The Match

Behind The Limelight

 

Hyuk Jae’s POV
 
 
I decided to hold the match at the soccer field of Damcheonri High. It was already eight in the evening and Si Won hadn’t arrived yet. I looked at my phone and the ball beside me. This was the only thing to get Dong Hae back to me. If I win this game, he’d be in my arms again.
 
“Hyuk.” Si Won said behind my back.
 
I turned and saw him in his sportswear. He prepared for this event, of the game which would determine where should Dong Hae belong.
 
“Let’s bring it on.” I said coldly. Yoon Sung’s revelations earlier were hard to get over with. He caused the trouble that complicated our lives, and I pity Si Won for being dragged along in this situation. I wonder how he could handle it lightly, when he’s the one who gets the least damage.
 
“Okay.” Then we went to the center of the field and put the ball between us.
 
“Remember, if you win, you’ll have Hae. If I win, he’s mine.” he said with confidence.
 
“As if you can.” I whispered to myself and started the game. I think he didn’t hear what I say, so I just let it pass.
 
I kicked the ball and eventually he strived to get some score for himself. I scored the most in the first and second quarters of the game, while he got his adrenaline rush at the beginning of the third quarter. His agility and speed never failed to amaze me. I taught him this game way back in high school and seeing him playing with me right now brings back the old times. But I have to remember that this is a game, and one should win.
 
And that should be me.
 
He scored in the third quarter, slowly trying to equal mine. But I’ve proven that he’s stronger. Without any rules imposed, he played the game cleanly and honestly, and in the fourth quarter, with the last strike of his foot, he claimed victory.
 
The game lasted for an hour. I lay on the ground with my arms spread wide, accepting my defeat. He held out his hand, but I refused to get up. Instead, he sat on the ground next to me.
 
“You told me I can’t win, but who’s defeated now?” he said and then chuckled. I never thought he heard my whisper.
 
“Yeah, and you can have him.” I managed to say despite the pain in my muscles. My gaze was fixed on the stars as I said those words, facing the reality that the man I love would be forever away from me.
 
“I’ll never hurt him, I promise.”
 
Along with the assurance lingering in Si Won’s voice was the intense pain overwhelming my heart. I should be accepting it by now, isn’t it? Why was it so hard for me?
 
“And promise me you’ll take care of him.”
 
He smiled. “I will.”
 
When he held out his hand again, I accepted it and got up. We walked our way outside the campus and settled down into an easy talk for the first time since he came here.
 
A/N: Sorry for the soccer part. I’m not a sporty person. But still, I hope you’ll stick to this story until the end. ;)