「11」

Lost Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But, what he hated the most was when he saw the crowd created a space for a person to get closer. This particular person was the last man he wanted to meet.

Because, when his professor eyed him with the dark gaze sending shivers all over his skin, he knew he was doomed.

 

 

 

Let this only be a dream—Heechul had been chanting the mantra over and over again inside his head because he was crazy frightened. To even meet his professor's eyes, he dared not to. All he could see was his professor's shoes getting closer and closer to him along with the time he would face his fate. Tears were already pooling in his eyes from all the humiliation but what shook him the most was the fact that his professor would also be affected.

 

 

 

Heechul tried to move and support his body to stand up when his right hand accidentally pressed a piece of glass that ripped his skin, stuck in his palm. His shriek came in throaty and very low that no one would even notice except those who stood close to him—that person was Jungsoo.

 

 

 

"Don't move."

 

 

 

Jungsoo squatted in front of Heechul and immediately pulled out the splinter, leaving Heechul's scar bleeding. He wordlessly took off his tie and wrapped it around Heechul's palm tightly to prevent any more blood oozing out. Heechul was scared and he couldn't deny it because his trembling hand was very noticeable, at least for Jungsoo.

 

 

 

"Can you get up?"

 

 

 

Heechul nodded weakly, not even lifting his face to look at his professor. He tried to heave his body but a sharp pain in his left ankle zapped his energy. He stumbled forward and fell in the embrace of his professor. Never did he ever feel so upset by his own stupidity more than he was right now.

 

 

 

"Sirs, p-please forgive me for my recklessness. I should have been more careful. If there's something I can do to redeem my mistake—"

"Call a taxi."

Jungsoo cut off the server shortly. 

 

 

 

He was aware that they were drawing attention to probably half of the people of the event, creating an unnecessary scene. Having had enough, he lifted Heechul's body and carried his student bridal style leaving the room. Just then, he finally realized how nervous Heechul was as the student straightly clung onto him.

 

 

 

"S-sorry, Prof—"

 

 

 

 

 

 

»»————- ♡ ————-««

 

 

 

 

 

 

Messaging his temple to ease his headache, Jungsoo eyed his left and sighed when he saw the curling ball-shaped man remained in the same position since they got in the cab earlier. Except Jungsoo's giving the address and instructions to the driver, there were no more sounds on the vehicle, dead silence. 

 

 

 

Feeling that the tension only worsened his stress, he tried to open a conversation, not hoping Heechul would respond because even the driver probably knew his student wouldn't. Yet, he tried it anyway.

"We have to take a cab because we can't simply use the car from earlier since Mother and Kyuhyun are still there."

The lump did not budge. Jungsoo started to think that what was beside him was an inanimate thing.

"How's your leg?"

Dumb of him thinking that the response would be different. Getting no answer, Jungsoo sighed audibly and leaned on the car seat, already giving up on coaxing Heechul.

 

 

 

The silence stayed longer than he predicted because even after the familiar neighborhood was already in the sight, Heechul was the stubborn man that he was, unmoving. He was no longer interested in talking to his student because what he wanted now was to get home as quickly as possible. However, the realization just hit him when the taxi stopped right in front of the gate.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Sir. It's already past 10 PM so I think any public vehicle isn't allowed to enter."

 

 

 

Jungsoo mentally face-palmed himself for being too rushed and didn't reckon this far. Heechul abruptly snapped his head up and looked utterly panicked. Things were going out of hands tonight, luck leaving their side. Jungsoo affirmed the explanation of the driver and quickly paid for the fare. He helped Heechul to get down and was now faced with a reality that they had to walk quite a distance to reach his home.

 

 

 

"Can you walk?"

Heechul nodded confidently, surprising Jungsoo with his unexpected determination. He began to walk and albeit the constant pain in his injured leg, he forced himself to move, expectedly waddling.

 

 

 

Jungsoo, on the other hand, only observed his student, strolling leisurely behind him, as he was waiting for the moment when Heechul would no longer pretend to be fine and unable to bear with the pain. He kept shaking his head in disbelief as Heechul was seemingly unwavered, trying to walk with all his might. 

 

 

 

Jungsoo stopped, however, when he finally realized that Heechul was trembling from the chilly weather and most likely due to his soaked shirt. What happened next was unimaginable even for him. He impulsively took off his coat and jogged to keep up with Heechul's toddler walk. Without uttering any words, ignoring Heechul's searching eyes, he draped the coat over Heechul's form. As if it was not enough, his irrationality urged him to crouch down in front of his student and asked the bewildered man to hop on his back.

 

 

 

Heechul had his eyes widened as he was still trying to grasp what was happening. He didn't know what to do because Jungsoo said nothing up until now. Should he get on his back or should he—

 

 

 

"Hop on."

 

 

 

It was a simple order and nothing harmed him by complying with what his professor asked. Yet, it was as if he had to jump off the bridge because his heart suddenly raced uncontrollably, his adrenaline spurred. Everything was damned and he knew he should not feel this way. To prove that he was not affected, Heechul carefully got on Jungsoo's back and settled his arms flailing in front of his professor's chest, resisting the urge to hug him.

 

 

 

"I'm quite heavy," he shyly admitted, heat rushing in his face.

"You look like one," Jungsoo chuckled and seconded the statement.

Heechul huffed which his professor disregarded as they began to walk down the sidewalk.

 

 

 

It was nearly midnight and that might answer the question of why no one was passing by; it was only them and the night. Heechul's nose was tingled by the cologne his professor had, mixed with the musky body scent that if he was being honest, really calming.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter