「40」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note

Greetings! This is sleepyhead1399. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for reading, subscribing, upvoting, commenting, appreciating, and most importantly for accompanying me through the journey this fic offers. It was not all a smooth road and I several times almost gave up in writing it, but thanks to you, I gained my confidence and overcame my problems. It may be just mere fanfic but writing fics always helps me deal with my anxiety and thus, I always cherish each of fic I write including this one.

Again, my writing is not perfect and so is Lost Piece. Yet, I'm glad that you stay with me until it ends. It's always bittersweet to mark a story complete but I hope we can meet through my writing in other opportunities. Lastly, I hope, you'll get more than only enjoyment in reading this fic. I'd like to hear what you think of this fic so your comments are highly appreciated. Now, please enjoy the last chapter of Lost Piece and, until next time, you!

Love, sleepyhead1399. ♡♡♡

 

 

Almost a month had passed. The fall was ready to greet the summer at the end of the season. He wished the fall granted him some courage; he wished he were not a coward. Easier said than done, coming back turned out to be a task beyond his reach. The moment he landed back here, all his bravery poofed into thin air. Even to bring his feet to leave the Airport, he needed help, let alone going back to his home—if he could still call it home. 

He had psyched himself, he had done it all. But to meet their faces again, he knew he would feel like a fool, if not a sinner. He was embarrassed, ashamed for going back on his words. Had he known that leaving only fed his ego while slowly killing him, he would have stayed, even if no one asked him to. But his shame of this matter—going back after gaining nothing—could not rival how mortified he was to ever lie.

 

 

 

He was a liar; he always was.

He lied to Mrs. Han about his actual job.

He lied to Mrs. Park about their marriage.

He lied to Hyukjae and Donghae about who he was.

And... Until the last time he saw him when he had the chance to tell his real feelings, he still chose to spew bull. It would have been easier if he was not worried about how people were going to judge him, and followed his heart. But he was a fool. He was a fool until he tasted his own medicine. He finally accepted that he had swooned over when everything was already late.

At least—what he always said to assert his heart—he did not want to lie to himself. At least, he was being honest that he did love his professor.

 

 

 

"Hyung, let's get some lunch."

Heechul was pulled back from his train of thoughts when Ryeowook suddenly barged in the employee's room, already taking off his name tag and apron.

"I... I can't," Heechul mumbled, folding his own apron nicely and put it in his locker. He heard Ryeowook sigh and it was not a surprise that for the goddamn time, Ryeowook still had the bravery to confront him.

"You're going to see them, aren't you? You're gonna go to your kid's daycare and hide behind trees, being all caitiff. Say that I'm wrong, Hyung."

No—Ryeowook was right. He was so right that Heechul could not rebate a single thing, not like he was going to anyway. He had been hearing Ryeowook calling out his bad traits ever since the younger picked him from the Airport and offered him a place to say. And Ryeowook had been nothing but being a really good friend. And he was still one—telling him that he should have enough of watching his Angels from afar without having the guts to show up and say that he regretted to ever leave.

 

 

 

"I can't, Wook. I—"

"You can, you just don't want to."

Heechul had to clench his teeth listening to Ryeowook's harsh comment. But it was expected. If he were Ryeowook, he would have also been fed up with how indecisive he was.

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

Pulling down the hoodie he was wearing, Heechul began to curse himself for dying his hair blonde as it attracted unwanted attention. And that was the last thing he wanted now. He had to stay hidden, unnoticed for God knew how long, he was not sure. Thankfully, the weather was pretty chilly so he had a pretty valid reason to wear such thick clothing.

"He's late," he whispered to himself when he noticed that it was already ten minutes since the usual time his professor would always fetch Donghae. He smiled bitterly, staring at nothing in particular when the day he first met them again after he came back flashed through his mind.

 

 

 

That day, he was hurt, brokenhearted. Funny that he wished his professor was not doing okay without him on his side. It was foolish for him to ever dare to imagine the family would collapse when he left. Because when he saw his professor was doing just fine, the kids all cheery like usual, it pained him. It was a big slap to him. When he thought he had been waited for here, oh, how he was so ing wrong. And for the same reason, he had lost his confidence to ever walk to them and show how pitiful he was. His presence never mattered since day one.

And just like what he finally admitted, he, now, could only pathetically follow them like a shadow.

 

 

 

"Ah... He's finally there."

He was there; Jungsoo had arrived, parking his car in the spot that somehow became his favorite one. And today, Heechul dared himself to hide behind the nearest tree from the car. He missed them, so much that it hurt.

His smile peeked through when he saw Jungsoo was struggling to stop Donghae from going to the playground. Even when Hyukjae called his brother's name, the toddler was still persistent.

"Let him play, for God's sake," Heechul muttered loud enough for no one else but him. Without his realizing, his beam stretched wider, although his eyes screamed otherwise when Jungsoo eventually carried Donghae and jogged to the car.

 

 

 

"Maw!"

 

 

 

Heechul hurriedly shielded his body behind the tree when Donghae suddenly pointed at him and yelled his name. He was breathing through his mouth, calming his heartbeat that began to rise rapidly. His vision immediately became blurry as tears pooled in his eyes.

Donghae saw him.

And hearing his Angel calling him again, he was drenched, dancing under the rain.

His longing to be with them doubled, tripled but even so, he could not bring himself to meet them. And his tears finally fell when he heard the engine starting as Jungsoo's car drove off, passing right in front of where he was hiding. His eyes could only follow the car speed off the busy road, leaving him alone with great remorse.

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyung."

Ryeowook pushed the door open and found Heechul curling his body on the thin mattress he lent him to sleep on as he only owned one bed in this apartment. Gladly, he knew for sure Heechul did not mind. Moreover, when Heechul's mind was occupied twenty-four-seven with his only reason to come back.

"I've reheated the soup," he said simply and proceeded to pick up some stuff littering the floor. Accidentally, he saw a piece of Polaroid photo beside Heechul. He glanced at his friend briefly before he climbed up on the window seat, leaning against the frame. He inhaled deeply, staring at the picture of a seemingly happy family. He was there that day—the day when Heechul's smile looked the prettiest. Looking back to the motionless lump on the floor, eyes empty looking at his toes, he was irked to once again confront him.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter