020

DARLING

Ss

 

Sometimes we thought we know what we want, what we need, and what will do with our lives. All have been perfectly planning in our imagination for a long-term plan. But sometimes, it just not going as what we wish for. It could be any factor, like we don’t have the chances, or family and friends influence, or your mind can play a trick on you by twisting everything to make you doubt yourself to carry out your initial plan.

 

Baekhyun was not excluded when it comes to a cliché timeline dream that everyone plans for. It was supposed to be simple; for him to get promoted on his position for career stabilization, his girlfriend to be graduated and start working (he had no issue as well if she decided to be a housewife) and get married in 1-2 years. But as he goes further with his plan execution, it made him realized that it was a plan for two persons, but he only considers himself along the journey.

 

When he went back to Jeju with Dahee and found out that his genius girlfriend rejected the offer to further her master scholarship overseas because of him, Baekhyun just could not stop thinking about it. She does convince her that he was not the main reason she declined the offer as Dahee mentioned that she prefers to work at big company and master skills while being working in industry, but part of Baekhyun still could not accept the excuses.

 

He felt like he was being a stopper for her dream and because of the guilty eating him alive every single day. Coincidently, there is new position opening at his company where it will be 2 years project at UK, to be the team lead of the new software that will be launch for their overseas client and among the experience workers at his company, Baekhyun name was one of the candidate that have the most support from other employees.

 

If he got the position, it will be win-win solution for them. He will be in UK with his work and Dahee will be able to further her master study without need to worry about the long distance relationship that they will face. It will be perfect opportunity and before he secures the position, he has been working his off and been keeping this as secret from Dahee. If it is happening, this will be the greatest surprised for her. But of course, lady luck has to switch his fate by giving the position to one of his shareholder son who obviously got it because of his family influence.

 

“Bro, you good?” Hyun Jin, one of Baekhyun co-worker team tapped on his shoulder when he was spacing out at the pantry.

 

He smiles and nodded to the question. “I’m good, just thinking a lot of things. My mind is in mess lately and the workload does not help at all”

 

“I heard about the job promotion issue. I feel bad for you, but you know how office politics is. I cannot say much even though I know how capable you are for the position” Baekhyun glad that at least he was not the only one who think that he was right all along. But again, he just an employee who have nothing can against the upper management.

 

“Well, I guess it just not my luck yet. There is always better opportunity out there” Baekhyun sipped his coffee trying to be all positive again when in fact, this is one of the worst days he ever had.

 

Hyun Jin take a seat and made himself a coffee too to join him. “You have other issue, aren’t you? Is that about your girlfriend? Want to talk about it?”

 

It was not a big conflict that he has but it keeps bugging him every day. Just when he thought getting the overseas promotion will solve his worries, the opportunity snatched from his sight just like that. Baekhyun just lost the chances to make pay back her sacrifice worth it and again, the unnecessary guilty come back haunting him.

 

Baekhyun had so much love for the girl that he just wants to make her happy and provide the best for her. From the last conversation he had with Mr Byul few weeks ago, about how he opened up about the possibility from them to sped up their relationship, to adapt it with their current situation, it all tangled up and give him headache.

 

It is not helping when some of his same age friends is getting married and start their own family, making Baekhyun thinking if he should do the same too. But his problem was the gap between him and his girlfriend. He may have stable and earns enough to start a family, but Dahee is still not completing her study and if he is being selfish, seems like he was robbing her future once again.

 

He wish he was back being 15 years old boy who would not think anything but just in a stupid high-school romance; that they just need to be together and worry about their first kiss or how to go date without getting caught with his parents instead of thinking a bigger plan—to get married and starting new phases of life together. The thought itself is already hard.

 

Even from starting of the meeting he did not give his full attention with the meeting contents but rather overthinking about his thoughts. He should have drawn a line between personal life and work, he aware of it, but as a normal human he just cannot escape from it. Baekhyun day already when he received the rejection news. His phone was ringing loudly during the ongoing meeting, broke the slumber of his day daydreaming when he received the call from the last person he wants to see at this moment; his girlfriend.

 

“Hey darling!” She starts the conversation with so much excitement to inform her lover about her arrival. “Guess who is here”

 

“Hey, sorry Dahee I was in a meeting earlier” Baekhyun on the other line seems so confused and not really paying attention on her statement. “And what do you mean by that? Who is coming? And where?”

 

“Baekhyun! You forget about this, aren’t you?” She asked, sound a bit upset. “I’m coming back to Seoul for my training, don’t you remember?”

 

He palms his face and quickly check the date on his laptop screen. “Oh! That is this week? I thought it is in next two weeks”

 

“Babe I’m already arrived! Are you going to pick me up and bring me to your apartment?” Dahee muttered hesitantly on the line.

 

“Now?” Baekhyun responded, not realized that he let out sighs unintentionally towards her request. “Can you take Uber or airport train? I’m at the office right now”

 

She understood his point that her request might be ridiculous considering that it was still office hours but Baekhyun used to said that he can make time for her. Dahee then finding excuses to be used, “I—I can. But you have promised, and I just want to see you Baekhyun. But it’s fine if you are busy, I will take other alternatives—”

 

“Give me few minutes to wrap up. I will call you baby once I arrived” Baekhyun quickly dismissed her idea and hung up the call leaving Dahee in all joy.

 

For every other student, they love semester break the most, but for Dahee, it was the tortures moment as she need to be apart from her boyfriend. If she was staying in Seoul, maybe that would not be a problem as they can see each other anytime they preferred, but she was staying across the ocean, hundreds of kilometers away to see his handsome boyfriend.

 

That is one of the main factors she considered when rejecting her master scholarship offer. There is no way that she can handle not able to see her boyfriend for months and being in a different country will just make everything harder. Dahee cannot explain how, but she swears that she never loves and attached with anyone more than she felt when being with Baekhyun. It is crazy how she has so much affection for him.

 

“Baekhyun baby!” Dahee entered his car after loading up her luggage and quickly giving Baekhyun a hug and peck on his check. It just makes her so happy able to see him again after few weeks. Countless Facetime sessions, texts and calls were never be the same compare to when she can hug him in real life. “Gosh, I missed my boyfriend so bad!”

 

“Hello, baby” He smiles and released her hand from his neck to grab back the steering wheel. “Sit properly and buckle up, I will send you to my apartment”

 

She wants to complain about his lack of enthusiasm upon seeing her girlfriend back in few weeks, but she just shrugged it off thinking that he may just tired from his work. “Actually, I was thinking if we can go out for quick meal before going home?”

 

“I’m in hurry Dahee, I will send you and you can order from food delivery for yourself. Plus, why you did not grab anything at the airport while waiting for me?” Baekhyun asked, his eyes focusing on the road not sparing any glance to her.

 

She pouted, “I thought that going for late lunch together is better idea, but I had no idea that my boyfriend is too busy” Dahee was trying hard to not sound like she was pissed off but it just popped out due to her frustration.

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes for her sarcasm. “Come on, Dahee. You know that it just 3pm and I’m still working at the office and you still want to mention about the obvious fact”

 

“Whatever, Baekhyun. I’m not hungry anymore” Dahee blow off raspberry feeling annoyed at her own boyfriend.

 

“Stop doing that expression and stop rolling your eyes at me” He said sternly, not in a mood for a joke. “I’m driving you despite of my busy schedule is good enough, baby. I have to be back at the office as soon as I can. I have so much important thing to do”

 

Looking out of the windows, Dahee trying so bad to coat up that she was being upset. Considering how he is in a y mood, she knows that she just have to follow it. Bitterly, she said, “Yeah, of course. I get your points”

 

 

The last thing that she wants to do is spoiling Baekhyun mood and because of that, she swallowed the feeling to herself and keep smiling to him when he dropped her off at his apartment complex. Dahee acts like nothing happened in car and tell him and she will wait him when he come back home at night to spend time together. Even when all he did was just hummed and quickly leaving the complex, Dahee still being positive thinking that he just might be busy with his work.

 

Even when few hours have passed and when he come back home, she still put her best attitude and keeping up with his mood swings, to not complain on anything. Around 7PM, Baekhyun come back and greet her with his sullen expression when she opened the door for him. It is fine, she thought. It is expected when he already had a long tiring day.

 

Jongdae pay a surprised visit to Jongin and Baekhyun as he had his break time from studies and the boys had so much laughter and topics to shared on after being reunited again in this small gathering. Although they did convince her that she did not disturb them at all; she can only return half-heartedly smile as her heart felt extremely heavy against her chest when her sulky expression remained unnoticed by Baekhyun.

 

It has been few hours but still no progress. She was bit unsettled with the way his hand was not holding her hand tightly as he always did, not even bother taking a glance as it seems like he was avoiding her when she trying to make conversation with him. Dahee was getting mad for the lack of communication, much more the gesture he throws as if he had not welcomed her back to Seoul to meet him. Why he does not happy that she came to see him?

