「26」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The blocks of ice inside his drinks had melted, merged into the water as it was left under the sunlight for too long. The owner was too engrossed in scribbling some notes on the song sheet, not interested in gulping his beverage. Heechul strummed Yesung's guitar once again, trying to find a better note, mixing and matching up with his previous chords, to perfect his song.

 

 

 

"Does it sound better?"

Heechul requested a bit of advice as he turned to his two friends and played his new notes. The happy faces his friend showed reflected on his own. He put down the guitar and finally finished revising his solo track.

 

 

 

"Any suggestions for the title?"

Heechul sipped his watery drink and took a last look on the sheet before he kept it safe in his bag.

"Well, send us a copy of your lyrics so we can understand the meaning better."

Heechul nodded on Yesung's suggestion.

 

 

 

"I can't believe we're getting there," Kyunghoon stated out of the blue, looking at both of his bandmates. On that, Yesung asked, confused with what his friend implied, "There as in?"

"Our dream," Kyunghoon breathed, lingering his gaze especially at Heechul. The older should feel the same excitement, the thrill of taking a step closer to what he and his friends always wanted—the life they longed for. But unknown to him, Heechul's heart suddenly felt stuffy imagining that life—the life without his two little angels.

And without him.

 

 

 

"I know right. I couldn't forget the day when that label gave us the contract. It still feels surreal, even until now."

Yesung added, apparently on the same boat as Kyunghoon in seeing this matter. And it was just right that Heechul should jump into the sentimental situation; to also say how happy he was since the time they would meet the producer was slowly approaching. However, before he managed to utter anything, his phone buzzed as a call came in. He quickly grabbed his phone, lowkey relief that he could dodge the pressure, and looked at the caller ID.

Mrs. Park?

 

 

 

"Hello, Mother?" Heechul casually greeted, unaware of the strange look his friends gave him on the mention of the word they thought would never come out of Heechul's lips, Mother.

"Heechul sweetie, where are you now? Are you done with classes yet?"

"Yes. I'm catching up with my friends now. Is there anything you want me to do, Mom?"

 

 

 

There was a rustle on the other end and Heechul only waited. A few seconds later, Hyukjae's voice reached his ears.

"Maw?"

Heechul's face instantly lit up and once again, he missed the questioning gaze from Kyunghoon and Yesung.

"Hey, Hyuk. How's school?"

"Gweat, Maw."

Even without seeing it in person, Heechul knew Hyukjae was talking with a mouth full of food.

"You're having lunch with Grandma? Is Hae also there?"

"Yes! We're going to buy a present for Daddy."

Heechul frowned, "Why? Is it a special occasion?"

"Eh? Today is Daddy's birthday."

 

 

 

Holy Mother of Lemonade.

 

 

 

"Let's join us, Maw. I'll ask Grandma to send you the address."

Heechul abruptly pulled Yesung's hand towards him and twisted his wrist to check the time on his watch. He could still make it.

"Ah, I'll actually go and find the gift myself. See you at home, Hyuk."

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh, crap. Is it baking powder or baking soda?"

Heechul frustratedly flipped the small sachet of unknown thing that had the word "baking" on it. As he winced his eyes, trying to observe the packaging to look for the word he searched, he mentally cheered when he was finally sure it was baking powder—the thing he needed. He glanced back at his phone screen to match the ingredients listed on the online recipe with the stuff he bought from the store earlier.

 

 

 

"Butter... Butter..." Heechul went through the items in front of him to find the—

"Butter!"

He exclaimed, holding the butter up in the air.

 

 

 

"Butter?"

Heechul snapped at the new voice and smiled upon seeing Mrs. Park strolled to the kitchen, bringing two big shopping bags and put them on the dining table.

"Butter," Heechul grinned sheepishly and put the butter down. Just then, two familiar mops attacked him, throwing themselves to cling onto each of his legs. Heechul couldn't help but laugh as he tried to move his feet but these two rascals added the weight of the gravity.

"Hyuk. Hae. Let me go!"

Heechul attempted to bend down and swoop Donghae's body from the ground but it turned out that they ganged up against him as Hyukjae protectively held his brother. Heechul eventually gave up and ruffle their fluffy hair.

 

 

 

"What are you making, Sweetie?"

Mrs. Park asked as she poured a glass of water and sat on the barstool.

"Ah... I'm planning on baking a birthday cake for Prof. Park," Heechul shyly admitted, scratching the back of his head. Mrs. Park beamed widely.

"Really? That's cute. Do you bake?"

On that, Heechul chewed his lower lip and shook his head in embarrassment.

"N-no. I don't cook let alone bake. And that's the problem."

 

 

 

Mrs. Park laughed ticklishly which made the kids joined the laughing fit, making Heechul's cheek tinted with a deep shade of red. He glared jokingly at the kids and pouted even harder and just as he expected, the kids turned into balls of hysterical laughter.

"Oh, sweetie. I actually wanna help you but I have to go now. I have an appointment with my doctor."

Mrs. Park suddenly got up and gathered her things. Heechul was alarmed.

"Doctor? Are you okay, Mother? Are you not feeling—"

"I'm fine. It's just a regular check-up. I'll drop by to have dinner together tonight if I'm done with my agendas. I can't wait to taste your cake—"

"Motheeer."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter