I Want You Back

Behind The Limelight

 

A/N: To all EunHae lovers, you can kill me after this crappy chapter. :’( LOL
 
 
Hyuk Jae’s POV
 
After all the lies and hurt I endured, I think it’s time to rekindle my relationship with Dong Hae. We’ve been away from each other for so long, and I knew I still owe him a mountain of explanations.
 
I decided to meet up with him at our favorite restaurant. I’ve been waiting for almost ten minutes with him, but he still didn’t appear. I was about to call him up when I saw his figure walking down to the place.
 
He wore that poker-faced expression upon entering, and he smiled slightly at the sight of me. He took the empty seat across from me then stared out into space.
 
“Hae.” I started, though I don’t know where our conversation would go.
 
“What?” he responded then bore a pair of hurtful eyes at me. I couldn’t take looking at him because it reminded me that I’ve caused great damage to him.
 
“I’m sorry, for everything. I know I’ve hurt you but believe me, I never intended to do that. This is brother’s doing.”
He seemed to believe my story yesterday, but with the agonizing look in his eyes, he doesn’t buy my story.
 
“And then what? You’ll hurt me again just like before? Not anymore, Hyuk. I’ve had enough.” he said.
 
“Hae, you have to know one thing.” I said, talking about the piece of paper that’s with him.
 
“About the letter? Well, thanks. It’s the sweetest thing ever. I never thought you’d just give up like that.” he replied sarcastically.
 
“Please, listen to me. I want you back.”
 
He glared at me. “Don’t you ever dare want me back, Hyuk. I’m with someone better than you right now, and he’s coming here.”
 
I froze in my seat. I forced this to be a lie. What he said could never be true. We made our promises. That can’t possibly happen.
 
“W- Who is he?” I stammered. Just thinking of it kills me slowly deep inside.
 
“You’ll me him soon, so don’t worry.” he ended and stood up.
 
I bit my lip in frustration. I really hoped that if we see each other again, everything would be back to normal. But he already changed, and he’s just somebody that I used to know. Whoever that boy was, I’d make him pay for breaking my heart.
 
As he walked away, I knew in myself that I would never reach him. No matter how I tried to run to him, our distance got farther and farther. He’s beginning to shrink in my eyes, and as I reached out my hand, I only grasp the thin air.
 
The waiter snapped me back to reality.
 
“May I take your order, sir?” he asked.
 
“Just give me a glass of water.” I replied and he left me alone. 
 
 
Dong Hae’s POV
 
 
I read the letter again and again. Those words hit me so hard that it makes me hard to breathe. Seeing Hyuk Jae today was both a good and bad idea. I knew his side of the story, and now that Yoon Sung was out of reach, I believe him for that. It was bad, because I began to doubt my feelings for him. I could only muster it with cold treatment. I don’t know what to say to him after all this time.
 
After folding the letter and keeping it in my drawer, Si Won called me up. He’s better now and he told me about his plan of coming to Seoul.
 
“Really? When?”
 
“The day after tomorrow.”
 
A smile spread across my face. “That would be fine.”
 
I tried to sell my novel to three publishing houses, but only one gladly accepted it. They said they would just call me up if ever they planned to publish my book.
 
Si Won arrived at the date that he said, and instead of checking in to a hotel, I welcomed him in my home. He was finally feeling better after those bastards beat him up for no apparent reason. He liked the place a lot, and he usually helped in maintaining the area clean.
 
I set up another dinner and invited Eun Bi, Min Yeong, and most especially Hyuk Jae. I want them to meet Si Won and find out also where Yoon Sung is. They came as I expected. I saw Hyuk’s expression- a mix of surprise, confusion, familiarity, and a hint of anger. It’s like he wanted to kill Si Won right here and there.
 
We ate our food, and Eun Bi entertained Si Won by getting to know him more. Min Yeong joined in by asking him questions, and every time Si Won looks at Hyuk Jae, he wore that bright, optimistic smile. Hyuk repaid it with a slight smile, though they were very close friends in high school. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and deep inside, I felt a little guilty.
 
“By the way, Yoon Sung is at his apartment. He seems to be mentally disoriented. He always looks at an empty space and never talks to anyone.” Min Yeong said.
 
This struck me with a lightning filled with both worry and hatred. He deserved to be lonely, but he’s my brother, so I couldn’t help but be worried for him.
 
“Maybe that’s my effect on him after I escaped.” Hyuk Jae reacted. Everyone was silent, and soon he shut himself down.
I broke the ice. “Thanks. Can you go with me tomorrow? I need to talk to him.”
 
Min Yeong nodded. “Sure. There’s no problem to that.”
 
Eun Bi gave life to the rest of the dinner. At the back of my mind, I heard shouts and restlessness. I could make out Yoon Sung spitting harsh words at me, while on the other side, Hyuk Jae’s pleading voice haunted me.
 
I want you back.
 
 
Hyuk Jae’s POV
 
 
I was jealous. Damn jealous that I could have choked up to death if I wanted to, but it’s not the end of the world. I patiently waited for the whole dinner to finish then after that, I pulled Si Won away from them for a while and brought him outside. I carefully shut the door behind us.
 
“Hyuk, why did you suddenly bring me here?”  
 
I sighed. “I want to talk to you.”
 
He wore that calm and carefree expression. I loathed it a lot but ended up hiding it.
 
“About what?” His questioning eyes probed on me. The hopes of a warm high school reunion had been all washed out.
 
“Are you Dong Hae’s boyfriend?” The answer would surely break me again into pieces. He smiled at and in a proud tone, he answered.
 
“Yes.”
 
That really tore me apart. My joints felt weak upon absorbing the answer. I was completely out of the picture. I breathed out a big gulp of air and tried to keep my tears from flooding. Was he telling the truth? Or just playing around in Hae’s command?
 
“How could that be?” I whispered to myself.
 
“He loves me and I love him. That’s it, Hyuk. We love each other. He already accepted the fact that you and him are over.”
 
This even hurt me more. How could Hae do this to me? Because of that letter again? Damn.
 
“But I want him back.” I bravely said.
 
His voice turned firm. “And I want to keep him away from you. I know you’re my friend, but back off, Hyuk. He doesn’t love you anymore.”
 
My tone turned sarcastic. “Really? Are you sure?”
 
“Yeah. And that’s it.” he said and walked away from me.
 
I grabbed his arm and forced him to face me. “Watch out. I’ll bring him back to me.” I said.
 
“You watch out too, you’ll never get him back.”
 
“What do you really want?” I asked.
 
“I want a soccer match between the two of us. If you win, I’ll let Hae go for you. If I win, he’s mine forever. Deal with that?”
 
I was dumbfounded at what he said. Probably a soccer match would settle everything between the three of us. I nodded.
 
“Deal. And by the way, welcome back.” I ended and patted his shoulder.
 
On our way home, Eun Bi said something straightforward to me that hurt me a lot.
 
“You know Hyuk, you must find someone better. You don’t deserve Hae. He already moved on.”
 
“I know. I’m still thinking about it.” I said. But deep inside, though I was confronted by that fact, I want Hae back. I want him back.