017

DARLING

Qq

 

Quarter passed 9AM, Dahee still furiously tapping on the keypad of her mobile phone as she keeps reaching out her boyfriend over the phone. It was Friday and she understood that he may on his way to his office or having breakfast with his house mate or even driving on the busiest road of the Seoul city. But still, she needs to be connected to him on the line as her worries will not get away.

 

Yesterday, she witnessed how Baekhyun had a hard time to rest as his headache keep messing up with his body. Unfortunately, she had to leave as early as 7.30PM as she had promised her teammates for group project discussion, she had to leave her sick boyfriend with not knowing if he still had it covered or still in the pain.

 

It was 10 minutes later but he still not reachable and not able to hear it is ringing which made her worries grows more. The worst possibility that she could think of was what if Baekhyun passed out in his room alone while Jongin had gone to work? She secretly wishes that Jongdae still living with them so that at least, she can rely on him.

 

A year has been passed since Jongdae moving out of the house to pursue his master study at German and lot of things has passed too along the way. Jongin still being the same helpful best friend to both Dahee and Baekhyun, Harin finally getting a boyfriend which made Dahee completely out of feeling guilty as there is someone to check on her bestie while she is out most of the time spending time with Baekhyun.

 

“Hey, it took you long enough to pick up my calls” She almost cursed but compose herself when he finally pick up the call. Dahee start the conversation feeling a little annoyed with her boyfriend.

 

Baekhyun already had his morning ruined with his headache, dealing with clingy girlfriend is the last thing he could think of. “Sorry, I was on elevator with full of other employees, in case you forget that by this time I would usually has arrived at the office. What is it that you are calling, Dahee?”

 

“There is no need to be sarcastic with Baekhyun” She scoffed. “Did your headache go away over a night?”

 

Baekhyun shake his head and massage his temple slowly. “Not really, I can feel the same pain as last night”

 

“This is exactly I am looking for you babe, why are still coming to work when you already had a bad headache?” Dahee still can get in her mind why he still being committed to his job when he is sick at the first place.

 

“It is not that bad, baby. I can manage it” Baekhyun said while setting up his laptop at this workplace. “I still have lots of work that I need to do. Don’t worry much okay?”

 

It is not convincing but Dahee don’t want to argue more to add more his stress. “Okay, but please take care of yourself okay? Take a leave if you need, so that you can rest. Love you”

 

“Hmm” And that is the only thing that coming out from his before the call ended.

 

Baekhyun wish that he can listen to his girlfriend advise to take leave and rest for the day. He wishes that he was the one to come out with the brilliant idea himself as he knows how bad his headache had messed up with his condition. But as he just part of the employee who need to work hard to secure his current position, he had no other option other than work off his body.

 

Over few months working at the same company with outstanding performance, he was lucky enough to be promoted into senior developer engineer in his team. And of course, it must be paid with commitment which also means he had to work double from what he did previously in order to match with his current salary. That will include scarifying a lot of things along the way.

 

He noticed that sometimes it does take a toll on himself. As he tends to overwork, sometimes it does bring harm to his body. That is the reality of working life which we, as a human, does not really have choice in it. Nevertheless, he grateful that he still has a comfortable job that pay him fairly but at the same time still doing the scope that he is good in. But once the stress kicks in, he can’t help but to let it out into the wrong channel. His girlfriend, for example.

 

[12.06pm]

From: Byul Dahee

Make sure you not taking coffee when you have a bad headache.

 

[12.17pm]

From: Byul Dahee

Is your headache getting better Baekhyun?

 

[12.45pm]

From: Byul Dahee

Please make sure you take your lunch and medicine if necessary. Don’t work too hard yeah baby? Take care of yourself.

 

[1.14pm]

From: Byul Dahee

I have a feeling that you will skip your lunch before of your work. I won’t bother you anymore if you tell me you are taking care of yourself and doing fine.

 

That was last message that he keeps it on read receipt before he decided that it should be enough. Baekhyun dismissed his group meeting that has been going on for almost 2hours as he wrapped the last agenda. It was good news for his other team as it has passed lunch hour.  Dealing with defect project is not an easy task and he already wrecked his brain out when he received call from delivery guy for lunch delivery which he never knows that he ordered.

 

He does not have to ask further to the delivery guy for the details as he already expected from who it comes. Quickly thanked him, he places the lunch meal on his table before taking his phone out and snap a photo to send it right away via text message. Baekhyun quickly press the call icon on the contact list before it pickup up by the recipient.

 

“There is no need to send me thousands of messages asking me every minute if I was okay” Baekhyun huffed on the other line. “And what is this will all this food delivery? I know when to eat, you don’t have to do this”

 

That was unexpected especially coming from her boyfriend who rarely act like that. Nevertheless, Dahee still calm to get her point delivered. “Don’t exaggerate, I just send some of it” It will be stupid if he think she did not get his sarcasm.

 

Dahee then explain herself. “I was asking because I care about you, Baekhyun. I know how you tend to overwork yourself. You need to eat on time at least if you want to get better”

 

“But I’m not a child! I can take care of myself” If she had not understood her boyfriend truly, she would have said that Baekhyun being rude to her. “Really, Dahee, I don’t think it is necessary to bother me with you being annoying and clingy like this—”

 

He was cut off immediately by Dahee, “Wait, Baekhyun, you think I am annoying and clingy now? Are you being serious now” Obviously getting mad at him.

 

“You know I did not mean it like that, baby” He sigh, at the same trying to control his temper.

 

Maybe because they have been together passed a year now, there is no need for Dahee to hide her feeling from him. “Of course, you did or else you won’t say it after all I have done for you!”

 

“Look, I am busy now and it will be understandable if you can leave me alone and let me finish my works” He said quickly as he want to end their conversation.

 

As much as she wanted to understand his situation, Dahee can’t help but feeling hurt for what he has said. “Fine Baekhyun. You do what you think what the best for you and I’m sorry for being a caring girlfriend over her sick boyfriend!”

 

With that, she hung up him on the line. Leaving Baekhyun stress more than he already is.

 



It will hurt her pride to come run to Baekhyun and being clutch to him as if nothing happened, or even call him after a heated conversation they had earlier. But that would not stop her worries over her boyfriend. Sure, that she still pissed over the fact that Baekhyun being unreasonable and it just not fair how he made her worried the whole day while ignoring her when she offered to help.

 

As much as she wanted to ignore it and telling herself that he is adult that know how to take care of himself on his own, all the memories of Baekhyun being whining and helpless every time he fall sick flashed into her mind and as if there is a switch on her mind, Dahee decided that, screw it, Byun Baekhyun, she is going to see him (or at least pretend like she going there for another motive) to check on his condition.

 

“I’m here to pickup my bag that I forgot to bring with me yesterday” Dahee simply said to Jongin as soon as the door opened, while getting his permission to enter the boys apartment. He was a bit puzzled, as if this is the first time she come there.

 

But when he saw how Baekhyun still did not utter any words but to follow her into his bedroom, Jongin might get the idea that the two may in argument. His best friend already coming from work being all worn out, stress and does not look good. Something must off with him but Jongin think that Baekhyun may just have his bad day at the office earlier.

 

Jongin was so sure that he was right especially when she slurred monotonous speech. “I won’t take much of your time, don’t worry” Luckily the couple is now out of Jongin his sight, because he swears that it was just so, so awkward.

 

Dahee would not need the bag that she accidentally left last night, but she glad that she can use it as an excuse for her to see Baekhyun without looking so desperate. But of course, the girl needs to play the fierce girlfriend she is. It will be a lie if she said that she was not affected after her boyfriend calling her annoying and clingy.

 

She know well how to keep the same expression over her face every time they had argument and he was the one at fault; well call it strategy but it does work for Baekhyun to beg her on her feet just to get her forgiveness. As for today, it quite surprised that he still has not say anything about their argument. Maybe, Baekhyun truly stress and busy with his work.

 

Following her along the way as made her way into his bedroom to get her belonging, Baekhyun then pull her body turn to face him. Not really have energy to continue the argument further, he pressed his face into her chest and hug her a bit tighter as if he doesn’t want to let her go. “I’m sorry Darling. I know I should not let out everything to you when I’m stressing myself”

 

His pout, his weak expression and his face that begging forgiveness is her biggest weakness. "You know I'm not trying to be a clingy girlfriend or anything you named it, I just care about you Baekhyun. I'm sorry for being clingy and annoying” Dahee fingers now accidentally brushed on his skin and feel that the poor boy might caught a little fever.

 

“No, no baby you are not anything like that. I know how you care about me, I love you being clingy and well—” Baekhyun then take one her palm and place it on his forehead, “You always right baby, I think it just getting worse”

 

Dahee just shrugged her shoulder as to express her iconic i-told-you-so phrase. “What you want me to do now, Baekhyun?”

 

“Don’t call me with my name, call me baby, please” Here it goes the super clingy Baekhyun that will make appearance every time he is sick. “I need you to be here with me and give me all your love”

 

He thought that his fierce girlfriend will eventually being all giddy and run to snuggles him but boy, do not underestimate what she capable of. Dahee still not over the argument yet, as she still fuming with the fact that her boyfriend ignores her and being sick at the end of the day. But it will be selfish if she returns the same attitude that he gave her this morning despite he is being sick now.

 

He pouted and take one of her hand to play with his fingers, “Are you still mad at me, darling? But I’m sick” Baekhyun almost want to scream to get his kisses dose, but cancel it right away as he don’t want Dahee to get sick too.

 

“Have you taken your medicine?” She asked coldly, completely ignored his previous question and her eyes is digging him more when Baekhyun shake his head.

 

“How about dinner? You skip dinner as well?” She grunted when he gave her the most expected answer from his mouth. Dahee sigh and tell him to wait while she is making something for him to eat. There is no way that he can take the pills without food beforehand.

 

Dahee then made her way to the kitchen (she relived that Jongin has gone to his own bedroom or else she need another 10 minutes in explaining her current situation), begin to boil an instant chicken soup packet that the boys had as their stock. Luckily, it was fast enough to be serve and once ready, she brings it to the bedroom for Baekhyun to eat.

 

Sitting beside him on the bed, she shakes his body a bit to wake him up. Baekhyun had snooze off few minutes while she gone to the kitchen. “Sit up, Baekhyun” She muttered when he regains consciousness. He nodded his head and followed her instruction to sit properly before looking at the bowl again.

 

Dahee brows furrowed at his action, thought it seemed like he is going to turn down the dinner and being stubborn again. Only after two minutes but his girlfriend still clueless about Baekhyun being a baby wanted to be feed, he directly asks if she could do that for him. Dahee rolls her eyes and pretend like she did not understand his body language for his request.

 

All Baekhyun need to do is simple as he just saying that he will not eat it and will skip the medicine as well if she did not want to feed him tonight. Knowing how persistent her boyfriend can be (Dahee was so sure that he will starving all night just to get her attention), she eventually gives in and start to feed him. He smiles in joy but Dahee still keeping with her poker face.

 

Dahee then continue to feed him, well he was enjoying it and finishing the whole bowl in few minutes. She wipes his face with a tissue and clean up the mess that he purposely made, again, just to get her attention. At this point, she lowkey want to feed Baekhyun with the tissue itself for being annoying. He whined when she then giving him the pills for him to swallowed.

 

It is like a pull and push game when he started to avoid the pills and saying that he is getting better just with her presence. She almost buys it but when he suddenly began to groan feeling the headache again, she had no choice but force him a like a five years old kid. Baekhyun does hate the idea of taking the medicine, but she hates it more when seeing him in pain.

 

“Do I still need to take it, Dahee?” He asked again trying his luck if he can get away with it.

 

Feeling guilty that he had wasted her time worrying about him, Baekhyun then swallowed the pills and took water in one big gulp, wincing at the distasteful remedy. She swears that he looks funny with the disgusted expression he shown. Dahee control her herself to laugh and gather the empty bowl, walking back to the kitchen to clean up.

 

Occupying herself with dishes cleaning on the kitchen sink, she turned around feeling someone deep stare on her, to see Baekhyun standing at the entrance of the kitchen staring at her nervously. “Why are you here? You should take some rest” She said before rinse off the last piece of utensils to get back on current task.

 

Baekhyun come closer, wrapping his hand around her waist and resting his chin comfortably on her shoulder. Baekhyun hummed before he places a sweet kiss on it. “Thank you so much Dahee, you are the best girlfriend I could ever ask”

 

She titled her head a bit looking at him, still not showing any smile since she stepped into the apartment earlier. “Do you really mean it?”  

 

Baekhyun nodded eagerly. “I know you are still mad at me but here you are, cooking for me, taking care of me. I would never be able to thank you enough for all you did for me, but darling, I’m so grateful that you choose me to be with you”

 

“Of course, I am mad at you. You are calling me clingy when I was worried sick of you” She sigh. “I know how you love your job but Baekhyun, what is the point of working when your body is weak”

 

“I know baby, I know” He pouted again before Dahee nodded a bit showing that she is now okay with him. “I will listen to you next time, I am promise you myself”

 



Post argument; it is either make it better or getting worse for the relationship. As for Baekhyun and his girlfriend they lucky that it always ends up with a good outcome. Either they end it with heated make up or simply cuddles under warm blanket, they would eventually come to a phase where they will discuss it thoroughly to make it work.

 

Most of the time they will point out the issue and come out with solution that will bring good outcome to both parties. Even when Dahee is younger than Baekhyun, he glad that his girlfriend is so matured and able to think rationally when it comes to solve their problems, which made he love her more in any possible way.

 

Sometimes he just staring at her beautiful eyes and wonder how can he showing her more of his love? He wanted Dahee to get the best and feel loved all the time; because that is how he felt every time they are together. His older brother, Baekbeom still can’t pass the cringey part every time Baekhyun going back to his family house and rant his endless love towards girl to his mother. While her mother, she is always be the number one of Baekhyun-Dahee shipper.

 

“Should I get a tattoo of your name on my body?” For once, she thought that Baekhyun was kidding that she just laughs it off.

 

But then he clarifies himself, “Well I was being serious for a minute, thinking if I should do it. I really love you more than everything, babe, I want to show it to everyone”

 

For once, Dahee felt so grateful that she found someone that love her more than she is. Not that saying she did not love him, in fact they do love each other equally, but he is showing her everything he want to do just to express how he fond of her. As she once believed that there is no way that a man can be more loving than the girl in a relationship, well, Baekhyun has proved her wrong.

 

She caresses his cheek affectionately and looking into his eyes deeply, “You can do if you want that, but I think your mother would hate the idea. Do not upset her, okay?” Dahee still remember his mother preference that it shocked him a bit. “Plus, you don’t have to do to that extend to show me your love, you already do it right, Baekhyun”

 

Baekhyun pull off a bit her shirt to see the purple mark on her neck that he made, “Well damn baby, you are so right” He said teasing her while biting his lower lips ily.

 

God, this man, Byun Baekhyun playing so many tricks on her head that she still can’t get passed the phases where still not being blushed over his ual remarks. It amazed her how he can switch from y man to cuddle bear over a minute, finding his own way to make her flutters every time. He does treat her like a queen she is, respect her as what she deserved and worship her like a Goddess.

 

Cuddles is her favourite things after her boyfriend and to cuddle with Baekhyun himself, make everything better. Baekhyun smell so good and he is so warm that it does feel like home when she is in his embrace. The way he wrap his arm over him waist and he play with her hairs, sometimes singing her to sleep or whisper all sweet confession, that is all she could ask for.

 

There was the time when they went out together on a night date and going back to his apartment very late. It was way passed curfew time to get back into her dorm and she decided to crash over his boyfriend place. Dahee was too sleepy when she had drained all her energy for the date and too tired to do everything except to sleep and hug her boyfriend like a koala all night.

 

But Baekhyun being a caring boyfriend he is, he took the makeup wipes she had on her handbag, wipe out all her makeup (Dahee was completely passed out to care about everything), change her into his hoodie so that he can sleep better, and put a fluffy sock over her feet as it is winter and getting his precious girlfriend to sick is the last thing he want it to happened.

 

It does remind her when he was still at uni and the phases when she completely ignored him because she was hurt due to the harsh rejection. She remembered how Harin rushed to get back into their dorm just to pass her a bag full of medicine, chocolates and other comfort snacks from Baekhyun to passed to her and informed her how he concern over Harin sick roommate. That also the reason when she finally decided to reply his text message. Although the moments has passed, she can remember it clearly.

