004

DARLING

Dd

 

Damage done— Initially he just wanted to , to get his revenge back for getting him flustered almost every time they met, it suddenly popped up in his mind so that he can see how if the tables turned; will she be blushing like he was? But this is not exactly what he planned.

 

Baekhyun definitely had no idea that his little plan to make her more pissed than she already is, turned out to be a damage that only make him feel bad. It’s like a boomerang effect, he was the one who getting affected right now. He should be laughing at her; not to be with her at uni infirmary waiting for her to wake up.

 

In any way, it’s always a win for Byul Dahee.

 

According to her bestie, this is not the usual Dahee. She do have asthma but it wasn’t this bad— it shouldn’t be this bad. It could be that she overworked during the week (could be as she working her off to complete their Art project assignment where she should do together with Baekhyun) or could be that Baekhyun act made her really, really surprised.

 

Dahee unexpectedly passed out the moment her bestie come at the scene, too tired to even cope with the whole situation. It was quite chaotic; her bestie Harin screaming at Baekhyun for what just happened and him, with his body froze, trying to catch what he just did.

 

Luckily, there are not so many students there at the moment. But also has became a solid excuse on why, Harin insisted that Baekhyun should be the one to carry Dahee to the uni infirmary. He was about to protest, but she then mentioned, “I love my bestie so much but hello, obviously I can’t lift her up”

 

He sigh on her request, but still obliged. Firstly, he was one of the factor why Dahee passed out. Secondly, he agreed as Harin promised him that she would not tell her bestie that he was the one who carried her all the way. Baekhyun will not give a chance for Dahee to back later for this.

 

“She passed out after she had asthma attack earlier” Baekhyun said to the infirmary assistant with Dahee still on his both arm as he carried her along the way.

 

The assistant seems quite annoyed that someone has just disturbed her nap. Their uni infirmary usually quiet, and there is not many students there. She took the students file and ready to for the registration, “Who is she?”

 

“My— Friend” He hesitating on best terms that he should refer for Dahee. As far as he knew, they are not exactly friend. But he can’t possibly say that she just his partner for his Art class.

 

“Nobody, a guy, come to here with girl in his arms— her arms secured on your neck and she seems like very comfortable with you— that says they bring their friend. Your girlfriend, which year she belongs to?” Baekhyun was so pissed that this assistant was so not professional in her work. She just assume the situation and her services are not great either.

 

He would love to spend another 1 hour to point out that she was not being professional, but he just remembered that he had a girl passed out in his hand that require an urgent assistance. Baekhyun rolled his eyes to the assistant before giving her Dahee details. Luckly, he at least knew her full name and which year is belong to.

 

Not long after that, they finally settled her down with breathing kit assistance and put her in on of the ward for her to rest. Dahee was sleeping as they provide her with medicine, and surprisingly Baekhyun was still there, sit on a chair beside her bed.

 

He was in doubt to leave her alone or to stay. This is one of a rare chances that he can use as an excuse to not attending his class, but that is just minor reason why he should stay. Truthfully he felt guilty and the moment he look into her peaceful face while Dahee taking a rest, he just don’t have a heart to leave her alone.

 

45 minutes has passed but she still sleeping. Baekhyun started to think that if this girl actually enjoying sleeping (and skip classed just like him) or this is just the effect of the medication that they inject through her body earlier.

 

He come closer, trying to look into her closer. She had a pretty eyes, her lashes is so thick and long, she also had a pale faces, probably because she is sick, and his favourite will be her lips. It just so tiny, and perfect. Baekhyun never saw anyone had a nice lips like Dahee. He do now acknowledge the fact that why there are few guys on her batch that have a major crush on her.

 

Baekhyun was so lost in his observation that he didn’t noticed that she was awake. When she opened her eyes, their eyes met immediately and it only makes Baekhyun stuck and speechless. If anything, the eye contact is so embarrassing. Why would he do that. He started to regret to stay all that time.

 

“I— Water” She spoke for the first time and broke the silence of the room. Baekhyun took the sign and grab the water bottle on her bedside.

 

“Thank you” She muttered as he helped her. Dahee didn’t expected that he will be here the moment she open her eyes. The room was so quiet and awkward. Dahee took her phone out and scroll to see that her bestie send her text message mention that Baekhyun will be there to take care of her.

 

Decided to broke the awkwardness, she clear . “I think I need to ask an embarrassing question—“ Dahee serious question made him even more curious. “Are you perhaps— giving me CPR earlier?”

 

His reaction was priceless. He wanted to smack her so bad for her bluntness that his eyes widen. “What— Hell no!” Baekhyun felt the urgency to tell her the truth. “Your friend came at the perfect time and found your inhaler”

 

“Uh— that was bad” She sigh and dropped her shoulders. “We could have our first ever kiss”

 

“Byul Dahee!” He yelled, now tone down his voice back with so much frustration. “Please— there is a time to joke, to be serious”

 

She was surprised, but already expect the outcome. “I’m— I’m sorry, Baekhyun” She knew he was mad, he never call her by her full name. “Thank you, too”

 

“It’s okay” He then look at her, getting a bit softened than earlier. “I just worried okay— I didn’t know that you had asthma. I’m sorry too that I tease you a little bit far”

 

Dahee smiles and Baekhyun swear that she just look, so cute. He shakes his head to deny it. He then prompted to jump on different topic. “Are you feeling better now?”

 

“I had my crush stay beside me, who wouldn’t be okay?” At least this time Baekhyun did laugh on her jokes, she finally felt a bit relieved.

 

“But please—“ All of sudden she become serious. “Don’t pity me Baekhyun, now that you know I have asthma, I hope you wouldn’t treat me differently. It’s a rare case that I will have the attack, just like today. It will make me uncomfortable if you treat me nicely just because you have a sympathy for me. If you have it, please stop now”

 

“But why?” Out of curiosity, Baekhyun had to asked.

 

“I just hate when people treating me differently because of one condition, for example, my asthma. I hate when they think I’m weak” That is the first time that Baekhyun found a different personality of Byul Dahee, the crazy girl.

 

He nodded in agreement, “Okay. I will not treat you differently, but you have to be your usual self too—“ Somehow Dahee was confused with him. “I mean, just be healthy and be a playful Dahee like always”

 

“Wait! Stop!” She suddenly cover with her hand and act surprised.

 

“What— Why?” Baekhyun hope that this is not the second attack of her asthma, he had enough to deal with the first one earlier.

 

In a split second she tugged her hair behind her ear and lean forward to admire his handsomeness. “You are just so nice and so handsome I think my heart is about to explode, Baekhyun”

 

“I— I have to go now” Blushing, he quickly gather all his stuff before leaving the infirmary. Again, only Dahee can make him flustered like this. And again, she win the game.

 

 

“Good morning grumpy cat!” Harin greet her not-so-friendly bestie.

 

“Good morning, Harin” She quickly returns back the morning wish before she realised something. “I’m not a cat—“ She said. “And not grumpy too”

 

“I’m your bestie Dahee, I know you better than anyone else” She said as matter of fact. “You not a cat, but the grumpy part is so Byul Dahee”

 

She pinched her arm for that teasing, “Why are you calling me grumpy?”

 

“You are grumpy 24/7” Harin give another statement. “Minus the time when you see Baekhyun, or talk to Baekhyun, or even talk about Baekhyun” She finished it with her eyes rolled.

 

“Is that obvious?” Dahee ask, “That I like him?”

 

“Of course! That is also the reason why to reject Taeyong love!” Her bestie then give her a packet of croissant. “He ask me to pass it to you”

 

She sigh, sometimes she felt bad for that boy. But she can’t force anything as she only have crush on that one person. But she still not too forget to appreciate him, “Tell him that I said thanks, and you can have this, I don’t eat red beans”

 

Harin was right, she only act different when it all about Byun Baekhyun.

 

Dahee still scrolling into her phone when it finally her turns to order for the coffee. She usually have her regular order for Starbucks (thankfully that all franchise have the same range of drink, she always had issue to order every time she come for different brands of coffee shop) so there is no need for her to take a look on the menu itself.

 

When it is her time to order, without further checking she just muttered to the barista, “Ice caramel macchiato with two pumps of caramel, whipped cream, no cookies blend and in venti size please”

 

“Can I get your name, please?” As the barista replied.

 

“Put is as for Byul—“ She was about to said her full name and when she finally lifted up her head, she immediately smile to the familiar face.

 

“Baekhyun!” She’s getting excited when it was him working at the new branch of that Starbuck.

 

“Ehem” He clear his throat demand her to keep the professionalism.

 

“I don’t know that you are working here!” Dahee said excitedly ignoring the fact that she was disturbing the barista who currently in his shift.

 

Baekhyun glares at her, hint her that she should get through her order and leave him alone. So he asked again, “Can I get your name, please?”

 

“Ah—“ He can write her name without even need to wait for her, eventually. But of course, he is now in his shift and as a barista, not her uni friend. “Oh!” She got an idea. “Put my name as— Cutie!”

 

His eyes widen and his mouth gasped. Really, why she even do this to him. He eyed her and she was giggling. Dahee surely knew that the barista who took the order, need to complete the order and announce it by themselves. Baekhyun can guess that she purposely want him to call her that name.

 

“Iced caramel macchiato for Cutie!” He loudly called the names and Dahee immediately laughed at that. Although this is cringeworthy, but it is a good entertainment for herself.

 

If only anyone can see his face, Baekhyun was so red that he think there will be steam coming out from his ears. She only stopped it when it marked one week since she came to the coffee shop and Baekhyun as her barista.

 

On the second day— she want to test if it is still Baekhyun and she was lucky that he was assigned to be served on that counter for the whole week. It always be the same drink, but with different set of name that she wanted to hear it from his sweet voices.

 

“Ice caramel macchiato for The adorable one!”

 

On the third day— he found out that she will not change her drink, so he had the whole prescription; Ice caramel macchiato with two pumps of caramel, whipped cream, no cookies blend and in venti size mentioned to her even before she started to say any words.

 

“Ice caramel macchiato for The prettiest girl in the cafe!”

 

On the fourth day— Dahee came with a face mask on, she wasn’t feeling well today and her sore throat make everything more worst. Baekhyun being suspicious and a bit relived when she told him in hand sign that she is sick and have no voice. Maybe she would stop it today. But that will not stop her anyway when she slipped the note to him.

 

“Hot caramel macchiato for Sweetheart, get well soon!”

 

On the fifth day— Baekhyun didn’t bother to ask her the usual script that he will use towards other customers. Instead, he was ready with venti cup, a sharpie on his hand and with his yes-what-can-I-help-you face. He was ready for Dahee flirting as the previous past days, but when she quickly jog to the counter, she just said, “In in hurry for my presentation, so please as usual”

 

“Why don’t you just go to the cafe at the uni itself if you are in hurry?” Baekhyun suggested, or more into hint her to move into different cafe to get her morning shots.

 

“I know I keep coming to this coffee shop and for some reason it’s always your shift Baekhyun but don’t you dare judge me I need these for my sanity”

 

She furrowed her eyebrows and add further, “Duh! I want to see you, what else?” Dahee rolls her eyes. “Ah faster make my order and my name is—“

 

“Ice caramel macchiato for—“ Earlier, Dahee did mentioned to him that she wouldn’t come to this cafe after this, as she already think that 5 days enough to torture him. So he did let her write her name of the cup. He choked on his own words when he realised what she wrote, “Ice caramel macchiato for Baekhyun future girlfriend”

 

 

Jongdae and Jongin better run off from their best friend who apparently seems so upset and mad at them. As they are now in their senior year of uni, all of them need to pick one of the charity home to be a volunteer for 3 weeks period. Three of them had planned to go all together to the same charity home near the school, but as the one that they choose almost full, they will only accept two more students.

 

Guess what? Baekhyun was the left out one. Technically, they were not the one who purposely left him alone; but then they were given choices to join Baekhyun on the different charity home, those two dorks refused as they were saying that the chosen one is far from their home instead of the initial charity home that they had in mind.

 

Long story short— on the weekend, Baekhyun end up take a subway to the designated charity house. It was called as Fancy home; a small orphanage located 35 minutes away from their uni. During his first observation when he reached there, the house seems like okay; he didn’t expect more anyway.

 

It is two-storey house and as what he had been informed, it only have 15 kids occupying the orphanage. Nothing seems bad at first glance, but since this is not his first choice, Baekhyun did not feel excited or even anticipated to be there. His expression was dull— he wish that this will be ended quickly.

 

“Baekhyun?” Suddenly there is a voice greet him from behind. A familiar one too. “It’s you! What are you doing here?”

 

Now that he had seen her ultimate fan girl in the same charity house with him, it only added to his why-I-don’t-like-this-place list. It wasn’t surprise anymore when he directly said, “Are you following me here?”

