001

DARLING

Aa

 

Americano with extra ice— She looks into the receipt and immediately regret after she spent 7$ on her morning coffee. Dahee has been swearing again for the third time today, just because the new barista at her favourite coffee shop forget to add two pumps of sugar syrup into her drink.

 

She likes the bitterness of the coffee, but she can’t take it when it was served raw— to be honest, that was excuses as today is just not her day. She wake up late, missed her bus and when she reached her Programming class, her professor already locked the lecture hall. What can be more wrong than that. Yes, a bitter coffee that she had wasted her money into.

 

Two semesters has been completed and it is only third days of her second year in Seoul National University, pursuing her bachelor degree in Computer Science. Yet, Byul Dahee already complained that this semester will be hard.

 

Dahee did complained a lot about her studies, but then ironically she will be the one that will score a dean list award on every semester. Maybe, having a good brain is a great gift for someone like her. Really— her friends think she’s amazing as for someone who always skip classes and spend her time mostly on sleeping during lectures, she can called genius as she ace all the scores in examination.

 

“Finally you are here!” She groaned when she finally spotted her bestie coming towards her at the cafe.

 

“I’m sorry that I late” Her bestie, Harin replied sarcastically. “Unlike you, I managed to go for Dr Han class”

 

“Okay— okay. I overslept this morning. But then, Programming class should end 30 minutes ago. Why are you late?”

 

Harin stole her americano, trying to catch her breath while explaining her situation Dahee. “Ah! I went to library to return a book and then— I met my crush— and I kind of lost my time and forgot I need to meet you here”

 

“So you tell me sissy, what is so good about having crush?” Dahee asked lazily, to be honest, she just want her bestie to get over the topic quickly.

 

“The adrenaline when you suddenly see him from afar, or listening to his voice or when you unknowingly smiling when people mention about him”

 

She then concludes, “ Overall it is nice to have a crush on someone. It feels like you're alive, you know?” Harin getting excited again when she remembered about her crush in the class earlier.

 

“You are bluffing, Harin” She rolled her eyes.

 

“No! The feeling is wonderful. But then, it only best when you have crush towards someone that will never know about your feelings” Harin explained.

 

“You mean— unrequited love?”

 

“Having a crush is not as serious as you are in love but yeah, you can say that”

 

Harin was infomed that her bestie like the idea of having a boyfriend itself; not a crush. She have a point when it comes to assurances, as boyfriend is yours and having a crush; it is like an open game. It’s either you get it or not.

 

Being a pretty girl with a friendly personality— Dahee never been in the situation that she is the chaser one. So she have no experiences in being the one who initiate the relationship, or being the first one to confess to the person.

 

“If it was me, I would’ve not telling the person that I like that he is my crush” Harin shakes her head. “Never!”

 

“But then the other person will never know that you actually like him” Dahee provide her input, which absolutely opposite from her bestie thought. “Plus, you may loose your chance to be with him. Who knows that he actually like you too?”

 

“Still no-no for me. I’m too shy to even speak to my crush” Unlike Dahee, Harin is a shy person. The differences makes them closer. “Okay then, how about you? Will you confess directly to your crush?”

 

“Well—“ Dahee trying to get some excuses so that she can avoid this kind of questions. “I will. But not when I have no one to crush on at this moment”

 

 

Yawning again for the Nth time of day, Dahee really wanted to scream out loud her dissatisfaction about her being forced to go her uni event on this bright, Saturday morning. On her usual weekend, she will be on her bed, under her fluffy comforter into her dreamland. Screw up her merit marks for her co-curriculum, or else she wouldn’t be here.

 

The fact that Harin was not here to be he with her along the 4 hours boring event, is the worst. Dahee usually will not have issue in making new friends or get along with other students from different faculties; but morning event is totally not her jammed. Byul-Grumpy-Dahee— you can her that.

 

Firstly, she hate a place with full crowd. Secondly, that is it. She had enough with everyone cramping around each other and the fact that the emcee of the event totally bring the mood down, Dahee really need to find her way out of the event. Slowly, she get up from her seat and moving towards the exit door trying her best to not get noticed by anyone.

 

“The girl at the back!” The emcee voice echoed around the hall.

 

And of course, Dahee was busted.

 

“Where you think you are going?” He ask, now all students attention on her.

 

“Hmm— washroom? Please excuse me” She replied politely. Dahee was lying and it’s pretty obvious. She quickly turns around and resume her walks.

 

“Hyunsik, don’t be that strict to our junior. They might run away from our event, you know” Another voice interrupted.

 

Dahee has missed out a lot of gathering of their uni event throughout the year but she surely know some of her seniors in her faculty. She is someone with lot of connection in the uni; she knew almost everyone but then— why it seems like this is the first time she heard this voice.

 

She halted in her steps, to turns back around peeking through the doors to find the owner of the voice. Who is he? Where did he come from? And most importantly, from where he got that voice; the one that lured her and definitely caught her attention.

 

This can’t be. Dahee need to know who is he. She can only heard his voice from the washroom area; she need to see his face. If his voice was this good, his face probably on the same level as it. Even though she has betrayed herself by returning back to her seat for the event; she didn’t mind at all. As long as she find the owner of the voice.

 

It probably because of the good light setting on the stage, but his face seems glistening under the spotlight, making his visual more outstanding than it already is. The moment he took the mic again and begin the show, Byul Dahee know that she was ruined.

 

“Hello everyone, my name is Byun Baekhyun”

 

Suddenly it is like she is thirteen again and he's her stupid-classmare crush. All she is aware of in this entire roomful of people is him. Where he is, what he's doing, who he's talking to. She will definitely remember his name and his perfect smile from now on.

 

Since that day (for the first time she managed to stay until the event was over) Dahee finally find a reason to come to uni and not skip her classes. She need to find him again, she need to see Byun Baekhyun, her senior that she confirmed to have crush on.

 

After go through some ‘research’ she found out that Baekhyun is her senior on the same faculty. He will have 1 semester left before he graduate. Baekhyun and his other two friends is a group of senior that were sent out to China for student-exchange program for 2 semesters, during Dahee freshman year, and that is why she never seen him before.

 

Computer Science student will have 4 year in total, Baekhyun is now on his last year of degree, and with Dahee on second year of studies, she concludes that Baekhyun must at least 2 years older than her. What a perfect for Dahee potential boyfriend.

 

When she just want the most handsome, college heartthrob— Byun Baekhyun as her boyfriend. What else can go wrong?

 

“Their popularity. That’s it” Harin slapped her into reality.

 

There are 3 of them. Byun Baekhyun, Kim Jongin and Kim Jongdae. Since they came back, the girls at uni having a feast on their visual every time they passed by the hallway. It could be new for Dahee’s batch, but for SNU itself; the trio was known as the visual of the technology university.

 

Jongdae is the smarter one, with his role-model visual, he is definitely someone that can passed all mothers checklist when you bring him as the candidate of your future husband. Another Kim’s is Jongin. If you are into y-bad boy images, you surely will melted over him. Dahee has witnessed by her own eyes when there’s a student who fainted when he winked at her. Well, that’s crazy.

 

Byun Baekhyun— Dahee spent the whole day at the library after she bumped into him a week ago. She just sit there and watch him, and grow to like his personality. She was amazed by his good voice, then his handsomeness and when she learned about him; Baekhyun is just someone that she can’t forget.

 

He loves to talk to his friends, she noticed how he managed to get the grumpy Jongdae reacts and made Kai bursts into laughter with his silly jokes. One day she heard that Baekhyun telling them a joke, ‘What do you call a guy with a rubber toe’ he then answered them, ‘Roberto’.

 

It was stupid, but he is Byun Baekhyun and everything he does is flawless to her.

 

Too bad that Byul Dahee was not the only one thinks that he’s handsome. Surely she found out her rivals when she keeps seeing different girls trying to hit on Baekhyun every time. Thanks God that her bestie have interest not on him; or else she’s ready to pull off her hair on a fight.

 

“Look at him. So handsome!”

 

“I know right!” Her best friend agreed. “Jongin definitely perfect! Look at his body portion, his face, his—“

 

“I’m not talking about him” As Dahee pointed out to the guy next to him.

 

“You mean the talkative one? Byun Baekhyun?” Harin was actually surprise that she actually have interest on different guy; not the great Kim Jongin.

 

Dahee eyes still on Baekhyun, nodded as she smiled looking at him. “Yes. Isn’t he amazing?”

 

“O—okay he is your style. I got it. But sis!” Dahee knew that her bestie have doubts on her choice. “You both are literally, almost similar. No offence but you both literally a chatty person”

 

“And?—“ Dahee was taken back but still curious on what she’s trying to say.

 

Harin shakes her head in disagreement. “What I meant is when two talkative person in a relationship; they mostly argue as both of you probably too busy to put a blame on each other”

 

“Ahhh!” Dahee sigh. “Lets discuss about that later”

 

 

The reasons why you should have boyfriend:

You want to fall in love, a new best friend, someone to get all romantic and to have adventure’

 

“Adventure your ” Dahee muttered as she find the statement absurd.

 

“Shhh!”

 

The librarian have to remind her again as Dahee violated the rules in the library for making noises. She quickly apologised and bring her head down as she felt bad for the other students, who apparently have some serious study-sessions that she can’t relate into.

 

Dahee was there to kills some times, as she have to be in the Database class conducted by Mr Min in next 30 minutes. She was thinking to take a short nap, especially when her classes started early today. But when she scrolled her social media feeds and saw her cousin updated that she have a new boyfriend, suddenly her sleepiness gone.

 

It could be that the article that she read on Harper Bazaar magazine has triggered her; the article mentioned how someone university life will changes when they have partner— in a positive way. Out of sudden, it seems like eye-opener for Dahee and she wondered, why all this while she was single and don’t have a boyfriend? She is not a loser and she is attractive— what stopped her then?

 

That exactly what Dahee would do. This year, she determined to get a boyfriend.

 

“Boyfriend like Byun Baekhyun”

 

Dahee was so into her thoughts that only after few minutes she finally realised that Baekhyun was looking at her directly. She was looking on her right and on her left; no one was there. There’s no sight of other student behind her. And then, she got it. Did she say it that loud?

 

“Oh no. Why did I even think of talking about him publicly” Awkwardly, she gather her things before getting up from her table.

 

She was not supposed to be nervous, she is a confident person that have no issue confronting anyone; Baekhyun should be easy for her to talk to. But not when he suddenly walking to her direction.

 

“No no no please just ignore me” She tried to action faster and leave the place.

 

“And oh he noticed me” At this rate, there is no way that she can make this situation become more awkward that it already is. This is Byul Dahee, she can do this. As she speak to herself.

 

“Excuse me but miss, you have checking on me since earlier. Who are you?” He is the popular senior, of course he wouldn’t remember her.

 

“Hello. I’m Byul Dahee and hey! We have the same surname” She started the conversation.

 

“Pardon?” Baekhyun with his who-the-heck-this-girl-is face.

 

“Firstly, I don’t know you. Secondly, my family name is Byun. It wasn’t same at all” Being a sassy boy, he knew well how to react to this kind of sudden meet-up.

 

Dahee put her best smile while nodding. “I know. I just want to make a conversation with you”

 

He knitted his eyebrows in confusion. Baekhyun had multiple girls coming at him confessing their love, but this is definitely one of a kind. Out of curiosity, he then ask, “All of sudden? Why?”

 

“Because I like you, Byun Baekhyun”

 

Baekhyun deadpanned reaction made him look cold to her. “Did you just confessed to me?”

 

“I did” Seeing his reaction being all blushing made her want to more.

 

“Wait— I don’t like you” He have to make it clear, heck, he doesn’t even know who she is.

 

She patted his shoulder, feeling Baekhyun getting all panic. “I don’t mind that. Baekhyun, liking me back is your option”

 

“But what will do now you know that you have one-sided crush?” Never in his life, a woman that can make him go all sweaty like this.

 

Dahee just smiles, “I have to make you like me back, then”

 

Oh woman, she is totally one of a kind. Baekhyun thoughts.