「20」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heechul kept glancing on the kids, specifically the older one, in the back seat. He noticed that Hyukjae was being too quiet since he got off school. The usual cheery rambles of anything on the street were not present.

 

 

 

"Hyuk. Are you okay?"

 

 

 

The question caught not only Hyukjae's attention but also Jungsoo who was focused on driving. The professor cast a glimpse at his student and frowned, not understanding why Heechul suddenly asked whether his son was okay.

"What's wrong?" Jungsoo jumped in the conversation. The way Hyukjae flinched on his Daddy's question was left unnoticed by Jungsoo's fixed stare at the road but not by Heechul's eyes. He turned his body slightly and looked back at the boy.

"Hyuk? You can always tell us if something happens."

 

 

 

The tension suddenly rose as Hyukjae kept his mouth shut for too long, stalling by playing with the hem of his shirt. It made Heechul extremely worried so he tried again, using the same method he used the last time because apparently, Hyukjae always had difficulty expressing his feelings. As the housing area was nearing, Heechul unbuckled his seat belt and twisted his body so that he could hold Hyukjae's hand.

 

 

 

"Are you upset?" Heechul softly asked. The kid was hesitant at first but then he nodded.

"Is it because of us?"

Hyukjae shook his head weakly.

"Is it because of the lesson?"

Another sign of no. Heechul heard Jungsoo sighing lowly and he knew it was not going to be good. He just hoped that his professor wouldn't snap at—

"Did you fight with your friend, Hyuk?"

Heechul winced his body along with Hyukjae when Jungsoo asked, sounding nowhere near pleasant. And judging from the distressed look on the boy's face, the answer was obvious.

"Y-yes."

 

 

 

Before Jungsoo succeeded in bombarding his son with a bunch of questions, Heechul managed to stop his professor, giving Hyukjae time to calm down.

"Are you okay? Bruise or—"

"No. I punched him."

Heechul had to clutch his professor's arm with his other hand when the said man suddenly braked. Yet, he had no time to catch his breath when he noticed that Hyukjae had curled his fists, his eyes red and tears b his eyes.

 

 

 

"Park Hyukjae."

"Prof. Park, let's just talk about it when we reach home. Please."

Heechul rubbed Jungsoo's arm gently to tone down the dark aura emanating from his professor and thank the heaven for making Jungsoo listen to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Can I... Can I join the talk, Prof. Park? I promise I won't say anything."

 

 

 

After getting an affirmation nod from his professor, Heechul silently sat beside Hyukjae and wrapped his arms around the little boy, while Jungsoo was standing intimidatingly with his hands on his hips.

 

 

 

"Hyuk— Tell me honestly. What actually happened?"

"H-he mocked me. I don't like it."

"But, still. It's wrong to hit someone. What did he say to you?"

 

 

 

Heechul felt that Hyukjae began to tremble and his breath became unsteady. His own heartbeat rapidly rose because he knew that something must have been kept for too long inside Hyukjae's heart and it was a matter of time before the boy exploded.

 

 

 

"They said that I'm a kid without a mother."

Oh no, please no. Heechul's heart stopped beating.

"They said that Mommy left because I was a naughty kid."

Hyukjae's voice was shaking but somehow louder. The silence that came after was palpable and Heechul wished Hyukjae never finished his sentence.

 

 

 

"They said Mommy doesn't love us anymore."

"Park Hyukjae!"

 

 

 

Hyukjae slumped in Heechul's arms as Jungsoo rose his voice that even the student was frightened. All he could do was hugging the little boy moreover when he began to cry quietly in his hold. 

For each of the soundless sob, Heechul could feel the pain straight to his bone.

 

 

 

"Hyukjae, stop crying. Daddy doesn't like when you're being a crybaby—"

Heechul was taken by surprise when Hyukjae suddenly jumped from his seat, standing as sturdy as his father. And to his dismay, the kid dared to stare at his father with tears rolling down his face.

"You know why I punched him, Daddy?"

Jungsoo remained motionless, utterly shocked by the unexpected attitude of his son.

"Because everything he said is true!"

 

 

 

Hyukjae ran off to his room after causing the strongest blow to his father. Heechul muffled his gasp behind his palm seeing the scene before his eyes. His heart was crushed after knowing Hyukjae's reason because he knew how it felt—to be abandoned, unwanted. But his heart twitched even more painfully when Jungsoo suddenly dropped to his knees and breathed harshly, pulling his hair strongly.

 

 

 

And again, what Heechul witnessed was another man being trapped in his emotions. And ironic, Heechul saw Hyukjae in Jungsoo, because right now, he knew Jungsoo was punishing himself as an act of defining his feelings, just like what the first son usually did.

 

 

 

"Prof. Park?"

Heechul tried to call as gentle as possible but he knew better that it was no use. So, he wordlessly walked to Jungsoo and helped him to get up. And even though the tears were flooding his tear duct, Heechul knew all too well that Jungsoo would never let them fall.

 

 

 

"Breathe."

Heechul guided, his hand still holding his professor's arm. He didn't know why but the blank stare Jungsoo had looked as if he was needing his help. Sensing that maybe he could help by talking to Hyukjae and leaving Jungsoo to have some time alone, Heechul eventually released his hold.

"I'll talk to Hyukjae."

 

 

 

Heechul sighed and turned around to go to the kids' room. However, not even a step he took, Jungsoo suddenly pulled him and the next thing he knew, he was embraced, desperately. Jungsoo had his head buried on his student's shoulder as he tightened his hug. Heechul was stunned and honestly, he didn't know what he should do. He was afraid to make a decision and later to be hurt by himself. But seeing that his professor was this broken, he didn't have a choice but return the hug. He hesitantly wrapped his hands around Jungsoo's form and rubbed his back in a comforting manner.

 

 

 

"I'm here, Prof. Park."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter