Good Morning (?)

Passerby

Old Pine - Ben Howard

 


 

 

 

YONGSUN-UNNIE! WAIT!

 

Wheein hurriedly walked to Hyejins car. Yong who was standing there holding the car door open just stared at Wheein wondering what it was about. Wheein ducked to look at Hyejin and asked, Can I borrow your friend?

 

You can take her for good,Hyejin joked as she waved her hand telling Wheein to go on.

 

Wheein stood straight and slid her hands in her hoodies front pocket and turned to Yongsun who looked clueless. Wheein still dont know what had gotten into her to do what she just did. Looking at Yongsun, she found herself at loss for words.

 

The moment Yongsun closed the car door, Hyejin stepped on the gas pedal and left Yongsun there.

 

Ya! Hyejin-ah! What the ?!Yongsun squealed.

 

Wheein who was just as surprised as Yongsun watched the car disappear then turned to Yongsun.

 

Well, that was unexpected,Wheein said. She breathed deeply and asked Yongsun, I was thinking of taking you out for dinner but if youre too tired to go, Ill understand. Hyejin left you but I can walk you to your place if you want?

 

You can walk me home after dinner,Yongsun said and added, Well, your treat I guess? My bag was in Hyejins car as well as my phone.

 

-

 

So where are you taking me?Yongsun asked Wheein as they walked side by side.

 

Ive been thinking about that a lot. I was planning to take you to a barbeque house but thered be too many people and my hunger cant wait. Also, Im sure that Hyejin had already treat you some Jeonju quality bibimbap so Im thinking of pork bone soup. What do you think?

 

Gamjatang?Yongsun asked.

 

Not just gamjatang!Wheein stopped and smiled at Yongsun. Old peoples classic gamjatang!Wheein clarified then she took Yongsuns hand and continued to walk.

 

Dont you think its too early to hold hands?Yongsun asked as she looked at her hand being held by Wheeins. Yong was doing her best to compose herself but she couldnt stop smiling. She liked this, she just didnt want to seem like an easy person.

 

Wheein looked at her but it seemed like her lips have a mind of its own. Yong wanted to hide her smile but she kept failing.

 

Stop fighting it. You look stupid,Wheein laughed then she held their clasped hands up and added, I dont want to let your hand go but if you feel uncomfortable I can let it go.

 

Yong stopped fighting trying to hide her smile and shook her head. She tightens her grip on Wheeins hand and slid it into the pocket of her overcoat. Its cold,Yong said with a huge grin while trying to avoid Wheeins stare.

 

How can you possibly look stupid and cute at the same time?!Wheein teased.

 

Oh, shut up,Yongsun rolled her eyes followed by a sweet smile.

 

While she kept glancing at Yongsun from time to time, she couldnt help but feel something different inside of her. Well, its not actually different. It just feels strange for her because she hasnt felt this in a very long time.

 

I wouldnt mind how well end up. All I care about is now. Wheein thought to herself.

 

-

 

Wheein stopped from walking and pointed her index finger to an old small restaurant. It looked like a place where truck drivers eat.

 

There it is!Wheein continued walking, dragging Yongsun. Woah! I cant believe this place still looked the same! Even the goddamn posters never changed!Wheein added.

 

Yongsun couldnt stop smiling at Wheein whos in awe like a child.

 

They casually sat somewhere near the window and after they settled down, Wheein stood up and walked to the counter.

 

Two special gamjatang, please. Thank you!Wheein gave her order to a pleasant-looking man. Wheein couldnt help but notice how he looked at her and gradually felt uncomfortable.

 

Jung Wheein?The man asked. It took Wheein by surprise because she cant remember who the man is.

 

Yes?

 

The man bent a little on his back and clapped once. He was smiling and kept looking at Wheein like he couldnt believe what hes seeing.

 

OH MY GOD! YOU REALLY ARE JUNG WHEEIN! I THOUGHT I WAS HALLUCINATING WHEN I SAW YOU AT THE SALON!

 

Ah, yes I am Jung Wheein. Im sorry but I dont remember you,Wheein said apologetically.

 

The man immediately grabbed a hand mirror from his desk and looked at his reflection. He checked all angles of his face and when he was done he turned back to Wheein and said, I think what they said is true. I really must have grown well and handsome.The man took something from the counter division wall. He showed it to Wheein and said, Im the guy who has a huge crush on you back then! Well, the photo showed how Hyejin is so protective. I asked to have a photo with you but look who stood between us.The guy chuckled.

 

It was a photo of him, Hyejin, and Wheein standing in front of the restaurant. Wheein can tell that they are already in high school when it was taken. Wheein and the boy were standing awkwardly with Hyejin in the middle with food stuffed in . Wheein then remembered who he was.

 

HOLY ! I REMEMBER YOU NOW!Wheein who was a little too ecstatic looked up to the man in front of her and said, WOO-SHIK!. Wheein jumped a little for a couple of times. HOLY ! YOU LOOK SO GOOD NOW! WOW! YOU REALLY GREW UP WELL!

 

The man ran outside his counter and ran to Wheein. They hugged tightly and when they pulled themselves apart they took a good look of each other again.

 

Youre still small but you got prettier!Woo Shik said.

 

Well, you changed a lot, oppa.Wheein said then she gave him a small punch in the arm.

 

Woo Shik perked up and said, You can eat whatever you want here! Its on me!

 

I would really like the offer but Im with someone,Wheein pointed at Yongsun who was busy browsing the menu booklet. Just treat me next time when Im alone.

 

No biggie! Im so happy to see you again!Woo Shik hugged Wheein again and said, Ill note your order to the kitchen and Ill get back to you.

 

Okay! Thanks again, oppa!

 

Wheein walked back to where Yongsun was sitting and apologized for taking long.

 

Why are you saying sorry?Yongsun smiled and added, I was watching the two of you and you two look cute.

 

I never took you as someone who gets jealous easily,Wheein teased.

 

And what made you think that Im jealous?Yong confidently asked.

 

You two look cute,Wheein mimicked Yongsun. And Ive never seen someone read a menu like their life depended on it.Wheein giggled.

 

Shut up,Yongsun rolled her eyes and slid her hand to the pocket of her overcoat. ! My phones in Hyejins car.

 

Your habit is so adorable that Im getting addicted to it,Wheein said while stupidly smiling at Yongsun.

 

What now?Yong asked. The blush on her cheeks and the redness on her ears motivated Wheein to more.

 

Wheein mimicked Yongsun again by rolling her eyes and said in Yongs voice, Of course Im not jealous. I just want to punch that guys face so much and tell him that Wheeinies mine.

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes again and it made Wheein laugh.

 

What?Yong asked.

 

Your eyes are worse than a mouse-ball,Wheein laughed.

 

Because Im pretty,Yong said as she tucked her hair behind her ears then crossed her arms.

 

Of course you are,Wheein winked at Yongsun and the latter grunted in annoyance. Okay, Ill stop.

 

-

 

The food arrived and it was delivered by Woo Shik.

 

Yongsun-unnie, this is Woo Shik. Hes a friend from high school.Wheein introduced Woo Shik to Yongsun and the two shook their hands.

 

Ah yes! Funny thing, I used to court Wheein when we were younger and hearing that you are Wheeins unnie, do you approve of me dating Wheein?Woo Shik said confidently.

 

Same old Woo Shik. His confidence never ceased. Now that he is a good looking guy, I bet his confidence spiked up like crazy. Wheein thought to herself then looked at Yongsun, Im sorry unnie. If only I had known, I wouldve taken you somewhere else.

 

Yong saw the dismay in Wheeins face. She wondered why because she seemed so lively earlier.

 

Yong turned to Woo Shik and bitterly said, Well, its better if you ask Wheein.

 

Nah! Im just messing with you! Wheein already dumped me before and promised to stay friends. I respect that and always will. Also, Im not that dumb not to know what you guys are into,Woo Shik winked and smiled at Yongsun. Yongsun-unnie, Wheeinie here is a very precious lady. Based on the Wheein I know years ago, I know for sure that she will take care of you and love you tirelessly. I have such great respect for this lady.Woo Shik tapped Wheeins shoulder lightly.

 

Wheein felt great knowing that Woo Shik is okay and accepting with whatevers going on between her and Yongsun.

 

Please, enjoy your food. It was really great seeing you again, Wheein. You look really well and happy.” Woo Shik left.

 

 

"It amazes me how people adores me so much!" Wheein laughed trying to hide her disappointment. How come I have forgotten someone like him? What is wrong with me?  It's annoying to think how scared I am to be forgotten when I, myself, have forgotten these people. He has a photo of me and Hyejin displayed on the counter.

 

 

"What has become of me?"

 

 

"What?" Yongsun asked.

 

 

I must've said it out loud. Jesus! 

 

 

"Ah! I was just reminiscing. I'm sorry," Wheein smiled at Yongsun.

 

-

 

The two women are halfway finished with their meal. Wheein rested her chopsticks in the rim of the bowl and said, Yongsun-unnie, whats your favorite food?

 

Wheein realized that she knows so little about the woman in front of her and it sees this opportunity to ask Yongsun the things she wanted to know.

 

“Wow! We just ate, Wheein-ah. But tteokbokki is my favorite,Yongsun said. But this gamjatang is a game changer. It really tastes so good!

 

So, this is your favorite food now?Wheein asked.

 

Hmm, no. I guess this food will just have a very special place in my heart.

 

Because of me?Wheein teased.

 

Here you go again,Yongsun sighed then smiled. And yes, you are a part of the reason why its special.She added.

 

Wheein felt the heat from her chest and back crawled up to her cheeks and ears.

 

Why did you ask? You will treat me again tomorrow?Yongsun asked smiling at Wheein.

 

I asked because I want to know more about you and I will not buy you Tteokbokki,Wheein said and saw the adorable pout that Yongsun made due to her disappointment. Wheein had a diffrent plan. Im not going to buy you that because Id rather make them myself for you,Wheein added.

 

Yongsun nodded and said, That better be good. Ive tasted so many Tteokbokki and Im pretty confident to say that I can judge it if its good or not. If your Tteokbokkis not good enough for me…” Yongsun couldnt find anything good to say. Shes regretting why she even dared her in the first place.

 

Or what?Wheein was waiting for Yongsun whos busy thinking of something good.

 

Forget about it. Cant think of a-Yongsun stopped when she suddenly came up with something. AH! You cant smoke,Yongsun added.

 

WHAT?! You know thats unfair.Wheein protested.

 

Why are you flaking? Youre so confident about your precious tteokbokki. If it didnt taste good, youre not allowed to smoke when Im at your place. I really hate the smell. I guess youll just have to give it your best shot,Yongsun said as she shrugged.

 

Lame. Well, I guess I should start to gradually quit. My future girlfriend doesnt like it.Wheein said.

 

Dont do it for me, do it for yourself.Yongsun sternly said and Wheein found it y.

 

So, youre sure that you are the future girlfriend Im talking about?Wheein teasingly asked.

 

Dont you want to?Yongsun fired back.

 

Marry me,Wheein said then she chuckled.

 

,Yongsun muttered trying to stop herself from smiling.

 

-

 

Ah! Im so full!Yong said as she rubbed her belly.

 

Me too! I feel like my tummys going to explode,Wheein added.

 

Too graphic but Ill take it.Yong reacted then she saw something on Wheeins teeth. Wheein-ah,Yongsun called then when Wheein is looking at her, she pointed to her own trying to tell Wheein that she got something on her teeth.

 

Wheein grabbed her phone and opened the front camera. She used it as a mirror to look at her own reflection. She tried to take it out with a toothpick but shes having a hard time seeing it clearly.

 

Here,Yongsun offered to help. She took a new toothpick and the two leaned closer to each other. Wheein grinned as wide as she can while Yongsun had her left hand behind Wheeins neck and the other hand with the toothpick.

 

It was obvious that the two got a little uncomfortable but they are already there and this is already happening. Wheein had a close look at Yongsuns face. She saw how smooth and clear Yongsuns skin is. She wanted to squish that chubby cheeks. She felt her body releasing so much heat and later found Yongsuns touch too so special.

 

Done,Yongsun said as she pulled back and rested her back on the chair.

 

The two women noticed the heavy atmosphere when they looked around. Some people are looking at them and few are whispering something to the person beside them. Wheein had almost forgotten about how same- relationship and everything in-between is being frowned upon here in Korea. She can take the stares and whispering but she doesnt know about Yongsun. She looked at her and saw the discomfort in Yongsuns face.

 

The loud sound caused by a fallen metal thing (could be a spoon or a fork) took everyones attention. Wheein and Yongsun saw that Woo Shik picked up something on the floor. It was a couple of spoons that had fallen. The way Woo Shik nodded at Wheein and Yongsun with a knowing smile, the two women knew that Woo Shik dropped them intentionally. The two women can only nod at Woo Shik as a Thank youas they walked their way out of the resto. Wheein heard a man said something when they passed, Such a waste for a pretty face.Wheein can fee all the blood in her body rush to her head so she halted in her walk. She closed her eyes. She wanted to go back and lecture the man. She wanted to do something about it. She breathed deep and calmed herself. Before she could open her eyes, a soft hand took hers and when she opened it, she saw Yongsun smiled at her and slowly dragged her out of the resto.

 

-

 

They are walking down the street and Yongsun hasnt let go of Wheeins hand. Instead, Yong held it tighter every time Wheein would try to let go. She just looked at Yong who kept glancing at her and smiling at her. She handled it better than I could. If it werent for her, I wouldve ended up lying on the ground with blood on my face. Wheein thought to herself. If Yong wasnt with her, she wouldve been smoking somewhere blowing off the steam and calming herself.

 

Unnie, thank you and Im sorry that about the things that happened earlier,Wheein said as she gave up and let her body loose beside Yong.

 

In Wheeins surprise, Yong let go of her hand then wrapped her arms around Wheeins shoulder. They kept walking like that.

 

I should thank you for the great dinner,Yongsun said as she pulled Wheein closer to her. Im not going to lie that Im looking forward to that Tteokbokki. I hope it would taste really bad so youd stop smoking.

 

Well, want to know something?Wheein asked.

 

Hmm?

 

I dont think Id ever need it if were always this close,Wheein said.

 

Then we should always be this close,Yongsun said as she giggled.

 

Unnie, how did you and Hyejin meet?

 

Well, we were classmates in one of our subjects back in college. We were partnered in an activity and things started there,

 

Do you have a mom and dad?Wheein asked.

 

Yes,” Yongsun was a little surprised at Wheein's random questions.

 

They still live together?

 

Uh-huh,

 

Whats it like?

 

Yongsun felt her heart tighten. She felt like shes talking to the younger Wheein that she saw on the photo with her mom and grandma.

 

Well, it is great, though sometimes they can be a little too uptight and controlling? But all in all, its good to have someone to lean on when things get rough and someone to go to when you feel uncertain and lost. They may not give you the best advice but still better than nothing.

 

Oh,Wheein nodded as she absorbs the words that are coming out of Yongsuns mouth. Do you have any siblings?

 

Yes, I do and we fight all the time!Yongsun laughed. Over the stupidest things,She added.

 

I used to have a cat, do you like cats?Wheein asked.

 

Yong finds this side of Wheein very adorable and sometimes too innocent in a way.

 

Ive never really thought about it. I used to have a dog though. She died a couple of years ago. She was my dog since I was a teen,

 

 

There was a long silence until Wheein spoke again.

 

I have been to this place back in Scotland and it feels like a place where princesses or fairies live. There are these colorful flowers, big and small. Big old trees and tall grass. I can imagine you standing somewhere there,

 

Because I look like a princess?Yongsun teased.

 

No offense but no. Didnt even crossed my mind. Im just saying the place fits you, thats all,Wheein plainly said.

 

,Yongsun said as she rolled her eyes.

 

I bet you rolled your eyes,Wheein laughed and Yongsun followed.

 

They reached to Yongsuns hotel. Would you like to have a coffee or something?Yong offered.

 

Your eyes are like Droopys. Youve worked a lot today and we walked a lot as well. You must be super tired,Wheein said.

 

Are you sure?

 

Yes. Rest well, Yongsun-unnie. See you tomorrow.

