Chapter 12

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


Despite the fact that I went to bed at around 4 in the morning, I managed to wake up at 8. I would have loved to sleep in but my room was too bright. On top of that, birds outside my window were nonstop chirping. I reluctantly got out from under the covers and got ready for the day.

 

 

To grieve for the loss of sleep, I made my way to the kitchen. I spotted Top talking to Ian. He was Eric's younger brother who also took part as one of the mafia's speedy, dependable drivers. I grabbed two fette biscottate to munch on and sat with them.

 

 

"Then she drove into the alleyway and the Furfanti ran away." Top said, explaining to Ian about the events of last night.

 

 

"Wow, badass." Ian complimented me. He held out his hand and we bumped fists.

 


"You ran over anyone?"

 


"Gosh, no!" I said, terrified of the thought.

 


"Not as cool, but still dope." Ian joked. I could hear the disappointment in his voice. "If being a doctor fails again, you can become one of YG's drivers."

 

 

I laughed and shook my head, "I lack the talent."

 

 

"If you give me your number, I'll call you when I drive." Ian shot his shot. "You can come along and I can teach you a thing or two."

 

 

This was only my second encounter with Ian. The 6 feet and 2 inches man with beautiful hazel eyes and light brown hair
introduced himself to me earlier this the week. He was in search of a band-aid for a paper cut. Ian was a nice, funny guy.

 

 

"I don't have a phone." I said with truth. If I did, no doubt would I have given him my cell phone number.

 


Ian frowned, "That has to be the worst excuse to not give me your number."

 


"I have a phone number, but I don't have a phone." I explained, "Jiyong took it away from me when I got here. I haven't gotten it back, I don't think he trusts me yet." Ian nodded, understanding.

 


"I forgot you didn't come here on your own will." He chuckled as he scratched the back of his head.

 


I've been wanting to ask Jiyong for my phone but I'm worried that he'll think I'm trying to escape or report to the police.

 

 

Top turning his head at the entrance of the dining room caused all of us to look. It was Jiyong. He had walked into the room. The bandage around his head was still on from last night. Other than that, Jiyong looked like his unemotional self.

 

 

"Jiyong!" Ian yelled to get his attention.

 

 

Jiyong looked over at us. "Give Dara her phone! I need her digits!"

 

 

Jiyong frowned at Ian. He grabbed a plate of breakfast and left the dining room without a reply.

 

 

I didn't hear Jiyong knocking at my bedroom door. He invited himself in and almost gave me a heart attack when I saw him in the mirror as I was putting away the last pair of shoes from my shopping spree.

 

 

"Don't sneak up on me like that!" I said, deeply breathing to calm my frightened heart. He chucked in response.

 

 

"Do you need something?" I asked as I approached him to see what he wanted.

 


"Change." he told me.

 

 

"Are we starting another trading session?" I asked. I looked at the time on my watch.

 


"It's 7 p.m."

 


"No." Jiyong shook his head. "That starts tomorrow in the morning. Right now, I need you to change into something you'd wear if you were going on a date, nothing casual. Meet me in the living room when you're done."

 

 

"Why?" I asked.

 


"We're going somewhere," was all Jiyong said before leaving me to get ready.

 


Dress as if I was going on a date? Meet in the living room? Where were we going? Who was 'we'? Was Jiyong only taking me out?

 


I stood in my closet, contemplating on what to wear. I decided to dress classy. From the hanger, I took off three different dresses and laid them out my bed. After a game of Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, I changed into a long-sleeved black dress that had lacy designs. It stopped four inches about my knee and was comfortable to move in. In the shelves of shoes, a pulled out a golden pair of heals that matched with the jewelry I wore. The matching set of earrings, necklace, and bracelets complimented the whole look.

 

 

I stared at myself in the mirror and decided to put on some makeup. It didn't take long to finish putting on foundation,
eyebrows, and lipstick.

 

 

Ready, I grabbed my black bag and left my room. I walked down the hall to the base of the stairs and stopped. I did not trust myself to go down two flights of stairs in heels. I kicked off my shoes and held them as I walked down to the ground floor barefooted.

 

 

There was Jiyong, as he said, waiting in the living room. He had changed too. The bandage around his head was off and he was in a deep jade colored suit that matched his black eyes. If it wasn't for the tattoos that peeped out from his collar and the end of his sleeve, he looked like a chic businessman.

 

 

"Ready?" Jiyong asked. His hand was already on the doorknob.

 

 

"Hold on a second," I said as I quickly slipped on my heels. "Okay, let's go."

 


Jiyong had already brought the car to the driveway, saving us the walk to the garage. He opened the passenger door for me after we reached the black Bugatti Chiron. After I was seated, he closed the door and went around the back of the car. 

 

 

"This car is beautiful," I said as he hopped in the passenger seat. I wasn't a person that knew much about cars or had a big obsession, but this car was luxurious.

 


"At 4 million dollars, it should be." Jiyong smirked, turning the key to turn on the engine.

 

 

If it was two weeks ago, I would have been shocked out of my mind. However, I learned that these people had expensive taste. The way the inside of the car was designed looked like an orange, leather spacecraft.

 

 

"Where are we going?" I asked.

 


"We are going to Aurelio's house." Jiyong answered.

 


Jiyong house was the closest house to us, a solid 10 miles away. It was just as huge as the Mafia's house. It was hard
to believe that it was only Aurelio that occupied the 4 story mansion.

 


"Stay put." Jiyong told me, "I need to pick something up from him. It'll take a minute."

 


I frowned as he got. Did I really dress up to come to Aurelio's just to sit in the car?

 

 

I watched Jiyong walk up to the doorfrom the car that was worth more than a house. He knocked on the door and waited. The door opened and Aurelio appeared. After a few minutes of exchanging words, Aurelio handed Jiyong something. I couldn't make out what Jiyong had received for he had slipped it into his pocket.

 

 

After Aurelio went inside, closing the door being him,
Jiyong made his way back to the car. I didn't ask about what he had gotten, not wanting to be nosy. The mafia house was
coming into view and I grabbed my purse to get ready to get out of the car. Instead of going to the house, Jiyong kept driving.

 

 

"Where are we going now?" I asked, surprised and slightly happy.

 

 

"We are going to get dinner." He said, turning to me to send a smile.

 


"Why?" I asked, wondering about his intention.

 

 

"It's my way of saying thank you for saving my life twice." He shrugged as he continued driving.

 


"I'm glad I did," I told him.

 


"Even the first time?" He asked.

 


I laughed and admitted, "Yes, even the first time."

 


The car was in comfortable silence. It let my mind wander. I changed my view from outside the window to Jiyong. I'm
going on a date with a Mafia boss. Would my mom be proud of me? I thought about how my mother would react if I had flown back to Busan with Jiyong and introduced him to her.

 

 

I laughed at the thought of how my mother face would look like to see me dating a heavily tatted man that kills and deal drugs for a living.

 

 

Jiyong

 


Dara giggled and I turned to look at her.

 


"What's funny?" I asked.

 


"It's nothing." Dara replied. She was still grinning as she shook her head.

 


"Really?" I asked.

 


"Really." She confirmed.

 


I looked at the empty road ahead of me.

 


"Are you sure?" I asked.

 


Before Dara could reply, I slammed my foot on the gas pedal. The car lurched forward in speed. The force sent us back into our seats. Dara screamed and held onto her seatbelt strap against her chest. 

 

 

"Jiyong! Slow down!" She begged. "We are going to crash and die!"

 


"What were you laughing about?" I asked, picking up more speed. 

 

 


"Fine, fine!" Dara gave in, "I was thinking about how my mom would get a heart attack if I brought you home."

 

 

Satisfied that I got my way, I slowed down. Dara was deeply exhaling and inhaling to calm herself. Her face flushed red and she was blinking rapidly. I smiled at how cute she was when she was scared. 

 


"Already thinking about meeting the parents?" I as if I haven't done it enough. "I don't know if we are quite there yet." 

 

 

I earned a glare from Dara. 

 

 

--

 

 

Dara

 


I spent the rest of the ride looking out the window, giving Jiyong the cold shoulder. I was embarrassed and angry. During the dangerous speed burst, the speedometer went high over 100.

 

 

Unlike Jiyong, I rather walk on the safe side. Being a doctor and seeing a lot of people so close to death, I value life and safety. Something could have gone horribly wrong and could have resulted in a tragic car accident.

 

 

We arrived at a high class, five-star Asian cuisine restaurant and I got out of the car. I left my car door open, buying me some time to get ahead of him.

 

 

"Dara, wait up." He called after me as he struggled to lock the car doors. I ignored him and proceeded to the restaurant.

 

 

Jiyong continued to press the button on the key repeatedly but the car remained unlocked. He realized my door was opened and walked around the car to close it. By then, I had already entered the building.

 

 

"Hello, I'm Choi." The waiter at the door greeted me. "Do you have a reservation?" 

 


"Yes, a reservation for Kang Ji Chul" I told him, giving him Jiyong's fake name.

 

 

"For two, correct?" Choi asked. He was probably wondering why I had shown up alone.

 


"Yes. Ji Chul is behind me." I pointed to the glass door to show that Jiyong was walking towards the restaurant.

 

 

"Would you like to wait for him?"

 


"No. Can you please show me our seats?"

 

 

"Right this way."

 


Choi led me to our table. It was located at the corner of the place. I sat in the chair that faced everyone, getting a good look of the area. The restaurant was beautiful. It's white floor and walls were spotlessly clean and shiny. Soft bamboo flute instrumental music played among the murmurs of people's conversation and the clinking of people's drinks.

 


"Really?" Jiyong asked about my childish behavior right as he got to our table.

 


"Really." I said as I defensively crossed my arms.

 


"Okay, you're mad," he said as he took a seat, "I'm sorry."

 


I sighed and uncrossed my arms. "It's fine. I just don't want to die anytime soon.

 

 

Don't do anything so stupid and reckless. We could have died and I would have saved your life twice for noth-"

 

 

I stopped lecturing Jiyong as our waiter brought food to our table.

 


"I didn't order anything." I told Jiyong, confused.

 

 

"I did." Jiyong explained, "I ordered when I made the reservation."

 

 

"You can do that?" I asked, surprised.

 

 

He nodded as he picked up his chopsticks from the napkin that refrained it from touching the table.

 


"I've never tried sushi," I told him as I mirrored his action.

 

 

"This is your first time?" He asked, raising his eyebrow. For a moment after he asked the question, my mind wasn't thinking about the sushi.

 


I nodded, looking at the raw fish that was at the center of the plate. It sat on top of white steamed rice, drizzled by a red glaze. I picked it up with the pair of chopsticks, with no problem, and placed the sushi inside my mouth.

 

 

I moaned at the flavor, "It's delicious."

 

 

I was enjoying everything that he had ordered. Foods in all kind of variety from light to heavy, sweet to spicy, and simple to complex came to our table one after another. I felt myself getting full but I would feel guilty for not finishing the dish. After all, Jiyong had taken me out to this fancy restaurant and the food must be outrageously expensive.

 

 

As I took a drink of my water, I noticed that the ladies at the table next to us were stealing glances at Jiyong. I looked
around and saw that all the ladies in the building, staff and customers, staring at him.

 

 

I turned away from everyone and looked at the man who took me out. He was casually eating, not affected by their stares. Even I was uncomfortable with the number of girls that were undressing him with their eyes.

 

 

As Jiyong chewed, his jawline became more visible. It was one of the attractive traits of his symmetrical face. Jiyong
examined his food on his plate as he swallowed as if he was thinking of all the ingredients that made up this tasty dish.

 

 

Suddenly captivated by how handsome he looked as he ate, I became one of the flocking girls. My staring was cut short
when Jiyong looked up from his plate and right at me.

 

 

My eyebrows raised in amusement. Had felt me staring at him, but not the other ladies in the room?

