「29」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"After I graduate, I'll leave this town, Mrs. Han," he immediately wiped a single tear trickling his eyes.

"And never come back."

 

 

 

Mrs. Han smiled sadly, deciding not to say anything at the moment as she knew Heechul was yet to tell her everything, only stalling to prepare his heart. This information didn't really surprise her because Heechul had given his hints even before he went to college, and Sungmin ever slipped his mouth about this thing too. But she was glad that Heechul told her himself because she wanted to know why.

 

 

 

"I've been thinking about this for so long. I'm sorry for not telling you."

Heechul's voice got slightly hoarse, emotions stuffing his chest.

"I'll go to another province and start a new life. My band with Yesung and Kyunghoon was already offered a contract by a label. We're leaving as soon as we graduate."

Mrs. Han hummed and attempted to ask, "And why never come back?"

Another tear rolled down his face as Heechul closed his eyes.

"I've had enough living here, Mrs. Han. I will always be reminded by my dark phase if I continue living here. I'm tired. I want a new life, a new me. I want to chase my dream and be happy."

 

 

 

Heechul might not know it, but Mrs. Han knew better. There was something in the way Heechul explained that was laced with not only hatred, tiredness, but also hopelessness. He sounded like he was in a bind, unable to break the trap he was in. And it was not about what he wished for.

"Then go ahead, Chul-ah. It's your dream so I won't hold you back."

Heechul suddenly got up and hugged his knees, hiding his face. That was when Mrs. Han knew her instinct was right. There was something more than what Heechul had said that bothered him.

 

 

 

"Heechul-ah, leaving the town... That's— that's what makes you happy, right?"

There was no clear response because Heechul only sobbed harder. Mrs. Han sighed and turned to the kids when he noticed Donghae was looking at their direction, not minding the toys the other kids gave him. The boy's stare was at Heechul, and judging from his look, she knew he was worried.

And that was when everything finally clicked in.

 

 

 

"Have you finally found what's been missing in your life, Chul?"

Mrs. Han couldn't peel her eyes off the toddler, smiling to tell that everything was okay. From her peripheral, she could see Heechul raised his head. She, then, continued.

"And you're frustrated because you don't know what to do?"

Heechul forced out his question, "What d-do you mean?"

Mrs. Han turned her head to the crying man and beamed.

 

 

 

"You've fallen in love."

 

 

 

Heechul bit his lip strongly as he couldn't stop his tears from falling. He knew what he'd been feeling all along but when someone said it out loud, he was overwhelmed. He never felt like this and honestly, he preferred to never feel like this.

He was lost.

 

 

 

"You've fallen in love with a family."

 

 

 

His heart was crushed. There was a knot in his guts that kept twisting painfully for each word Mrs. Han uttered. He weakly sat straight and someone suddenly threw himself at him. Donghae, already in tears, hugged him tightly and sobbed in his embrace. He could hear the crack in his heart, breaking into pieces.

 

 

 

"Maw... N-no cwying."

His hold tightened as he found himself calmed down by being close to Donghae. He showered Donghae's hair with kisses because at the moment, he couldn't say a single word. He looked at Mrs. Han, crying for help because he swore he never felt so helpless like he was right now.

But she only smiled.

 

 

 

"You may hate the rain today because you can't play outside but... Later, maybe you'll love the rain because it gives you comfort. And to change what you believe is totally fine because people grow and learn."

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyuk, have you done your homework?"

"Yes, Daddy. I've finished it earlier."

 

 

 

Jungsoo glanced at the living room and beamed a little. The kids were sitting on the carpet, crowding their Maw, as Heechul was busy writing his final paper. He sighed and poured the coffee he'd brew earlier into two cups. Strolling to the living room, he quietly sat on the couch, putting down the drinks on the table.

"Coffee," Jungsoo simply said when Heechul noticed his presence and frowned upon seeing the cup. The younger cast him a smile and uttered his thankfulness.

 

 

 

Jungsoo lazily surfed the channels on the television while occasionally stealing a glance at his student. Admittedly, Heechul looked quite cute when he was being focused like this. But of course, he was cuter when he whined, frustrated with the assignment. His smile sneakily appeared as he found Heechul more amusing to look at than the television. His student would, at times, puffed his cheeks and poked them with his pen; or he would chew his lower lip and knitted his brows when he was seemingly thinking hard; or he would brush his hair up when he looked down to write something and his bangs fell on his face.

 

 

 

Unconsciously, Jungsoo bent his body upward, sitting close behind Heechul, and ran his fingers on Heechul's thick mop. He felt his student stiffened but he couldn't stop.

"Your hair is already quite long."

Jungsoo tucked a few strands behind Heechul's ear and sighed, not knowing that his kids were observing what he was doing.

"Don't you want to cut it?"

Heechul hesitantly looked back and shook his head, unable to return the tender gaze his professor had on him.

"I like it this way."

"But it disturbs your activities. Clear your bang from your face, at least."

"I don't have—"

"Ah!" Hyukjae suddenly exclaimed and rushed to get his bag. He was back with some hair ties in his hands and grinned as he sat, now beside his Daddy on the couch.

"I had a handicraft activity yesterday."

 

 

 

Heechul chuckled, examining the hair ties on his palm. He was about to tie his bangs up when Jungsoo suddenly snatched the hair tie and leaned clos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter