「34」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, the truck went like whoosh—Oh, Maw!"

Hyukjae beamed wider when he saw who was coming to join them. He immediately pulled the chair beside him for Heechul to sit and was satisfied when the latter did.

"Daddy made pancakes today. You should—"

"Hyuk, Daddy will wait at the car with Hae. Finish your breakfast and go to the car immediately."

 

 

 

Heechul was yet to say a thing. He was only there with his overwrought face but his professor had taken a step farther from him. It pained him.

But wasn't it what he wanted?

To have Jungsoo slowly unlove him?

 

 

 

"G-good morning," Heechul managed to utter a second before Jungsoo completely left the room. He knew his professor heard it. And he also knew why his greeting was one-sided. He unenergetically transferred a stack of pancake into his plate but even it did look delicious, he had lost his appetite.

 

 

 

"Maw."

Ah right, he was not alone in the room so he should never let his emotions take over.

"Yes, Hyuk?"

Hyukjae suddenly got off his chair and approached Heechul. He hugged his Maw tightly and mumbled.

"Are you and Daddy fighting?"

Heechul inhaled deeply.

"No, we're not fighting."

"I'm not a kid, Maw. I'm a big boy. I know you're not talking to each other."

 

 

 

Heechul smiled sadly and pried Hyukjae's hands off his form only to hold them. He brushed Hyukjae's hair from covering his face and slowly explained.

"Maybe I did something wrong that your Daddy is mad at me. But we'll be okay soon. Don't worry, big boy."

Hyukjae blinked his tears away and looked at Heechul. He was so afraid that he would lose someone he loved again.

 

 

 

"But Maw... How are you going to be okay again when you're not even talking to each other?"

 

 

 

An exact hit. 

Heechul never expected that Hyukjae would break down his and his professor's problem into the simplest equation. They were not talking to each other nor did he think they would ever after what happened last night. So, why would he expect to leave with a solved problem?

 

 

 

"I will—"

"Park Hyukjae. What took you so long? We're running late."

Hyukjae hurriedly finished his milk and rushed to leave the room. However, he was still able to ask Heechul.

"Maw, can you pick me up today?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

The park was busy, as usual.

They were stopping by the ice cream store, as usual.

Hyukjae was holding his hand, as usual.

What made it different was the fact that he was unable to feel the soothing atmosphere like he usually did. The joy of being with his little boy betrayed him if not the other way around. His mind was a chaotic mess since last night and what happened this morning did not help at all.

 

 

 

"One strawberry sorbet and one cappuccino, Uncle."

Hyukjae bravely placed the order copying what Heechul usually did. The waiter put down the list and beamed before he walked away. It was about time that Heechul praised him for being a big boy but his Maw was still dazed, lost in his thoughts.

"Maw."

Hyukjae timidly tapped Heechul's hand.

"Are you okay?"

 

 

 

Heechul snapped at the boy and immediately sobered. He was about to explain himself but their order outdid his speed. He inhaled deeply and thanked the waiter. The moment his eyes landed on his cappuccino, his eyes began to sting. He traced his fingers on the small handle of the cup and swallowed the hard lump on his throat.

Would he miss the bittersweetness?

Or would he miss the memory it brought?

Or both?

 

 

 

"Maw, do you not like it? I'm sorry I —"

"I love it, Hyuk. Thank you, Sergeant, for ordering it for me."

There it was—the appraisal. But Hyukjae surely sensed it was off. His eyes followed his Maw's movement and the older suddenly took something from his bag.

"Hyuk."

Heechul clutched the thick materials under his palms tightly because even though it was not his goodbye, it was as painful.

 

 

 

"I have something to tell you."

 

 

 

All night long he had been pondering whether it would be mean to tell Hyukjae about his departure. And he came to the conclusion that it would hurt both ways. So, he decided to prepare his kid rather than suddenly vanishing and leaving so many excruciatingly unanswered questions.

 

 

 

"What is it, Maw?"

Heechul had no heart to begin when the smile Hyukjae had as he savored his ice cream looked so pure. But he had to.

"You know that I'm no longer a student, right? I've graduated."

"Umm."

"And what do people usually do after graduating?"

Hyukjae made a thinking face and replied nonchalantly, "Working."

"Exactly. You're so smart."

 

 

 

Heechul gathered his courage and braced himself to break the news.

"Maw is also going to work."

"Like Daddy?" Hyukjae cut off.

Heechul smiled; this kid looked up to his Daddy a lot. Jungsoo was so lucky.

"Sort of. But..." Heechul gulped.

"I have to leave you in order to work."

Hyukjae abruptly stopped his eating and stared at Heechul all scared. He kicked out his chair and ran around the table towards Heechul, throwing himself into his Maw's embrace.

 

 

 

"Why Maw? Am I naughty? Am I—"

"Hyuk. Listen, Sweetheart."

Heechul pulled Hyukjae to sit on his lap and although he was not as light as Donghae, he did not mind.

"You're my sweet, adorable angel. You're my big boy. I'm leaving because I have to chase my dream. Do you have a dream you want to achieve?"

Hyukjae clung onto Heechul and nodded weakly.

"What is it, Hyuk?"

"I wanna be like Daddy."

Oh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter