018

DARLING

Qq

 

Queuing on the line to check in for their baggage, Dahee could not hide her happiness by tapping her feet lightly on the floor. She had two plane tickets to Jeju Island and she never feel more excited to go home more than today. It has been few weeks including the idea proposal to her boyfriend to tag along, to execute the plan for Baekhyun to take his annual leave and finally the day to on board.

 

They never travel any far than Seoul outskirt, much more getting on plane together with Baekhyun. It should be fun, or more likely, it must be fun because she is getting a trip with her lovely boyfriend. Call it wish list but Dahee dream is to travel with her significant other on a lovely, romantic trip. Maybe it just a plan, casual trip back to her own hometown only; but of course, Baekhyun presence make everything special.

 

Jeju Island is not foreign place for and yes, she did dream about going to much better place like Santorini, Paris or Italy with her boyfriend but let just be realistic; Baekhyun and Dahee can’t afford it at this moment both in terms of financial or time. Getting her boyfriend to take long awaited annual leave was good enough considering how busy he was all year that it always become an excuse for them to travel somewhere.

 

“You look so happy today, baby” Baekhyun said as she was being nothing but giggling in the Uber until they arrived at the airport.

 

“Of course, I am!” She claimed. “I am about to have my first trip my boyfriend. It just made me so happy!”

 

Baekhyun stop in his movement and looks at her directly, “So you are saying that being with me excite you more than going back home to your family?”

 

“That is not what I mean, I missed my family like crazy, Baekhyun. Of course, I will be thrills to see them again after a while. But this is our first trip, first on board together in a plane, just thinking about that making me sleepless last night. I just could not wait for morning to come” She giggled.

 

“Luckily you are cute, Dahee” Baekhyun just shake his head looking at his playful girlfriend.

 

Baekhyun had no idea how many times his girlfriend took selfies on her own, even dragging him into the frame, posting every single moment into her Instagram stories and snapchat. He will never understand how people can be so engrossed into the social media life, but hey, he just doesn’t want to a party pooper and spoiled the moment. Maybe, because Baekhyun himself not active in social media, he did not get the thrills.

 

Initially tagging her along back to her hometown was not in Baekhyun plan at all. The year is approaching to the end and it gave Baekhyun a long list of multiple projects that he must handle. From several UAT to developing few applications; he sure that his work calendar was full.  But when will Baekhyun learn to reject whatever his girlfriend requests? He has so many soft spots for her that decided to work extra hard just to complete everything before taking leave for the whole week.

 

By seeing how happy his girlfriend is, it made he doubt himself if he could spare more times and money just to bring her girlfriend to travel and make her happy all time. He sighs to himself when as far as he can bring her so far was a day trip to Daegu. He would love to do that if he has the opportunity, but maybe, this is not the priority at this moment. Baekhyun does have plan for his future, for their future.  

 

“Baekhyun” She tugged to his shirt while calling his name as they passed the duty-free shop at the airport. “Can you buy me chocolate, please? I have been craving for it for few days”

 

“Sure baby. I was thinking actually if I should buy something for your family as gift?” He asked while looking at the souvenir area. 

 

Dahee had her attention full at her boyfriend at that moment. She reached for his arm and tugging into it. “You can buy it if you want, but it is not necessary Baekhyun. You know that they won’t mad or upset if you are coming with empty hand anyway”

 

“Did your parents drink wine, babe?” He asked completely ignored her words. “I think we can buy extra chocolates for Han too. Don’t worry baby I won’t take your portion for your to shares with your sister. I know you lowkey love chocolates more than your boyfriend” He teased.

 

She groaned. “Ugh! Finally, you could figure out on your own!” Dahee laughed as feeling great able to back.

 

Seoul-Jeju is nothing but just a normal route that she always took but this time it totally different. Usually what Dahee would do as soon as she onboard; she will plug in her earpod, blasting some music through her favorite playlist and immediately fall asleep as soon as the plane depart not even bother to listen to the safety instruction from the cabin crew.

 

But then, she had her buffy boyfriend beside her and someone who she can lean on to have a better nap. Byun Baekhyun—she wishes she can keep him forever because on their first plane together itself he just proves himself that he is indeed the best boyfriend, ever. He helped her fasten her seatbelt, even ask her if she have motion sickness or need anything before they fly, ugh! Baekhyun is just so lovely.

 

“Excuse me?” Dahee politely called out the stewardess who walks into the hallway. “Can you get me something to drink? Water will be fine”

 

She smiles as the stewardess stopped closely to their seats and pay attention to them. “Sure. Is there anything else I can get for you?”

 

Dahee quickly turns to Baekhyun and ask if he need anything, closing his eyes to rest for a while, he managed to mutter his request to her. “Oh, can you get a cup of coffee for my husband?”

 

His eyes widen and mouth agape as the stewardess leaving them to continue her work. Baekhyun looks at Dahee like he just saw a ghost. “W—what did you call me earlier? Hus—band? Husband? You call me husband, right? I’m sure I heard it right!”

 

Dahee had so much fun teasing Baekhyun that all off sudden the flashback when they both in uni playing on her mind. Just like before, Baekhyun still the same guy that flustered when she attacked him with her tricks. But now with a twist, where he can’t move on the scene and keep asking her to repeat again as that was the best thing he ever heard for his whole life. Her boyfriend like it too much that it does make her wonder, will that be their reality one day?

 

This will be fun—she had chanted this on head multiple times like a broken record. Dahee does make some research on what she can do to make their little trip anything better and she have a list where-to-bring her boyfriend once they reach the island. This is Baekhyun first time being in Jeju, so she had to make sure that everything will be perfect. Minus the part that she still nervous what her parents will think about her boyfriend, but that, is what she going to think later.

 

Bringing your boyfriend to come over your family house is indeed a big step. Especially for Dahee where she never even mentions about ‘boyfriend’ for her whole live (she used to be in 2 weeks relationship with her high school friend but that is too stupid to even bring up to her family). What will be her mother perception? How about her father? Will they be okay and accept him like Han did?

 

She recalled last two weeks when she was on call with Han and they wrecked their brain together on how to tell their parents that Dahee going to bring back Baekhyun with her. It was to the extend suggesting letting Baekhyun pretend to come as visitor who end up staying at their home because the hotel is full. Dahee quickly dismissed the idea as she knows her parents are not that stupid. It finally resolved when her mother overhear Han screaming on the phone call when Dahee let her know that Baekhyun has got her the latest DPR album specially for his future sister in law.

 

“Dahee! Baekhyun! Here!” Han voice echoed on the arrival hall of Jeju airport as she welcomed her sister and her boyfriend.

 

“Oh my God! I missed you so much little sissy” Dahee muttered as she hugs her sister right away. Only to let go few minutes later to jump into her mother embrace. “Mummy! I missed you the most!”

 

Baekhyun heart melt to witness the family reunited again, as it has been few months that Dahee have not gone back to Jeju. He did not really mind being left out there even when it is getting awkward. Luckily, it was not that long until Dahee noticed it and quickly pull him close to introduce him to her mother. “Mummy, meet my boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun, this is my pretty mother”

 

“Nice to meet you, Mrs Byul” He greet her politely with so much formality as this is their first meet up. But what he did not expect is when her mother replied, “So you are the one who rejected my daughter confession back then?”

 

It was awkward and tense as both Baekhyun and Dahee could not say anything. But when Han and Mrs Byul started to laugh among them, Baekhyun know it should not end up like this. “Kidding guys! Nice to meet you too, and welcome to Jeju!”

 

 

Going back to your hometown meaning that you will have time to catch up with old friends, had some fun, eating comforting foods and all and it also would be perfect opportunity for a group reunion or gathering. Dahee loves going to this kind of gathering as she need to catch up with her friends as she is staying miles away from them.

 

It not easy to get anyone you know, you missed, to be in the same gathering but at the same time it is not hard to keep away the face that you hate on the same roof. As much as she love being in the even that has been organized by her fellow friends, she hate the fact that another reunion meaning that another chance for meet the most ex-boyfriend, which she have decided as the most annoying person in the world.


Two weeks was the most tortures times that she ever had in her life, that is when she used to be Felix girlfriend. It was a week after being ‘in love’ with him when she found out that he asked her out because of the dare that his friends bet. It was stupid that she thought it was more useless when she spent the whole day crying her eyes out just because of him. Maybe she just too young at that time that she could not differentiate a good guy and like Felix.

 

Speaking of which, she had her eyes rolled immediately when he entered the venue with his groups of friends approaching to the table that she currently sits with her boyfriend. Dahee was so relieved that she managed to force her boyfriend coming with despite how he refused it. Baekhyun was so fine left alone at her home as he thought she could use her own time with her friends. Luckily Dahee brilliant brain wrecked out excuses that he won’t reject; which telling him that her ex-boyfriend will be there as well.

 

“Say, Baekhyun—” Felix started the conversation by calling him on opposite side. Dahee had imagine this before they are coming, and it is not surprise when Felix did it. “What you do for living at Seoul?”

 

One good thing about Baekhyun is he is a good analyzer and he know well that his girlfriend ex purposely being annoying throughout the event. But he remains calm as he answered, “I’m a senior system engineer at global company that I currently worked with”

 

“Ah you are working with other person, why don’t you start up your own business just like me? You will be getting rich faster that being an employee” Felix is boasting about his own company which does not really amazed both Dahee and Baekhyun. Nevertheless, he just smiles and shake his head to say that maybe he will it later.

 

It is getting suffocated to be in a place with such a snob, arrogant ex-boyfriend and Dahee could not wait for the event to end. She loves meeting her old friends again at reunion, but the downside growing up in small city is you will end up meeting the same person and the worst part is when your ex-boyfriend was in the circle too. Not wanting to hear any lame stories from Felix any longer, Dahee excuse herself to the restroom.

 

When she come back from the restroom and on her way back to her seat, she could see that the changes of the atmosphere almost immediately. The air suddenly feels tight and all she can see from far is how Baekhyun clenched his fist and his eyes pierced directly to Felix who had smirk on his face. She stayed at her position but move a bit closer, just enough to peek on their ongoing conversation.

 

Felix has been getting on Baekhyun nerves for few minutes, even before Dahee can hear the whole conversation. He started with cliché questions like how they meet each other, how long they have been together and stuff but what made Baekhyun straighten his posture from the seat was, “Why you have to pick Dahee as your girlfriend? I mean, you can do so much better, Baekhyun”

 

“Sorry Felix but what do you mean by that—I” Baekhyun was taken back by that.

 

The jerk then added more interrupting Baekhyun who about to answer his question. “Trust me when I said I regret the time we were being together. I can’t believe that I dated such an ‘average’ girl like her. You probably will feel the same soon”

 

“Felix, I’m sorry that you such a loser that you don’t even realize what you have done. It is either you are blind, or you are just ; there is nothing in between” Baehyun smirks. “Byul Dahee, my girlfriend is amazing as what she is. Maybe I don’t know her few years back, but I’m sure that if I did, I would say the same thing again, that she is the most beautiful, caring, and incredible girl I ever met”

 

All sudden Baekhyun claps his hand and laughing. “Well if I have to revised back what you said earlier, I would say that it will be Dahee that need to regret her decision in the past. It must be frustrating to date such a person like you. Like bro, no offense but can you look on a mirror? You are nothing but—”

 

He then playfully put his hand on his mouth like he was regretting his remark but no, Baekhyun was not done yet. “I don’t know if you are like hotshot or anything in this island but hell no, you are nothing compared to me so mind your ing business and do not say anything about my girlfriend you piece of ”

 

Dahee had witnessed everything as she was hiding behind the wall all the time it happened. This is what she scared most; that Baekhyun will lost his patient and eventually confront Felix. But luckily, he did not do anything worse than spitting fact to him. She just so proud of having a boyfriend who does not hesitate to defend his girlfriend in front of everyone. Byun Baekhyun—her own version of knight armor.

 

Hesitantly she walked closer and tapped on his shoulder, to get his attention. “Hey, you okay Baekhyun?”

 

He nodded and smile a bit as to reassure her. Baekhyun had a sense that she might have overhear everything or someone might have told her. After all, he did cause a scene when almost everyone looking at their table when Felix abruptly stand up and slammed his palm on the table before leaving the place. Luckily, her other friends who still there just nodded as acknowledgment for Baekhyun action. They probably hate Felix as much as Baekhyun did.

 

“I’m okay baby. It took you so long in restroom, I have missed you” He chuckles as he was saying the cringy remark to his girlfriend. He looks on the surrounding and notice that her seat that she once sits earlier has been taken by someone else and there is no available chair.

 

Her eyes widen and still in shocked when Baekhyun pull her out of nowhere for her to sit on his laps. “Baekhyun!” She screams in whisper as the embarrassment creeping into her slowly. “We are in public gathering in case you forget, babe”

 

“Everyone is busy with their own things Dahee, no one is looking at us” He replied and while shrugging his shoulder. “Well, maybe except that ” As he points out to Felix who are now standing in flame glaring at them from the corner of the place.

 

She sighs. While rubbing her boyfriend back, she says softly, “It is good that you are defending me, but really, you don’t need to do that”

 

“But he is downgrading my girlfriend. I won’t just shut up listen to all his crappy remarks” He replied, his voice is raising, but not too loud for anyone else to hear.

 

For Baekhyun, hurting his own girlfriend both physically and mentally will broke his heart too, but listening or witnessing someone saying bad about his love one enough to bring him to edge. He can’t absorb the fact how Felix can speak mindlessly about Dahee like she is not worth of anything. Baekhyun take care of her and giving all the loves she deserved, even more, but Felix can simply break her heart by saying all negative words just like that.

 

He is such an emotional person and he swear that if no one else was there and he stopped because he want to keep Dahee dignity in front of everyone, Baekhyun could beat him and make sure that he can spit anything bad more from his mouth, especially anything related to Dahee. Sure, he had heard that getting into fight because of woman is not worthy, but hell no, they are talking about his woman here. Which he ready to sacrifice everything just because of his love.

 

Dahee nodded as acknowledgment, “I know baby but there is no need to waste time for someone like him. It won’t make any difference as he probably hates me since beginning and will keep doing that. It will never be a lesson to people like him”

 

To other people that were at the venue, they sight of the two of them holding each other tightly might be a sweet romantic scene, but the truth is they are now holding their emotion, especially Baekhyun, to not burst out in public. It just made him pissed that Dahee just want to let go everything that Felix has said.

 

“So, you think it is okay for a me as your boyfriend to keep smiling and ignore his remarks like a stupid person I am? It hurt me so much when he muttered everything bad about you baby, I would have punch him right here in front of everyone if he did not stop earlier! Or should I just let it happen next time?”

 

In Baekhyun context, he just wants Dahee to know that it is not okay for someone to talk bad about her. He even explained to her that he will still stand up for her if she was not her girlfriend. A guy like him, or Felix, or any guy in this world, they should have respect woman as they are and not downgrading them in any other way. That is just not right.

 

Dahee can see the flames on his eyes, and she know that she had chosen the best guy ever as her boyfriend. Someone like Byun Baekhyun that without doubt, will stand up and defend her and be with her through any circumstances. Slowly, she cupped his face with both of her hand and smiles at him genuinely, “No Baekhyun darling. I want you to stand up for me and boost to everyone that I am your amazing girlfriend just like that”

 

He did not waste any longer to pull her in for a quick kiss and peck her forehead again to show his gratitude. It such a relived that they did not end up with another fight at her hometown. “I’m always proud of darling, of course I will protect you as much as I can”

 

 

There are few times that made Baekhyun sweats all over his forehead during his whole life. Like when he sat for college entrance exam, getting caught by her mother for burning his brother, Baekbeom football jersey because he was jealous, waiting for Dahee to return his love confession, and now this is another event; being at the same table with his girlfriend family for dinner.

 

From his observation earlier, Dahee mother, Mrs Byul was quite a chill and loving person. He was so sure that he can win her mother over his politeness and his killing smiles. Han, her sister is not even a matter as she promised him that they are now best buddies. But when he meets her father only few minutes before the girls serve for dinner, suddenly adrenaline rushed into him. What he should greet him, how he should address himself as Mr Byul boyfriend. The fact that he did this for the first time frighten Baekhyun even more.

 

He did stutter and shaking a bit which made Mr Byul shakes his head and laugh for the first time since he met Baekhyun that night. Not to make Baekhyun feeling uncomfortable, Mr Byul changed the atmosphere by telling him loose himself a bit and treat his house like his own. Well, Mr Byul even managed to joke, “You got to practice be comfortable at your in law house, don’t you think so, Baekhyun?”

 

Maybe Baekhyun meet the right family that suitable with his character that it made them clique right away. Converse a bit of technology business which Mr Byul expertized at and telling the Jeju family about his family bringing the whole situation a lot better than he expected. Now that Mrs Byul has been briefly informed how cool his mother is, she even said that she wish that she could meet his mother one day.

 

But of course, both Baekhyun and Dahee can’t run from the questions regarding their relationship. Of how they met each other, how they can get along despite their similar characters (Mr Byul does think that her daughter talkative much that he doubts if Baekhyun can stand her) in a joke manner, obviously. The only question that activate back his nervous system was when Mr Byul asked if they going to take their relationship to the next level after she graduate.

 

“Are you nervous Baekhyun?” Han asked playfully she noticed how the poor guy playing with his fingers secretly under the dining table.

 

That received a good laugh from everyone as it is getting visible that he is indeed nervous despite denying it for few times. “Don’t be. You will need to get comfortable if you want to be part of the family” Mrs Byul reassures him to be more comfortable.

 

“This wine is good. You have a good taste, Baekhyun. Thank you for giving us with this” Mr Byul said while taking the first sip, diverting the conversation into new topic as he noticed the glares that her daughter sent to him.

 

“You are welcome Mr Byul. I did not know that you are a fan of wine, I will make sure to bring a better one for my next visit” He said politely. Truthfully, he still feels the nervousness kick in even though her parents already ask him to be more comfortable.

 

Dahee on the other side of the table already shakes her head. “Uh oh, not necessary bab—” She almost slipped to call him with his pet name but quickly remembered that she still in her family dinner. “—Baekhyun, not necessary. My dad has a lot and again I would say that let’s not drinking much, okay Dad?”

 

“Dad! Dahee is about to call Baekhyun baby! Euww!” Han snickered on the opposite side which makes Baekhyun eyes widen and Dahee to kick her secretly (not so) under the dining table.

 

Her parents are cool with that actually, especially when her mother backup Dahee by saying, “Oh I don’t think that will be problem for a lovely couple like them. Don’t you think so, honey?” As she pointed out to her husband.

 

“Of course. Just like our good old times. I wish we are still young” Her father said casually which received eyes rolls from the only single (and annoyed) person, Harin. 

 

He survived—that is what Baekhyun said to his girlfriend as soon as they finish up cleaning and parting to their own business from the rest of the family. It was still early at night and Baekhyun does not really want to part with his girlfriend this early. Especially when her parents and sister seem like has given green light for them to spend time together.

 

Baekhyun suggested for them to take a walk around her housing area but Dahee refused it as she said that she has a better idea to enjoy the sky of Jeju Island at night. Not to argue more as he was so sure Dahee, the owner of house knows better of her hometown, Baekhyun just follow her to the rooftop of their house as she guided her.

 

It was more into Dahee comfort spot in the house, the place that she will go and spend her time alone when she fight with her sister, having little misunderstanding with her parents or when she feel like wanted to be alone enjoying the night. She had brought along a mini blanket, two mini stools for her and boyfriend to do some stargazing.  

 

“The sky is prettier here in Jeju compare to Seoul. It’s been awhile since I got chances to do stargazing like this—” He muttered it while looking at her pretty girlfriend, “Especially with the love of my life”

 

It been a while since they got together but it still gives the butterflies effect every time, he is saying something cheesy out of nowhere. Baekhyun with his cute pajamas, leaning on his palm while comfortably laying on the bean bag, looking at her like she is some sort of angel. “Are you saying this to get me into your bean bag and cuddles you all night long?”

 

He shakes his head is disagreement, “Baby, that would be lovely, but we are at your parents house. We have to respect that even deep in my heart I would love you to sit on my lap and make out under the beautiful stars, wow, that will be freaking romantic!”

 

“Yah! Byuntae Baekhyun!” Dahee should have not asked that question at the first place. Initially, she asked because she knew how clingy her boyfriend would be or he will just simply want to have their bodies tangle because he is being (which what he used to do back in his room in Seoul).

 

“Kidding darling” He cooed while looking at the stars again. “Your parents let me stay in the same house is good enough” Her dad being the typical Asian parents warn him at the first place for them not sleep on the same room (at least not here, inside their house).

 

He then added, “I like your family” Baekhyun confessed out of nowhere which made Dahee glares at him suspiciously. “No babe, I’m not saying this because I want to you feel good or anything, but they are so kind and very welcoming that it actually helps me to feel less nervous. I was imagining the worst that I might need pack up my thing and fly back to Seoul”

 

“I’m glad too. That I don’t have to create unnecessary drama to choose either my boyfriend and family” And deep down, she just cannot wait for Baekhyun to become part of her family. 

 

Their journey still long as there is so much things in between that they need to fill in before reaching to that part of their relationship. It could be in few years back as Baekhyun still need to grow his career, and Dahee, she has one semester more before graduate, find a stable job and achieve her dream. They still young and have nothing to rush about, but just imagine about the future that they will build together making her happy.

 

Dahee does have her own dream of getting a good job at a global IT company just like Baekhyun, or even take few more certs to add into her IT skills, and she does have a wish list to repay back what she has gained to her family that has become her biggest supporter through out her studies journey. Getting married is such a huge topic to discuss, but she does want to spend her life with her boyfriend. Getting old together with so many memories to shared sound like a good plan.

 

“How was it so far? Do you like being in Jeju, Baekhyun?” She prompts him with a conversation as seeing her boyfriend immersed with the beauty of sky.

 

He smiles, “I like being here. It such a calm place that made me forget the busiest lifestyle I had back in Seoul. Now I know why your father decided to move here when you still a kid. How about you, sweetheart? Do you like staying here?”

 

“Not really” Her answered surprised Baekhyun a little bit. Not to make her boyfriend confuse more, she explained further. “I grow up here and I used to the calmness, but then I always love the thrills of being in busier city. The vibe. That is why I decided to go to Seoul”

 

“What if—” He take a deep breath before resuming his words, “Let say one day later we are living together, get married to each other and I decided to move out of Seoul, will you be okay? That you have to leave everything and follow me?” Truthfully, Baekhyun himself can’t imagine him being in different city than Seoul, the place that he had spent his entire life, but he just wants to know her input from his question.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows in suspicious, not really expect that he will ask that far. Nevertheless, she still gives her honest answer, “That will be ridiculous if you think I will not follow you anywhere. Well, where else I can go if you are the only person that made me feel like home? You are my home, Byun Baekhyun”

 

 

 
 

 

A/N: I was supposed to post this on weekend but…..

[Edited: Due to commitment to my work LOL] Part 2 of Jeju will be up next Saturday! Comment more if love them ❤️❤️