010

DARLING

Jj

 

Just in time when she was scrolling into her instagram on her mobile phone, a notification pop up on her screen indicating that she just received a new message. She always have a big problem when it comes to replying text messages, but when she saw the name of sender, her eyes immediately lit up.

 

It was Jongin, who tell her that uni soccer team will have a two days match on the weekends and he ask if she free to come. Jongin also didn’t forget to mention that Baekhyun will be in the game and surely she will not want to miss the sight of her crush in his jersey attire looking so hot and admirable on the field.

 

Dahee was so sure that his best friends secretly shipping them together. While Jongin keep updates her with Baekhyun soccer activities, Jongdae also like to when they bumped into each other in their faculty. And the thoughts of Baekhyun itself made her smiles again this morning.

 

There is progression between them— he start to smiles around her and flirt a bit, which definitely not a good thing for her heart. Dahee wasn’t sure if it is a good sign, but she can’t lie if anyone ask if she had a good sleep lately because of his gestures. Is that possible to like him even more?

 

“Someone looks extra happy these days,” Harin, her roomate . Dahee surprisingly had been in a good mood even when she just finished her morning class. She then ask, “Any progress with your crush, Dahee? Did he finally say yes to be your boyfriend?”

 

Dahee scratch the back of her neck awkwardly while saying no to her question. She then cover it back when she mention, “But, he did flirt with me!”

 

“Men and flirting is inseparable, keep that on mind” Her bestie warned her. “They can give you thousands compliment and make you heart flutters, but they can also do that to other girl”

 

“Ugh Harin!” She whinnied. “You can’t just dropped the bomb over my fluttering heart like this!”

 

Harin looks at her confused, “What— I was just saying”

 

She cannot blame her roommates for being so blunt on her own opinion. Dahee knows how she care about her and Harin surely just wanted the best for her bestie. The fact that she wasn’t wrong also scared her. Harin was right, Baekhyun can flirt with anybody.

 

He is the uni heartthrob. A famous one to be added. How would possibly girls not chasing him around, and she was so sure that half of them at least was the prettiest and fabulous one in their uni. Baekhyun will definitely stupid if he didn’t return back their flirting, he is a man with taste after all. And man like him usually attracted to those kind girls.

 

Harin saw how Dahee ex boyfriend cheated on her because of that kind of girls and they both know how bad Dahee relationship ended and how broken she was. As someone that has been with her through ups and downs, this is the least that Harin can advice; for Dahee to protect her own heart.

 

Harin remind her, “Don’t get your hopes ruin you girl, that’s the rule”

 

“You just ruined mine, my dear bestie” Dahee said sarcastically. “Should I stop crushing on him? Do you think so? So that I would not get a heartbreak at the end of it?”

 

Harin chuckles before wrapped her arm over her confuse friend. “You can like him girl. It is your own feelings ain’t nobody should stop you”

 

“I think I get it. You trying to say that I should pursue him but at the same time prepare my heart? As the rule of the universe is we will not get everything we want?” Harin nodded relieved that she finally understood what she was trying to say.

 

It hit her into reality in a blink of time. Harin told her that this life is what she make it. No matter what, they will going to mess up sometimes and that is a freaking truth. But the good part is she will get to decide how she will going to mess it up. In other words, our fate is a reflection of our action.

 

Boys and lovers— Well, they will eventually come and go. It is not a good thing to say, but most of them, actually pretty much all of them are going to break our heart, soon or later. But we have to know that we can't give up because if we did, we will never find the perfect one.

 

Your soulmate won’t just knock on your door at 3am and say hi. We have to search for the best as our efforts and that is Dahee beliefs. How would we find a good boyfriend if we are not searching it on our own? For those who found their partner easily, those are such a lucky person. But for someone that picky as Dahee, she will keep searching for her version of mr right until she meet them.

 

Harin rolled her eyes to her when she mentioned about her mr perfect, because obviously girl, guy like that is not exist. But she insist that she have found one— Byun Baekhyun, that , Harin facepalmed when her bestie mentioned his name. She surely likes him too much. She then asked him the analogy of what if her mr perfect didn’t even have the same feelings for her.

 

So she answered, “Then I will keep trying, hold on and always, always, always believe in myself, because if I don't, then who will, sweetie?” It amazed how Dahee can keep up with the positivity.

 

“But please Dahee, don’t let it affect you if things didn’t go as what you plan and keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, please keep you beautiful smiling because,” Harin paused, “Life is a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about”

 

She nodded but managed to slip something add. “Reason to smile? For example, Baekhyun?”

 

The girl then wasting no time to throw Dahee a small pillow after getting so frustrated with her roommates. Harin was done with her that she think the best way to advise her is to not sugarcoat anything— maybe she just need to be the typical savage roommates who don’t want her bestie to get heartbroken by unrequited love.

