008

DARLING

Hh

 

Have you ever feel like you are so mad over something or someone that you can’t control? Like your eyes is burning when see you unpleasant things but you can do anything as it was not even related to you. As for Baekhyun, someone that he should not even care at the first place.

 

Baekhyun is a typical guy; and guy like him never want to show the world the weak side of them, so they often appear indifferent when someone tell them about the other cute guy beside him, but deep inside him, his insecurities are dying to burst out. But again, when he thinks about it, they are not worth his time.

 

He had explained to Dahee why he can’t let Sehun flirt with her. Firstly, Sehun is someone dear to him, he don’t want his friend to get close with her in any form of relationship. Secondly, he assumed Sehun not serious about her but more into getting a fling rather than a girlfriend. Lastly, no— Baekhyun run out of solid excuse but he just concluded that he can’t imagine seeing them together.

 

But of course, Baekhyun have no power in stopping Sehun to court her and somehow he still tried to prevent a girl like Dahee to fall for his friend charm. You like me and only me— he said. He was 50 percent sure that Dahee will not change her crush just like that but another 50 percent whisper to him that he will loose her.

 

Will he be this insecure if that guy wasn’t Sehun? He thinks for awhile, but he shakes his head again. Maybe, he will be less petty if the guy who flirt openly with Dahee wasn’t his close friend. But again, who is him to her to stopping anyone to court her? Dahee is a single and attractive girl, it’s not surprised if there is a line of guys trying to get her phone number even.

 

Was it jealousy? But in real context, it was far from that. Was he annoyed? Yes, so annoyed with Sehun and his non-stop flirting with Dahee. The fact that Dahee did nothing but to blushing and get all flustered every time he said something sweet; made him pissed off even more.

 

Dahee coming to the cafe before lunch time to get her drink and Baekhyun face immediately down when he spotted Sehun trails behind her into the cafe. He was not supposed to come early today but he guess, it doesn’t matter for Sehun as he can serve Dahee as his special customer.

 

“This is for you, sweet heart” Sehun put a cup of coffee in front of her and Dahee quickly thanks him in return.

 

“I’m so glad that you drop by, Dahee. You literally made by day brighter by seeing your beautiful face”

 

She just shakes her head playfully. “You are the cheesy one; flirtatious”

 

“I have to step up my games, should I?” Sehun asked and she just shrugged. “Okay, tell me then. What is your ideal type?”

 

Dahee never got this kind of question but to be honest she always have one in her head. “Well,” She smiles before added, “I like handsome guy, not necessarily tall but at least taller than me. A cold type of guy— you know tsundere? But a softie one only for me”

 

“He should have a pretty smiles that can make my day better” How wonderful it is, she thought.

 

Girls— we all do our own criteria of ideal boyfriend that we always wanted. It usually came out after we read a romantic novel, or from teenage drama or sometimes if we lucky enough, we would experience it within our circle, for example our own friend.

 

Appearance is the first thing in checklist but we would also consider the his character. As for Dahee, maybe she was watching too much kpop idol music video but she really admire handsome guy. But, she is a bit weird as she didn’t like those prince-type of guy. She once said to her roommate, it will be harder if you have extremely handsome boyfriend.

 

She always agreed that character is more than anything and to be honest, even though she is not a picky person; Dahee hate rude guy. She like bad boy type of guy, but not too bad. Dahee didn’t wish to date with a mafia guy. A normal guy with her preference? Yes, that is her ideal type of boyfriend.

 

Call it super crush, but even when she thinks about her ideal type, all her mind can think is Baekhyun. He is a perfect candidate as she can see, handsome but not too handsome, cold type but still, he have his own charm and most importantly his pretty boxy smile.

 

She must be crazy thinking that she want all the perfect one and think if that kind of guy exist. What would be Baekhyun flaw according to her? Nothing. But what would stop her to get someone like Baekhyun? He obviously didn’t like her as much as she like him.

 

Why would she waste her time to chase someone like him when there is another person that like her that much? Well maybe, because Dahee only had her eyes on one guy, even the closest thing that she can from him is a hope. She have to be careful, because a hope can really ruin her.

 

Sehun snap his fingers in respond. “Ah! It’s easy. I can—“

 

“No, all her ideal type— she talking about me, now you—“ Baekhyun who suddenly there pointed out to Sehun. “Shoo-shoo, go inside and do your work”

 

“Baekhyun you ! You just ruined the mood” Sehun stormed his feet like a child and throwing tantrum.

 

The older guy said nothing in respond as if he had seen Sehun does that all the time. He then grabbed Dahee hand to stand up but stopped upon seeing the drink she had on the table. “Who made this, you, Sehun?”

 

He just nodded but not saying anything as he was confused. “Hazelnut latte? Dahee allergic to nuts”

 

“No— it’s okay!” Dahee defending herself, she just don’t want Sehun to feel bad. “I mean— you didn’t know that”

 

Sehun eyes widened, “Oh crap! I’m sorry I should have asked you. I was too focusing to make the heart shape art on top of the whipped cream. My bad, let me get you a new drink”

 

“No need. We are leaving anyway” Baekhyun already done with his shift planning to leave with her. When he saw how confused she was, he flicked her forehead. “Duh. We have to be at fried chicken restaurant to meet Jongin and Jongdae, remember?”

 

He rolled his eyes when Dahee finally agreed to leave, even when she can’t really recall that they made a promise. “This free drink, I can take it right? Thank you Sehunnie” Baekhyun grins to annoyed him more.

 

 

“So.....” Jongdae prompt with a conversation. “I don’t know that you like fried chicken too, Dahee”

 

Jongin nudged his friend and scoffed at him. “Who wouldn’t like it? Tsk” Dahee nodded at his statement. “I still couldn’t believe that you are here but girl, you are welcome for our fried chicken session any time”

 

“I don’t know that you guys love to chill here, I mean I wouldn’t know if Baekhyun not dragging me out of the cafe all of sudden because he jealous to see me with his colleagues—“ Dahee want to say more but the guy already close with his hand.

 

“Nothing happened, guys” Baekhyun desperately want to explain to his best friends. “She talked nonsense”

 

Jongin and Jongdae looking at him directly, secretly knowing the meaning behind his nervousness. “Really, Byun Baekhyun?” Jongdae ask further.

 

“I will order for us, okay?” Baekhyun hurriedly excuse himself to get out from the awkwardness.

 

“That guy, ugh. So, Dahee,” Jongin called her. “Have you prepare gift for Baekhyun?”

 

Puzzled and confused, she asked, “Gift? For Baekhyun? Why?”

 

Jongdae had the are-you-serious-that-he-is-your-crush face on him, “His birthday is in the first week of next month!”

 

“Ah, I see” Maybe she is naive enough thinking that she can hide her excitement, but for both of Baekhyun friends, they already know how anticipate she is.

 

The initial plan was just the roomates, Baekhyun, Jongin and Jongdae was planning to have lunch at their favourite fried chicken restaurant and will spend their weekend all along. Baekhyun even took half day off from his part time job just to have a bonding time with them (as if being in the same uni not enough).

 

He couldn’t process what he just done but out of nowhere, he suddenly dragged her away from Sehun and at that moment he want nothing but to separate them. This is not jealousy, he said. But a voluntary action to save her heart from getting played. Really, Byun Baekhyun?

 

Coincidentally, she was free and he think as he have no other excuses to provide to her on why he dragged her away from the cafe, he use this get escape. Besides, he know how happy Jongin and Jongdae will be if she tagged along. They will have another topic to about.

 

It just a normal lunch session but all of sudden the other boy suggested that they should have watch a new movie on cinema and obviously, invite Dahee to tagged along. Jongin put a free ticket as a bait for Dahee to join as she hesitates if she should follow them.

 

From a glance, he know that this is not a good idea as Jongin already exchange looks with each other while booking for the movie ticket. It’s either they will book a separate seat for or— just as he expected, his roommates literary booked a couple seat for them.

 

Jongin and Jongdae is their biggest shippers and as the president of the club— they also make sure that they bought them a couple set of popcorn and a cup of carbonated drink to share. Indirect kiss, as Jongin whisper to Baekhyun.

 

His face is red as tomato and what annoyed him even more is Dahee have no clue what movie that they will watch. But just to see Dahee face turn pale when she walked passed horror movies poster while approaching their cinema hall, it gave him idea. Baekhyun told her that they are going to watch a romantic teen movie.

 

Too bad, Dahee only found out that when the movie already started.

 

“You actually scared of horror movie?” Even though he tried so bad to laugh in silence, but Dahee clearly can see his face. He think this is funny which clearly not to her.

 

“What? That is not even scary Dahee!” Still enjoying his time to , he forcefully bring back her hand down from her face. “Oh my God look at your funny face! I think you almost cry!”

 

She shakes her head. “I cannot see that. It’s scary as ”

 

Dahee tried her best to close her eyes with her hands but Baekhyun already hold her hand firmly to make sure she didn’t cover her face with that. As she was busy fought with Baekhyun to let her hands go, suddenly the jump-scare scene pop up and made her scream immediately.

 

As expected, Baekhyun still laughing at her and for the scary scene. Two minutes straight and he still can’t get over the fact that she literally jump slightly on him to hide her face into his shoulder. He know that she hate horror movie, but he didn’t know that she was this scared.

 

Then it made he think, if she really scared of the scene or purposely do that just to get close with him. He know how girls fantasied to have a romantic time with her boyfriend in cinema but they both are not together and this is super awkward. Especially when she still not recovering from the shock and still have her face covered.

 

Baekhyun recomposes himself again after a while and slowly, push her body away from him. Dahee still close her eyes and her body was shaking. He went panic immediately as she still not responding when he call her name, only to notice that the girl crying in silence.

 

He call her again but this time softly while her hair trying to comfort her. The situation in cinema is remain calm as the scary part of the movie has passed, but still, she can’t get over it. Dahee open her eyes after he tell her that it was over but still keep her gaze on the floor. There is no way that she will return back her attention to the screen.

 

Thinking that it will not make her calm anymore, Baekhyun decided to take her out. It was stupid to leave the movie half way and being a stingy person, he can feel the lost of his money just like that. But still, he would not be an to let her be like that. It was his fault after all.

 

Tip toeing into the exit door, he lead Dahee out by holding her hand. When she finally can spot a light outside the hall and no more sounds of people screaming from the previous movie, she finally felt relieved. She felt bad for him to leave the hall, in sobbing she said, “I’m sorry. I told you I can’t watch any horror movie. You can go back and watch it until the end”

 

“Will you be okay?” He asked genuinely.

 

“I— I think so” She said she will be okay but body still shaking.

 

He pull her for a hug and while knowing that she allowed to hug him, Dahee press her crying mess face into his chest. She always know that he is indeed a cold person, but this is the first time she see how affectionate he is and the way he tried to calm her is something. She love this version of Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Hey, shh...” He soothes her back. “I’m sorry that I take it too far. I should have consider your fear for horror movie at the first place”

 

“It’s okay, Baekhyun” Dahee finally can calm down under his warmth. “But can I get ice cream?”

 

“I knew it that you will take advantage for this kind of situation” He grunts. But still, pay for three flavours of her favourite ice cream at Baskin Robin stall.

 

 

Baekhyun and Jongin shared the same room on their dorm and having exclusive right over choosing a room as a 4th year senior, they eventually choose the biggest room out of the dorm and sneak Jongdae in their room too as a roommates. Roommates, classmates, best friends— they are just inseparable.

 

As the last year students they were mostly busy focusing on their final year project to complete. This time, they have chosen to develop a websites system that will implement AI technology to help students for online portal learning. Luckily, Jongin, Jongdae and Baekhyun are so good with programming that they almost have no issue with their project.

 

It does look like they are a bunch of hardworking student who keep study for their degree but the reality is they was doing a task that was way overdue to submit— that is the only way to keep them busy with academic tasks instead of their game.

 

While they were working to debug the error on their coding, the speaker of the dorm start announcing that the uni broadcast session will be starting in a while. They always have different announcer every time and during their stress time like this, Jongin wish nothing but to have a good announcer with a good taste of music.

 

He still remembered how Baekhyun going riot as the previous announcer play 80s sleepy slow song during the time when he had to memorise the theory of computer fundamentals.

 

“Ah- ah testing” The speaker started to blast the sound. “Did this stupid mic even on?” There even have a sound of people laughing in the background. Obviously, this time the recruit a newbie.

 

“Hello everyone, don’t be shocked. It just a gimmick!” But then as the person talks casually, she did sounds good and caught their attention. “At the end of the session, you may have fall in love of angelic voice”

 

Baekhyun immediately laughs to the announcer joke. She did remind her of someone. But then as they listened more and more, with a playlist of songs and as she mentioned it was dedicated to special someone, it finally clicked. It was Dahee! She was the announcer of the night.

 

Of course she had to made it obvious to them as she firstly dedicated Adele song, Make You Feel My Love to someone that she always adore, with a cute little message that the person will hear this song and can understand her feelings.

 

“I can’t believe that she indirectly confess her love to you on uni broadcast station! Luckily she not reveal your identity” Jongdae .

 

“I told you, she is something right?” Baekhyun facepalmed. “Who can expect that all of sudden she played love song for me like that”

 

Jongin then get up and act like he wanted to hug Baekhyun, “But you like it, don’t you?”

 

“N— no—“ He can denied as much as he can but he can hide the fact that he did smiles a lot on each of the songs she dedicated to.

 

“This program is live right? It will end around 12am, isn’t that far to walk from student council building to girls dormitory?” Jongdae then prompted for a serious question, even she is not related to him, he still thinking that it is not safe for Dahee to go back alone.

 

At one corner, Baekhyun suddenly pay his full attention to Jongdae words. He was right, indeed. So when he suddenly stand up and lock his laptop to get his hoodie and phone, the other two guys silently looking at each other and mouthing something fishy. It just Baekhyun are so dumb not knowing that they purposely do that so trigger him.

 

“Baekhyun,” Jongin called him before he able to twist the door knob. “I think it’s going to be rain, you better bring the umbrella, a big one so that it can fit for two people”

 

He shrugged and show his roomate that he have his hoodie on. ”Aish— you guys— I just need to take fresh air for a while”

 

But his feet lead him to the student council building.

 

“Baekhyun?” She greet him as soon as she saw him outside. “What are you doing here? At this time?”

 

“Nothing—“ He stuttered. “I’m walking for fun. Yeah— for fun”

 

“Really?” Dahee looks into him suspiciously. “You have a weird habit”

 

Baekhyun was almost caught by her on the spot but the guy have a better excuse when he said eventually he was about to go to convenience store but stopped by as he spotted her came out from the building. She did buy his excuse, but what Dahee don’t know is it has been 15 minutes since he wait outside.

 

He should have be a normal Baekhyun and leave the place straight away out of embarrassment but what he did next caught her off guard. Instead of moving away, he approached her and stand beside her looking out to the sky. Seems like he know that it will rain soon and he is ready to stay with her.

 

“Holly ” She alarmed. “It’s raining heavily!” If only Baekhyun listened to his roomate to bring an umbrella. Or maybe, he purposely don’t bring one.

 

“it’s pouring and my laptop is in my backpack so I guess I will stuck here for awhile” She said and waiting for his respond.

 

She’s not expecting him to stay but when she saw how heavy the rain is, Dahee suggested, “You will be drench if you go back now. I think the best solution is for us to wait under this tiny awning together”

 

Baekhyun not talking much as it was awkward enough for both of them and just made Dahee uncomfortable.

 

“Actually, you come here to see me right?” She asked him playfully, prompting for a conversation.

 

He nodded. “Yeah— and yah!” His voice raised, trying to run away from the topic. “What is that all about?” Not really getting his point, Dahee scrunched her eyebrows due to the confusion. At least, she got him talked.

 

“You work for the uni radio broadcast at night and keep aggressively dedicating songs to me” Baekhyun said confidently.

 

She chuckled. “It is uni radio broadcast, how you so confident that all the songs I played dedicated to you? I don’t even mention your name, right Baekhyun?”

 

“4th year Computer Science faculty senior, soccer captain, cute barista, the handsome one—“ He provided the list as a proof.

 

“Hold on, Mr Byun” She teased, “You think you are the handsome one? Funny”

 

“Then who? Taeyong? No you rejected him. Sehun? He is not even here—“ Baekhyun then paused when she shrugged. “He is your ideal type isn’t?” Unknowingly, he did sound like a detective.

 

“Tall, easily make you flustered. But remember last time I tried to be close with you but you had asthma attack! You are being bias aren’t you” He said annoyingly.

 

Still not giving chance for her to speak, he added. “Do you like him? Sehun, do you like him?”

 

“No I don’t” Dahee answer is sincere and clear. Baekhyun should have not ask her that when the answer is too obvious. “But he’s handsome and just for your information, I like handsome guy”

 

There is a moment silent as she dropped the bomb with her answer along with the sounds of rain that finally stopped. Baekhyun found that there could be two option in her answer.

 

Bad thing, she do acknowledge that Sehun indeed such a handsome guy. Good thing is she said she don’t like Sehun— meaning that if Baekhyun could decrypt her sentence, it another way she was saying she still like him.

 

“It seems like the rain has stopped. Let’s go back, I will send you to your dorm” He broke the silent, but lowkey feeling happy that he got the answer.

 

“It’s okay Baekhyun, I can go back on my own” Dahee just don’t want to trouble him, but of course Baekhyun had to rejected.

 

He titled his head to the direction of their dorm and lead the way, “Nonsense. I will never let you walk alone during this time. Ah come on, Dahee!” He whines. “It’s so cold, let’s go back already”

 

Baekhyun might have her answer. But then, he have a new question for him. Why would he feel jealous at the first place?

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Happy birthday, my favourite Oh Sehun ❤️

Don't forget to comment, subscribe and vote this story. Much appreciated  :)