Wait!

Passerby

25 - Wheein

 


 

 

Yongsun and Hyejin arrived at the house the next day. The younger woman is still battling a superior hangover. She wanted to stay at Yongs hotel room and let the bed consume her but she felt indebted. Yong helped Wheein alone yesterday and she made her unnie deal with her drunk .

 

The two found the three women snuggled together on the floor with beer cans around them. Wheein was sandwiched by Byul and Seulgi. Their arms and legs are wrapped on Wheein. Despite the uncomfortable situation that the three are in, they all looked so peaceful in their sleep. Hyejin took a photo of the three and giggled. 

 

They look so cute!Hyejin said and shortly winced after. The headache kept on kicking in despite the medicine she took earlier.

 

Yeah, whatever. Wake them up. Ill call the workers. The exteriors needed to be repainted before the rainy days come.Yong said then walked straight to the kitchen to prepare the breakfast they brought for everyone.

 

Then why not paint them afterthe rain?Hyejin asked.

 

Itll take days to let the walls dry completely. Also, it needed to be cleaned and brushed before painting it. Theres too much work thats why we needed to start immediately. Also, Wheein said that she will leave as soon as we're done and so do we. You and I have a life back in Seoul and it'll be over if we'll stay longer,Yongsun explained.

 

I thought you like Wheein.Hyejin said as she sighed heavily and followed Yongsun. 

 

What?!Yongsun reacted from Hyejins sudden outburst.

 

“It's clear that you like her more than you wanted to. It's just sad to see how you gave up when things haven't started yet.Hyejin added.

 

Why dont you wake them up? These are getting cold.Yongsun replied avoiding the question.

 

I see,Hyejin nodded while staring at the amount of food that Yong bought. You really care for Wheeinie. I wish shed stay so you two could be together.Hyejin added.

 

Hyejin-ah,Yong coldly looked at Hyejin.

 

Jeez! Just sayin!Hyejin threw her hands up and walked back to where the three are sleeping.

 

Hyejin crouched down and gently shook Wheein. 

 

Hey, wake up,Hyejin whispered.

 

Wheein was still sleeping soundly. Still a heavy sleeper, I see. Hyejin said to herself. She gave Wheein another nudge but a little stronger but it didnt work. Hyejin stood up and sighed. She rested her hands on her waist and inhaled deeply only to scream, WAKE UP!. 

 

Seulgi was the first one to react. She sat up quickly with her puffy face and eyes opened wide. Next was Byul who turned to the other side and shoo-ed Hyejin away. Wheein blinked a couple of times and said, You are worse than a chicken on a cozy Sunday morning.” 

 

"WHAT?!" Hyejin frowned.

 

*

 

Everyone is gathered in the dining area. Wheein felt uncomfortable at the staring eyes of Yongsun so she stared back at her.

 

What?Yongsun asked while raising her eyebrows.

 

What What? Stop staring at me. I know Im pretty but you are making me uncomfortable.Wheein said. Also, thank you for this,Wheein raised a cup of coffee with her hand and added, You dont have to but itd be nice to get free coffee again tomorrow.Wheein giggled.

 

Just eat your breakfast,Yongsun said as she rolled her eyes.

 

Yeah, Wheein. Just so when she carries you again she-Hyejin was stopped by a chunk of bread stuffed in by Yongsun.

 

Scary,Byul said after she witnessed what Yong did.

 

Yeah, now I am thinking twice to date her,Wheein added then laughed after.

 

Hey, Im leaving today. I forgot to mention it last night. Im needed in Seoul.Seulgi said.

 

Oh, too bad. Can I get your number, though? I want us to hang out before I leave.Wheein said while fishing her phone from her pocket.

 

Byul noticed how Yong looked down and sighed when Wheein said something about leaving. She knows this face. It doesnt have to take a genius to figure it out because its all written in Yongsuns face. She just couldnt understand how she gets so attached to Wheein when they just met for such a short period of time.

 

Wheein gave her phone to Seulgi to type down her number and vice versa.

 

Im staying, by the way,Byul said. We already talked about this. I wanted to help and spend time with my new pal!Byul winked at Wheein and the latter reciprocated.

 

Seulgi, what time are you leaving?Hyejin asked.

 

I was supposed to leave yesterday but didnt feel like it. Will take my time.Seulgi said while giggling.

 

Wow, you are a master of your time eh?Hyejin replied in amusement.

 

The things I learn from Jung Wheein.Seulgi nudged Wheein and shot her a smile.

 

You and Byul love me so much,Wheein said as she stuffed with bread.

 

Well, you only get to meet one Jung Wheein in your lifetime,Byul said and the rest nodded. Am I right Yongsun-ssi?Byul added and winked at Yongsun.

 

Hyejin almost choked from Byuls straightforwardness. Yongsuns eyes grew wide and looked at Byul and Wheein. She frowned and scolded Byul, Yah! You barely know me and you dare talk to me like that?” 

 

Chill down, Yongsun-ssi. Youll get used to me. Youll be seeing me every day until this makeover project is done.Byul said. Oh! Thanks for the coffee, by the way.She then turned to Wheein and added, You better eat plenty so your girlfriend will be happy, okay?

 

Okay!Wheein smiled and gave Byul a thumbs up. She turned to Yongsun who was still bewildered at their behavior. Good morning, jagiya.Wheein winked at Yongsun.

 

Yong couldnt take these wildlingsbehavior so she took her own cup of coffee and walked towards the backdoor. 

 

*

 

Theyre here!Yongsun ran to the front porch with her phone on hand. Shes talking about the people she hired to work on the repainting of the walls.

 

Byul and Seulgi stood up. Puppy dog, I have to go now,Seulgi said and Wheein stood up to give Seulgi a tight hug. Lets hang out before I go, okay?Wheein said and whispered, and thanks for keeping our secret,then she pulled away from the hug. Of course!Seulgi flicked Wheeins forehead.

 

Ill send her off at the train station. Ill be back,Byul said.

 

The two took off and it was just Hyejin and Wheein that are left. The two were quiet for quite a while until Wheein started the conversation.

 

There are so many questions I have for you, you know?Wheein looked at Hyejin.

 

Spill em out,Hyejin replied with a smile.

 

Whos the lady?Wheein asked.

 

Ah, her name is Chungha. Let me show you her pic.Hyejin picked up her bag and scavenged her phone inside. Wheein cant stop but wonder how Hyejin managed to live with those long nails.

 

I know for sure that those nails are not real but, still, how?!Wheein asked.

 

Funny thing, I remembered an incident where I was picking my nose with these and my nose bled,Hyejin said while trying to find her phone in her bag.

 

The ?Wheein can clearly imagine how it went.

 

Yeahso where the is my phone?Hyejin muttered to herself. She took her hand out of the bag then she started checking her pockets. Hyejin rolled her eyes when she felt her phone in the right pocket of her sweatpants. She took it out and tapped here and there.

 

I still cannot,Wheein shook her head slowly while looking at Hyejins nails.

 

Here!Hyejin showed Wheein a picture of a very beautiful and feisty woman. She saw that the womans nails are long too. 

 

Hyejin-ah, Im sorry about asking you this but I really cant wrap my mind around it.Wheein apologetically said.

 

Shoot it,Hyejin nodded once.

 

What if you got into the heat of the momentand both of you are wearing those long fake nails, do you like, I dont know, remove it or, ugh! I know there are many ways to do it but it feels like it can get in the way at some point, you know?Wheein looked at Hyejin as if begging her to get her point and give an answer already.

 

Hyejin laughed and said, Wow! You are really bothered with long nails! It can get in the way but sometimes it didnt matter. We just work with the things that we can work on,Hyejin winked at Wheein.

 

Oh, okay. So, what happened to the guy you are supposed to marry?Wheein suddenly asked.

 

Well, that was unexpected,Hyejin sighed and added, It was hard because he was really a great guy. I told him about Chungha. At first, he was speechless. He didnt ask questions or whatever until he said that it must be hard for me and said that I should go. I apologized to him like crazy because what I did was unforgivable.” 

 

Good thing he let you go because he clearly deserves better,Wheein said which surprised Hyejin. Im sorry but its the truth. Plus, you get to be with Chungha. Its just its much more difficult on his side to see the light in this situation.Wheein added.

 

Yeah, Im an to him and to you,Hyejin said.

 

Wheein grabbed Hyejins hand and said, Dont mind me. Whatever happened between us in the past should stay in the past. Lets just learn from it, okay? No need to bring that up.

 

Yong came inside the house and walked straight to them.

 

Wheein-ah, is it okay if we repaint the inside walls too? Colors will still be the same, dont worry.Yong asked standing at the corner of the table.

 

Yeah, sure. Are we going to start re-varnishing the wood furniture too?Wheein asked.

 

Yes, please! Thank you! Ill head outside again and give them additional instructions.Yong said then walked outside.

 

Shes hot when shes working,Wheein said to Hyejin which made the latter giggle. The two of them stood up and carried some wood furniture to the back garden. 

 

*

 

Its been hours when Wheein and Hyejin were re-varnishing the wood furnitures but due to Hyejins hangover, she took a break and left Wheein outside.

 

Its been 20 minutes and Hyejin hasnt came back. Wheein thought that Hyejin was sleeping somewhere so she decided to take a break too since its too boring to work alone. She lit up one cigarette and went inside after. When she passed by her mothers room, she can hear some talking quietly. The door was slightly open so she took a peek without moving the door. She saw it was Hyejin and Yongsun. She didnt want to eavesdrop but when she was about to walk away she heard someone mentioned her name. This drew her to do what she didnt plan to. She stood there quietly focusing on what the two are talking about.

 

What the hell happened to the two of you?Wheein knew it was Yongsun because of her voice.

 

It was me. I wanted to tell her why but it was too shallow and stupid. Every time she crosses my mind, all I wanted to do was hit my head on the wall because of my stupidity. I left her because I chose to go hang out with friends. With all of you. First, I forgot about her birthday. Up until now, I kept on praying that she didnt come to Seoul that day. Second, I never greeted her via text or call. I just, I dont know what took over me. I let my new found life eat me and forget about the thing I left behind. I didnt answer her calls because Im scared that shed confront me about it and I dont know what to say. Remember when we took a vacation outside the city. We already had our plane tickets and everything then my dad called about Wheeins mom. Her mom died but I still chose to go with all of you knowing that shell need me. You know why? I dont want to miss out on the things you guys will do. I dont want to be left out. Stupid, right? I didnt call her because Im scared and embarrassed. I just chose to leave her there because of my selfishness. I cant even imagine how devastating it was for her. Since then, I cut our connection because I dont know how to face her again.Hyejin was tearing up but Wheein didnt see it. She just listened with her eyes closed fighting the tears that are threatening to fall.

 

You are stupid,Yongsun said which made Wheein smile.

 

Yeah, shes stupid. Wheein thought to herself.

 

Its a good thing she chose to go on and turn a blind eye on what happened between the two of you in the past,Yongsun added.

 

Im lucky that Wheein is Wheein,Hyejin said.

 

Wheein went out to the back garden to have a second smoke. What she heard crushed her heart. She wished that she didnt hear all of those but she believed that the past should stay in the past. This is her writing a new story with them. She just didnt know if she should talk about this to Hyejin. Wheein didnt know what to feel right now. She was interrupted in her thought when she felt someone walking towards her. She turned around and saw Yongsun who gave her a small but adorable smile.

 

You missed me already?Wheein asked.

 

You wish,Yongsun replied.

 

Youre really hot when youre focused on work, you know?Wheein smirked and it made Yongsun giggle.

 

You know what?Yongsun stood really close to Wheeins side that their shoulders are pressing each other.

 

What?Wheein asked while trying to keep her cool.

 

“I'm going to be honest with you. I really want to go on a date with you but I dont do dates for fun anymore. Im getting old you know. I needed someone serious and you are leaving Korea soon so Im sorry? I like you but I hate the idea that whatever we have now and whatever we could be is just temporary,Yongsun added as she giggled trying to hide her dismay caused by their situation.

 

Wheein, on the other hand, was speechless. Yongsuns words were so sudden. She can barely make out what Yongsun said because all she was trying to do was keep her cool. Wheein really liked Yongsun but she didnt know if its all worth it. What if shell get abandoned again? What if this is just temporary? What if Yongsun was just another person who will come and go like everybody else? What if shell get hurt again? But Wheein thought that theres nothing wrong if shell try because what if Yongsuns the one? 

 

You know what I think?Wheein asked.

 

Hmm?” 

 

Why dont we give it a shot? I mean get to know each other. I cant guarantee that Ill stay but I never said that Ill never come back because, crazy it may seem, I already fell for you the moment I laid my eyes on you. You are weird and annoying sometimes but it didnt seem to matter. I actually find them adorable now. Did you know that I ran back to that damned store? I was running like crazy hoping to find you there. Lets just give it a try and set our expectations low then lets see what happens next? What do you think? But if you are not up to it, Ill understand.Wheein offered.

 

This feels like a business deal,Yongsun jokes as nudges Wheeins arms.

 

Well, you said you had no time to waste and I am not a fan of missed opportunities. Im just being practical here, jagiya,Wheein teased which made Yongsun smile. 

 

I know a great idea, dumbs!Yong and Wheein flinched and Yong detached herself from Wheein when they heard Hyejin butted in their conversation. She was leaning on the doorframe of the back door with her arms crossed. I heard enough to make a mind-blowing suggestion,she added. 

 

Please, share Master,Wheein bowed to Hyejin.

 

Instead of testing the water, why dont you guys test each other on the bed? I guess compatibility starts there.Hyejin smirked then left.

 

The way her brain works is beyond my comprehension,Yongsun reacted.

 

She has a point. What or who do you want to test first?Wheein said while giggling.

 

Yong rolled her eyes and said, Lets stick to your plan.then she started to walk inside the house leaving Wheein who was stupidly smiling at Yong.

 

*

 

It was a long day for everyone. Hyejins physically unrecognizable and Byul was already lying down on the floor due to the amount of work they had exerted the whole day. The exterior walls are almost done and tomorrows tasks are already mapped out for Yongsun. Shes way too hyped up to the unfamiliar work that she took as a challenge and an opportunity to grow as an interior designer. Wheein did most of the crucial work but exhaustion is not evident on her face.

 

Wheein was smoking at the front porch when someone lightly kick her right calf. She turned around and it was Byul. 

 

Hey,Wheein said as a puff of smoke escaped . The rest went out through her nose. For some people, they find it amusing but for people like Byul, it was pure disgust.

 

Byul scrunched up her face and waved her hand around her head trying to defend herself from the smoke that was coming from the cigarette. Jesus! Wheein give your lungs a ing break!

 

Wheein crouched down and took the cigarette out and threw it in on the empty box near her. She stood straight, turned to Byul and asked, Going home already?

 

Yeah, this s exhausting. Kind of regretting it,Byul chuckled as she made her way out of the property. 

 

Not long after, Hyejin and Yongsun went out and said their goodbyes and good nights. While Wheein was watching them leave, she was in chaos with herself.

 

Should I ask Yongsun out tonight? I mean the night is still long but she might be tired from all the work? Where would we go if I asked her? WHAT DO I DO? WHY AM I PANICKING?!

 

Before Wheein could even clearly think and properly decide, the sight of Yongsun getting inside the car made her leave her post and ran towards Yong.

 

YONGSUN-UNNIE! WAIT!”