Revealed

Behind The Limelight

 

I watched the last scene of our drama being played on the computer. Hyuk Jae sat beside me while he played with my fingers. It was a good one though, and it would be released five weeks later. The angle at which the scene was shot was just perfect.

“You’ve done a good work.” I praised and smiled at him as he turned to look at me.

“And I admit, I was jealous.” He said and smirked.

I lowered my gaze to avoid his eyes. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. It’s just work. At the end of the day, you’re mine.” he replied and kissed my hand. I felt butterflies in my stomach as he said those words. We sat there without saying a word at all, and when he kissed my lips to break the silence, I gave in to his electrifying touch.

 

Five weeks later the last episode went into broadcast. As usual, it garnered the highest ratings not just throughout Seoul but in whole Korea. All of us were happy about it, and SBS planned to air the drama in Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and Philippines. This would also be released in France and London.

Eun Bi and I guested on a live TV talk show. Fans were there to support us and loyal audiences of the show filled in the studio. When we walked to our seats, people were clapping and cheering at us. The host congratulated us for the success of the drama, and soon she began throwing questions.

“Go Eun Bi, did your boyfriend get jealous on Lee Dong Hae? You had a lot of cheesy scenes on your show.” she said.

Eun Bi smiled. “No, he didn’t. He understands that what goes on between Hae and I is just work and friendship.” she answered. “He’s also my best friend and I’m happy with that.”

The host turned to me. “Lee Dong Hae, a lot of girls have been asking this online.” she started.

I looked at the groups of fans when they shouted out “We love you, Dong Hae!”. I waved and smiled at them and returned to the host.

“Why are you still single?” she asked.

Girls were squealing after the question was asked. I was caught off-guard, but I have to be careful. This interview was airing nationwide, and millions of people were watching us right now.

“I’m waiting for the right one. She hasn’t come into my life yet.” I answered.

“And in case you’d settle down, will you marry Eun Bi?”

I smiled. “No, not Eun Bi, because she already has a boyfriend. But I’m looking for a girl like her.”

“As of this moment, are you dating anybody?”

“No.”

Girls squealed again. I couldn’t tell them I was dating Hyuk Jae. It would only crush their hearts down to the tiniest bit. I felt so lucky when the host cued for a commercial. At least now I could escape all the questions meant to be thrown to me.

 

So many things happened after our interview was aired. Our drama gained a large online following. Netizens have been requesting for part two, and some of them even made fanfics- either twisting the last few parts of the story or making their own sequel- usually out of the drama. The album for the official soundtrack was released, and in less than a week it climbed its way on the number one spot in the hit chart. The main OST was the number one most downloaded song in the internet for the past two weeks. Along with that, Eun Bi and I posed for the cover of High Cut magazine, with the wedding theme of course. The drama was also released in DVD box set, complete with English subtitles, and licensed for broadcast in United States.

“This is too much, but I like it.” Eun Bi said when we went out for coffee one fine day.

“That’s just a proof of how famous you are.” Hyuk Jae remarked and sipped a little of his cappuccino.

“Yeah, and how beautiful you are too.” I added.

“I know, right?” she grinned at us.

“Anyway, you said you’re going to London with Min Yeong for a vacation. When would that be?” I asked.

“The day after tomorrow. Actually, it’s not a vacation. Or slightly maybe. I have to visit my sister and take her here to live with me.”

“I see. Well, have a safe trip.”

“Thanks.” she said and winked at me.

 

It’s been three days since Eun Bi and her boyfriend left for London. She’s been calling me, telling me how beautiful the city is. She said she’s bringing me some souvenir.

“It’s okay. It would only create new gossip.” I said.

“I’ll give it to you without those cameras rolling.” she reasoned out. I laughed at her and turned my gaze on the TV. Suddenly, my phone dropped on the floor. I could hear her calling me through the receiver.

“Hae? Hae?”

I froze at the sight I’m seeing. It was headlined in the showbiz news that night about my relationship with Hyuk Jae, and a video was uploaded over the internet and became viral in 12 hours. Things happened so fast, and now rumors are spreading like wildfire throughout Seoul.

Tears rolled on my cheeks. I was rooted in my place, suddenly unable to move. It was painful to see the video of us kissing on the rooftop. It was supposed to be a private meeting, but how come a camera captured that moment? Yeah, it was at the night of the victory party. Then I remembered the man in black that I saw walking out to the exit. Could he be the one?

I felt like my heart would explode anytime. I thought of my brother, and the millions of people who are looking up at me as someone who’s almost perfect. I wouldn’t bear the condemnation I’d surely receive from them.

My knees trembled, and soon I fell on the floor. My tears kept on escaping from my eyes. They were out of shame, anger and every painful emotion one could feel. I didn’t know if Hyuk Jae heard of this already. My phone blinked and told me I had one call.

 

I reached for it with shaking hands. Fear pulled my heart over. It might be my brother, and I had the faintest hope that it was Hyuk Jae.

“Hello?”

“Hae, I knew it...” he said on the other end. His voice trailed off and seemed fragile. I knew he was fighting his tears back.

“I don’t know what to do.”

“I’ll come over and let’s talk.”

“Okay.” I hung up and let my phone slip freely from my hand. Even if he enclosed me in his arms, there’s no undoing of what happened. It was all over.

 

Hyuk Jae’s POV

 

I stepped on the brakes and climbed my way up to Dong Hae’s apartment. The sudden outburst of the news about our relationship was a big thing in the whole world of showbiz, and to the people of this country. I didn’t know how we were shot, who uploaded it, and the real motive of doing it. Like the breaking of a glass, our mistake was broken into a thousand consequences.

The door wasn’t locked. I opened it immediately and saw Dong Hae lying on the floor. His knew were curled up closer to his body. His face was streaked with tears. He was staring at something invisible. I rushed to him and helped him get up.

“Hae?” He was sitting now, eyes still fixed at a very far place. They were red out of crying for a long time. I was guilty at the devastation I caused him. I moved his face a little to look into his eyes.

“Listen to me. Everything they say about us is nonsense, as long as we love each other. I love you. Nothing else matters but the two of us.”

All I got as an answer from him was a loud cry.  I brought him into my arms and whispered in his ear words of comfort.

“I’m not letting you go, Hyuk. We’re not letting go.” he uttered.

He pulled away and held my hands tightly. I kissed his forehead in response. I felt his love now. With the outbreak of this issue and our lives crumbling into pieces, the love we had was our only weapon. I knew, with this love we feel for each other, we’ll get through with this.

“I love you.” I repeated for him to hear. He needed me now. We have to keep both of us strong. He only cried and looked down at our hands. I smiled as his grip tightened. He was afraid of losing me, and so was I.