023

DARLING

Vv

 

Very common in a long terms relationship for arguments to occur. Especially for those who have decided to move in together, it is inevitable to feel annoyed, irritated, and upset towards our partner even for a small (and sometimes ridiculous) reasons. It will happen no matter how strong the relationship are, with or without we realised.

 

Baekhyun and Dahee are normal couple who included into the list. Almost 3 years into relationship has made them know each other well; but not too well when they just found out each other habits when they eventually living together. Some of the things is not a big deal, but some are. That is includes how Baekhyun found out that Dahee is a clean freak and how Dahee found out his obsession for games.

 

“When will you stop playing games, babe?” Dahee asking while pouted at her boyfriend who seems too busy. It does make her annoyed when her boyfriend choose to spend time on games rather than her.

 

He heard it, Dahee was so sure he heard it, but he pretends he is not. “Ouch! What is that for, baby! I’m playing now!” Baekhyun complained while rubbing his arm, feeling hurt that she pinch him on the same spot for ignoring her.

 

“Just pay attention to me, Baekhyun!” She abruptly pull his headphone off, making his flinch from sudden impact.

 

“Oh god Dahee you are being so annoying right now. If you want to sleep, just go to sleep alone, you are not a kid anymore” Baekhyun should realise that he is the one who is annoying at this point.

 

Dahee admit that she does being annoying by clinging to him on a rare occasion, she is always the understanding one. However, she do feel a little bit needy when it is time of the month, or when she had a long day at work. Get to cuddle her boyfriend after a tiring day sound like a good plan but when Baekhyun was not in mood; it led to another point of their argument.

 

Most of their misunderstandings and arguments usually because of the smallest things; like how Dahee feeling irritating when she come back home to a messy house and Baekhyun does not even care to help her a bit. He does help in doing chores especially few months when they moved in together, but not he if was in a game mood.  All he care is set PC set and never ending gaming rounds.


That is what she hate about it. It was starting with his obsession of playing games, towards neglection of his other responsibilities. Dahee did not mind doing all the chores, but it will be helpful if Baekhyun can help when is on leave. Or least try to make their apartment tidy without messy it up. Her boyfriend should have known how tiring she is, yet he still did not make efforts to ease her burden.

 

The next day, Dahee come back from work a little bit late than usual as she stopped by to buy groceries. She was shocked upon her arrival at their apartment. “What the—” Dahee felt like her eyes were about to drop on the floor seeing all the messy on the living room. “Baekhyun!” She screamed in frustration.

 

Few minutes later, her boyfriend coming out from his gaming room with her cordless headset still hanging on his neck. “Hey, you are home. You were calling for me Dahee? Sorry I was in game”

 

“Baekhyun what happened?” She asked half-heartedly. “Why is everything so messed up? Can you help to clean the mess you made?”

 

“But I’m not done with my game yet” He whined.

 

She sighs with his useless respond. Dahee already being worn out from her works. “You know I just got back from work, Baek. I’m tired”

 

“Can you help me a bit? I promise I will do all the task for the rest of the day” He scratch his back of the neck awkwardly, “I am in the middle of important round now, help me okay baby?” Baekhyun said before he returns to the game room when his friend calling for his name through the headset.

 

It is sometimes giving her headache on how to communicate with Baekhyun. She loves him and he is a sweet and caring boyfriend, but sometimes she do feel like want to choke him while he play his games. She don’t want to make noise on her daily tasks at home, but it will be lovely if he balance his games and other things wisely.

 

Another thing that limit her to complain more is when Baekhyun is the one who pay for the apartment and bills. She have suggested to split between them, but her boyfriend already rejected the idea at the first place, resulting Dahee to negotiate on other terms; like she will do the chores for them. Knowing her place, she should have not complaining, but she is just a human who will eventually blow up when it is too much to take.

 

Works has taken a toll on her and Dahee could notice it. For past few days she has too much workload and it does affect her in so many ways, including her emotions. She is about to complete her trainee periods and it is crucial moments where she must perform so that she can secure a permanent position in her current company. Because of that, she have overwork herself for past few days resulting her getting irritated with her boyfriend for almost everything.

 

“Baekhyun babe” Dahee call out his name while walking to the living hall meeting his boyfriend who focusing on his Netflix session. Baekhyun was on leave today.

 

He hummed, eyes still on the screen. “What is it baby, can you repeat that again?” He asked as her previous question was a bit unclear for his hearing.

 

“I asked you, do you see my white blazer? The one that I always wear for meeting with client” Dahee said, trying to get the information from him.

 

He paused on the series, now finally paying attention to her. “Have you check on your closet?” She shakes her head as respond. “How about laundry basket? Maybe you have not yet wash it, don’t you think so, Dahee?”

 

Her eyes widen, suddenly remembered to check it right away. Few minutes back she run back to him with unreadable expression. “Baekhyun!” She half yells. “Why you are not doing the laundry? Do you forget to do it? It was supposed to be your turn!”

 

“Oh God! I just remembered it!” Baekhyun said while covering his mouth with his hand. “I was a bit busy these few days that it slipped on my mind” He said and resume back the playback button, not really care about the topic.

 

“You have promised me that you will do it yet you still forget!” She complained. “It is not that hard to do and now I have no blazer to wear for tomorrow!” Dahee walking around the house, half panic as she had no idea what to wear for a big presentation the next day.

 

He rolls his eyes which only made her more frustration. “You have so much clothes to wear darling, it is not a big deal”

 

“It is!” Dahee retorted. “This is not only about what to wear, this is about you did not carry out your task in this house” Maybe she is too tired that Dahee started to blurt out all her pent-up frustration.

 

“I pay for the house and bills, what were you talking about responsibilities now?” Baekhyun muttered not really care about her reaction later. He wasn't realised that he is being petty now. “You still have time to wash it now and still can wear it tomorrow. Make it work instead of nagging at me for unnecessary things”

 

It is a normal scenario in the household. Baekhyun getting annoyed, Dahee getting upset, those two even sometimes will end up not talking to each other for few hours until one of them give in and apologies. In this part, it is always Baekhyun because he know that he was the one who always cause the damage more than his girlfriend. And also, he cannot sleep without her.

 

That is another agreement that they have agreed when they first moved in; that no matter how mad they are to each other—It should have been resolved over a night so that they will not sleep in that state. They good in making small argument escalated quickly, but they also good in communicating on how to resolve the misunderstanding.

 

But not until the bomb dropped and challenge the ego that they had.

 

 

Tapping his fingers on the table again, Baekhyun could not hide his emotions any longer. His tongue poking his inner cheek and his ears are turning red from controlling his angers even since he arrived at the event. His eyes keep looking through on the screen on his mobile phone; never leave the page where his girlfriend leave a short message and only left as seen. Baekhyun not even bother to reply anymore.

 

From: Byul Dahee

Sorry, I could not make it for the night. I will explain to you once I got home.

 

It is a happy day, at least for Jongdae and his now fiancée as they held their engagement party. It was a small event with Jongdae friends and family invited. While Baekhyun feeling happy that his best friend has level up for their relationship, he must hide the fact that he was totally mad that his girlfriend stood his up for such important event.

 

Some may say that he is being petty for mad over such a thing, but he have reminded her for few times over the event, and this is such important event that Dahee should not miss it. When she started not picking up her phone few hours before it started, he already have a bad feeling. It was then turning into worries that his girlfriend did not responding any of his messages either. What if something bad happen to her?

 

All alone at the event where the rest have brought their partner has made Baekhyun looks a bit pathetic sipping his drink by the bar section, clearly being upset. This week has been rough on them, where Dahee was too busy, coming home late and being cranky with him. For that, Baekhyun know that the small arguments they had in these few days was actually hints that it will soon lead to a bigger conflict.

 

Baekhyun is the type of boyfriend that know how to hide his emotions well, at least in front of his girlfriend. He would not say much but to keep his own thoughts and problems for him to handle. Due to that, everything has pent up upon himself that one day, when it was over his control; he would blow up and it will usually not end up in a good one.

 

As he keep every thought to himself, Baekhyun tends to overthink in a negative way. In this case, he had been thinking a lot about her girlfriend. It is when the thought of doubting his own girlfriend come cross into his mind when she always assured him how much he meant everything in her world. But Baekhyun is just ordinary man with so much insecurity.

 

He could not help but to compare himself with Dahee supervisor who apparently a young, handsome, and successful man. The fact that lately she has been assigned to a project that fully monitored by Seojun, Dahee supervisor made his thoughts go haywire on how much time they would spend together. Even for few days she had gone back late than usual and that is enough reasons for Baekhyun to think badly.

 

Shaking his head furiously, Baekhyun finally left the venue when the event almost wrap up. He excuses himself and luckily his friends did not ask him further questions, probably understand the whole situation. He was not showing his eagerness of being there anyway. Not feeling so good, Baekhyun managed to inform Jongin before he leave back to their apartment.

 

Baekhyun expecting Dahee to arrive before him, all ready to explain the situation as she promised. But he feel more upset when he was greeted with a dark house and no trace of his girlfriend coming home. It fuel his angers more when it is already midnight and she was not even home. Where the hell she is?

 

It is only another hour when he heard the main door opened. “Hey, I’m home” Dahee whispers, hoping that there will be no voice greet her back. She lowkey hope that her boyfriend has gone sleep before she came back.

 

She was totally not ready for the situation where boyfriend with his arms folded, looking furious standing on the living hall. “Do you know what time it is now?” He asked coldly.

 

“Sorry Baek, I know it is pretty late I was caught up with my works. But—” Dahee was startled when she was interrupted by Baekhyun voice. Getting yelled at almost 1 am is not a good sign. Baekhyun is indeed mad.

 

“But what?!” He cut her off. “You stood me up on the event that we were supposed to came in together! I don’t know if you forgot about this, but I am your boyfriend Dahee! What are you taking me for? And what the hell were you doing this late? Are you really working, Dahee?”

 

Dahee sighs while putting her working bag away, it was so sudden that she was not even have a chance to prepare herself for the late argument. “I will explain to you in a bit, I just reached home from tiring day at work Baekhyun, can you at least let me breath?”

 

“Funny how you not even feeling guilty at all” Baekhyun smirks and let exasperated sighs that void any sympathy for her girlfriend. “Don’t you ever think about what you did tonight? You can’t be serious now”

 

“What is your problem, Baek? I know I’m wrong, but you no need to ask me that question. You know I’m working” She explained the same excuses again. It is ridiculous to repeat it all over again because she knew that he will never listen. “For God sake I have apologized to you so many times and I even texted Jongdae and his fiancée telling them how sorry I am to not make it to their engagement party. What is the big deal now?”

 

Dahee was not lying when she said that, in fact as soon as she realized that it was already halfway of the event, she quickly text her boyfriend and Jongdae to inform about her being absent. She even called Baekhyun multiple times only to be rejected by him. It was not her intention to forgot about the event, this is a big event that she even look up to come.

 

It was so unfortunate that the system deployment have issue and she have to wreck her brain to debug the whole system and got carried away; Dahee swear if she have time to checks on her phone she would even run to venue instead of telling Baekhyun that she could not make it. It was her fault, she admit it. But there is nothing that she can do.

 

“If you want to apologize, you should at least make it more sincere rather than saying an empty word” At this point, she had to admit that Baekhyun was right, but the way he wrapped into the sentence was not right and it is hurting her.

 

“What?” Dahee asked unbelievably. “I apologized to you, but you never listen! Do you want me to beg you now? Or return to the past so that I can abandon my work and go with you instead? Tell me Baekhyun!”

 

“You know that this is important event, that I have reminded you so many times last week, but Dahee you still forgot about it! Do you ever think how worried I am when you did not reply to my texts, calls for the whole day? And then suddenly you tell me you can’t make it. What did you take me for? I waited for you for hours! I feel so dumb alone there!”

 

She shakes her head in disbelief, “You are not going to die if you went there alone, Baekhyun. Stop exaggerating”

 

“You said I am exaggerating?” Baekhyun snorted at her sarcasm. “How will you react if this is the other way round? You will say so many things about me. Do you think it is only my job to care about your feelings? How about you then? Does my feelings is not a big deal for you?”

 

“It is not like that, Baekhyun. You know that” Dahee denied, guilty eat her up upon hearing her boyfriend confession.

 

He then added his points, “Everyone asked me where the hell is my girlfriend. Should I say that I was stood up because she forgot about the event and apparently prioritize her work than me? Of course, I was mad Dahee!”

 

Most of the times of their argument Baekhyun will sometimes give up and let the blames to be put on his shoulder, but in a very rare chances, he will eventually explode. After all he still a human despite how he tried to be tolerated and sweet boyfriend he is; Baekhyun still feel hurt. Especially this argument today, he felt so upset and dejected.  

 

And tonight, he need to make it clear that he does affected for what she did. “You could have text me when you already had the issue of your work, I would have ready, but you did not even make time for it. It would not be that hard to inform me so that I would not be this worried! But you are not!”

 

Maybe he should have let it out, but maybe, he should have stop where angers took over his mind and he started to speak nonsense. “Or maybe you are too enjoying your time with your co-workers? Or maybe your hot supervisor? Were you ignored me on purpose?”

 

At first, she got what Baekhyun said in his defence. She could understand his point of view. He must have felt embarrassed, upset, and disappointed when she cancelled on his plan. Dahee would even piss if she was in his place.  Jongdae is someone dear to him and by that means, it is important for his girlfriend to tag along with him for such memorable event.

 

But then Baekhyun has shifted the entire thing and doubt her loyalty all of sudden. She want to apologize again for her absent, Dahee does feels very guilty but all his accusation made her halts her intention. How come her boyfriend saying something hurtful like that? Not only he doubt her, Baekhyun even jumping into conclusion that she cheated on him.

 

“Are you trying to say that I cheated on you?” Dahee asked, her words halted as she is more into getting hurt instead of mad at this moment.

 

“I did not say that exactly but if it fits, then it is” He muttered, obviously not thinking the consequences.

 

Dahee massage her temples before looking at him again, “You know that is not true Baekhyun! How on earth you can even think about it? You know how much I love you, yet you dare to even think I’m cheating with my supervisor?”

 

Baekhyun silent, halfway regretting what he said. He want to at least say something when Dahee already put up her hand to motion him to stop. She is too tired to handle him at this point. “This is the most ridiculous accusation I ever heard, especially from my own boyfriend who did not trust me!”

 

 

This is the biggest and hurtful arguments they had since they were in relationship. All this while, they know how to communicate and solve it without hurting each other feelings. However, this time, both feeling too much hurt and disappointments among them that led to unsolvable crisis.  This is not about clearing the misunderstanding anymore, but it was more as it involves trust.

 

He would never doubt it when he said that he trust his girlfriend, but his insecurity and over jealousy always beat Baekhyun off. He once met her supervisor and he saw how that guy have the qualities that Baekhyun deems perfect ideal man. Dahee never even once compare them, but his self-destructive personality did it on his own.

 

Baekhyun was so used having Dahee to himself that he thought she should have no other best friend to laughs with her, to share her ups and downs moment and to have someone to rely on. He was being ridiculous right now that there is no way that he owns Dahee into that extend. But this is his flaws. Baekhyun was never a perfect man in his own eyes. 

 

Both Dahee and Baekhyun was caught in heated moment, that filled up with angers that surely take times to cool down. At this point, they are no longer able to hear each other explanation, but rather thrills to provoke themselves on proving who is the wrong one in this argument. They had blurted out so many hurtful comments and remarks that is impossible to not care about it.

 

Dahee had stormed off from the living room and went inside their bedroom, obviously not in a mood to listen to his remarks and see his face. It was too much for Dahee to handle but she still have ongoing tasks that need to be done by tonight and at this point, Baekhyun is not the priority that she have to think. What is the use anyway when he refuse to listen?

 

While Baekhyun, he obviously not getting enough with the justification she provided earlier. He have so many things to discuss and when she just walked away like that, it added to his point that Dahee was trying to avoid the topic because he is partially right with his thoughts. Or else why would she refuse to talk about this?

 

“What are you doing? I thought that all day is not enough for with your ‘work’?” Baekhyun asked while making his way to the bedroom, standing opposite of Dahee study table.

 

“Not your business, just shut up if you want to make me mad. I have no time to deal with your s” She answered while furiously typing on her laptop keyboard.

 

Baekhyun asked few more questions that only doubt her, but totally ignored as she is dealing with her unfinish work. “Damn it Dahee! I was talking to you!” A chat pop up on her laptop later, with her supervisor name on the screen. “What is this Seojun guy want from you at this time? It is 2 am! You are denying that you are cheating on me, but what the is this?!”

 

His sudden outburst did not make her flinch, because Dahee know how much he mad at her; Baekhyun will never hurt in any other way. The last thing that Baekhyun will be is an abuser. But she know that with his veins popping and his eyes strained, he was yelling at her. Baekhyun is still yelling at her in few seconds later that he only stop when she abruptly stand up.

 

Dahee vision blurry due to sudden action and she swears that she is in the urges of crying. But she is independent woman who was raised by her family to be strong and defence herself to protect her from any situation. That is including her own boyfriend who accuse her for something that she never did. It just cross her mind why; why he even have a thought that she will cheat on him?

 

She slammed her hand on the study table making him stop at his remarks. “Can you just drop with the cheating topic because I’m not cheating on you Byun Baekhyun! How many times do I have to convince you?”

 

“What is worse is you should have understood what I was going through right now. With our industry, you know how it works. But you refuse to even think this possibility because you are blind with your jealousy!” Dahee back into her laptop and pull off the earphone attached and the sounds of discussion of the on-going meeting blast off through the speaker.

 

“For your information, we are still in meeting to solve the issue. I told you the deployment is problematic, and we are still looking for solution up until now” Luckily, she was in mute for the session, or else it will be dead for her. Having her co-workers listened to the argument was the last thing she wanted.

 

She sighs and put back the earphone, attach to the machine. “They all stay at the client office but I’m begging them to let me do remotely from home because I feel like I have to go back after upsetting my boyfriend with the spoiled date we should have. I begged them with so much excuses because I live with you, I still need to respect you as the one who give me shelter. Just—just stop arguing with me because I still have lots to do. Please”

 

Baekhyun swear that his heart broken listened to it, but again, his ego overshadow everything. “Oh come on, drop it Dahee. You are just an intern. You don’t have to pretends to be this workaholic. Unless if you want to impress your supervisor so bad. Might as well kissing his !”

 

“Shut it Byun Baekhyun!” She yelled on top of her lungs. Dahee never once purposely being rude at her boyfriend, but this time she had to. “I know my place very well, yes I’m just an intern who barely even secure a job! But you don’t have to shove it into to my face like that!”

 

“Do you even know what struggles I go through? Let me ask you, for these few weeks that I have been feeling tired every time I came home, did you even ask how was my day? All you did was making me understand you are in big projects that you don’t even have time to help at home!”

 

She did not stop at that. “I have no issue to do all the chores because yeah you are paying for this house so that is at least what I can do to repay you. But that is not shifting the fact that I am working too. I’m dealing with coding and bugs like you did, as much as your complained!”

 

“It is not my problems that you felt insecure with my supervisor! Why you have to act like overprotective boyfriend and control me!” Part of herself know that she was wrong by saying that, but Dahee was mad too and Baekhyun need to know her point of view.

 

“You know what? Yes! I’m kissing my supervisor !” Her words got Baekhyun shocked before she resume, “I am kissing everyone in the company with my efforts so that I would have get offer for permanent job after I’m done with my internship!”

 

Without she realized, her tears has left her eyes. “You had no idea how much I looks into you as my role model Baekhyun, I want to be as good as you, at least I want to make you proud by getting a position at global company just like you. I want to be on the same level so that you will not be ashamed when people ask you what I do for living”

 

“I want to help you in financing as soon as I can too. You know I hate that I felt like leaching your money off. If you—” Dahee paused, blinking her tears away before sitting down back to the chair and resume back her words. With her back facing Baekhyun, she says, “If you consider everything, I have explained you should have realised that cheating on you while working never come cross on my mind”

 

They are so similar and just like a soulmate, both are link with the same feelings. If one of them is mad, the other one is mad too. One is hurting, another one feel the heartache too. That is how it has been between them but none of them realised how much they are affecting each other. It suddenly make sense how they resembles each other characters, how they can love each other equally and feel the hurts together.

 

It was not the same aftermath conversation he always prompted before. This time however it is not easy to apologies and it is not easy either to tell each other that is okay and to move on.  It leave a deeper cut, reflecting on both hearts as tears fall unconsciously from their precious eyes. Irony how that can hurt each other yet feeling the same amount of pains together.

 

“How would I know” Baekhyun spoke for the first time after few minutes. His voice is slow, almost whispering, truly feel upset. “How would I know if you are telling me the truth or not now?”

 

Dahee turns her back immediately at his sudden statement. “What do you mean, Baekhyun? You know that I was saying the truth”

 

“What if I was right? That it is true that you have fell out of love with me and find someone else better? Your supervisor is looking so much better than me in many aspect” Baekhyun eyes now looking at her directly, looking for possible truth to reveal.  

 

Out of everything he has said tonight, this will be the worst one. She felt like she have been losing. “It is not my responsible to prove anything to you because the truth is I will never such thing behind your back” Dahee sobbing unable to control her tears any longer. She is hurting too much. “If you love me enough, you would have believed in me”

 

“I still have faith in me saying that all the nonsense you blurt was out of your emotion, you did not mean anything of this. Baekhyun, please” Dahee tried to hold his arm, all she wanted is to solve everything right away. “Look into my eyes baby and tell me that you believe me. Please Baekhyun, you know how much I love you, how much I love what we have now”

 

In the midst of tense situation, Dahee spotted that Baekhyun had tears back on his eyes. But what her boyfriend says in a very sad tone next shocked her even more, “I think we need some time” He hold into her arms, loosing her grip on him before cupping her face and kiss her crown.

 

“I’m not giving up on us darling, but I think we need be apart to think about us” Baekhyun no longer bother to pretends like his is okay when he cried while closing the door of their apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I am being biased here but Baekhyun, boy you are just so stupid. Subscribe and comment for part 2!