 

Baekhyun obviously looks like someone who have problem and she wanted to know what bother him, of what he was thinking and why he so upset with her. They have been together long enough for Dahee to read his expression and right now, it did not look like he was happy with her being in his arm. She waited for few more minutes only for Baekhyun to pulled away completely from the grasp and sat up to setup Xbox game that was suggested by Jongin.

 

Dahee remains calmed despite how she wants to just leave and cry on her own. But she don’t want to be childish especially when Jongin and Jongdae has treated her so nice and make efforts to eliminate the unwanted feelings that have been lingered around her. Done with the setup, he flopped back to the couch and eyes staring at the screen, once in awhile laughing at the random jokes his friends thrown. That is when she realized that she was there just as a shadow to Baekhyun.

 

Knowing that he will just ignore her more when he started playing the games, Dahee tugged on his sleeves trying to get his attention. She wants to pull him away for a minute and ask if she did upset him in any other way. She mumbled as to making sure that other won’t listen to it, but she still did not get the respond that she wants. Could not taking it any longer, she proposed the idea to Jongin to let her play with Baekhyun against them. If this is the only way to make him talk, then she has to do it.

 

“Dahee! What are you doing?” Baekhyun speaking only after few minutes after she started the game. Dahee was taken aback but not surprised when his boyfriend suddenly burst out like that. “That is not the correct way to play!” His voice is slowly raising which made the other two boys looking at them uncomfortably.

 

“S—sorry I will try better. Let’s play another round” She said stuttered, trying to lift up the mood once again.

 

Dahee was feeling anxious between trying to fit into the game when she completely loser, or not get her boyfriend mad. She flinches a bit when he shake her arm, “Yah! You messed up again!” At this point, there is no point for Baekhyun to cover his tone any longer, it is obvious to everyone that he was pissed.

 

“I’m sorry that I’m not good at this” Dahee sigh, she was close to burst out after so long pent up all her frustration getting humiliated by her boyfriend.

 

“Hey guys take it easy. We can take a break and continue again after this” Jongin suggest, try to ease the awkwardness lingered around them. The worst situation to be in is being in the same room with in-war couple. Jongin and Jongdae is just so unlucky.

 

Baekhyun did not bother to his friend suggestion. He groaned and rearrange the game for another round. “This is just a simple game, but you can’t even play this well”

 

He then added something to his friends that Dahee can’t even process. “I don’t know the points of why you guys agreed when she said that she want to play with us”

 

And that was it, she was being patient enough, but when she caught his gaze on her, Baekhyun had broken it the second she turned to meet his eyes. She hit her palm harshly on the table and get up. “Well maybe if you stop treating me like a stupid person and stop being mad at me for nothing, I can get this ‘simple’ game right!”

 

“Don’t be dramatic. Sit down, you are not going anywhere. We have one last round to finish” Baekhyun attempt to pull her arm to make her sit back and stay.

 

“I’m not going to sit here and being your punching bag all night, Baekhyun!” She said and left to his room before slamming the door harshly.

 

Baekhyun knew that she was upset, and he was surprised that she can take it that long. Upon seeing Dahee face, the guilt come to him as he can feel the ache on his heart replicating on what she felt. His expression showing that he concerned, but he did nothing but just to resume back his game with the boys. He stayed for another round of game before finally giving up and following her into his bedroom.

 

He slowly twisting the door knop open, seeing his girlfriend sitting on the ground, with the luggage that she brought when she came earlier. “What are you doing?” Baekhyun voice interrupt her as she was busy packing back her things into places.

 

“Packing up to leave for tomorrow morning. I will be shamelessly staying over the night at your place as I have nowhere to go tonight” Her voice cracked, obviously trying to not cry in front of him.

 

He sighs and pull her off to stop her from packing. “It is not necessary. Come back outside, we have bought food. I know you did not have dinner earlier. The guys are waiting for you”

 

“Just do whatever you need and don’t bother me. I am doing a favor by giving you all the space you wanted since you seem like hating my presence and being mad at me for no reason!” Dahee said, letting out everything.

 

“Stop overreacting, it is not that deep. Let’s go, come on” Baekhyun answered and pointing out to the door. He pleads again but his expression remains same which doubt his sincerity.

 

Dahee pull out from his grip and crossed her arm, “No. Tell me first what I did wrong that you are mad at me”

 

“I’m not mad at you!” He yelled, obviously supporting Dahee statement about his attitude. “Why were you thinking I was pissed at you just because I did not act like you wanted? I thought it is pretty obvious that I’m giving you heads up that I just want to keep my problems to myself, but your clingy won’t understand it and keep driving me to the edge!”

 

“You have been showing signs that as if everything caused by me even since you pick up me from the airport. Then you can be all good laughing with your friends but automatically annoyed with everything I did or when I started to speak, what is that all about?” Dahee added points from her view.

 

Baekhyun know that she was partially right but his head was about to explode, and he just want to push everything tomorrow. He knows that with them screaming at each other will just make it worse. Massaging him temple as sign of frustration he told her, “We are both not in a right mind now. I will sleep outside. Let just talk about this tomorrow”

 

“Don’t run away from our problems, Baekhyun!” Contrast to what Baekhyun think is good for them, Dahee just want to solve it right away.

 

“It is my problem that I need to take care of my own! For God sake just let me breath! We are not talking about this tonight and that is final” He raised his hand and motion to her that he don’t want to listen anything coming out from anymore.

 

Her vision is blurry, and tear escaped as she bit her lip trying to control her emotion. She wishes she can be just like Baekhyun, pushing everything for tomorrow and be calm first for the night, but her tears won’t stop coming out and all she felt is a heartache and pain. She hates argument and the fact that her boyfriend won’t stop yelling and screaming at her making it worst. How can he expect her to sleep not knowing exact issue with her boyfriend?

 

Before she able to gasp everything and open . They were interrupted by knockings on the door. She is now realized that his bedroom door was not even closed properly and surely Jongin and Jongdae heard everything at this point. Jongin peek his head into the door and calling Baekhyun out to calm him down.

 

“Yelling at each other won’t solve anything. Baekhyun, can you come out first? Dahee, take a good rest first. I’m sure you still tired from the journey. You can guys can talk in the morning” Jongin said before signaling Baekhyun to follow him.

 

Baekhyun still managed to take glance at her before leaving the room, seeing Dahee is now sitting on the bed with tears flowing down like a waterfall. He frowned at the sight, knowing that he was the caused of Dahee tears. His girlfriend cry has always affected him, but when he saw how she just keep her head down avoiding him, Baekhyun thought it is better to push it all tomorrow and he quickly leave the room. Because he knows, the longer time he stayed there, he would have break.

 

 

Baekhyun did not sleep the entire night. He spent two hours consulting with his best friends on his issue and his worries that it surprised them how he shed tears unknowingly when he started mentioned Dahee name. They could not agree with him for his stupid action on hurting Dahee. But they know that he was just stressed and thinking too much doing a toll on him.

 

Even Jongin, a close friend who always see the couple fight with each other; agreed that this is indeed the worst fight they ever have. It was not supposed to be a big one, but the lack of communication and his decision to keep everything to himself without even discussing in a proper way with Dahee make everything worst.

 

Dahee would not know what his problems is if he chooses to be silent. After receiving nonstop nagging from them and it only take one triggered question from Jongin to awaken him when he asked, “What if she thought that you did not love her anymore and decided to leave you? Do you want to wait until that happened only for you to talk?”

 

Around 7AM when he calms down from his mood swings, he washes up and went to a quick morning jog to clear his mind. It has been a long night and luckily it finally weekend because he swears that he was about to passed out. All he need is a clean air and calming time before he confronts the love of his life, which he has hurt along the process.

 

Once he returned back, the first thing he did was going into his bedroom and check his girlfriend. She was sleeping soundly but his heart cracked upon seeing dried tears on her checks. He places a kiss on her crown before going out again to prepared her a breakfast.

 

“Dahee, wake up” Baekhyun come back after 30 minutes once he is done. He shakes her body slightly to get her wake up from her sleep.

 

His attempt succeeded in one try as Dahee jolt up when feeling his soft touch on her skin. Last night she was bailing her eyes out because of their argument and Baekhyun prepared breakfast in bed was the last thing she could think of. Especially when he does not exactly wrap thing in a good solution but leaving her hanging instead.

 

“You have time to prepare breakfast and act like nothing happen but don’t have time to explain to me everything last night. Wow, apparently it is that easy to change your mood” Unlike Baekhyun who have calmed down after the storm, Dahee still feeling bitter about everything.

 

“I promised you that we will talk this morning, so I will. But please have your breakfast first, darling?” He pleads, his eyes showing concern for his mad girlfriend.

 

“You are getting on my nerves, Baekhyun. I can’t believe that you had the audacity to be nice when you not even—” Her words stopped in the middle when Baekhyun kiss her all of sudden leaving her eyes widen at the surprise attack.

 

He parted away from the kiss and take her hands to secure it on his hold. “I’m so sorry for my actions baby, I really am. I know it is unfair for you that I let out all my frustration on you and did not explain everything to make everything clear”

 

“But Dahee, when I said that I wasn’t mad at you, I was telling the truth. I was already in bad mood, then instead of understanding my situation, you keep point out to the wrong direction asking what you did, thinking that I am solely mad at you. I never was baby I swear”

 

Being an emotional person, she is, Dahee starting to cry again. “How am I supposed not to feel like that, Baekhyun? You have giving me cold shoulder, avoiding me like I’m not exist, and you point out smallest thing and raise your voice at me, but at the same time not showing it to your friend”

 

“I can’t help but to think that I was the caused of your stress and felt like you don’t want me anymore. I’m sorry that I was being too needy or clingy or just plainly stupid in games. But if you tell me that you are just not in the mood or need space, I would have understand it and act better” She is sobbing mess now that Baekhyun feeling so bad that his eyes are glossy too from holding the emotion.

 

“We are supposed to work as a team Baekhyun, and no matter how I want you to share your problems with me, I would have understood your privacy. You said that it is the problem that you need to handle it on your own only, I would not pry on your business. Lesson learned now; I would not bother you to tell me unless you come on your own”

 

Baekhyun quickly shakes his head to dismiss the idea. “Oh my love, Byul Dahee. Don’t said that. You know that your comfort is what I always need. It just stupid of my yesterday, but I swear your words, your concerns and clinginess is what made me feel better each time. Please don’t change baby”

 

“Come here, Baekhyun” She opened her arm for him cuddles him and once he was in her embrace, he felt like all burdens was washed off from his shoulder. She is his comfort zone.

 

“I have been saying this a lot, but sometimes I wonder why I get so lucky. I’m not exactly a good boyfriend but I was blessed with a girlfriend like you” Baekhyun muttered while pressing his nose on her neck while she is playing with his hair.

 

“You are good boyfriend baby, stop talking nonsense” She cut his blabbering right away.

 

He titled his head to look at her, and all he felt is calmness. “But you are just perfect Dahee. To be honest I was having crisis with myself that caused my stress lately. Meeting your family few weeks back does made me realized a lot”

 

“They did? No—what did they say to you?” She is looking at him surprised, not really getting Baekhyun points.

 

He chuckled seeing her reaction. She had been telling him that she afraid that her parents will forbid them to be together and Baekhyun know that exactly what she thought in her mind. “Don’t worry, they are supporting our relationship well. It just me thinking I was being selfish tied you up with me when you can actually grow your wings further for your future”

 

“Baekhyun, we talked about this—” She called him as she is now getting his points.

 

“I know and I trust your plan for your career baby. It just me, when getting into this age, you know, it made me think about future a lot. Dahee darling, I want a future with you. But I want you to understand that as much as I want to spend my whole live with you, I want to see you being a successful person that will be bring so much happiness for yourself, for your family, and that will enough bring me happiness”

 

“I will be there supporting you in any of your decision and at the same time I would prepare myself to be a better version of Byun Baekhyun that will be with you forever. When the time comes, I would ask you the question and make you happiest woman ever. For now, I just want to be with you and not to worries about future. Because being with you is enough and that is all I ask for”

 

Getting into this serious conversation early in the morning was not part of Baekhyun plan. He just wants to feed her hungry girlfriend with good breakfast, apologize for being worst boyfriend of the year and maybe get some morning cuddles. But he was so comfortable with her that letting out his plan for his future to her was so smooth, especially when Dahee herself was part of it.

 

“I have thought about this for a long time and I think this would be the best moment” He peck her forehead one more time before getting up to get something from the tableside drawer.

 

He handled her the keys, which she completely had no idea what that is about. “I realized that is was not necessary to rush up things, just to be on the same, typical timeline as everybody else. We can take it slow and just enjoy our moments together. But I love the idea of waking beside you every day, seeing your pretty face (or hearing your cute snores) and the picture of us creating moments under the same roof excite me too much”

 

“I want you to move out with me, please baby?” Baekhyun proposed. “With you going for internship and soon working, I think it is the time for you to live closely to the city. I bought a house that is near to our workplace and don’t worry, I have consulted your parents about this this morning. I know this is crazy and of all sudden, I’m not forcing you but if you accepted, you will make me happiest man ever”

 

She nodded before kissing him on his lips and hug him tightly, “As long as we are together, that is all matters”

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Here is a break for oversweet Baek-Dahee moment for all. Comments below on what do you think of this update