Into The Sun

Behind The Limelight

 

ONE YEAR LATER
 
 
It’s a new day, more than just a mere passage of another twenty-four hours for me. I’m doing something that would make me happy. Now that I’ve totally got out of the darkness, the past behind me have been long buried into the deepest part of the earth. As usual, I stood in front of the mirror again, not as the sad and wounded person, but as a bright, optimistic someone whose ready to spread happiness.
 
One year. It’s amazing how I lasted up to this day while going through those horrible moments. But as I refresh them, I felt a sense of worth and achievement. At the very least, I knew I never surrendered.
 
The day after I had those terrifying dreams, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. It was due to depression and my ever-changing emotions. While I was beginning to understand the reality of my sickness, Hyuk Jae woke up and paved his way to recovery. I wasn’t the first person he saw, and I hate myself for breaking my own promise. When he knew about my condition four weeks later, he visited in my room. I remember spending a lot of afternoons eating and talking with him. Eun Bi also came despite her busy schedule. There I knew the whole story about the accident. That Yoon Sung slipped out of the mental hospital unnoticed and hijacked someone’s car and phone, then texted Hyuk Jae to come. They even kissed and my brother said random things to him. I knew I should cry but that didn’t matter. He’s dead. I brushed the thought off and focused on my day to day recovery.
 
When I was discharged from the hospital, I was surprised because Eun Bi took care of everything. She sent my brother’s body to the crematorium and left the ashes for me to hold and keep. I watched her TV guesting and interviews online. She answered the intrigues for me, covered me up for the cameras and doing the things I should be taking care of. I felt so grateful that I almost hugged her to death. My token for her wasn’t even enough, just a giant cake for her wedding.
 
She got married in December with Min Yeong. I was her best man and the provider of the cake. Speaking of Min Yeong, he also helped us by leaking Yoon Sung’s video sharing account and deleted the clip he uploaded.
 
I’ve heard from Si Won again. He already put another branch of coffee shop in Jinan and proposed the plan of trying to build one here in Seoul. I said I’d try my best to help him with that. Min Ah graduated in high school with flying colors while he still continued to teach History and Music. And how we became friends again? We settled everything about us. The rest of the details are another story to tell. 
 
My novel was published and climbed up in the top of the bestseller’s list. During the book signing, I saw Han Ji Hyun, the high school girl who brought a cake for Hyuk Jae when we were taping ‘Shotgun Wedding’. I got so jealous at her that I didn’t even talk to Hyuk.
 
“Oppa, you look good.” she complimented while handing me her copy. 
 
“Thanks.” I smiled and signed it.
 
Much to everybody’s surprise, she kissed my forehead. I was touched and shocked about it, and people stared at her with various expressions written on their faces.
 
“Keep up the good work. You’re the bravest person I ever looked up to.” she said and smiled. The next day, she earned her spot on the headlines and became an object of envy of girls her age.
 
My career was back in its usual pace. I was slated to do a historical drama with Eun Bi, but we found out that she was two weeks pregnant. I had a different on-screen partner who was also my close friend in showbiz.
 
And finally, there’s no keeping of what we truly feel. I publicly announced that Hyuk and I are officially together. It’s up to the people’s perception and judgment on how they would see us. I never really cared of the outcome but mostly, we received positive reactions from our closest friends and netizens. I guess coming out was good for the two of us.
 
Now looking at Hyuk Jae sitting beside me on the couch while watching television, I knew I found my place in his arms. As I sat on the space provided, I felt perfectly happy.
 
I reached out my hand and played with his left ear. He moved away a bit because of the tickling sensation. I love to do this to him at times like these, when we’re perfectly alone without the cameras recording our every action.
 
“Hyuk, thank you.” I said.
 
He shifted his gaze at me. “For what?”
 
“For not giving up on me. Day by day, you’re always there. Even when I was down and can’t think straight, you were there to guide me.”
 
He gave me a quick peck on the lips.
 
“I did that because I love you. If I gave up on you, I might be as good as nothing.”
 
I chuckled lightly and with my other hand, I gently touched the scar on his forehead.
 
“I promise to take care of you and never let you get hurt again. I love you, Lee Hyuk Jae.” I said with all the emotions in my heart shooting to the top.
 
He grinned, and instead of saying ‘I love you too’, he pulled me in then sealed my mouth with a deep kiss.
 
 
THE END