 

“I can’t believe that time passed so fast. All sudden my semester is about to end. I’m going for internship and then finally graduate!” Dahee said happily while snuggling closer to her boyfriend.

 

“And welcome to the hell life of working peeps, sweetheart” Baekhyun giggles when Dahee glared at him for cutting off her excitement.

 

He then make it up to her by saying, “But joke side, yes, I can believe that you almost done with your degree. I still remember you being grumpy during our faculty event on that Saturday morning”

 

“Wait—Baek!” She gasped. “You noticed me since that day?! I thought you said you can’t remember me at all during the gathering” Dahee quickly sit up on the headboard and facing him.

 

He scratch the back of his neck as if he was busted. “Well, I kind of lied to you. I can explain—” He said when Dahee still being speechless. “I genuinely had no idea who are you at that time, but I remember you”

 

“You don’t exactly look presentable during that day, maybe because of your messy hair and your expression which showing how much you hate being forced into the event but,” He paused and inhale again to gain courage, “You caught my attention right away. Of course, it wasn’t anything romantic at that time, but I keep starring at you few times on the day”

 

Dahee still trying to process everything due to unexpected confession, “So when you came to me and ask why I was starring at you like creepy stalker at the library, so actually have seen my face before?”

 

“Yes, and that was actually the third time I see you closely, Byul Dahee”

 

It was another secret that Baekhyun keep it to himself all the time about Dahee. Truthfully, he does notice her even before she made bold move to Baekhyun at the library on that day. During their faculty event itself, she has caught his eyes when he saw she secretly making her way out of the venue as to skip the gathering. He was not going to blame her, his friend, Hyunsik speech does make everyone bored and wish they could go home right away.

 

Calling her pretty on the first time he saw her was unexpected. There is nothing stand out of her; Dahee just wearing her casual sport attire and she does not even wear any makeup on that day. But she just captivated him in her own way. But then, Baekhyun never thought that her personality is not exactly what he predicted (this fact, he will get it sealed with him forever).

 

On the second time he saw closely was again, in the library. He caught her skipping her class and as Dahee almost caught up with the librarian, he does help her to divert the librarian attention into asking stupid questions about literature books that he never interested with. At that point, there is still no feelings involved, he just found it cute how she can sleep 7 minutes after reading about the theory of ancient history.

 

They snuggles to each other company all night while reminiscing their stories (mostly Baekhyun) when he was still at the uni. Telling her all embarrassing moments of the three idiots Baekhyun, Jongin and Jongdae to not getting caught while skipping soccer training and much more. But when he started bragging about how he still remembers being a heartthrob in uni and getting girls attention, Dahee started to lose interest and being sleepy all sudden.

 

“I have few songs cover that I haven’t show you yet. You want to listen to it?” Baekhyun asked, nudging her slightly to get her attention on him. This would be one of the routines, as Dahee love it so much to hear Baekhyun sing for her. But maybe, Baekhyun need to reconsider it again as the clock already strikes 4AM. Dahee hummed as respond but her eyes is getting heavy while he assist to adjust the earbud over her ears.

 

“This is good as usual” She told him, bopping her head as response.

 

He looked at her, brows knitting together as in confusion because he have not even pressed the play button yet. “Seriously—Dahee—” He muttered to himself in disbelief due to poor reaction. Baekhyun scoffed as she rested her head over his shoulder, snuggling up against his side as sleepiness caught on her.

 

“I knew this will be happened” He breathed, gently remove piece by piece of the earbud to put it back on the case. Baekhyun then pulled her up, wrapping her arm around him as to make her more comfortable, not to forget to peppers sweet kisses all over her face. He pull the comforter enough to cover her from coldness, tucking her in to keep her warm.

 

A smile painted at his lips as he watched her sleeping soundly. He had a rough day, head all over the place from continuous headache to minor fever, argument with her due to his hard time on work, but when he come back to her embrace that never failed to show him how much he was loved, it made him forget his stress. Baekhyun was so glad that she drop by, it does heal him, even if it is for a while.  

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: For those who wonder, no sweetheart this is not the last chapter. I have few more chapters that I want to write for this story. It will be appreciate for you to provide some loves by comment and upvote this. Till then, stay safe everyone.