011

DARLING

Kk

 

Korean literature class has been the worst period of the day for him. Jongin and Jongdae seems immersed in the lecture but not for Baekhyun. Being in a two hours lecture for the most boring subject in his curriculum, with the fact that he had forgotten to bring his earpod making him more suffer.

 

He thought that by quitting soccer could end his miserable but that was just a tiny part of his never ending issues to deal with. Even when he have extra time to spare for himself and finally drama-free with his problematic soccer teammates, Baekhyun still have a lot in his mind to deals with.

 

“Byun Baekhyun! Pay attention to my class!” His professor broke his day dream to him humiliated in front of other students in the lecture hall.

 

“Sorry, prof. I will focus better” He muttered apologetically while Jongin and Jongdae passed him the note that they took earlier so that he can copy it for his reference.

 

Despite his current messy lifestyle, Baekhyun felt so grateful to have Jongin and Jongdae in his life for being the most handy friends especially when Baekhyun have troubles in doing his final year project to complete his degree studies. Studies issue— checked. Just when he thought that he can let out a relieved sigh, he remembered that he still have unsettled issue; his girl problems.

 

It’s been a week since the last Art class. He thought that he finally can see Dahee during the class last week to actually talk to her, but his hope was ruined when she was not even coming to the class. If only there is a way to talk to her beside hoping that she would come to her classes or eventually reply to his hundreds of text messages.

 

He did every possible way to reach her. He called her mobile, no answers. He sent multiple text messages from his apologies message to even pleads her to give him chances to meet her. It Dahee mobile phone can scream, it would possibly tell Baekhyun to stop spamming the girl as obviously, she will not respond to him.

 

“No respond yet?” Jongdae ask as he passed him a cup of coffee that he made for him.

 

Baekhyun shakes his head in defeat. While Jongin, he used this as excuse to make his own roommates feel even worse. “If I were Dahee, I would do the same too. You deserved it anyway”

 

“Thanks for being obvious here, Jongin. Much appreciated” Baekhyun sarcastically said even though he knew that Jongin was stated facts.

 

The next day, Baekhyun try another method by asking about Dahee whereabouts from her roomates— which was not a good idea. Harin is such a supportive bestie of Dahee and if Baekhyun think that she will be nice to him and tell him about her roommates, he must be kidding. He was lucky enough that Jongin arrived the moment Harin about to give him long lectures on whythehellyoubrokemyfriendheart.

 

It could be first time of 4 years that his friends saw him stuck with his mobile phone all the time, his eyes keep checking on the notification board if he will get any call from her. A simple message to get him call her back would be good enough for him— Baekhyun will even run to her dorm if she say she would like to meet him. But he can only dream it as that will never happen.

 

That was due to the email he received a night before that day. After keeping herself silent and not showing in their class, Baekhyun received an email from her with a complete project for their Art class that they have been working on for the whole semester. It was done and compiled nicely. Dahee even put Baekhyun name on the main page of the submission even though he didn’t work for it until the end.

 

The project play important part in order for him to graduate his bachelor degree ik his uni yet the submission report wasn’t the one that caught his attention. It was left behind as Baekhyun keeps re-read the email that she sent. His eyes widen due to the way she sent it; Mr Baekhyun (she never be that polite to call him formally even during their first meeting).

 

He immediately calling her again upon receiving the email, but again, she declined it straight away. Dahee probably have blocked Baekhyun or purposely avoided him, which he hate it. At last, he replying the mail and diverted the subject from their Art project submission to his apology letter. At this point, he didn’t care if she would have reply him, but he just wanted Dahee to know how he regretted every single words that he spit on the field at that day.

 

On the following week, Baekhyun and his friends were shocked as they spotted Dahee coming to their Art class. She had missed two lectures in a row and if she didn’t come for the third time she will get a warning letter from the dean. He felt so relieved that the girl finally decided to show up and stop hiding herself after everything that happened between them.

 

Dahee still late as usual and when she burst out the door Baekhyun can immediately recognised her even though she has changed her hairstyle. Dahee already looks pretty on his eyes with her long wavy hair, but when she cut it to a short straight black hair, it made her look even cuter. Even when Baekhyun never praises her directly, he always thought that she is one of the prettiest girl that he saw on their uni.

 

She was late enough resulting her to not get a good seat in the lecture hall. As they were use to Dahee siting besides that three boys, a seat beside Baekhyun is always empty. Jongin and Jongdae also make sure that they booked that seat for her every time they have a class. Looking around and spot all the seats has been occupied except her usual spot beside Baekhyun, Dahee let out a heavy sigh.

 

She was about to move eventually trying to get anyone from front row to switch seat with her, but Baekhyun action is more faster to stopped her. “Don’t move away. I will switch seat with Jongin and let you sit here”

 

“It’s okay. As long as you stay in the class” His voice softer to reassure her that it was fine for him.

 

Reluctantly Jongin move and switch it with Baekhyun and Dahee follows to sit beside him right after that. Baekhyun excited face when he saw Dahee walking from the door dropped into a saddened one. He took a sit beside Jongdae and be the farthest from Dahee. Baekhyun was used to hate the idea of her sitting beside him but funny how he missed that the most.

 

She was so focus in their class that immediately remind the boys how genius she was. Dahee always do well in examination and there is no doubt in her efforts to get such marks. But previously as she invest so much interest in Baekhyun, it always slipped off their mind that she is actually good in her studies. Considering how she would pay attention more into her crush instead of the professor.

 

Once in awhile she will converse with Jongin and Jongdae as if nothing happened. She thought that their friendship should have not be affected as they’re innocent. At least, they were not the ones who break her heart. From the corner of eyes, she was so sure that she caught Baekhyun staring at her during classes and it was too obvious that he want to fix things between us as he keep interrupting when she talks to his other two friends. As expected, she ignore him as if he wasn’t there.

 

Dahee have her own point. Yes she may looks strong and even when she started crushing on him, she had prepared that she will get rejected one day. However everyone have their own breaking point and what happened on the field was it. She can’t even point out the wrong in Baekhyun for telling her the truth, that he doesn’t even like her. But he was rude and she hate rude guy like that.

 

Was she bitter? Absolutely. Hurt? Who doesn't feel a part of their heart break at rejection. Dahee is still a girl after all. She had few days locking herself in a room asking herself every question she can think of; what, why, how come, and then her sadness turns to anger. That's her basic concept of why she decided to not talk to Baekhyun anymore.

 

While Baekhyun, part of him understand why she did it. But part of him feeling so bad that she constantly giving him a cold shoulder but being so nice to his friends. “Dahee, can we talk?” At last, Baekhyun trying his luck.

 

But too bad, she still the same ice cold girl. “I’m busy. See you again, Jongdae, Jongin”

 

Baekhyun can’t stand it any longer. He decided to follow her out of the lecture hall into the faculty foyer. He stopped her this time by grabbing her wrist to make Dahee turns around. “Why did you stop chasing me? Ignore me like I didn’t exist?”

 

“I decided that I will stop liking you Baekhyun” She answered it monotone voice.

 

His eyes widen. As if he can’t accept it. “You make me go crazy about you. Do you think I will let you go? No darling, you are mine”

 

Baekhyun will definitely get her darling back.

 

 

On sunday morning they both were assigned into the same shift for the cafe opening. Saw how he had a dark circle under his eyes and sleepy eyes. Sehun furrowed his eyebrows in concern. Sehun being honest and Baekhyun can’t even argued, he do looks like a .

 

“Bro, you look like a freaking mess” Sehun said to Baekhyun.

 

“I can’t sleep as I spent my night thinking so many things” Baekhyun sigh. “The worst part is it’s either I have to wake up early for morning class or go to work”

 

“Ah— too bad” Sehun said expressionless while set his eyes on the screen of his mobile phone. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, clearly the younger one didn’t really heard what he said previously.

 

Baekhyun prying into his screen try to check out what made the boy laughed even when he was there talking to him. Curiously, he asked. “Your girlfriend?”

 

Sehun shakes his head and show him the ugly meme Dahee sent through his instagram dm. Baekhyun couldn’t help but feeling a tiny bit of jealousy. The younger one had come clean that she were nothing but a friend. Saying that he had move on from having a crush on her. But still, they are closer to each other now. How Baekhyun wish that he was the one in Sehun place now.

 

“Did she came here to see you?” Baekhyun asked, curious if Dahee would eventually do that.

 

“Few times to get her coffee,” Sehun said. “But she would ask me first if you’re on your shift or not. I’m not complaining being the middle man but what the hell happened to both of you?”

 

“N— nothing” Baekhyun denied as he don’t want to involve Sehun in his own mess. Still, the curiosity is there. “But in a any chance, did she tell you anything about me?”

 

“Apart of how much she likes you—“ Baekhyun eyes widen and quickly interrupts Sehun words.

 

“You know about that?!” He asked. “But Sehun, you like her that much. Are you— okay with that?”

 

“I felt like a fool when I found out that, but then, when I saw how much you fond of her— I guess it’s okay?” Sehun confessed which made Baekhyun shocked one more time.

 

Or more to feeling embarrassed with his own colleague. “I never told you that I like her”

 

Sehun is younger than him but he always felt comfortable to joke around him, that’s why he wasn’t hesitated when he flicked Baekhyun forehead. “Baekhyun darling, everyone can see it”

 

“Yah! Don’t call me that!” He protested when Sehun come and hug him.

 

“Because you want to hear it from Dahee only?” Sehun raised his eyebrows to .

 

He scoffed, “Why would I answer such obvious question”

 

Baekhyun had Jongin come to him to talk to him heart-to-heart the night when he admits his true feelings to his roommate. As cringe as it sounds, Jongin really had to do it as to make sure that his friend feeling towards Dahee is genuine and not only said that out of pity of her. Even that he wasn’t as close as Baekhyun to Dahee, he still care about the girl wellbeing as Jongin think that she is nice girl. He saw how she like his friend and it will bad if she got heartbroken twice by the same person.

 

So he came to Baekhyun and ask him to be honest. “Do you really like her, Byun Baekhyun?”

 

Jongin probably look like a playful friend, easygoing one and not really care about others personal issue. It surprised Baekhyun how much he care about him, especially when it involves Dahee. He almost want to assume that Jongin probably have developed a romantic feelings towards the girl, but his roommates immediately reject the idea and saying that Baekhyun was speaking nonsense.

 

Later at the night Jongin assures him that Dahee feelings is so pure and he should have not take it for granted. Baekhyun eventually come clean to him saying that all this while he probably have realised that he do like her back, but he was too scared to admit it. When he was asked when was the time he fall for Dahee, Baekhyun told him that it probably during the fake date that went when her sister come to visit Seoul.

 

At first he thought that they will only get closer because of the Art group project. But the project unexpectedly lasted for like more than half of the semester and he have been sitting next to her for a long time and they have been talking a lot about not the project. He learned more about Dahee and Baekhyun thinks that she is interesting girl.

 

Baekhyun then realised that Dahee have every bit of his ideal girlfriend criteria that he always dreamed. He was too flustered as she keep making a move and flirt with him— he never encountered a situation where girl initiated it instead of him so he had no idea on how to respond, but to keep his cold-annoying self to her.

 

Especially when his friends now know that she like him, and they were being mean and mouthing “We ship you guys” over and over again and making hearts with their hands. Dahee probably didn’t notice it back then but he was probably the color of a tomato.

 

She is pretty, independent and also know how to stand for herself. Dahee didn’t judge him and treat him like his soccer teammates but to keep remind him that he is amazing just the way he is— this made him fall for her even harder. That’s why Baekhyun didn’t hesitate when Jongin ask him what made he like her, he then confess, “I like her because she smiles at me and means it”

 

He was so into her the moment she stopped talking to him. It broke his heart knowing that he had lost her. He almost cried that day— feeling so devastated when he read what she wrote on the small white card along with a limited edition Adidas jersey that she give on his birthday.

 

Dear Baekhyun,

 

You did well Byun Baekhyun. You are the best for being a kind, caring and responsible person I ever known. Another year older, another year wiser they said— but you have been amazing being your usual self. I’m so proud of you. Thank you for being the reason for my smiles, happy birthday my happy pills.

 

He already had so much things on his head when she encountered him during the game. Baekhyun was so stress to the point that he thinks that he might breaking apart. Even that was not a good excuse on how he was rude to Dahee the other day, he wish that he could turns back time and cherish her instead of making her cry like that.

 

When everything is over, he thought that he will be okay and tell himself to not thinking about it. But then, Baekhyun was wrong. When he is not with her, he keep thinking about her and his day is rather empty. Baekhyun find himself looking forward to their next meeting, but she never there. That is when he realize that he care for her very much and his feelings for Dahee have awakened and are getting stronger and stronger each day.

 

Baekhyun already fall in love with her.

 

 

Baekhyun become restless after he met with Harin, Dahee roommates at convenient store earlier. It was awkward as he thought Harin probably still mad at him, but as she saw how sorry he is and begging her to get Dahee to at least talk to him for one more time, she relaxed a bit and eventually be nicer to him. She was out to buy cold medicine for her bestie.

 

He was so worried that he bombarded her with so many questions when he found out she has fallen sick. Harin just laughed, mention to him that it just a normal cold and Dahee is doing great in the dorm, saying that her roommates was just too lazy to get the pain reliever. However, Baekhyun didn’t buy it at all as he was being concern over the girl.

 

He hurt her and now she has fallen sick, how do you expect Baekhyun to feel okay. He found out that finally after two weeks straight sending her messages non-stop, she finally read it. Dahee didn’t reply yet, but at least she not blocking him anymore.   Baekhyun thought that he really need to get her on the line to make his worries disappear. He want to see Dahee and he need to apologise properly to her.

 

To: Byul Dahee

I’m sorry Dahee

 

To: Byul Dahee

I really meant it. I’m sorry for breaking your heart

 

To: Byul Dahee

I heard from Harin that you catch a cold. I’m so worried about you

 

To: Byul Dahee

Please. I know you read this. At least tell me if you okay?

 

To: Byul Dahee

I know you’re not okay, talk to me. Please?”

 

He eventually checking his mobile phone multiple time and only after 15 minutes he received a reply from someone that he had been waiting for. Baekhyun face immediately lit up with happiness upon seeing her name on his screen.

 

From: Byul Dahee

I’m fine

 

“She finally responded!” He screamed all over his doom room. Not to waste any longer, Baekhyun pick up his mobile phone and dial her number.

 

“Hey” Baekhyun voice softly delivered on her phone line. “Can we talk?”

 

“What do you want, Baekhyun? I don’t think we have anything to talk about” Dahee said sarcastically.

 

He sigh, it will never be easy to get her back. “I know it’s late and you probably hate to see my face but can I have your time for awhile? I will wait for you downstairs”

 

“Please?” He pleaded when received no respond from her. Reluctantly, Dahee agreed to his idea. Before hang up the call, Baekhyun managed to remind her to wear hoodie as it is quite breezy at night.

 

He waited at bench near female dormitory for about 10 minutes before he spotted Dahee coming out from the building complex. Baekhyun was delighted and never feel this happy as he see her. He jogged a bit to her and walk beside her back to the bench where he waited earlier.

 

Baekhyun greet her, but not be so loud as he afraid of her reaction. Dahee just nodded and not say anything. Her face void any expression but Baekhyun couldn’t really blame her. She agreed to meet him was good enough. He will use the chances wisely to talk to her.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked first as to check if her cold getting better. Dahee only hummed to his question and the awkwardness appeared again.

 

I was so stupid am I?” Baekhyun then prompt for a conversation.

 

Dahee looks at him as if he talking nonsense, but at the same time she remains expressionless and she don’t want to let her guard off in front of him. It would be mean to nodded or say yes to his question, but if the guy referring to how stupid he was with what he did previously— this is absolutely correct.

 

Dahee still keeps shut that it made Baekhyun even felt bad. She probably still mad at him or worst, hate him at that moment. But still, regardless of her response later, he thought that he should tell the truth to her tonight.

 

“I was so stupid and blind to not be able to realise that I have been blessed knowing someone as amazing as you. Dahee—“ Baekhyun now turns to her direction to have his eyes on her pretty brown orbs. “I have to admit, hurting you like this torture me”

 

“Dahee sweetheart,” Dahee body froze due to unexpected pet names. Especially when he started to hold her hand and caress it slowly before bringing it close to his face. Baekhyun then kiss her knuckles affectionately before confessing, “I like you a lot. The feeling are so strong that I think I might love you more than anything at this moment”

 

“Stop. You don’t need to lie to make me feel better” Obviously, she didn’t expect that at all. It wasn’t even surprised that she suddenly scream for 10 seconds straight before able to recomposes herself again to let Baekhyun continue his words. “I may looks okay but truthfully, your words hurt me. You could have been nicer in rejecting me. I would have understand that”

 

“I’m so sorry. I really feel bad. That wasn’t my intention, Dahee please trust me. I probably return your feelings a little bit too late and I know you will need to reconsider back your choices” He explained. “This is at least the right thing that I can do for us. I want to fix this with you”

 

He added more, “I’m not asking you to forgive me,” He paused before continue, “But I want you to give me chance to show you of how much you meant for me”

 

“Dahee, I will understand if you don't want me. But I will be heartbroken. You are all I ever dreamed of and hoped for. You are much, much more. To be honest, I didn't think I was mean minded. But I realize I am” He sigh and looking back into her beautiful eyes.

 

“You deserve so much better and I don't want you to put your arms around me and say it's all right, that you forgive me, just to make me feel better. I want you to be sure that you do, and my love for you will last as long as I live. Trust me”

 

He added more, “I can see no lightness, no humour, no joke to make. I just hope that we will be able to go back to when we had laughter, and the world was coloured, not black and white and grey. I missed that moment, I miss you so bad Byul Dahee. I am so sorry for hurting you”

 

“And what would I get from this? Can you promise me for no more heartbreak, Baekhyun?” Dahee ask, her voice soften when she saw how sincere Baekhyun was.

 

He then squeezed her hands softly to assures her that he was serious. “My heart, love. I promise you that you will have my heart that always beating for you”

 

She nodded as a sign that she forgive him and understood what he was saying. But this is not easy for her too, Dahee could not just say yes only after he confess. She had to think rationally and make the best decision for both of them. She admit that she missed being silly with him and having his presence around her.

 

So eventually, she ask for some time for her to think. Dahee was so red, embarrassing and blushing so bad due to his unexpected action. Her heart screaming yes to his question, but she try to calm down and tell him that he should have show more efforts as much as she did previously.

 

Dahee was teasing him but Baekhyun take it so serious that he promise her that she should have prepare her heart, because the almighty Byun Baekhyun will make her feel like luckiest woman on earth. Before parting apart, she wish him for a good night before run to her dorm again.

 

“Harin, get me my inhaler. I think I’m about to die”

 

 

A/N: Enjoy the update :)