 

Puzzled, she ask for clarification. “Sorry?” She then quickly denied him. “No I’m not following you here”

 

“Can you stop—“ He paused before he run his hand through his messy hair, feeling frustrated. “Stop being so desperate will you?”

 

“Pardon?!” Dahee ask, surprised with the choices of his word. “You need to take back your words Baekhyun!”

 

He smirk. “Just stop lying Dahee. You stalked me and purposely enrol to this charity place! Just to get close with me?!” He accused. “Don’t be such a girl, you are not a kid anymore!”

 

“Again, I did not followed you here!” Dahee was about to let her tears down. His accusing her directly without even asking her further. “I told you I already volunteered here even before you come!”

 

“Stop lying—“ He was about to continue but got interrupted when the manager of the charity home come to foyer.

 

“What happened here?” Mr Min, the manager asked. He eyes them both suspiciously before he shrugged it off. “Are you guys okay?”

 

“Anyway, Dahee, girl you are quite early today. Go inside. Mrs Jeon already waiting for you as always” As he ushered her to go inside. “You must be Byun Baekhyun right? The new volunteer”

 

She just nodded before grabbing back her backpack that were on the floor previously, storming off away from them. Baekhyun eyes widen and his lips trembling as he can see that Dahee face changed and there was a hint of tears on her eyes. What he just did.

 

“Mr Byun?” Manager Min need to call him again as Baekhyun seems lost in his words.

 

“Ye— yeah I am”

 

Byul Dahee always a playful girl, a bit loud but mostly very bubbly. But for the first time, when they were placed on the same place, she was being so quiet and distance with him. Well, she do have excuse for this and Baekhyun understand it well. She must be upset with him.

 

As the only volunteers at Fancy Home, they were assigned to many task together. They were doing their work together but he felt like they were at separate world; both of them are taking their own path. He wanted to say something to her, but Dahee was so good at avoid him.

 

During his first day there, he learned that indeed, Dahee already been a volunteer even before he registered. She is a regular for this past 5 months and he can see it by the way she get along with the kids. Dahee help to prepare the food for them, read them books, and even serenade them with her beautiful voice and amazing talents. She was so good that it almost melt him.

 

“Hey” Baekhyun came from behind and take a seat on empty chair beside her.

 

Her eyes widen, and turned back on the ground when he greet her. Dahee had no idea what she supposed to react. She might look tough, bold, and a playful one. But it doesn’t meant that she will not hurt and affected with what he has spit out earlier.

 

She had her fingers clasped together, suppressing her nervousness. Nevertheless, she politely replied, “Oh, hey”

 

“You did a great job earlier” Baekhyun mentioned it. When she looked confused, he then explain further. “The performance. You have a good voice and you played the piano very well”

 

“Thanks” Dahee replies was quick, and short too.

 

He sigh, unable to hold it any longer. “Dahee, I’m so sorry. I really am” Baekhyun confessed it sincerely. “I was rude to you. I didn’t even ask you but to just assumed. I was stressed when I had no other option for the volunteer work, so when they assign me to this, I was upset. It was just excuse and I should’ve not treat you like that”

 

“It’s okay Baekhyun” She said. “You have a point tho”

 

“What?— No, I mean why?” Dahee sound so hurt and Baekhyun felt even guilty.

 

She titled her head slightly so that she can face him. “That— I was desperate? Yeah— I think that is somehow true”

 

He quickly shakes his head to tell her that isn’t true. “No Dahee, listen, I didn’t meant any of words okay? I kind of let my frustrations on you” Baekhyun wanted her know that she wasn’t anything like his harsh comments earlier. “You know me, I kind of blurted out anything out of my consent when I’m mad”

 

“It still hurt Baekhyun” She finally let out the truth. “You can tell me if I overdo it, the whole stupid crush thing, I will stop looking for you—“

 

“Hey hey” He grab his arm and made her look him straight into his eyes. “You’re not doing anything wrong. It is your feeling and no one can stop you from what you feel, okay? But Dahee, genuinely I really felt bad. I’m so sorry okay?”

 

“You are forgiven, Baekhyun” He finally smiles when she smiles. Baekhyun knew that she didn’t feel sad anymore especially when she’s back to her playful side again, “So is that means that I still can have a crush on you?”

 

“I don’t know if this is a good thing—“ He glares at her but at the same time nodded. “But yes, you can”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Idk how this OC get all brave to act like this towards her crush LOL