 

 

"You good?" He asked.

 


I rolled my eyes, trying to play cool.

 


"Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the thickness of silence we've been sitting in."

 


He just gave a small laugh to my reply.

 


"I almost forgot." He said, reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a phone and handed it to me.

 

 

"My phone!" I gasped. I pressed the home button on my screen to see the familiar wallpaper of Gummy and me. The battery percentage was at 96%.

 

 

"I would have given it to you earlier but Aurelio took awhile to set up your phone." Jiyong said.

 


"Set up?" She asked, confused. 

 


"He added you to the mafia group chat." I explained, "It's for you to keep informed. Members only send important messages in here when it's urgent, so don't expect spams."

 


I decided not to tell Dara that he also put a tracking device in the phone system. She might take it the wrong way but everyone in YG had it in their device for safety purposes. 

 


"How did he get in? I had a password on it." Dara asked. She looked surprised and impressed. 

 


I shrugged. Aurelio was talented at what he does. He's the reason why we have free, very fast WIFI. That happened after he hacked NASA. 

 

 

Whenever we had a technical problem with our stuff, Aurelio was the one with the answer. He's in charge with
deactivating alarms and taking out the security cameras. Without a doubt, he's a very important member with a big role. 

 

 

Dara

 


I looked through my contacts. All my pictures and apps were still on my phone. Like Jiyong had told me, the only thing that changed was the number of phone numbers that were in my contacts. At first, I only had my family, a few of my closest friends, and the pizza place that delivers to my apartment at midnight. Now, I had over 1,800 people. I saw Ian's, Tae's, Chaerin's, and even Jooyeon's number.

 

 

A question suddenly popped into my head and I set my phone down. "Jiyong, there something that has been bothering me for a while."

 


He raised his eyebrows, interested and concerned.

 

 

"Why does Jooyeon have a problem with me?" I asked. Sensibly, I knew the reason as to why she hated me but I wanted to hear it from Jiyong to confirm.

 


Jiyong thought for a while. "She's jealous."

 


"Jealous?"

 


"She believes that we are a thing." Jiyong said, nonchalantly.

 

 

"Are we?" I questioned. I wondered about what he thought of our status. I grew fond of Chaerin, Taeyang, and Top.

 

 

Jiyong also became a good friend but the attraction between us was undeniably there. Also, the nice random things that he does doesn't help me suppress my feelings.

 

 

Jiyong opened his mouth to answer but was interrupted by the waiter.

 


"How are things going for the two of you tonight?"

 

 

"Good," I told him. "The food is absolutely delicious."

 

 

"Great." Choi smiled. "Is there anything I could get you?"

 


"No, we're fine." Jiyong said, quickly dismissing him.

 

 

"Well, if there is anything you two need, you guys let me know." He said before leaving Jiyong and me alone.

 

 

Jiyong

 


Dara's phone rang repeatedly on the table. Her phone wasn't left on silent and the tons of notifications caused a loud
interruption. In my pocket, my own phone vibrated.

 

 

Dara reached for her phone and I took mine out. The alerts we had gotten from were sent by the mafia's group chat.

 

 

Top had sent a picture of me and Dara inside the restaurant we were currently dining in. I looked out the window and saw Top frowning. Dara followed my gaze and saw Top. 

 

 

-GUCCI GANG 420 BANG BANG-

 

Top: Thanks for the invite ---


Chaerin: Omg, are you guys on a date 0_0?


Taeyang: Bro, if your reading this, remember not to be silly, wrap your willy. 


Top: You can't make love, without a glove.


Taeyang: Cover your stump before you hump.

 

Top: Before you attack her, wrap your whacker.

 

Taeyang: That was a good one!


Top: You can't go wrong if you shield your dong.


Taeyang: If you slip between her thighs, condomize.


Top: Never deck her with an unwrapped pecker.


Chaerin: Jiyong, don't you even dare think about on the first date!

 

Jiyong: Top, come inside the restaurant.


Taeyang: Dara and now Top? That escalated quickly.

 

 

--

 

Anddd that's their first date. 😂