「23」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungsoo poured the coffee he'd just brewed into a mug and intended to bring it to his bedroom. Insomnia did not surprise him at all because, after what happened today, he knew he'd have tons of thoughts occupying his mind, and he did. He couldn't pick one out of millions of feelings towards his student. He was mad that Heechul pushed him to the edge yet again, but he was also relieved that Heechul managed to open his mind. It was assuring to know that his student did care about his kid but he couldn't deny that having Heechul calling out his wife's attitude really pissed him off. He knew what Heechul said was mostly true, but he had no heart to blame his wife.

 

 

 

After he flicked off the lamp in the kitchen, he traveled to his room, passing by Heechul's room whose door was ajar. He simply shrugged it off and went straight to his room until suddenly he heard faint rambles coming from his student's bedroom. He was suddenly feeling anxious about his student's wellbeing and it worsened the closer he got to the room, and the clearer the screams became.

 

 

 

"No, please... It h-hurts."

Nightmares?

"D-don't... He didn't do it. Please."

 

 

 

Jungsoo creaked the door open and his eyes immediately landed on Heechul's restless body on his mattress. His fists were gripping the sheet strongly as he threw his head left and right, eyes shut ever so tightly. Jungsoo hurriedly came beside his student and crouched down to assist him, although he honestly didn't know how. It was the first time he saw Heechul looked this helpless, and desperate, and scared. 

He was a mess.

 

 

 

"Hey. Wake up."

Jungsoo tried to tap Heechul's cheek lightly with the back of his hand but Heechul was still battling in his sleep, ignoring him. He tried to shake his body but the result was still the same. Finally, he put down his coffee cup on the nearby table and, after gathering his courage, he slipped his hands under Heechul's body and tried to make him sit, he hoped it worked.

 

 

 

"Please wake up. I'm here. Open your eyes."

Heechul suddenly clung onto him that he almost fell on top of his student. He was stunned for a moment before he eventually circled his arm around his student's form and tried to calm him down.

"H-hee—"

"Don't go. Please."

 

 

 

Jungsoo did his best to comfort Heechul; his hand was settled on his student's waist and the other one was patiently Heechul's hair. They stayed like that for quite a while until Heechul was finally quiet, his breathing slowly becoming even again. But Jungsoo didn't have any intention to leave him alone. Simply, because Heechul asked him not to go. Just when he thought Heechul was fast asleep, he was wrong. The body he hugged tightly began to tremble as silent sobs reached his ears. Heechul was crying.

 

 

 

"I'm here. Don't worry, I won't leave you."

Jungsoo tried to wipe Heechul's tears away but the latter kept on hiding his face. He sighed and attempted to pry Heechul's body off him so that he could look at him but Heechul, instead, pressed his body to him even more. He gave up.

 

 

 

"Nightmares?"

Heechul nodded weakly as he forced out his words, "I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"To be like this."

"That's fine."

 

 

 

After another eternity, Heechul, at last, released his hold on Jungsoo and hugged his knees tightly, resting his head on them. Jungsoo didn't budge, though, nor did he inch away.

"I knew it'd be like this," Heechul whispered, surprising Jungsoo.

"Like what?"

"This."

Jungsoo smirked as he shook his head a little, ruffling Heechul's hair gently as he said, "I can't read your mind."

 

 

 

Heechul turned his head to face him and stared blankly at him, letting his hand stay in his head.

"I already knew that I'd be having nightmares tonight."

Jungsoo brushed his thumb on Heechul's sideburns, returning the gaze as tender. He noted that Heechul didn't hate his gesture.

"And why so?" He was genuinely curious.

"I've told you, right? I usually have nightmares when I'm stressed, or tired, or having something bothering me."

"And which one are you now?"

"All of them. I knew that opening up about what happened to Kibum would trigger my nightmares."

 

 

 

Jungsoo frowned, "Why did you do that, then?"

On Jungsoo's question, Heechul's pupil shook a little. And the answer never came. Thankfully, his professor seemed not to mind it as he nodded understandingly.

"I'll go back to sleep—"

"Do you want to sleep in my room?"

 

 

 

A soft gasp escaped Heechul's lips when the offer caught him off guard. He looked at his professor and all he could see was Jungsoo's assuring smile. He knew he was probably going to regret it but for now, let him do what he thought was right.

"Sure."

Jungsoo laughed a little seeing Heechul stare at him with his big puppy eyes as he nodded.

"I mean, if... If that's okay with you," Heechul quickly added, embarrassed to even look hopeful.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter