Crossroads

Behind The Limelight

 

A/N: Before I proceed, I would just like to say sorry for the next few chapters. I know it’s kind of crap, but this is what my mind extracted. Hope you enjoy folks : ) 
 
I headed for Seoul first thing in the morning. I packed my things with me then left the house clean and in order. As I drove on the calm road, I realized how much I would miss this place, how memories of Si Won lingered in every special place I see, and how I moved on from the dark clouds of loneliness. But as I told myself, I’m only destined to move forward. Though leaving him at this point hurt both of us, I knew he’d understand.
 
The sun was rising up, bringing the promise of a good day. I wonder what my life would be when I’m back in the city. My mind jumped into that showbiz news about me that always tried to eat me up every night. How could I alter those? Will my book change the people’s perception about me? I don’t know, and I shouldn’t expect by now.
 
By nine in the morning, I arrived at my apartment. Eun Bi called me up asking if she could come here, but I told her to come at evening. I still need a lot of sleep. She gladly accepted it and hung up. After arranging my things, I headed to my room and fell asleep.
 
I woke up at five in the afternoon. I prepared myself an early dinner then took my bath. I’m expecting Eun Bi at six, and unfortunately, my heart raced inside my chest. Why was this happening? Was Hyuk coming here? I got hit by the need to prepare. I calmed myself and tried to think positively.
 
Four beeps of the doorbell sprang me up from my seat to open the door. Eun Bi wore a huge smile on my face and threw her arms around me. I gave her my warmest welcome and we both pulled away. Hyuk was standing outside, unable to make out a sentence to say to him.
 
“Come in.” I coldly said.
 
They waved off my offer for dinner because they’ve eaten earlier. Eun Bi sat beside me while Hyuk Jae occupied the seat across from us. Neither could start the talk so she made a good start.
 
“So, how’s life in Jinan?” she asked me.
 
“It’s fine. At least for months, I was able to wind down.” I said.
 
“Oh yeah. Your rest house there is still in good shape.”
 
Then after that statement, another roar of silence took place. I composed my thoughts to start the talking, and I could see Hyuk Jae doing the same thing.
 
“Hae?” he begun.
 
“Yes?”
 
“I’m sorry.” he said. I felt the sincerity in his voice, but I chose not to believe. He broke my heart, now I should demand for an explanation.
 
“How can you even say that? After everything you said, all that we’ve been through; do you know the loneliness I’m in?” I said. My voice rose a bit, trying to make him feel guilty. But I was surprised with the expression on his face. It was painted with rage and hurt.
 
“And don’t you know why I haven’t contacted you? Why I didn’t come back as I promised?”
 
I began to feel nervous about the things he’ll say. There was something lying under what he said. He didn’t contact me that night. The last time I saw him was the morning before he disappeared.
 
Fearing the answer, I asked. “Why?”
 
“Would you be surprised if I tell you it’s your brother’s fault?”
 
I froze. He’s lying. It’s obvious that he’s lying. I was sure Yoon Sung never approved my relationship with Hyuk, but causing trouble to break me was beyond my imagination.
 
“I don’t believe you.” I uttered.
 
He turned his head to the side and I saw a dark bruise on his jaw. It seemed like he was beaten up yesterday. I’m torn between believing him and convincing myself that it was all a lie.
 
“See this? He punched me when I saw him again after I escaped.”
 
“Escaped?” I asked. “How could it happen?”
 
Eun Bi spoke up. “When he didn’t come back that night, he was already kidnapped by Yoon Sung. He locked him up in his apartment and beaten up every time he tried to escape. Hyuk couldn’t contact you because your brother threw his phone away. And when he got out, he decided to come here.”
 
I felt weak to my knees. Hyuk didn’t give up on me and tried to reach me while I lived my life happily with someone else. Though I’m the one feeling guilty now, he officially broke up with me with the letter he sent me.
 
“If you only knew how many terrible nights I spent with him, how often he tells me he loves me and he’ll destroy you. He’s consumed with hatred, Hae. You’re the only one who can calm him.”
 
How can I? I don’t even know where he is.
 
Then suddenly, he took out stuffs from his bag. There were also a handful of documents.
 
“I had this jacket investigated and it was confirmed that Yoon Sung’s fingerprints were on it. This video camera contains the video of us kissing. He uploaded it on the internet.”
 
I was pinned in my seat upon hearing this. My brother, who I thought I knew was a kind person, was way too cruel. He ruined the reputation I built years for an unknown reason. I’m determined to find more about this and talk to him. All the questions I had in mind should be answered regardless of the circumstances.
 
“Where is he?” 
 
He shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe in his apartment or might be wandering somewhere else.”
 
I broke down into tears for the misery I’ve caused him. I was the reason for it, and just the thought of seeing him again hurts me. My brother. One thing that I felt for him was betrayal. He gave me the worst nightmare in my life, and I’m left with nothing but a hope that I could face him soon.
 
I rushed to my room and locked the door, leaving the two of them speechless.