「15」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was just rising higher but Heechul had finished all his classes for today. He was planning to meet his friends to discuss his solo song but he hadn't met nor contacted them yet. As he walked down the long alley to the main gate of his college, his eyes unconsciously glanced at the lecturers' room hoping to catch a glimpse of something or rather someone he wasn't sure of. 

 

 

 

Shaking his head to erase the thought he should never have in the first place, he was fishing out his phone in his bag when he suddenly bumped into someone who immediately caught him before he stumbled.

It was him—the someone he wasn't sure of.

 

 

 

Jungsoo was dumbfounded when Heechul only stared at him, mayhaps still not recovered from the shock. It was ten seconds later when they both straightened their postures and he could finally see the redness on his cheeks.

"Sorry, Prof. Park. I need to go—"

"Wait a second. I..."

Jungsoo unconsciously grabbed Heechul's arm of which he immediately pulled his hand away.

"I... Can I ask you a favor?"

 

 

 

Heechul raised an eyebrow, already suspicious of what the favor was. However, his professor seemed not to be intimidated by his questioning look. Annoying.

"Can you pick up Hyuk from his school and then get Hae from the daycare? My mother has an agenda and I do too. I can't come and get them."

 

 

 

Heechul gulped secretly as the favor was actually not difficult but given his condition right now where he was supposed to meet his friends, it tore him. He couldn't simply object to the order because there would be no one to fetch Hyukjae and Donghae but on the other hand, his solo song needed a follow-up discussion. Quite long for him contemplating that Jungsoo began to notice his hesitation.

"If you can't do that, it's fine. I can ask Hyukjae to go to the daycare and stay there until I—"

"I'll do it," Heechul interrupted.

"You're... Sure?"

Heechul drew a long breath before he nodded assuredly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heechul shoved his phone back to his jacket pocket for God knew how many times after he failed to find the courage to phone his friends and tell them that he couldn't come. Leaning his body to the wall behind him, he looked up and stared at the clear sky, hoping it could also clear his mind. He smirked as a silly thought flashed that it would probably be nice if he had someone as bright as the sun;

to light every dark path he accidentally crossed;

to warm him from the cold.

 

 

 

However, his smile fell when he realized that the sun was a coward,

that would hide when the storms came;

and disappeared when the night called.

Just silly.

 

 

 

 

 

"Maw!!"

 

 

 

Heechul was pulled back from his wandering mind when a cheerful voice called his name—or maybe, his special name. His lips stretched into a wide beam when he saw Hyukjae waving at him excitedly. The boy ran full speed towards him and threw himself for a hug.

"Hey, buddy, how was school? Boring, ain't it?"

Heechul joked to which Hyukjae immediately agreed.

"It was! I can't wait to go to university like you so I can go to school whenever I want."

On the innocent misconception, Heechul only chuckled, ruffling Hyukjae's hair.

 

 

 

"Well, long way to go, Sergeant. You need to..."

Heechul, holding Hyukjae's hand tightly, began to walk down the street to go to Donghae's daycare as he narrated how long it would take for Hyukjae to get to the college. Their talk went smoothly because Hyukjae was a quick-witted boy—much to Heechul's liking— and they easily got along, talking about random stuff.

 

 

 

It was on the second T-junction when Hyukjae had his expression changed. Surely, Heechul sensed the distortion and sudden silence. Instead of saying he hated the awkward situation, Heechul had to say that he nervously intrigued by it. Hyukjae had to be up to something.

 

 

 

"Maw. Can I ask you something?"

There you ing go.

Heechul swallowed the lump on his throat as he hummed, trying to sound composed. And as expected, Hyukjae was just like him, never a verbal one; that he took forever to continue was the proof. Heechul didn't rush him because if Hyukjae was indeed anyone like him, urging him to speak was a blunder.

 

 

 

However, Heechul was amazed when Hyukjae was braver than him. The kid suddenly stopped and tugged his hand to follow him to sit on a bench in the middle of the park they were crossing. He complied, dead curious about what the boy had to say.

 

 

 

"Maw. I... Want to ask s-something."

The way Hyukjae stuttered made him nervous.

"Shoot."

 

 

 

Hyukjae gripped the straps of his small backpack, playing with his hanging feet. His stare never met Heechul's.

"Who are you?"

.

Please no.

 

 

 

Heechul mentally prayed that this question would not lead to the idea of who he was for Jungsoo.

"Who are you for Daddy?"

It was too late.

The bomb had been thrown when he was in his unready state. His mind went blank, having nothing to answer the kid's inquiry.

"What do you mean, Hyuk? I'm his student I've told you."

Hyukjae ducked his head and Heechul noticed his breathing became uneven. Damn, this boy was quite sharp.

 

 

 

"You can be h-honest with me, Maw. God hates liars and Daddy also hates it when I lie."

It was all too much for Hyukjae's child-mind to consider whether he had to bring up the topic of the forehead kiss. However, his Daddy's imaginary voice suddenly rang loud in his ears, reminding him that he should never meddle to adult's matter just like when his mother was still with them—that he would always be forced to stay in his room every time his parents were arguing. He sighed and erased his intention to ask about the kiss to Heechul because it was surely included in adult's matter his Daddy talked about.

 

 

 

"Why do you ask that?"

Heechul carefully dug further the reason why Hyukjae suddenly asked about this sensitive issue. Yet, he got no response and the boy seemed to be distressed. He let out a soft sigh and got up only to squat in front of the sitting kid.

"What do you want me to be?"

Hyukjae finally looked at him to which he cast a smile.

"I... I don't know."

"Hyuk, it doesn't matter who I am for your Daddy. As long as we have a good relationship, everything is fine."

 

 

 

Hyukjae stared at him blankly, mayhaps not understanding what he had just said and honestly, so did he. He himself was unsure whether it would be fine or what he said made any sense.

"Now, let me ask you. Am I your friend?"

Heechul was full of expectations. However, the response was unforeseen; Hyukjae shook his head.

"You're too old to be my friend."

Heechul didn't know whether to laugh or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter