「25」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good morning."

 

 

 

Heechul was stunned when Jungsoo casually greeted the moment he sat down, joining the rest in the dining table sans Donghae who was still sleeping in his crib. After gaining his poise, he smiled and nodded.

"Good morning."

 

 

 

He tried to crack his bones in discreet as his body felt a bit sore for he couldn't really sleep last night as Donghae kept whining when he stopped rocking him. But, what could he do? Seeing Donghae get so much better this morning paid off his laborious task. However, his sleepiness was long gone when Jungsoo suddenly put the toast on which he had spread jam to his plate like it was nothing. Well, for a married couple and although they were one, it was natural; but for them, it still sent butterflies to Heechul's guts. He glanced at his professor and found Jungsoo raise his brows, smiling at him. He didn't want to admit but the gesture made him blush madly.

 

 

 

"Oh God, look at you. I bet you're tired. I'm sorry that I couldn't help you much last night."

Heechul smiled to his mother in law in a way to tell that it was okay. After they arrived at home last night, Mrs. Park decided to stay the night. She was a great help in taking care of Hyukjae while he was busy with Donghae so he couldn't ask for more.

"That's fine, Mom. Thank you for your help."

"Ah, it's nothing," she dismissed Heechul's thankfulness with her hand.

 

 

 

"By the way, why are your books and clothes in the guest room? I saw them last night."

Red alert.

 

 

 

Heechul unconsciously snapped at Jungsoo and the latter did the same, exchanging a panicked look. They had no time to move Heechul's stuff and although there weren't many in the guest room, it could still trigger suspicion. And it unfortunately did.

 

 

 

"Oh, that... I often study in the guest room because it's quieter there."

Jungsoo couldn't be more relieved when Heechul managed to pull the brilliant reason as convincing as possible. They both finally could breathe when his mother seemed to buy his lie.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry that you have to take care of the family while you also have to finish your study."

Mrs. Park held Heechul's hand and smiled apologetically. Heechul was drowned in an ocean of guilt for doing all this pretense and lying to this woman. For the love and affection he got from his mother in law, he had to return it all with deceiving her with his wiles. He was the worst human ever. He didn't deserve all this sincerity.

 

 

 

"I'm doing what I can do, Mother," he said, no facade no lie, straight from his heart. He was indeed doing his best until the time he had to go.

"You're doing amazing. Don't get me wrong, but I think you're a great mother figure for the kids."

 

 

 

CLANG

 

 

 

All the adults were shocked when Hyukjae suddenly threw his cutlery on the floor. Heechul was gobsmacked as he saw Hyukjae's expression screamed nothing but fury. The boy was glaring to each and every person in the table, breathing harshly.

 

 

 

"Hyukjae," Jungsoo called his son, not a yell but very firmly that, in Heechul's opinion, it was more intimidating.

 

 

 

"I don't have mother," Hyukjae said, breaking everyone's heart with those words. Jungsoo couldn't utter anything as his tongue got caught for he didn't know what to say.

"Maw is not our mother."

 

 

 

Jungsoo startled everyone as he slammed his fork to the table. Hyukjae cowered in an instant but the glare didn't go away. Heechul knew that Jungsoo was close to snapping at his son if this tension continued. He just wished that Hyukjae wouldn't say anything anymore and make the situation—

 

 

 

"I don't need a mother! Mommy left us and—"

"Park Hyukjae. You are—"

 

 

 

Heechul abruptly got up from his chair and wrapped his arms around Jungsoo because he didn't want his professor to get worked up and yell at Hyukjae. And he didn't know what else could stop Jungsoo from willing down his rage other than by hugging him.

 

 

 

"Stop."

One thing that he didn't want was that Jungsoo would get angry at his son and regret later because in this case, everyone knew that Hyukjae was right.

 

 

 

Heechul heard Hyukjae pushed his chair and ran to his room. Just then, he finally released his hold on his professor. He looked at the older and silently pleaded not to take a wrong move on this matter. Jungsoo pulled out his hair harshly and grunted in frustration. And even in this state, that he knew Jungsoo could also burst at him, he was still standing close by his side, squeezing his professor's shoulders to show his support.

 

 

 

"Look what that woman has done to your kids."

Heechul cursed under his breath when, now, Mrs. Park decided that it was the right time to voice out her opinion. He felt Jungsoo's body stiffened. It was going anywhere but hell.

 

 

 

"I'd never agreed to your decision on marrying her but you were so stubborn, Jungsoo. I knew she was a snake. She did everything underhand and—"

"Mother stop!"

Jungsoo sighed in desperation. He knew that what his mother was right but he didn't need her to rub it on his face. He was still holding on the thin rope of the remaining love for her and having his mother called out his wife's wrongdoings triggered him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter