Kimchi Stew

AISLE 14 | 2YEON
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What is this place?" Nayeon asked, stepping into the tiny restaurant I had taken her. 

The place was located just outside of town, it's sole purpose feeding the tired drivers and workes usually coming from the big cities for work. My friends and I would always hang out there, eat our hearts' contents and laugh about past stories the owner told.

"This..." I proudly spoke "Is the best place to ever exist." with a smile on my face, I walked to the front desk. I still didn't know why the had it, it's not like they were some fancy restaurant. Nevertheless, they did and ad I approached it Nayeon slowly followed behind me, mumbling something under her breath.

The place was exactly like the last time I visited. The tables were still way larger than they should've been and the jukebox playing loudly the owner's favorite song, placed at the very back of the room close to the fireplace. It was still as cozy as ever, though a little bit chilly as the fire on the fireplace slowly went out. The large glass windows were clean ( they always were), the view of the large road outside and the muffled sound of the cars speeding by was somehow captivating. Every single thing was familiar, the atmosphere sti friendly and the staff smiling. Being there felt like I was at home with a family that loved me and didn't constantly fight. 

"Jeongie!" a short, familiar figure came running at my direction "Were have you been?" she hugged me.

"A-ah auntie! I just haven't had the time to come by." I explained and Jihyo's mother scoffed. 

"Just like your friend, yeah. Tell her to come visit once in a while. With the rate I'm working I never get to see her," the female complained "Plus she doesn't even come home anymore."

"I'll drag Jihyo with me next time, auntie." I laughed as she examined Nayeon standing behind my back.

"Oh, you have company?" she was thrilled, clapping her hands "She looks so..unlike you!" the woman squealed. "So well mannered and beautiful. Unlike my daughter and her friends." she sighed, completely disregarding the fact that I could hear her.

"Y-yeah," I spoke up "This is—"

"Im Nayeon. It's a pleasure meeting you." the grinned and respectfully bowed, making Jihyo's mother squeal in excitement once again. 

"Look at her!" the woman pinched my arm "Be more like her! Tsk gangsters." she scolded and moved closer to Nayeon, hugging her tightly. 

"Auntie!" I whined "You're making her uncomfortable."

"Make sure you put some sense in that coconut head of hers, girl." Jihyo's mom whispered, oblivious to the fact that I could still hear her. Jihyo was exactly like her mother, loud at all times.

"Yes, u-unnie." Nayeon stuttered and bowed again before I dragged her to the closet table.

"Get us the usual, auntie!" I shouted and the woman scorned, hurrying into the kitchen.

"What is the usual?" the girl in white asked, taking in the view of her surroundings a small smile formed on her porcelain-like face. She felt the coziness too.

"Kimchi stew." I replied and she gulped, awkwardly tapping her fingers on the table's surface. 

"K-kimci stew?" Nayeon asked, moving her gaze from my face to Jihyo's mother, who was running around and preparing food for all the (few) customers.

"Yeah! You don't like it?" I asked and she shook her head in denial, the obnoxious sound of her tapping on the table getting a bit louder. 

"N-no, it's not that." she whispered and avoided eye contact, proceeding to put her mask back on.

"Aw come on, Nabongs!" I teased, placing my hand on top of hers in attempts of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter