Start: Better Days

Passerby

Vienna - The Fray


 

“Wheein! Wake up!” A voice can be heard. “Wheein!”

 

Wheein opened her eyes and saw someone partially hovering her. The sun behind the person was making it hard for her to see who it is. All she can see is a black silhouette. Her fear and vulnerability caused by the dream made her impulsively hugged the person without knowing who that is. She just hugged that person really tight. “It’s okay. I’m here.” The person said as she returned the hug to Wheein. It took her some time to realize who is it but it didn’t matter. All she wanted to focus on right now is what she’s feeling and this moment. She feels better. Not just feeling better from the nightmare but better in general. She couldn’t understand why but right now she just wanted to dwell on that feeling. She doesn't want to let go. For the first time in a long time, there was someone when she needed one.

 

“Yongsun-unnie, can I stay like this for a little longer?” Wheein asked Yong as she rested her head on Yong’s chest.

 

“You can for as long as you want, Wheeinie.” Yong said then she tightens the hug. It’s weird for Yong when she heard Wheein said, “unnie”. It must be a really bad dream, Yong thought. 

 

Seconds had passed and Yong realized that Wheein had fallen asleep again. She carefully laid Wheein down back to the wooden floor. She saw that the sun will soon hit Wheein's face. She took her yoga mat and a clean towel from her car and placed it inside the house. She first placed the yoga mat in Wheein’s mother’s room. She then straightens out the towel that she placed above it for hygiene and extra comfort. She took off her sweater and rolled it down so Wheein can have a pillow to rest her head on. It’s cold but she thought Wheein will need it more.

 

Once everything is in place, Yong went out and prayed that Wheein isn’t that heavy. Good thing I’m a very active person! If not, I might as well literally drag her to that room. Yong said to herself. She bent down with a squatting position then scooped both of her arms under Wheein’s neck and legs. Jesus! She is so light! Is she even eating anything?! Yong thought to herself.

 

She gently placed Wheein to the mat that she prepared. She carefully did it so Wheein won’t cut her sleep. After she successfully placed Wheein there, she took a good look at Wheein.

 

She’s really pretty. She just looked so tired and sad. Yong observed.

 

Yongsun realized that it’ll take some time before Wheein can wake up so she looked around to see the whole interior of the house. She took pictures of the places where she believes she can do something about and wrote notes on it. There was this room that caught Yong’s eyes. The door was slightly open and due to her curiosity, she went in. It was already cleaned and saw a picture displayed on the bedside table. She looked at it and there’s two women and a kid: one in her sixties and the other one is in her 30’s. In the middle of the two is what Yongsun believes to be a small Wheein. Yong saw how happy Wheein is here.

 

Yong felt her phone vibrating so she took it from her pocket but her car keys got in the way and it dropped on the floor. She took it and saw an old wooden box that is covered in dust under the bed. She didn’t want to stick her nose anywhere but she just couldn’t control herself. She pulled it out and saw that there was no lock or something. She then thought that it might not be that important because if it is, it should be somewhere safe. She opened the lid and saw a bunch of folders and envelopes piled in there. She took one folder and opened it. It was a restraining order. She didn’t read it that much and turned to the following pages. It was a photo of a kid with bruises in her body. They are close up shots so she couldn’t see who the kid is. Yong thought that maybe Wheein’s mother is a lawyer or something. She turned to the next page and couldn’t believe what she saw. It was the face of a kid with bruises on the face and the lower lip was cut. The kid looked familiar even with the bruises and it scared her. She looked for confirmation on the written report below the photo and she was right. She felt her insides get twisted when she read the name “Jung Wheein”. Right then and there, she closed the folder, placed it back, and covered the lid. She didn’t know what to feel first because everything that she can possibly feel hit her all at the same time. She couldn’t wrap her head around it and felt the need to go out.

 

She walked out to the porch and saw a box of Marlboro was lying on the floor. It must’ve fallen from Wheein’s pocket when Yong carried her. She picked it up and the photo that she saw earlier flashed in her mind. Does Hyejin knows about any of this?  Yong thought to herself then she looked at the pack of cigarettes and said in an understanding tone, “You must be Wheein’s companion?” 

 

Yong’s eyes never left the floor of the sidewalk as she walked around the street still thinking about what had happened to her and who did it. Who did it? Yong halted in her walk and looked straight ahead. She stood there for a while and was woken in her daydream when an old lady bumped on her. She went to the side of the sidewalk and saw a coffee shop across the street. Yong remembered she haven’t had breakfast and felt the need to drink a strong coffee. A buzz could help her think straight.

 

“Is that all?” The barista asked.

 

Yong suddenly remembered Wheein. She wanted to buy something good for Wheein but the line behind made her feel pressured to order quickly so she decided to get Wheein the same as hers.

 

“To go?” The barista asked again.

 

“Yes.” 

 

Yong was back to Wheein’s house and she saw her sitting on the floor of the porch scribbling something on a paper. She was surprised when she realized that Wheein is wearing new clothes. While Yong was gone, Wheein woke up and took a bath then came back to her place. Yong wondered how long has she been gone. 

 

She went inside and greeted Wheein.

 

“Hey,” Yong called Wheein’s attention thoughtfully.

 

Wheein looked up to take a good look at Yong and stared at her longer than she intended. Deep inside, she wanted to see the face of the person who, sort of, saved her from something horrendous but she’s also embarrassed from what happened. She didn’t want this kind of attention, or affection, from someone she barely knows. Worry was evident in Yongsun’s eyes and Wheein wanted to hate it but the more she tried, the more she’s falling into it.

 

Yong raised her hand that was holding the paper bag which contains the breakfast she bought for the two of them. “I bought us some breakfast.” Yong noticed the stare from Wheein but she just brushed it off. She sat beside Wheein then she felt something weird from her cheek. Oh! The cigarettes! Yong took it out and placed it in front of Wheein. Yong then and gave her the coffee and food that she bought for her. "Found it on the floor."

 

“Thanks.” Wheein smiled softly at Yong then she took her own cup and asked what kind of coffee did she get her.

 

“Latte with a bit of cinnamon dust.” Yong gestured her hand as if she sprinkling something on top of Wheein’s cup as she said the word ‘dust’. Her heart skipped a beat when it earned a smile from Wheein.

 

“Hey,” Wheein took a deep breath then looked at her own cup. She’s wondering if she should tell her what’s on her mind or not but then she decided she should. “Thank you for earlier. I was a mess.” Wheein owed it to her after all.

 

All this time, Yong thought Wheein wasn’t aware of what happened earlier. She thought that she was half asleep or something. Her chest suddenly felt lighter but she didn’t know why. She figured that the two of them are, still, strangers at some point. It also made things awkward because of how they first met. Yongsun suddenly felt hot and funny. Her breath won’t stop jumping. Yong remembered how things went down that night.

 

***

 

“Unnie, you’re pretty but that’s not enough to get a woman to strip you !” Hyejin suddenly teased Yong.

 

Yong who was comfortably lying on the couch while watching television sat up straight and eyed Hyejin. “HEY! HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT?!” Yong yelled at Hyejin who was busy working on the kitchen table.

 

“HOW DARE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SINGLE WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN GO OUT?!” Hyejin yelled back.

 

“STOP SHOUTING!” Yong yelled back at Hyejin.

 

“STOP COMPLAINING AND LET’S DRINK!” Hyejin fired back.

 

“What?!” It was a sudden invitation from Hyejin and Yong’s not even sure if she heard the girl right.

 

“Let’s drink, Unnie. I’m so stressed with this ty work and, right now, I don’t give a single if I get fired from ‘not giving a ’.” Hyejin closed her laptop.

 

“Yeah, ,” Yong said in a low voice when she saw how the stress ate Hyejin the whole day.

 

“,” Hyejin replied.

 

“Sometimes I’m amazed at how we communicate with each other, you know? I mean we just keep saying the word ‘’ to each other-” Yong was interrupted when Hyejin stonedly said, “Let’s just drink, Unnie.”

 

-

 

The two women had been drinking for a while now and they ran short of beer. Due to stress and exhaustion, Hyejin got tipsy quicker than Yong which led the older woman to go to the convenience store and buy more beer.

 

“I’ll be back,” Yong told Hyejin who was smiling at her like she wants a belly-rub.

 

“You’re the best, Unnie. Let’s get waaaaaaassssssteeeeeeddd!!!!!” Hyejin waved both of her hands in the air with her arms stretched. “Be careful, Unnie!”

 

Yong only drank a bottle and she’s sure she can feel the alcohol slowly kicking in. The convenient store isn’t that far from the hotel that she was staying at. Hotel beers are too expensive that their wallets will get drunk first before them. She just carried a tote bag with her because she’s too shy to carry a plastic bag full of beer cans inside the lobby.

 

She arrived at the convenience store and while choosing what flavored beer she should buy someone hit against the fridge door. The sudden event made Yongsun squeal and flinch so hard that she almost dropped the cans of beer. She looked on the other side of the glass door and saw a woman who’s a little shorter than her.

 

“Agh! Son of a !” The woman in front of her rubbed her own head and Yong winced as if she can feel the pain too.

 

Yong stepped back to check up on the woman who is now strangely staring at her. “Are you okay?” Yong thought there must be something wrong with the woman because she’s unresponsive. She took down the basket with the beers in it and went back to check on the woman. “Hey, are you okay?” Yong tried again and this time the woman blinked her eyes a couple of times and smiled coyly.

 

“Yes, I’m okay. Not everyone gets to humiliate themselves in front of a beautiful lady.” Yong was caught off guard when she heard what the woman in front of her said. She was definitely hitting up on Yong. 

 

It’s either the alcohol’s doing or Yongsun’s eagerness to date someone that made her gush out all the confidence and had the courage to flirt back. Yong said, “Smooth. I like that.” With a smirk on her face and introduced herself. “I’m Yongsun,” Yong stretched her arm and hand to the cute woman in front of her and added, “And you are?”.

 

Before the woman can properly introduce herself, her attention was stolen by two women who were funnily walking towards them then one of them said, “Puppy dog! C’mon!”. Before she can do anything, the two women drag ‘Puppy Dog’ away. Yongsun figured they might be her friend.

 

With a heavy heart, she picked up the basket and resumed to stuff the basket with beer cans without even looking at what she’s getting. She paid it all and placed it to her tote back. She walked a little quicker than usual because she couldn’t contain her anger. 

 

Yong arrived at her hotel room and went straight to Hyejin who was busy browsing her phone.

 

“Hyejin-ah, have I done something wrong to you or to anyone that you know of?” Hyejin blankly looked at Yongsun. She’s used Yong’s sudden burst of emotion. 

 

“No, why?” Hyejin asked.

 

“SOMEONE HIT ON ME AT THE CONVENIENCE STORE AND SHE WAS REALLY CUTE AND HER FRIENDS DRAG HER AWAY FROM ME AND I WAS LEFT ALONE THERE THINKING I THAT ‘FINALLY, I’M GOING TO SEE SOMEONE!’. WHAT THE IS WRONG WITH MEEEEEEE?!” Yong was unforgiving at this moment. She was just a human being with a red face. Even after she stopped venting, the veins from her neck is still visible. 

 

“Jesus be playin’ with you, Unnie.” Hyejin grabbed two beer cans from the plastic bag at placed it on the table. One for her and one for Yong. “Also, I have a piece of good news for you too so you better chill there. ‘Kay?”

 

“Okay?” Yong shoot Hyejin a quizzical face.

 

Hyejin took a deep breath and, “I’m canceling the wedding.”

 

***

 

 

 

 

It was a rollercoaster ride for Yong that night.

 

“Where’s Hyejin, by the way?” Wheein asked.

 

“Oh, she’s doing something related to work.” Yong answered then she took a sip of her coffee.

 

“She’s a busy woman, huh.” Wheein took her turn.

 

“Another reason why I don’t want to work with her.” Yong humored hoping to lighten up the atmosphere and it worked. 

 

“Is she still a pain in the ?” Wheein jived in.

 

Yong smiled and nodded profusely. “Very much.”

 

“Well, she always gets her way. That’s how she rolls.” Wheein chuckled. 

 

Wheein noticed how adorable Yongsun’s smile is but she couldn’t help the fact that Yongsun might have found out about her past. Wheein found out what Yongsun did earlier. She’s not mad at Yong. Whatever inside that box, she already moved past it. 

 

“If you did something wrong, you should clean your tracks to get rid of pieces of evidence,” Wheein said. She figured that Yongsun must feel so heavy and bothered when she shouldn’t be. It would be unfair for her. Wheein decided to tell her about it.

 

Wheein can feel how Yong became so stiff. 

 

“It’s alright, though. It’s in the past now. I'm not mad about it, honestly. If I were you, I’d do the same thing.” Wheein added and gave Yong a comforting nudge.

 

“Still, I’m in the wrong. I’m really sorry.” Yong said.

 

“Forgiven. Please don’t beat yourself out. Did you read them?” Wheein asked.

 

“Nope. I just looked at some photos in a folder then when I realized what I was looking at, I put it down.”

 

“You must be in shock. You forgot to push it back under the bed. There are also handprints on the box ‘cause of the dust.” Wheein nudged Yong again then said, “You must be dying to know what happened. I’ll tell you.

 

My parents lost their funds and most of their huge assets because of my father. He had a lot of debts both in his name and my mother’s because he needed to fund his vices. When there’s no more wallet to fish out of the pocket and no more cash to spend, he started to become a ‘monster’. It was the only word that I can describe him. Whenever he’s starting to feel the familiar itch, he becomes a walking time bomb. You don’t want to bump on him or even catch him looking at you. I was peacefully playing with something under the kitchen table and he was sitting on one of the chairs. I have this flip-phone toy that plays different music if you press its buttons. I accidentally leaned on the buttons. It was too loud because there’s not much noise inside the house. I know what will happen if I do something that will catch his attention that’s why I froze which I hated myself for. I was just sitting there like a statue until someone grabbed me from behind. It was him. He pulled me and don’t really remember what happened after. The most excruciating part is the healing process. God must have shed a tear when he saw me cry every night from the pain.

While I was in that process, I was also being brought to court hearing several times. He was sent to prison for a couple of years and there’s already a restraining order after his release. After that, we went here in Jeonju to live with my grandma.”

 

Wheein looked at Yong and said, “That’s what the papers are all about inside that box. I’m not saying all of these because I want you to carry my pain too. I told you these because I’m sure it’ll bring you some kind of peace or whatever.”

 

“Is that was causing you the nightmares?” Yongsun asked.

 

“Again, I’ve already moved past of the things he did. It’s him that’s causing me those nightmares or I don't know? Maybe? Because I don't dream about what he did. It's just him or us in different peculiar situations.” 

 

“Does Hyejin know about all of these?”

 

Wheein shook her head and said, “Nope. Please don’t tell her. I’m sure she won’t get over this.”

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” Yong nodded.

 

“Okay!” Wheein said in a loud and high-pitched voice. Yongsun was surprised by the sudden action. “Enough about this. Let’s hop onto the next topic. I would love to see that frown to leave your pretty face.” Both women laughed softly.

 

“Yongsun-unnie, you haven’t answered my question before. I think I have given you enough space and time to think about it.” Wheein started.

 

With a curious look on Yong’s face, she asked, “I don’t remember. What’s that about?”

 

Wheein smiled and said, “Before, I asked you if you would go out with me if I asked you. Would you?”

 

“Ah. I remember now.” Yong chuckled and asked, “Are you asking for assurance? Because I don’t like it.”

 

Wheein laughed. “Unnie, I can clearly remember how flusttered you are that second.”

 

Is she not going to ask me out? Ugh. Yong thought to herself.

 

“Whatever.” Yongsun rolled her eyes.

 

Wheein took a bite of the stylish bread that Yong bought for her and she remembered something. 

 

“This thing right here reminded me of the cream puffs I used to buy back in Iceland. There was this pastry shop that an old couple owns across my apartment building. They are the few of the people that I had gotten close to throughout my constant migration.”

 

“You must have been to too many places. I envy you. What was it like?” Yongsun asked.

 

“Jesus, I should write a book about this. That question is getting a little bit more annoying every time it pops up. But because you are so kind to me, I’ll answer it.” Wheein chuckled then told her about her nomadic life.

 

“Oh, I really envy you right now. It’s frustrating how we need to be part of the system just to be financially secure and balanced.” Yong said.

 

“I’m still part of the system. I just have my own way. It’s not that easy too, you know. There was a time that I have no projects to work on and I’m running out of cash so I worked as a dishwasher at a diner and a cashier at a convenience store back in Fukuoka. I have to work two jobs to afford a liveable cheaper place. I have to adjust to things that I can afford.”

 


“WOAH! THAT WAS ONE HELL OF AN ADVENTURE!” An amused Yongsun said loudly.

 

“One day won’t suffice if you want to hear all the things that happened to me in those five years of traveling.” 

 

“Was there a time where you almost felt like ‘Oh, I think I want to settle down here for good’?” Yong asked.

 

“Well, yes. Once. It was because of a woman I met in Daegu. We never dated. Actually, I told her what I feel then she said that she’s not into women. That same day, I left. She is my first love so imagine how heartbroken I was that day. The rejection didn’t break my heart. Me leaving her and a huge probability that I am not going to see her anymore is what broke me and tore me apart.” 

 

“. Did you regret confessing to her?” Yong asked.

 

“Nope. Not a single bit. Wherever she is now, I hope she’s happy.” Wheein said then took a sip of the now lukewarm coffee. “We should start working now and tomorrow, it’s my turn to ask you questions.” Wheein smiled at Yongsun and stood up.

 

*

 

It was getting dark when they heard a car engine stopped near. Wheein went out and saw Hyejin got out of her car. 

 

“Jin-ah! You should’ve just came here tomorrow. It’s getting dark and we’re almost done for today.” Wheein told Hyejin who was walking towards her.

 

“Just checking on you two. I was hoping to catch the two of you doing some dirty work.” Hyejin said then winked at Wheein who laughed.

 

“Literally? Yes, we did a lot. With whatever's going on inside you mind? I'm sorry but nothing happened but I did my best Jin-ah.” Wheein rode along.

 

Hyejin placed a hand on Wheein’s shoulder and squeezed it. “You must’ve had a hard time. She’s a very unusual woman.” Hyejin said. The two women laughed. “Where’s Yongsun-unnie?” Hyejin’s eyes roaming the place.

 

“She’s at the back garden sorting the trash. She’s wondering if there’s something she can recycle.” Wheein pointed her hand at the back door.

 

“I bet you and Yongsun-unnie haven’t eaten anything. If Kim Yongsun is not Kim Yongsun then the two of you would’ve been really full by now.” Hyejin smirked at Wheein.

 

“I get the reference,” Wheein nodded. “A while ago, I saw her playing cards against herself. You want to know what happened next?”

 

“What?”

 

“She saw me looking at her and I was expecting her to be embarrassed and all but I was wrong. She smiled at me and she ing waved at me. You know what she said?”

 

“What?”

 

“This is so fun!” Wheein mimicked Yongsun with a small voice. Hyejin broke. She started laughing so hard.

 

“Classic Yongsun-unnie.” Hyejin said when she finally stopped from laughing. She punched Wheein's arm and said, "I see you are starting to like her. Will take you some time to get into her pants though."

 

Just seconds after, the two can hear someone shouting outside. Just by the name that the person outside was shouting, Wheein knew who they are.

 

“PUPPY DOOOOOG!” It shouted.

 

Then there were two women standing outside the gate of Wheein’s place. It was Byul and Seulgi.

 

Byul lifted her hand that carries a white plastic bag.

 

“MISS WHEEIN! LET’S DRINK ALL OF THESE!!” Byul shouted.

 

Hyejin looked at Wheein with a frown and asked, “PUPPY DOG?"

 

“Aren’t they cute?” Wheein replied.

 

Wheein, who was standing on the porch with Hyejin, waved at the two women outside and told them to come in. The two immediately opened the gate and ran funnily to Wheein. 

 

Byul and Seulgi was smiling like they won a lottery but their gaze was moving back and forth at Wheein and Hyejin. Byul pointed her hand at Hyejin and asked Wheein, “Who is she?”.

 

“Oh! This is Hyejin, my childhood friend.” Then Wheein turned to Hyejin and said, “And this is Byul and Seulgi.” Wheein pointed who’s who.

 

"I actually know Seulgi-unnie. She was my roommate back in college!" Hyejin said.

 

"Yeah! Hi! You look so different now, Hyejin!" Seulgi asked. "I mean good different." Seulgi added.

 

Wheein and Seulgi eyed each other then Seulgi nodded at Wheein as if they agreed into something.

 

“Wheeinie! We have good news for you!” Byul said with so much excitement.

 

“You guys are dating?” Wheein asked even though she knew. 

 

Seulgi and Moonbyul’s smile was gone and their jaw dropped. 

 

“How did you know?” Seulgi asked.

 

“You guys are too drunk last night and you two kept on saying ‘My girlfriend’. Anyway, I’ll order some food for us. I’m starving.”

 

“Wheein-ah! Was that Hye-” Yongsun appeared on the front door and her eyes grew wide not because of Hyejin but because of the other two who are with them. Before Yong could say something, Byul spoke.

 

“YOU’RE THE ONE FROM THE CONVENIENCE STORE!” Byul said, almost shouting.

 

Wheein could only cough forcefully. She can see Hyejin’s puzzled expression.

 

“Ah! Hahahahaha! Maybe you’re mistaken!” A shaken Yong defended herself.

 

“What?! No way! I can clearly remember you! You guys stood at the beer section.” Byul insisted. Wheein hated how sharp Byul is. She turned to Wheein and asked, “Wheein-ah, isn’t she the one who’s hitting on you the other night in the convenience store? Seulgi just snatched you away.” Byul, now, turned to Yongsun and said, “I even apologized to you.”

 

It was Hyejin’s time to blow off a forced cough. All of the attention went to her.

 

“What? I’m right, aren’t I?” Byul asked.

 

Hyejin tucked her hair to the back of her ears and said, “I think you are,” without breaking her eye contact with Yongsun.

 

Wheein cleared and said, “Well, what do you say Yongsun-unnie?”

 

“Alright! Jesus! It was me. You happy?” Yongsun said as she turned the question to Hyejin.

 

“Super.” Hyejin replied with a wink.

 

“Okay!” Wheein said in a high pitched voice. “Since everyone seemed really happy except for Kim Yongsun, what do you guys want to eat? All on me. I’m starving.” Wheein added while rubbing her abdomen.

 

*

 

Everyone is gathered in the dining area and eating comfortable except for one person--Kim Yongsun. So many things happened to her in one day. She then noticed how Wheein ate so little despite her hunger.

 

“I thought you are starving?” Yongsun asked Wheein who was sitting beside her.

 

“What?” Wheein asked.

 

“Earlier, you said you are starving yet you ate so little. No wonder, you feel so light when I carried you.” Yongsun said then all of a sudden Byul started to choke while pointing at a clueless Yongsun. Seulgi gave her a bottled water and patted Byul’s back. Yong had a glimpse of Hyejin who’s smirking at her.

 

“What?” Yongsun asked.

 

“You said that you carried me,” Wheein answered but based on Yongsun’s expression, Wheein felt like she has to explain it further. “They gave malice out of your sentence.”

 

“But I just carried you,” Yong said to Wheein who are a little frustrated and amused.

 

Wow! Was the only word that Wheein could tell herself.

 

“Unnie, we both know that your intentions are clean. It’s just these people whose imaginations are running wild. They think we had or something close to that.” Wheein explained.

 

“WHAT?!” Yongsun looked at Hyejin whose smirk’s still evident on the face. “HYEJIN-AH! DON’T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT!” Yongsun wanted to scold the other two women but decided not to. She thought that she didn’t know them much to do such a thing.

 

“Unnie, chill. You look guilty.” Wheein teased. “Also, I think we should start poppin’ that soju bottles.” Wheein stood up and took two bottles of soju and opened one on the table.

 

“I’m not going to drink. I’m not good with alcohol and I have to drive Hyejin home.” Yongsun said.

 

“Okay,” Wheein said as she sat down. "I'll drink your shots, then." Wheein leaned closer to Yongsun and booped Yong's nose.

 

*

 

Three bottles of soju are already down and Hyejin is already starting to slur her words. 

 

“I’m so happy for the two of you,” Hyejin said to the Seulgi and Byul. “I’m going to be with the one I love too. You know how difficult it is to be in a frowned upon situation here in this country.”

 

Byul and Seulgi can only nod at Hyejin.

 

Wheein leaned her back in the chair and watched all of them except for Yongsun who’s sitting beside her. She couldn’t believe her eyes. She’s seeing something she thought she’ll never see--Hyejin, an old friend, and Byul and Seulgi, the new ones. Wheein looked at the one sitting beside her. Yongsun. Wheein doesn’t know if Yongsun fits the slot as her friend.

 

A shot glass was placed down roughly causing it to make a loud thump on the table. Wheein turned and looked at where it came from and saw Hyejin scrunching up her face due to the bitter taste of the alcohol.

 

“You know what?” Hyejin started.

 

“What?” Wheein asked.

 

“This looks like a gay conference.” Hyejin then laughed so hard that it made everyone laugh too.

 

*

 

Seven bottles of soju and everyone is already on the edge. Yongsun can't believe how much alcohol it took for everyone to finally get drunk. Clearly, Hyejin is already -faced. She’s even having a hard time opening her eyes. Seulgi and Byul are whispering sweet nothings to each other and Wheein? Wheein looked at her and said, “You’re really pretty, you know? I even ran back to that goddamn store only to find that you are gone. I really like you. I think I like you even more now, Solar Kim.” Wheein giggled.

 

Yongsun looked at her with wide eyes. Yong couldn’t believe what she just heard from a drunk Wheein. 

 

“It amazes me how you got so surprised when in the first place you already know about that.” Wheein giggled.

 

“WHEENIE!” Hyejin’s voice was a little louder than normal. Wheein looked at her and saw the tears that are running down from Hyejin’s face. “I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I should’ve been there when you needed me. I should’ve called. I should’ve visited.” Hyejin was losing it. Tears are flowing like crazy.

 

The ?! First, it was Seulgi and Byul. Now, it's Hyejin's who's interrupting our moment. Also, ! Why do Hyejin have to bring this up? Wheein thought to herself and noticed how hard Hyejin is crying right now. She really is a baby.

 

“It’s okay now, Jin-ah. It’s all in the past. What’s important is now.” Wheein assured Hyejin.

 

“NO!” Hyejin stood up clumsily and knelt beside Wheein. Yong stood too and went to Hyejin’s side. Hyejin grabbed Wheein’s hand and started slapping herself with it. “SLAP ME! PUNCH ME! CURSE AT ME! PLEASE BE MAD AT ME! I DESERVE ALL OF IT! I’LL ACCEPT EVERYTHING, WHEEIN! EVERYTHING!” Wheein stiffened her hand and pulled it away. She nodded at Yongsun and the latter stepped back and let the two have their moment.

 

“Jin-ah. I already forgave you. I don’t know the reason behind all of your actions from the past but it didn’t matter now. I already forgave you because I need to. You wanted me to be mad at you because you couldn’t forgive yourself, right?” Wheein talked in a very calm and soothing voice. Hyejin nodded then rested her head on Wheein’s chest. “I’ll be honest with you. I was mad and hated you terribly but it only made things worse. Please let go of all the pain the past had caused us. Let it just be a reminder for us that we should not just treat each other better but ourselves as well. It’s okay now, Tofu baby.” The both of them giggled and hugged each other tight.

 

Yongsun who was just watching them is bawling her eyes out because of Wheein and Hyejin. Meanwhile, Byul and Seulgi are making out on the other side of the table.

 


just got home. been on a 'one-way' travel for almost a month. i wanted to extend it but i needed to go back home for therapy and appointments. don't know when i'll be back out there but I know i'll miss the scent of the water, the sound of the waves, and the FOOD! the crew from the small beach resort i stayed in invited me to join their 'boodle fight'. nothing better than making friends with the locals. I ALSO GOT FREE KING CRAB! FREE! THEY GAVE ME KING CRAB!

anyway, hope you are all doing great too! KAMPAI!