagged. My brother was hitting on Chaerin and Chaerin was doing the same back to my brother.

 

 

"Dara..." Chaerin's eyes met mine in the rearview mirror, "Works for me now since she got fired from her last one."

 


"As a doctor?"

 


"No, as my personal assistant," Chaerin lied, "Don't worry it pays well."

 


"Personal assistant?" He asked and then laughed. "She could barely help herself."

 

 

Chaerin giggled and I rolled my eyes. They continued to talk but I zoned them out, looking out of the window at passing cars.

 

 

Chaerin drove us to one of her favorite burger places and parked right in front. Entering the place, the smell of meat being grilled and fries being fried filled my nose. We took our food to go and
drove back to my apartment.

 

 

Sanghyun, Chaerin, and I piled in the living room. All of us was sitting on the floor as we ate our food that sat on the coffee
table. I was munching on fries while I ran through channels for anything interesting to watch.

 


"Let me see," Sanghyun said as he grabbed the remote out of my hands. He flipped through a few more channels and stopped
once he saw the news.

 


"The news?" Chaerin asked.

 


"He says that he likes to be updated, I think he's just nosey and wants to stick his nose into anyone's business," I explained to my brother to Chaerin.

 


"Breaking news," The reporter announced, "We have a live footage of a police chase involving a suspected YG member." The screen changed from the news reporter in the studio to a live stream shot on a helicopter. "As you can see, the suspected gang member is driving the Porsche on the right lane down the highway. The cops have noticed another car following the Porsche and believe that they to are involved in YG and gang activity."

 


Chaerin and I looked at each other with wide eyes. Neither of us continued to chew our burgers that sat in our mouth, afraid that our secrets would be exposed to my brother is we made any slightest movement. I knew that she knew that we knew those guys in the news were Taeyang and Top.

 

 

It wasn't until Sanghyun had something to say that we instantly turned to him.

 


"It's always YG that's one the news. Don't you think that they pull these type of stunts to stay relevant?"

 


"No, those two are just stupid." Chaerin sighed, "You can't leave them for 5 minutes and then they go out and -"

 

 

I threw a fry at her. She shut up and shoved the last piece of her burger, along with the fry that I threw at her, into her mouth. Chaerin quickly chewed as she grabbed her bag and car keys.

 

 

"I have to go. It's getting late." She said after swallowing. My brother got up, "I'll walk you out."

 


"Sit down," I said, ordering him to stay put. "I need to talk to Chaerin before she leaves so I'll walk her out."

 

 

"Goodnight. Have a safe drive." Sanghyun said to Chaerin.

 

 

"Thank you. It was nice meeting you." Chaerin batted her eyelashes.

 


I walked Chae out of the apartment and we stood in the hall.

 

 

"Don't hit on my brother. It's already bad that one Park is involved in the whole gang thing." Chaerin rolled her eyes.

 

 

"What am I going to do? Am I going to stay here?" I asked, on the brink of freaking out.

 

 

"You're going to have to. We can't take your brother to the mafia house."

 


"What about YG?"

 


"I already told him that you're working under me as my assistant. You'll come to the mafia house during your 'work hours'."

 

 

"Chae, you're taking the car. There's no way for me to get to the house."

 


"Don't worry, I'll get someone to bring you a car."

 

 

"Okay, then." I said, "Bye."

 

 

I watched her disappear down the stairs before going back into the apartment. I walked back into the living room and found Sanghyun cleaning up. He was throwing away wrappers, used napkins, and empty ketchup and mustard packets into the garbage. I noticed that my unfinished burger was missing.

 

 

"Hey! Sanghyun, I didn't finish my burger!"

 

 

"It's fine, I finished it for you." Sanghyun lightly pounded his chest a couple times to release a burp.

 

 

"Ew." I frowned.

 


I grabbed the remote to the Tv and pressed the off button.
Sanghyun went to the bathroom to wash his hands, reappearing he said, "So, you never told me you had a hot friend."

 

 

"Sanghyun, go fool around with someone else."

 

 

"I'm a lawyer, I don't have time to fool around with anyone. However, for Chae, I'll make an exception." He said, sitting
across from me on the couch.

 

 

"One, don't call her that. Two, you can't go after her because I never got to go after your friends in high school."

 

 

"That's because all of my friends were douches."

 

 

I looked at Sanghyun. He was a great guy, as well as a great brother. However, like him protecting me from his douche-friends in high school, I need to prevent him from doing anything with Chaerin. I wouldn't want two Parks losing their careers
and joining the mafia. I would also hate for them to date and then awkwardly break up and ruining my friendship with Chaerin.

 

 

"Chaerin, just like anyone else, has a few skeletons hidden in her closet."

 


Except for her, she has a few couple thousands of skeletons in the ocean.

 

 

--

 

That was long, wasn't it? 🙂