Let's?

Passerby

 


 

 

In an alley beside the pub, Wheein and Yongsun awkwardly stood in front of each other with at least a two-meter gap between them. Both of them couldn’t bring themselves to talk but their eyes showed how much they have missed each other.

 

There are so many things that Yongsun would like to say and to top it with all the emotions lingering around her mind, she felt so overwhelmed. Wheein, on the other hand, felt like everything was surreal. Yongsun? Standing in front of her? Wheein could not believe it.

 

Wheein was brought out of her trance when she saw tears coming out from Yongsun’s beautiful eyes. 

 

“Wheein-ah,” Yongsun said but she just can’t manage to bring out the words she’s been meaning to tell her. Hell, she even practiced on her way here! “I-, I’m,” instead of words, the sound of her cries came out. 

 

“Come here,” Wheein opened her arms and nodded at Yongsun. She gave her the warmest smile she can ever give just so Yongsun can feel that everything will be okay. 

 

Yongsun didn’t waste any second and went for Wheein’s arms. As soon as their bodies touched, Yongsun’s cry grew louder. She pulled Wheein as close as she could, taking all the warmth she could get. Wheein slowly looped her arms around Yongsun’s waist and planted her lips on her girlfriend’s shoulder. She let it linger while she inhaled her summer-like scent. Wheein, then, kissed the side of Yongsun’s head and whispered at her girlfriend who just won’t stop from crying.

 

“What took you so long, unnie?”

 

With that simple question, Yongsun was reminded of something she seemed to have forgotten.

 

Wheein is her home.

 

She hasn't even apologized yet but she felt like she’s already forgiven. The way Wheein her hair right now and the way she rubs her palm on her back, all of her weariness seemed to disappear. 

 

“I was only waiting for a call or a text message. I didn’t know you plan to actually see me in person!” Wheein half-jokingly said. 

 

“I’m so sorry, Wheein-ah! I was such a jerk! I’m sorry! I should’ve called sooner. I should’ve done something sooner!” 

 

Both went speechless for a while. Yongsun knew that this is not the right time to tell her excuses and Wheein felt a surge of emotions she never knew she had for Yongsun but tried her best to ignore them.

 

“You scared me, Yong. You scared me to death!! I thought you'd break up with me! Why did you do that?!” Wheein couldn’t keep her cool anymore. She’s happy that Yongsun’s here and she’s also relieved but there was a hint of anger and annoyance that she never knew was there all along. Wheein can't say that she bottled all this up because she didn’t even know that she had these feelings in her. She just suddenly felt all these when she heard Yongsun's apology. She kept hitting Yongsun’s arms, expressing her frustration. Her tears followed.

 

But as soon as she had expressed these feelings out to Yongsun, she felt okay again. 

 

“I’m so sorry, Whee,” Yongsun whispered along with her loud sobs, holding Wheein tighter and closer.

 

***

 

Yongsun and Wheein were in the park where Wheein used to go. They sat on a concrete bench, far from everyone. There wasn’t much noise and the place is really scenic. Even with the dark sky, anyone can see the outlines of the mountain and trees around.

 

“I’m sorry,” Yongsun said, head hung low. She couldn’t look at Wheein this time. She couldn’t find the right words and flow of sentences to express how sorry she is.

 

“Shhh, I’m not mad anymore. It’s okay now. It’s just,” Wheein, watching the street lights, placed her hand on Yongsun’s knee. “Yong?” 

 

Yong immediately looked at Wheein when she called her name. This time, Wheein’s already looking at her with damp eyes. “Is there anything that I did wrong? Every night, I try to find a reason why you became distant. Maybe I said something? Did something?” Wheein asked.

 

In a swift, Yongsun placed her hand on Wheein’s shoulder. “No, Wheein-ah. You did nothing wrong. It was all me,”

 

“Then tell me why. I just wanted to know why,” Wheein said, almost whispering.

 

“Wheein-ah, remember when I got promoted?” Yongsun said, averting her eyes. “I didn’t expect how hard it was. My responsibilities we’re thrice heavier than what I expected. Some eyes are on me, waiting for me to fail and I can’t give them that satisfaction! I’ve worked so hard to be where I am now and I can’t afford to lose it.”

 

“I know. That’s why I always do my best to understand. But what I want to know is why you didn’t call me back after that call. I didn’t even get a single message,” Wheein said.

 

Yongsun, again, burst into tears. This part is the hardest for Yongsun. How can she tell the person that she loved so dearly was being set aside and unprioritized, “I did try but I always pushed it aside because I needed to focus on my work. Yesterday, I just realized how long I have been doing it. I didn’t even notice the days that passed. When Byul called, that’s when it hit me. Maybe the reason why I always push you aside is I always believed that you’d always be there, that you’d never leave. I’m sorry,”

 

“Unnie, you know that I’ll never leave you until you tell me to,” 

 

“I know and I don’t want you to leave. Ever,” Yongsun said, wiping away her tears. “I’ve realized my mistake so please don’t leave me. You’ll be my priority from now on,” she whispered as she held Wheein’s hands.

 

“Shh, I won’t,” Wheein said as she pulled Yongsun close and draped an arm on Yongsun’s shoulders. “And I can’t be your priority. You should be your priority,”

 

Yongsun rested her head on Wheein’s chest, crying. Wheein repeatedly planted kisses on her head as she rubbed her back. “Unnie, you don’t know how happy it made me when I saw you in the pub. It’s like all the fears and doubts that wrapped my mind completely vanished in a split-second,” Wheein chuckled with a smirk on. “You know, up until now, I still can’t believe that you’re here. After days of not talking to me, you suddenly showed up! But you want to know what I’ve been wanting to hear from you?”

 

Yongsun slowly pulled away to look at Wheein. Before she can wipe her own tears, Wheein already did. She pulled Yongsun’s head close and made their forehead touch. “I want to hear you say that you love me because you haven’t said that in quite a long time,” Wheein smiled.

 

It struck Yongsun when she heard that. She, then, hated herself more and Wheein can see that.

 

“Don’t be sad, now. Just say it and I’ll book a hotel right away,” Wheein giggled, hoping it could make Yongsun feel better.

 

“I should be the one making you feel better but look at what you’re doing,” Yongsun said, giving in a smile. She squished Wheein’s cheeks and said what Wheein’s been wanting to hear.

 

“I love you, Wheein-ah. I’m sorry for everything I put on you and thank you for being so understanding,” Yongsun said, looking deep into Wheein’s eyes.

 

“Say the first part again,” Wheein said, a little muffled due to Yongsun’s hands that squished her cheeks.

 

“I love you, Wheeinie. I love you so so much,” Yongsun said cutely then she repeatedly planted kisses on Wheein’s squished cheeks and lips.

 

“I hate the fact that I can’t get mad at you properly,” Wheein said as she removed Yongsun’s hands on her cheeks and guide them to her shoulders.

 

“Really? I haven’t even used my charms yet,” Yongsun said playfully.

 

“I love you, Yong. I missed you,” Wheein said, pulling Yongsun closer by the waist.

 

“I love you too, Wheein-ah. I missed you too. And I’m sorry for everything,” Yongsun said, leaning her forehead against Wheein’s.

 

“Stop saying sorry,” Wheein said, pulling Yong’s face closer to her, lips almost brushing against each other as she speaks.

 

“Okay,” Yongsun subtly nodded.

 

“Can I kiss you now?” Wheein asked with a smirk on her face.

 

Without answering Wheein’s question, Yongsun made the move. It started pretty soft and sweet until it’s not. Both of them have longed for this moment and it shows. It became too passionate that passersby would glance at them, some are even taken aback. 

 

“Yongsun-ah,” Wheein pulled away for a bit, leaning her forehead against Yongsun’s. 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“Let’s go?”

 

“Where?”

 

“Your hotel, of course. I don’t think having in front of Helga would be a great idea,” 

 

“Oh, !” Yongsun slid her head to rest on Wheein’s shoulder and slowly snuggled to Wheein’s neck.

 

“What?”

 

“I forgot to book one. I was so eager to see you and a little bit worried too,” 

 

“Yeah? Can we please book one now? For some reason, I feel super right now,” Wheein said, not even half-joking.

 

“Wait! Wait! You and Helga are sleeping in the same room?!” Yongsun pulled away and started to hit Wheein’s arm.

 

“Ow! What’s wrong with that?!” Wheein said, trying to get a grip of Yongsun’s hands.

 

“I don’t know!” Yongsun said, giving Wheein a last blow on the arm.

 

“Ow!” Wheein rubbed the part where Yongsun hit her.

 

“I’m going to book a room now,” Yongsun said and pulled her phone from her overcoat.

 

While Yongsun’s busy tapping on her phone, Wheein continued to tease the woman by kissing Yongsun’s neck as light as a feather’s touch. Yongsun would flinch from time to time but she didn’t make her stop. Instead, she leaned closer and tilted her head to give Wheein better access. Yongsun is having a hard time focusing on what she’s doing due to her girlfriend’s actions and it got worse when Wheein trailed her jaw up to her ear.

 

“Hurry up,” Wheein whispered, brushing her lips on the tip of Yongsun’s ear.

 

***

 

“Let’s clean up?” Wheein asked, still rubbing Yongsun’s throbbing wet slit. Wheein knew her partner’s is still too sensitive after coming several times because whenever she’d hit it, Yongsun’s body react. She can see that Yongsun is loving it whenever she pampers her vag right after she comes. Well, who doesn’t want an aftercare after several rounds of ing? 

 

“Wait, let me catch my breath first,” Yongsun said, staring at the ceiling. The was so good that she’s about to hallucinate random things. 

 

Wheein stopped pampering Yongsun, giving her the time to recover but Yongsun whined as soons as Wheein removed her hand on Yongsun’s crotch. 

 

“Don’t sto~p,” Yongsun said. 

 

Wheein smiled at her girlfriend’s actions and placed her hand back to where Yongsun wants it to be. She gently them again and rested her head on Yongsun’s chest. Wheein can hear her girlfriend’s heartbeat. It was so strong the Wheein could feel it.

 

Wheein looked up and called her. When Yongsun looked at her, Wheein captured her girlfriend’s lips and kissed her passionately. 

 

“Wheein-ah, I don’t think I can handle another one,” Yongsun said, lips brushing against Wheein’s. 

 

“I know, I just wanted to kiss you,” 

 

***

 

Wheein is drying her hair in the bathroom while Yongsun is on the phone, ordering hotel room service.

 

Yongsun, who’s sitting on the edge of the bed next to the bedside table, was still on the phone when Wheein came out of the bathroom. She was lost in trance when she saw Wheein walking towards her, in a lazily worn robe almost revealing her bosom. Wheein sat next to her and whispered, “Beer.”

 

Yongsun smiled thinking how foolish she is for expecting Wheein to say something sweet or lewd. She nodded with a stupid grin on her face and continued ordering. 

 

Wheein walked around, wondering where Yongsun might have thrown her pants. It took her less than a minute to spot it lying in the corner of the room. She took her phone and realized that its battery had been drained since this morning. She grunted in frustration because she wanted to take a photo of her girlfriend in a white thick robe and hair in a messy bun. 

 

“Yong, you have an iphone, right?” Wheein asked, looking at Yongsun who is now resting on the bed, browsing her phone.

 

Yongsun looked up at Wheein. “Yeah?”

 

“Is your charger compatible with an SE?” Wheein asked, waving her phone at Yongsun then pointed at the bottom part of her phone.

 

Yongsun chuckled and said, “Maybe if you bought a newer model, it’d be compatible. I don’t know why you bought it instead of a new one.”

 

“Well, it’s the only phone that’s compatible with my small hands! Phones are getting bigger and bigger now and it’s driving me crazy! You don’t know how much I missed typing with one hand on a standard keypad,” Wheein said in a frustrated tone which Yongsun finds funny.

 

“Your hands may be small but it works wonders. You know, I even saw a flying unicorn when I closed my eyes as I came. It is that good,” Yongsun winked at Wheein. 

 

“Ugh! Byul and Mi Ran-ssi might be worried!” Wheein scratched the back of her head and sat at the corner of the bed with her back facing Yongsun.

 

“No ! Byul called me yesterday. She was crying,” Yongsun said, crawling to Wheein.

 

“What?! Why?!” Wheein was about to turn around in her seat but Yongsun hugged her from the back first. Her legs on Wheein’s side and arms wrapped around Wheein’s upper chest.

 

“You’re in Iceland and on a hike. Then she found out about a storm heading this way and she panicked because she wasn’t able to contact you so she reached out to me. She’s so scared that you might get stuck in there and might be in serious danger. That was also the time when I realized what I have been doing wrong. Thanks to Byul,” Yongsun said, resting her chin on Wheein’s shoulder.

 

“How did she know about the storm?” Wheein asked.

 

“She said that wherever you are, she always tries to find a way to make sure that you’re safe. And I already called her when I arrived here. The bartender told me that even if the storm didn’t subside when it hit landfall, the supposed track is pretty far from where you guys are and that all of you are safe. I told Byul everything so she can finally stop from crying,” Yongsun chuckled. “I was actually surprised when I saw that side of Byul.”

 

“Oh, I see! Oh, wow! I get it now! She’d mention something like, ‘It's sunny there, isn’t it?’ or ‘If you’re heading out, bring an umbrella. It might rain,’. That cheeky little hamster!” Wheein paused in awe. “So, the reason you came here is to check up on me?” Wheein asked, leaning her head on Yongsun’s.

 

“Yes and I was also hoping that you’d come back with me,” Yongsun said in a very cautious manner. She knows how important this is to Wheein but the thought of Wheein being in danger and unreachable, scares Yongsun to death. She takes this as a wake up call for her and she knows that she’s lucky enough that she’s not too late. But even if Yongsun is so eager to drag Wheein’s back to Korea, it is still up to Wheein if she’ll go with Yongsun or finish this 1 year trip. Wheein has Yongsun’s full support. 

 

What Yong didn’t know is that Wheein is already planning to cut her trip short. Before she went for a hike, she already planned to go back to Korea one week after the hike.Wheein felt like this trip is already over and there’s no more places she'd like to revisit. If there’s a new place she wanted to go to, she wanted to do it with Yongsun but first, she had to knock some sense into Yongsun that’s why she wanted to go back to Korea earlier than planned.

 

“Hmm, why?” Wheein already had an answer in mind regarding Yongsun’s question but she wanted to trip Yongsun for a bit.

 

“Oh, I, uh…” Yongsun suddenly can’t form the right sentences in her mind. 

 

“Calm down, I can feel you panicking,” Wheein laughed and squeezed Yongsun’s thigh.

 

Yongsun sighed before she spoke. “I can’t lose you. I almost did and just the thought of it scares me to death,” Yongsun said, holding Wheein tighter.

 

“Yong,” Wheein’s tone is a little lower than the usual, “What if I chose to continue to finish this one year trip? Would you still be able to understand and support me? Would that be okay with you?” Wheein asked. She just wanted to hear Yongsun’s thought about this but she is definitely coming back to Korea with her.

 

“I’m not gonna lie or even sugarcoat this. This will sound a little selfish, okay? Well, I’d be sad and feel a little frustrated if you’d choose that but I have no right to stop you. And it will make me feel worse to force you to choose something you don’t want to. I love you, Wheein-ah. But I don’t own you. Whatever it is that you choose to do, I’ll support you even if it’ll hurt me a little.” Yongsun said. Wheein can sense the sadness in Yongsun’s voice but she can’t stop herself from smiling. “This is your life before I came and this is who you are. This made the Jung Wheein that I know and love. I can’t take this away from you,” Yongsun said, almost whispering.

 

“Actually, I-,” Wheein was interrupted by a knock on the door. 

 

“Oh, must be the food! I am starving!” Yongsun’s voice suddenly rose up and fled to the door. 

 

She must be really hungry, Wheein thought.

 

***

 

Dinner ended and they even had a group video call with Hyejin and Byul. Wheein got scolded by Byul and for the first time, Byul acted her age. She even made Wheein call her ‘Unnie’ for the first time! 

 

Right now, Wheein and Yongsun snuggled together in bed with only the desk lamp on Wheein's side lighting the room. 

 

“Yong,” Wheein called, checking if Yongsun’s still awake.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Until when did you book this room?” 

 

“Tomorrow. I’m just waiting for your decision. If you want to finish your trip, I’ll head back to Korea tomorrow. But if you deci-,”

 

“Let’s go home tomorrow,” Wheein smiled at Yongsun.

 

“What?” Yongsun frowned, trying to understand what Wheein just said. 

 

“I’ll go home with you tomorrow,” Wheein said, a little slower.

 

Yongsun sat up and looked at Wheein weirdly.

 

“I was hoping for a ‘yey!’ or something close to that. I didn’t think I’d get such feedback,” Wheein acted as if disappointed in Yongsun.

 

“Are we really going back to Korea together?” Yongsun asked, a smile slowly appearing.

 

“Yes!” Wheein, returning Yongsun’s smile with a grin.

 

Yongsun hovered Wheein and shook her shoulders as she asked, “Really?!”

 

“Oh my gosh, Yong!”

 

“You’re not joking, right?!”

 

“Jesus! Yongsun!”

 

Wheein, then, got drowned by Yongsun’s playful kisses and tickles. She was really happy seeing Yongsun like this. It’s as if she felt content, like this is the only missing part in Wheein’s life.

 

As Yongsun calmed down, Wheein pulled Yong to lay beside her.

 

“Can you spoon me this time?” Wheein asked.

 

“Of course, Babe,” Yongsun said and winced as she pulled Wheein closer and looped her arm on Wheein’s body while she held her hand. 

 

“Wow! I thought you hated that,” Wheein said.

 

“I still hate it. I just tried to use it to see if it’s not so bad but I still hate it. I’m sorry,” Yongsun whispered, about to doze off.

 

“I love you, Yong. Good night,” Wheein whispered. She waited for a response but all she got was little soft snores from Yongsun. It just goes to show how tired she was. 

 

Wheein fiddled Yongsun’s fingers with hers until she fell asleep.

 

***

 

Morning came and the first thing they did was book a flight going to Korea tonight and, luckily, they found one. 

 

“Yong, would you like to go with me back to the pub or stay here? I want to properly introduce you to my friends. Also, it might take awhile for me to pack my bags. There’s this other place too that I wanted to bring you. It’s my favorite pastry shop and the owners are my friends too! You’d love their cream puff and apple tart,” Wheein said as she put her pants on.

 

“Of course I’ll come with you! I’ll meet you at the lobby,” Yongsun said, kissing Wheein on the cheeks before she left.

 

Wheein was too hungry to even freshen herself up. Thanks to their early morning make out session, her lips are a little puffy and pink. As unusual as it is for her, Wheein felt too pretty today. She even winked at herself in the mirror after she briefly fixed her hair.

 

First, they went to Wheein’s favorite pastry shop. She introduced Yongsun to the old couple who owns the shop and even shared stories and laughter with each other as they consumed their breakfast. After they’ve had their meal, Wheein bid farewell to the old couple for the second time. The old couple even gave one box of assorted baked goods to each of them.

 

When they reached the pub, Wheein asked Yongsun to wait downstairs as she collected her stuff. Helga volunteered to entertain Yongsun while waiting for Wheein. Yongsun and Helga’s conversation started dry and awkward. Maybe because Yongsun’s still a little jealous that Wheein and her slept in the same room for more than a week and Helga’s physical features, didn’t help either. She’s hot and cool. Wheein mentioned to her last night that Helga’s around her early 40’s and looking at her right now, Yongsun cannot believe it. Helga looked like she was just around Yongsun’s age! A couple more subjects and jokes, Helga eased her way to Yongsun’s heart. Yong realized that Helga is very funny and easy to talk to.

 

Wheein walked down the stairs carefully since she could not see the next step. She spotted Yongsun laughing with Helga and called her.

 

“Yong! Help me please!” 

 

Yongsun and Helda looked at where the voice came from. 

 

“Ah, !” Helga winced at Wheein’s situation.

 

“Is it okay for me to go behind the counter?” Yongsun asked.

 

“Of course!” 

 

Helga offered them to spend their lunch there and wait until they needed to go to the airport. Hours had passed and they all bid their farewell. Wheein and Yongsun left the place and headed to the airport. Yongsun carried Wheein’s front bag and Wheein’s carrying the trek bag and the messenger bag. “If it’s getting too heavy, don’t hesitate to give it to me. I’m used to this,” Wheein said.

 

The sky is dark and Wheein’s getting a little sleepy. It’s almost an hour or two since their plane departed. Wheein turned off her iPad and placed them back in her messenger bag. Yongsun, on the other hand, is still busy on her laptop. Must be work, Wheein thought. She closed down the window and leaned closer to Yongsun to give her girlfriend a peck on the cheek.

 

“I’ll sleep now,” Wheein whispered.

 

“Oh, okay. I’m almost done in 5. I’m just polishing this report and I’m done. You can sleep on my shoulders if you want,” Yongsun said.

 

“Nah, it’s okay,” Wheein said as she curled up her jacket and made it as her pillow. “I’m actually more comfortable with this,” Wheein laughed and booped Yong’s nose. 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Hey, don’t be a worrywart. It makes you look old,” Wheein jokes, hoping that this can reassure her.

 

“,” Yongsun said as she rolled her eyes.

 

“I love you, Yong. Good night,” Wheein smiled at her sweetly as her eyes fell shut. 

 

“I love you too, Whee.” Yongsun looked at her girlfriend for a couple more minutes as she squeezed her hand. “I love you so much,” she said again, almost whispering.