 

Yongsun was on her way inside the hotel lobby and Wheein just watched her. When Yongsun was waiting for the elevator door to open, Wheein decided to go back to her place. On the corner of the street she was standing there waiting for the LED man to turn green and start to walk. Just as it turned green and Wheein took her first step, she heard a familiar voice called her name. Yongsun? Wheein thought. She turned around to see Yongsun waving at her in front of the hotel building. What is this weird lady up to? Wheein smiled.

 

WHEEIN!Yongsun then started to run towards her. I forgot to uh,Yongsun took a break to breathe and continued, get your number.Yongsun handed her a piece of paper and a pen that she got from the receptions desk. 

 

I thought you missed me already,Wheein teased then she jotted down her number on the piece of paper

 

Yongsun looked at it and there was a note under the phone number. 'Save me as 'Yeobo' with a kiss mark emoji.

 

Yeobo?Yongsun read it aloud.

 

Hmm?Wheein replied as she leaned closer to Yongsun as if she wanted Yong to look at her and not at the paper.

 

I like your confidence,Yongsun said then she boopedWheein on the nose like its a dogs snout. Yongsun skipped her way back to the hotel building like a six-year-old child in a playground.

 

-

 

Wheein arrived at the lodging house and found Mi Ran reading a magazine on the kitchen nook.

 

Looking for something to make you look younger?Wheein asked.

 

Shut up,Mi Ran coldly replied and it made Wheein laugh.

 

Cant sleep?Wheein asked as she took an empty glass and filled it with water.

 

Uh-huh,Mi Ran nodded then looked at Wheein. She noticed the young lady smiling stupidly at her. You got laid? Why you smilinlike that?

 

Wheein choked on her water and took a couple of seconds to recover. What?! Jesus! I just went on a date with someone.Wheein said while wiping dry.

 

Looks like it went good, eh?Mi Ran closed the magazine and gave her full attention to Wheein.

 

It went great,Wheein said with a huge smile on her face.

 

So, that means youre not planning on leaving anymore?

 

Not really. Its just that I'm not going to be the one-way-traveler I once was. I'll be here from time to time.

 

I see.Mi Ran nodded then she perked up and said, Oh! I almost forgot! Someone was looking for you earlier. I saw her standing outside, in front of your house. She kept peeking inside so I called her. I'm not gonna lie, shes one hell of a pretty lady but Im sure Im prettier than her.Mi Ran smirked and added, Bad thing is, I forgot to get her name. Im sorry. I told her to be here at daylight because I know youll be here. So, I guess expect to have a visitor tomorrow?

 

I have a bad feeling about this. I hope shes not who I think she is. Wheein thought to herself.

 

Anyway, Ill go up now. You should take your rest now. You look like you are about to pass out.

 

Mi Ran left Wheein in the kitchen and after a couple of seconds of Wheein staring at her empty glass, she walked to her room.

 

After taking a long bath, she went out to see that Byul is already sleeping like a baby. She can hear light snores coming from Byul. Just as Wheein threw herself in her bed, her phone that was resting beside the pillow buzzed. It was just an unknown number. Wheeins heart started to beat fast and strong. Its impossible that this could be her. Its impossible for her to know my phone number. Did Mi-Ran gave it to her? Wheein opened the message and just from the way words are typed and put together, she let out a sigh of relief. Yongsun-unnie, Wheein smiled.

 

HEY! YONGSUN HERE! HYEJ DROPPED BY AT MY PLACE. SHE BROUGHT MY STUFF AND SHE'S CURRENTLY SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR! HAHAHA THIS IS WEIRD!! ANYWAY, I LOVE HOW RANDOM YOU ARE EARLIER! ITS AS IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AROUND ME! I LIKE IT! I HOPE YOUD STAY LIKE THAT FOREVER!!! GOOD NIGHT JUNG WHEEIN! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TREAT!! THE FOODS GREATYOURE GREAT TOO HIHIHI GOOD NIGHT! SEE YOU TOMORROW!

 

Wheein smiled at what she just read. Wheein was about to reply when she received another message from the same number.

 

Are you sleeping already? You must be tired from walking. Rest well! I guess I should say Good Morning? Because youll be reading this in the morning? SoGood Morning! Ugh, it feels weird lol!

 

At that, Wheein decided not to reply to Yongsuns messages. Reading these messages allowed Wheein to fall fast asleep without thinking about the woman who was looking for her earlier.