014

DARLING

Nn

 

Nothing stopping her anymore to fully enjoys her college-teenage life. Well, being a student with bright future ahead (thanks to her good GPA and outstanding achievement) and bonus of having her ideal man, Byun Baekhyun being her pillar of strength and supportive boyfriend; Dahee could not ask any more than that. Life is good and she is thankful for all the blessed that she has been receiving up until now.

 

College years never has been interesting as before. It took her months to live up her uni phases and she swear that if not because of her boyfriend, she might not be this happy being in the uni. As she used to hate going to classes that much, irony how now she never skipped any class and barely survived without her main motivation moving around the campus. Harin will be cringe if she ever heard this statement again coming from her best friend.

 

Their relationship is going strong despite the differences growing up on both. With Baekhyun who secured position as junior software developer on well known international IT company as soon as he graduated and Dahee who still counting her fingers on how many years until she finally free from uni life, they somehow managed to work it among them.

 

Baekhyun working at the center of Seoul city and rent out with Jongin and Jongdae in small studio apartment, while Dahee still enjoying her time with Harin as her roommates at the uni dorms. As her boyfriend are sharing the small studio apartment among them, it will be understandable for Dahee to not being selfish and crash into their place so often. Rather than that, they mostly sneak some time from their busy life to text, on call and facetime each other.

 

Weekend date is a must if both are free. At the beginning of their date when Baekhyun still not busy with his work, he will drop by uni to have lunch together with Dahee but considering that it will not that easy to commit time work while juggling time to spend with her girlfriend, they have come to discussion that they will try to meet each other as often as they can, but each one of them must put other priority first.

 

Dahee thought that her clingy side can manage the distant, but when there is someone trigger her with the differences again, it made her thinks again. Everything is okay and acceptable as she just need to wait to meet her lover on weekend and peppered him with kisses and hugs but of course, one of her course mate need to be an by triggering her with unnecessary thoughts.  

 

Baekhyun and Dahee was a hit back then when he was still a student. Almost everyone in the faculty know about their story and some of them are just too noisy about their relationship a little bit too much. She met with her course mate on her Database class last Monday, and her moods suddenly down when she started to ask, “Oh, don’t you afraid if he might look for other girl? I heard that there are many hot women working at his company. Who knows Baekhyun might change his preferences from uni girl to career woman?” 

 

And just like that, like a awaken button for Dahee, she started to search on internet for related article and bring out the insecurities in herself. Her course mate is talking rubbish but a part of her cannot seems to let it go. She does believe in Baekhyun with all her heart, but Dahee is just a uni girl who are emotionally unstable and paranoid if someone better may catch her boyfriend attention.

 

“Dahee darling?” Her thoughts broken when Baekhyun called her name. It is Friday night and they have dinner planned together. She smiles at him while stand up from the bus stop and approaching him to give him a tight hug. “Were you daydreaming earlier? I have called you multiple times” Baekhyun whined.

 

She shakes her head. “Just thinking about my endless assignment. I missed you baby” She said while leaning her head into his shoulder. It has been their routine for Baekhyun to pick her up from the entrance of her uni before going out for their date.

 

“Someone is missing me but went missing?” He teased. “Were you that busy past days, Dahee? You have not text or call me during the working days” Baekhyun asked, as he swaying their intertwined hand together while strolling the road.

 

“Yeah. There is a lot of assignments that I must do. I have to-- ” Her respond was interrupted as Dahee think it is not necessary to bother him with unnecessary information. It was short but at the same time trying to not sound rude to her boyfriend. She can’t simply say that she was doing it on purpose; that is not what matured girlfriend sound like.

 

Since that day that she met with her course mate, Dahee cannot hold herself but searching on advises to overcome the gap of working boyfriend and college student girlfriend online. She is totally not ready if one day Baekhyun come and ask her for break up—so Dahee thought she might do something that prevent that from happened.

 

That includes reading the whole 2 pages article of ‘how to act in front of your working boyfriend so that he will not get bored with you’ that she found on Tumblr. It does sound petty and desperate, but Dahee is not ready loose her hot boyfriend to another woman. One of the main points out of many other suggestions on that article is trying to be more matured toward her partner.

 

Of course, she needs to be one, especially when the article highlighted that, ‘80% of the working men preferred career woman who eventually more matured than teenage college girls.

 

Dahee return back her attention to Baekhyun, “Never mind. I managed to complete it anyway. How is your work, Baek?”

 

Baekhyun sighs when he recalled the whole week again in his mind. “Tiring. My body is sore, and I swear that my head is about to explode right now”

 

“I see—” Dahee paused for a while. “In that case I think maybe we should just cancel the dinner. You will need a lot of rest baby” She was being absolute liar when she said that. Her mind is screaming for her to pout and throw tantrum as her boyfriend does not seems excited for the date, but she must behave and understand his situation. Dahee choose to stay calm.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows to her nonsense suggestion. “You don’t have to do that Dahee. We had this planned. I saw the post of this famous fancy café which I’m sure you will like. I promise you that I will take a rest after I go back. As for now, let just enjoy the date okay?”

 

Baekhyun is such a sweetheart. Even when he is worn out by the workload of the week, or even when he sleepy, he would rather take a train to her uni campus and meet her. As he just started his career, Baekhyun commute from one place to one place by using public transport while saving up his salary for future. For him seeing his girlfriend happy face is such a vitamin booster that can boost up his energy back. Or maybe, he just too whipped for the girl.

 

They arrived at the Myeondong area after strolling for sometimes. Dahee eyes lit up immediately when she spotted the signboard of the café that she wanted to try. They served lot of delicious cakes even though it is a bit pricey. The lovebirds, even when they don’t have much time to shuttle unnecessary text to each other because of their schedule, Dahee and Baekhyun will always shares what they interested as their daily topic. But Baekhyun-- he always a winner when it comes to remember everything about his girlfriend.

 

He pulls her into the main entrance of the café immediately upon seeing her excited expression.  “Would you like to try their dessert? I heard that they have new menu offered. I’m sure you will like it. It is your favorite” Baekhyun suggested while still looking at the menu.

 

She could see how her boyfriend scanned the price section on the menu. It will be selfish for Dahee to go inside and pretend like she did not see how he calculated the price that he will need to pay later. Baekhyun is a man with pride and she was so sure that he will reject her to pay for them again, just like other time on their dates. Since he refuses Dahee to pay or even shared, she thinks it is better to come out with a different plan.

 

“Baekhyun—” She called him and dragged the boy to the sideway of the café. “All of sudden I don’t feel like eating dessert. Can we go for street food instead? I think I want to eat Topokki” Dahee trying to convince her with a pout on her face.

 

He did not buy her excuses, but when she keeps tugging his hand to eventually agreed on her sudden change of plan, Baekhyun think that maybe she was not lying. Girl and their appetite are no joke. “Are you sure, Dahee?” She nodded. “Okay then, we will come here next time.”

 

Along the walk to the Topokki stall, she noticed how Baekhyun keep staring at her, probably thinking something is weird with his girlfriend. Dahee then shakes the thought off by pulling her boyfriend to enter to the food stall. It could be that Baekhyun had known her for quite sometimes, he seems can get through from his suspicious thought.

 

To divert his attention, she prompts for new conversation. “How is your new office Baekhyun? Your boss? Are you comfortable working there?” Dahee asked while struggling with her chopstick picking up the Toppokki on the bowl.

 

“Here baby let me help you. Open your mouth” Baekhyun took his chopstick and grab one to feed his girlfriend. He was babying Dahee and this is not how it should be. It felt heaven to have a romantic and caring boyfriend like him, but it ruined her plan to be that matured girlfriend as in the article. 

 

Nevertheless, she took it with so much gratitude. “Oh, my office— Everything was great. My colleagues are nice. They are very supportive in terms of works and it amazed me. My team consist with girls mostly and wow, they are just so great with their work!”

 

“Is it that you are used working with girls on your team during your studies?” She did not sound jealous but more into wonder what he meant by that.

 

Baekhyun put down his chopstick and pull out his mobile phone to show her their group photo that her team lead took during their working days. “Look at this Dahee, all of them are so focus. I mean I don’t think back in college the girls are this passionate about their work. Remember when you spent your times flirting with me instead of focusing on the class?” Baekhyun teased which only made her more annoyed.

 

“They are pretty, and I like how they dressed to work. It looks so—” Dahee paused trying to think the word. “Sophisticated?” Baekhyun helped to finish her word. It is not exactly what she wanted to say but she just playing along to sound interested in his story. 

“But I’m sure that my girlfriend will look even prettier than them when it is your time later” Luckily, he knows how to win her back. Keep calm Dahee, one day you will be able to dress like that and impressed him too, she said to herself. “Anyway, since I’m not free this week, what you have plan for next weekend?”

 

“I want to go to my favorite kpop concert, Baekhyun. Can you go with me? Harin was not available at that time” She explained.

 

“Kpop concert? How old are you Dahee? Five? Ten? You still fanboying over them?” Baekhyun laugh. “Let’s do something more interesting shall we”

 

Unknowingly she pouted and keep her head into different side. Not to look too much bratty, she just agreed with him. “Y—yeah sure”


 

Scrolling into her Instagram story feeds, she spotted one of her acquittance posted a story how she caught her boyfriend with another girl while being in LDR. In her case, Dahee would be consider lucky that her beloved boyfriend was not that interesting in social media, hence, no posting about him and his female co-workers hanging out together on his Instagram. Baekhyun does have an account on Instagram, but he was not that active compare to Dahee that would update almost everything about her life on the social media platform.

 

It will eventually make Dahee relieved that she no need to see how good Baekhyun socialize with his co-workers in any social event, but she had to admit that it does make her doubt if he does it behind her back. She quickly shakes her head to dismiss the thought. She needs to believe in her boyfriend and Dahee have to stick to her words that she does trust him with what he does. That is what they agreed the moment Baekhyun informed her that he got the job at his current company.

 

Being insecure in a relationship is not healthy and Dahee surely know that Baekhyun will give her a long lecture if he found out what she felt right now. It was stupid, she thought. But at the same time, she cannot get rid the thoughts of someone might have take an interest of her boyfriend and what if Baekhyun fall for it. After all, her boyfriend is one hot guy and attractive enough for the girls to drools. He is nice towards other people too; which added the point why she felt insecure. Dahee is a girl and she know well how girls appreciate a nice man like him.

 

Instead of being a pathetic girl she is, Dahee decided to make some moves. She’s not going to whine around complaining things, but she wanted to change for better. She sounds so determined that her roommates just laugh at her silly idea. Especially when she started going to bookstore looking for some motivational book that her roommates so sure that she will leave it hanging after few days. For Dahee who obviously have no interest on such books, she did it well by completing the first few pages in hours of her free time.  

 

She learned how to boost up her confident and being a lady with so much passion in what we do in our lives while maintain a good relationship with our life partner. As much ladylike how it sounds, Dahee found that she was nowhere near to be in the criteria mentioned by the author. She was more into spontaneous, outgoing person and her clinginess towards Baekhyun does not match with one of the lists on how to be a mature girlfriend as in the book.

 

Her roommates, Harin was so sure that she will be changed into 30s lady in few days if she kept reading the book on her hand continuously. It was not her intention to not support her with a good change, but she just wanted Dahee to solve it on her own way, not too depending on the guide which not suit her at all.

 

“You are still reading that, huh?” Her roommate slash bestie asked Dahee as she has been seeing her with the book past days.

 

“This is not ‘huh’, Harin. This is motivational book on how to be a mature girlfriend which I currently working to be one” Dahee said proudly.

 

Harin sigh. “So, you think that by reading the book as manual, it will help you to be a mature girlfriend? Dahee sweetheart—” She paused, “Relationship will not be working by reading manual. You must work the solution based on the situation. I’m sure that Baekhyun accepted you the way you are, why you need to change?”

 

“Because—” Dahee stopped as she was making some excuses in my head.

 

Harin took a seat beside her when a frown starting to paint on Dahee pretty face. “You know I am not in a position to give you 101 useful tips on dating, well considering that I am a single person. But, being insecure on your relationship is not healthy”

 

“I know. I must admit that I do feel insecure thinking that my boyfriend will leave me for someone better. I am just a college student, Harin. While Baekhyun, he is out there working with all the gorgeous, successful working woman around him” Dahee let out her concern.

 

“But does he? Did Baekhyun tell you that he is into woman like that? Instead of pretty, bubbly and smart dean awarded girl like you?” There is a change in her tone, as if Harin trying to scold her like a little kid. Dahee shakes her head immediately to deny.

 

Harin words like slapping her back reality. All of sudden all her insecurities and doubts fall off. But instead she felt bad towards her boyfriend. Byun Baekhyun; he never once doubted his choice by making her as his girlfriend. All he does was continuously support him and genuinely praising her for her beauty, for her brain and as her strength of pillar. It was so unfair for her to feel like this while he never failed to shower her with his loves and affections.

 

The thoughts itself made Dahee overwhelmed on how lucky she is to have someone like Baekhyun in her life. She remembered how he sacrifice his time for her. There was once he immediately went to her uni when she called him telling him that she was sick. Baekhyun rushed there after work even he was tired from too much of work on that day. But he came just for her. There is no way that he will prioritize anything other than her.

 

He might be a playful one when he was still in uni but when he started being a working man, Baekhyun seems more mature and the way he managed his work life and personal life is something that Dahee always amazed. Surely, he does have his work stress and all, but he still take time to see her and listen to her rant even when she does that not in a perfect timing. How can she not fall in love more with her own boyfriend.

 

“Harin, I felt so bad—” Dahee said as her eyes is glistening with tears.

 

Harin managed to send her death glared with expression like I-told-you on her face, “See? So why you have change yourself? It will even better if you can come clean to Baekhyun and address your insecurity. I’m sure he is the best person to help you”

 

“SIS!” Dahee screaming across the room suddenly scared Harin on the other side. “I love you for always giving me all useful advices!” She hugged her roommate tightly before teasing her, “Even when yourself don’t have boyfriend yet”

 

“Don’t you ever heard the theory of a coach can train the team without even playing the game? And Dahee, the keyword is yet. Yet to have boyfriend okay?” And laughter filled out their room on that evening.

 

There are two persons that keep her going to finishing her uni; Baekhyun and Harin. She could not be more grateful to have both boyfriend and best friend that really love her. It is a plus bonus that they are good to each other too; that would solve a conflict every time she needs to split herself into two in order to spend time with her boyfriend or her best friend.

 

Harin. She had spent her entire uni life with Harin and there is no way that she is not getting attached with her favorite, bestest girl friend that she already considered as her sister. Harin is much more rational and able to act like the older one when they are together. Dahee was so glad that because of the outgoing personality and being the first one to approach her during their orientation day back when they enrolled to the uni, they are now inseparable and being each other support.

 

She was there for Dahee through thick and thin and even before she met Baekhyun. Dahee still remembered when Harin was there with her during the phases she trying to get his attention, to the time where she got heartbroken also because of him and genuinely happy for them when they finally get together back. Dahee might have Baekhyun to love with all her heart, but Harin always have a special spot on her life. They even made a promise for her to be her bridesmaid if they going to marry each other in future.

 

While Baekhyun, obviously become her main inspiration for her to grad (which she can’t wait). He had told her that he would love to come to her graduation day to witness his love one able to complete her studies while being stunning in her best dress that she will wear on that day. The day is not yet coming any sooner, but he already knows that his girlfriend will look gorgeous.

 

But what he said next made Dahee heart exploded— that he would love for them to take their relationship to next level. But she must complete her studies first. After all, he knows that his baby girl would grad with a flying colors and success in her life. While Baekhyun, he thinks that Dahee will do well even without him, he always proud of her smart girlfriend. But if anything, he would glad to be the one who can provide a full support for Dahee to be successful.


 

Not able to suppress her own feelings and debated over few hours whether she need to call out Baekhyun or not after a long heart to heart session with her roommates, Dahee finally decided that she will need to talk to him before she wrap up her day. First and foremost, she just felt guilty with her being distant unintentionally with him while he does absolutely nothing. And secondly, she just missed him today.

 

It is weekdays and there is no way that she can call out Baekhyun during working hours. Even though he never said no for her call in any time but Dahee have self-conscious to not disturb him with his work. It would be unprofessional to for Baekhyun to pickup her call in office. At the end, she decided to send him a text message for him to check out later

 

From: Byul Dahee

Hi Baekhyun. You probably busy and not looking at this message at this moment but I just want to say that I missed you. Call me when you free?

 

“Cute” A smile plastered on his face when he got the message from his girlfriend. He mentally taking note to give call after he finished his work later. It only 1 hour later that he was done with the task of the day and managed to get her online before calling it a day.

 

“Hello, darling. Are you sleeping?” He spoke first after she picked up the phone call.

 

“Just finished my assignment Baek. I kind of waiting for your call actually” She have to admit that she does feel extremely missing her boyfriend tonight. “Have you finish your work? Don’t you feel tired?”

 

He chuckled on the other line. “On my way back from office now Dahee. Do you have time? Can we meet for a quick night walk before my baby go back to sleep?”

 

Dahee already dressed comfortably in her pajamas but that does not stop her from saying yes for a quick walk with her boyfriend. It was only last week that they saw each other yet she missed him terribly. It probably because of everything that she had gone through for the whole weeks and her never ending uni assignments added to her stress. She just needs to see his face and that would be enough as her stress reliever.

 

She loves walking hand by hand strolling around the park at night (even it is their weekly routine) with Baekhyun. It can be a walk by the scenery of Han River or just a short distance trail at the mini park near their uni. Dahee loves how it is getting chilly as the night pass further and how Baekhyun warm hand clasped to her enjoying each other company. A simple date like this is what she cherishes most.

 

With his hoodie that she had kept for weeks in her closest and a pair of jeans she is walking side by side with Baekhyun who still in his office attire to the nearest bench located near the lake. Baekhyun had bought her favorite snacks for her to eat and had a cup of ramyun on his other hand as his dinner. He went to meet her directly without having a proper meal which made Dahee feel worse.

 

“Are you sure you no need to eat something proper Baekhyun?” She asked again to confirm after a while the sit on the bench.

 

He hummed while slurping the last instant noodle he had. “Positive baby. I kind of craving for ramyun recently”

 

“Baek, can I ask you something?” She prompts her boyfriend for a serious conversation and luckily Baekhyun is okay with that.

 

Nervously, she clears . “Well, I need to know what kind of girlfriend do you like? Is that a matured girlfriend that are very dependable and not asking for unnecessary attention from you or a clingy type of girlfriend? Which one you prefer?”

 

Her sudden question caught him off guard. Baekhyun then looking at his girlfriend with unreadable expression. “Why would you ask that Dahee?”

 

“A question should not be answered with a question baby! Please Baekhyun—” She pleads. “I need your honest answer”

 

Baekhyun seems to get the signal and understand where this conversation will lead to. He then takes her hand and caress it. He sighs, but his eyes never leave her. Even in a dim light of the night he can see how her sincere she is when she asked him that question. He saw how scared she is with his upcoming answer and he also sees hope that he would give her the answer that she wants.

 

“Dahee, I thought the answer to your question is too obvious?” Dahee hate how he know how to twist her words into his own interpretation. “I don’t need either one baby. I just want a girlfriend like you. Why would I choose either one when all I need is someone like you? And with that, what I meant is I like you as the way you are”

 

He then added, “You are cheerful, lovely, a little bit bratty sometimes—” That received a nudge on his ribs. “-- and strong girlfriend that I always dreamed of. You don’t have to doubt yourself baby. Remember when you being considered of not going to fancy café you always love when you know I was short of money at that time? Or when you hug me like koala and whisper nothing but encourage words because I was down at that time? That was more than enough, and I really appreciate that”

 

Baekhyun squeeze her hand assuredly, “You had no idea how lucky I am to have you by my side. You may think that I did not notice that but sweetheart, I know you more than anyone else. Wait, is this why you been acting different around me lately?”

 

Dahee head lowered and her eyes now on the ground when she nodded to his question. “Yes, and I have something to admit to you. We have promised to each other to not keep secret between us, right? So, I do have something to confess” Her eyes are now b with tears. “I was being stupid for feeling insecure after you start working. I was thinking to myself that maybe, maybe I was not good enough but just a childish college girl to cling to his working boyfriend”

 

“Your feelings never be a stupid thing, Dahee. I understand your point. But I need you to come clear with me. What made you feel that? Did I perhaps miss out anything? Did you feel neglected because I was working?” Baekhyun genuinely asked, trying to work out the solution. He was afraid that this was coming from his side that his girlfriend feeling like that.

 

“No!” She whined and immediately rejected his idea. “You did not do anything Baekhyun. You are perfect. It just, I was overthinking after seeing the article posted online. I should have not done it at the first place. It just gives me headache after all. Sorry baby” She leaned in and kiss his cheek. “Don’t be mad at me, I love you Baekhyun”

 

He smiles affectionately and kiss the crown of her head. “I love you too and I’m not mad at you. So now you promise that you will be yourself only from now on?”

 

“But I’m an emotional person and clingy girlfriend. That means you will have to get used to my tears whenever we are watching a movie and need to give me hugs whenever I see your face” Her question is more like a trap to Baekhyun.

 

“Yes, I still want this version of you” He nodded and when Dahee see there is no lies in his eyes, she hummed as acknowledgement.

 

“Okay then, I promise to you” Dahee said cutely. Baekhyun then offer to treat her some ice cream before he goes back. He was suggesting for mint-choco ice cream which she hate the most, only to get a playful smack on his arm.

 

“Auch Dahee! God, I know you are such a gangster! I should have not agreed with you being yourself!” He teased. “Don’t be so mean girl, or else I will cancel our plan to see your favorite kpop boy band concert. Well, I already have the tickets with me”

 

Her eyes widen when she sees he have two NCT concert tickets on his hand. She was so delighted and starting to jump around but stopped when she remembered his words the other day. “I thought you said that this is not cool, Baekhyun” She rolled her eyes.

 

“I was teasing you baby, this is surprise. I’m here to cheer you up with the tickets tonight. It may be not cool for me, but I would do anything for you” Baekhyun then puckered his lips asking for kisses as reward. 

 

“Uh-oh” Dahee playing dirty back to him by refusing the kiss, “This is not cool enough, Baekhyun”

 

 

 

 

A/N: Longest chapter I ever wrote for the long overdue update. Sooo much love for those who stayed ❤️