 

She took the recent event for example. They will have a soccer match this weekend but Baekhyun was not the one who invite her directly to watch him for the game, but instead, his friend who desperately want to matchmaking them offered her the invitation. It was pretty obvious that he have no effort.

 

If he want her to be there, he would say it on his own— Harin said. Dahee want to strangle her own roommates so bad after hearing that, Harin just spoiled her mood to go watch him and it plant of her mind that what if Baekhyun don’t want her to be there? It wasn’t Jongin fault either to be the cupid to fasten the progression among them.

 

“Babes, as much as I like you with Baekhyun, but I would love to see you with someone who love the more than you love him” Harin then added, “It is natural for girl to love more, but it would be really amazing if we find someone that treasure us more than anything in his life”

 

“You’re a diamond, you deserve the best Byul Dahee” Harin genuinely said. She managed to remind her again, “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option. Okay?”

 

Harin is expert in making Dahee rethink again on her perception. For two minutes straight she got her freeze, her mind was busy processing her roommates words which she agreed bringing more truth. Dahee then ask herself, If she really want to stay on this road longer, knowing it was only going to end in devastation?

 

She hates how she will be overthinking about this later and Dahee decided that she will confront Baekhyun. Do or die— it is either now or never. At least she have to ask him for the last if he will take end of the stick she hold and if they have a mutual feelings.

 

It happened once, that she have confessed to him that she really, really like him so it will not be a loss if she do it one last time. After all, Dahee can’t keep wasting her time with unclear relationship. Baekhyun will graduate soon, what will happen if they can’t decide on which path their relationship will go by the time he’ll leaving? That will be too sad for Dahee.

 

But still, she just a girl with a little hope that her crush will like her back.

 

“Was it hard, Harin?" Dahee asked. She had thinks about the worst possibility. “Letting go?"

 

“Not as hard as holding on to something that wasn't real”

 

 

Dahee feel so awkward that she sat among the ocean of male students in the bleachers watching for a sport game that she barely understand. She has grown up with no brother in her house and his father wasn’t a big fan of soccer, so it is understandable to say that she actually know nothing about the match that she watching.

 

Harin immediately reject her offer to accompany her to watch the soccer match. As much as Dahee know nothing about soccer, Harin are the worst. She hates any kind of sport and to be coincidence, soccer is her most hated sport.

 

She wish that Jongin, at least will be there to be with her but she just remembered that he is one of team. Despite his injury, he still need to sit among the team during the match. It was loud and full of chants from their uni supporter, she is okay for a while until she heard the stranger guy swearing to the player as they missed the chances to make a goal.

 

At last, she decides to move away from audiences seats and go closer to the field area. Truthfully, she rather standing under the hot sun and not be seated beside the guy earlier. Plus, she like her current position as she can clearly spotted Baekhyun on the field.

 

He was looking stunning as usual— it wasn’t a surprise for her anymore. The last time that she talked to him in person was when he helped her with her multimedia project the other day. She did sent him short text messages in between, but she only received even shorter reply from Baekhyun.

 

From: Byun Baekhyun

K.

 

It frustrated how he can changes from his flirty side to his cold side again just like that. Dahee almost wanted to sneak into his dorm again to confront him but cancelled it right away when she received information from her friend that all seniors student is on the wrecked completing their final year project.

 

Baekhyun probably too stress about his fyp. It wasn’t easy to develop a web system and programming isn’t funny topic that everyone can tolerates. Plus, he was struggling with soccer team issues as what Jongin told. It probably not a good time for Dahee to actually watch him in that match— where their team lost to rival team with 3-0 over 90 minutes match.

 

But still, she want to see him so bad so she decided to stay until everyone leaving the venue and wait for Baekhyun on the player bench near their changing room. She was looking ridiculous enough wearing oversize jersey that she buy urgently yesterday, with her favourite white headband waiting for him to come.

 

Jongin and Jongdae has not passed the door yet, meaning that Baekhyun probably still not done yet. Some of the players came out and leaving the place while there are three of them joining her on the bench, probably waiting for their friends from the team as well.

 

10 minutes passed and as she waited there, her ears are getting red from listening to the other guys conversation. They started their conversation with how bad the game were and it triggered her when they said that their loss all due to the carelessness of their useless captain.

 

As if they aren’t more obvious enough, they even mentioned Baekhyun name over their heated conversation. She was not supposed to interrupt them but Dahee can’t just sit there and do nothing when she just heard people talking bad about him.

 

“Excuse me” She can’t hold it any longer and decided to confront them.

 

“You have no right to say anything like that about Baekhyun. He is your captain for god sake!” Her voice now louder.

 

They both stopped talking and eventually divert their attention to the girl who apparently disturb them. One of them then get up and talk to her, “Who are you? Why are you so busybody? Just mind your own business god dammit!”

 

“Take it back what you said” She demanded, not even back off from the threat. “I said take it back what you have said about your captain!”

 

They probably messed up with the wrong girl or she simply did something that she should have not do at all. For Dahee, this is not about defending Baekhyun anymore but on how to deals with rude people, which she hate most.

 

It escalated quickly from just couple of friends talking to each other and Dahee sit alone on bench to sudden outbursts and argument. As they are getting loud, more players coming out from the changing room too see what has happened. Including Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Byul Dahee!” Baekhyun screamed her name. He sigh in frustration.

 

“Leave it. Just go back” It amazed how at this point he still can keep his voice steady, but she can see the hint that he’s getting furious when she didn’t move at all.

 

“They said bad things about you, Baekhyun. Do you even realise that?” Dahee tried to reach his arm, but he push it right away. “They should apologise to you. Yah you—“ Dahee glaring at them which obviously didn’t working. “Apologise to him now”

 

All she can heard was just a snort, “Apologise to him? To this useless captain?” And that will be be the limit. Dahee can’t even think straight but she was so sure that punching them on their faces will be a wise decision at this moment. She was about to step forward when Baekhyun yells at her to stop.

 

“I said stop!” He always annoyed at her, but Baekhyun never once raise his voice at Dahee and be this mad. “You two tard leave us alone!” At least, he still respect Dahee by not swearing directly at her.

 

The two guy eventually leave them alone to talk. It was so tensed and nobody dare to speak anything. Dahee, she was so sure that the moment she open , she will trigger him again. By looking at his furrowed eyebrows and the way he crumpled his fist, it was not a good sign.

 

As for Baekhyun, he was still in shocked for everything that happened. He was aware all times that some of his teammates were talking bad about him. As much as it effects him, he thinks that it is better to keep it by himself. He only left few weeks before the end of the semester and he just wanted to leave the team without any fight. Even when he know how half of his team planning to against him.

 

But Baekhyun is still a man and it hurts his pride when he have a girl defending him against his enemies. For months, Jongin and Jongdae tried to make move on behalf of him, but he politely refused as again, he said that fighting will not bring any good for the team. He was okay with the fact that at least, he still have half of team who trusted him as a captain.

 

When suddenly Dahee stepped up and be a hero, he felt like his pride was challenged. It will be another point for them to talks bad about him, but that was not the main reason. Dahee should have not cross the limit at the first place, she should have not interfere in his life and maybe, he thought that she should have not associate with him at all.

 

All the angers pent up for once and when Dahee try to get hold of him again, he suddenly burst out. “Don’t” He gritted his teeth in fury. “Just don’t bother about me, Dahee”

 

“But Baekhyun I just—“ She tried to defend herself. After all, she just care about him. This is not about defending your crush anymore. In fact, Dahee do this as protect her friend.

 

“Why would you bother about my life?!” He scream, his eyes now widen.

 

“You are nobody to me, Dahee. You are not even my girlfriend to be all protective and to care about me! Why don’t you get the fact straight into your head! I can never return your feelings at the first place!”

 

Byun Baekhyun— Dahee surely will remember his name. He does something to her, that boy. Every time. He made her crazy over him, he made her heart flustered, but today, he stepped on her fragile heart. He made Byul Dahee cry.

 

With a teary eyes, she ask him. “For the last time, I will tell you this. I like you Byun Baekhyun. Do you—“ Her voice stuttering, “—Do you like me too?”

 

“No” Baekhyun answer never as clear as time for Byul Dahee. She nodded before moving away from him. She took a step that she didn't want to take, but she did.

 

Dahee finally got the answer that she wanted and she will never turns back. Her dream has been ruined. Funny how sometimes life has a cruel sense of humor, giving her the truth she always wanted to know at the worst time possible.

 

She learned something, so it is true; when all is said and done, grief is the price she have to pay for his love. Dahee know her heart will never be the same anymore but she is telling herself that she will be okay.

 

 

But apparently, Baekhyun was not okay. If someone tapped his shoulder when his head was already hanging low, and ask him if he is okay, he will say that he definitely not okay. If that to made it him feel even worst, someone might need to remind him again what he did that made him a loser.

 

He burst out after she left and eventually come and met his teammates to confront them about the plan against him. It could be the only good thing that came out after her argument with him, which triggered Baekhyun to almost punch them in the face. Luckily Jongdae was there to calm him, Baekhyun should have not sacrificed his last semester by getting suspend or even worse, expelled.

 

While Jongin, he was the next person that need Jongdae help to calm him down and prevent him to not throw a punch over Baekhyun face for being a douchebag. It took three of them bottles of soju before finally break the circuit of angers among them. Not Jongdae obviously, he always the calm one in their clique.

 

Jongin still not over the fact that his roommates was being extremely rude to Dahee. He swear that if he wasn’t a close friend of him, he would break Baekhyun face right there when he spitting harsh words to the poor lady.

 

“ you Baekhyun you !” Jongin spit out after holding it that long. At least he deserved this.

 

Baekhyun could not say much, but to agreed that he indeed the worst person on earth on that day. “I messed up, didn’t I?”

 

“You ing messed up dude!” Clearly, Jongin still not over it. “Damn! I’m so mad with you!”

 

When he was drunk enough, only then he admitted that he was the one in fault as he wasn’t thinking anything and just saying things out of his control when he was pissed earlier. Jongin slammed the tables with his fist to feel even more angry with him, saying that it should not be the excuses for him to act like a jerk.

 

Luckily, it only took Jongin one night and soberness to get over his angers towards Baekhyun. Jongdae, being the wise man advised Baekhyun to take break and quit being the soccer captain when he clearly have no interest on it anymore. It is pause-able as Jongin think that it wasn’t a best solution but as long as Baekhyun is happy, that will be good enough.

 

For past two days after weekends, Baekhyun managed to focus back on his pending final year project and complete his weekly assignment. At least, he managed to complete one by one task and be more organised after he had free times from soccer.

 

After class, he went straight back to his dorm, not even joining his other two friends for lunch. He was too tired and weirdly, his heart is aches— It was not to the level that he need to medication on it but it just hurts so bad. And somehow, he felt something was missing from his life.

 

Long sighs escaped from him while putting all his belongings on his study table. But then, Baekhyun spotted a parcel and inside it, there is a rectangular box wrapped neatly with a small white card on it. He swear that he never felt this nervous before.

 

He took the parcel and flipped around to see if there is anything that he can found as the hints from the sender. Nothing was found except for the receiving date. It was 5 days ago, even before his soccer game. He was so busy that time, no wonder he missed the package.

 

From the wrapper itself it showing that it was a gift for his birthday. Baekhyun curious, as he never received package for his birthday gift. His family will usually call him while Jongdae and Jongin will skip the gift but treats him with meals instead. He took out the small white greeting card before checking on the gift box.

 

Dear Baekhyun,

 

His heart dropped immediately upon reading the first line of the wishes after his name. If anything, everything that was wrote in the greeting card was more than enough for him. Such beautiful choices of words that made the plain card seems so meaningful. Baekhyun never felt he was this stupid before.

 

He wanted to swear at himself but before he added more points into why he had acted so stupid previously, he dig into the parcel and tore it apart to get the mysterious rectangle box. He unwrapped it slowly as he can imagine the effort of the sender when it was prepared. As soon as he opened the box, he was hit with a regret.

 

“What is that?” Jongdae ask since Baekhyun had gone silent and still in shocked over a minute.

 

“Who sent it?” Now it’s Jongin time to ask.

 

“Dahee—“ Baekhyun stuttered when mentioned the name of the person that he hurt so bad. “She bought me the latest Adidas jersey that I always wanted since long time ago. She— she remembered it. My birthday— ”

 

It was time for Jongin to sigh. He patted over Baekhyun back, “Do you know why she come to our game that day?”

 

“Because she wanted to personally wish you a happy birthday” He added. “But I guess she didn’t managed to say it to you before you asked her to leave”

 

The biggest regret in his life. Baekhyun wanted to tell her everything— maybe if he had been able to, the ending could have been differently, that maybe he would be there with her now instead of regretting everything here. And here he is, instead of there.

 

If only he can turn back times, if only he be more careful in his choices of words. If only he can appreciate her, if only he can do everything for her. If only. Those must be the two saddest words in for Byun Baekhyun.

 

“How do you feel now?” Jongin ask trying to be less sarcastic that he intended to his friend. He was still not over with what he did over the weekend.

 

Jongin didn’t let Baekhyun to say anything when he proceed to added, “How is that feel when it was too late when you just realised how pure her love was for you Baekhyun?”

 

“Worst. Ever” He admitting the fact. He was laying on the floor with his arm covering his eyes.

 

Jongdae nodded in agreement without any empathy for his friend. “Sure you’re right dude. Must feel bad for being that stupid right?”

 

Baekhyun defeated. His head hanging low and his hair was messy. “I’m such an , guys. I regretted every single thing I said to her and I swear if I could turn back the times I would tell her—”

 

“Tell her what?” Jongdae interrupted, or more into getting his friend to be honest. Baekhyun sigh as two of his roommates cornered on him.

 

“— I will tell her that actually I already fell for her, hard”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: First and foremost, I’m sorry to suddenly dropped the bomb with this chapter but hey, we should have some drama right? ;)

 

 

Comment, subscribe and vote if you want to see reverse role where Baekhyun try to win her back!

 

P/s: Aren’t you curious with what she wrote on the card..........