Leaving (Part 1)

Passerby

 

 


It’s three hours before noon and Wheein was standing in front of her mother’s grave with a map in hand.

 

Wheein decided to visit her mom and grandma before she leaves Jeonju tomorrow morning.

 

She unfolded it and two colors from a marker can be seen on the piece of paper. As Wheein migrated from places to places, she would mark it after she’d gone from that certain place. Wheein would mark the city with a red marker if she feels like she hasn't explored the city enough and plans to go back and she’ll mark them blue if she’s satisfied with her stay in that place and if there’s no more reason to go back. 

 

Wheein squatted low beside her mother's grave and showed the map to it.

 

“Hey, Mom… look at the places I’ve been to. Soon, it’ll all be filled with blue ink,” Wheein grinned like a kid as if bragging to her Mom about her good grades. There was a soft giggle trapped in . Wheein folded the paper again and slid it inside her overcoat pocket. “I remember, when I was like six or seven years old, you bought a small globe from a garage sale. You showed me all the places you wanted to go to and you also told me how you’ve always dreamed of traveling to at least one of those cities…” there was a long pause. Wheein doesn’t want to cry in front of her Mom’s grave. Wheein calmed herself by taking deep breaths and when she is, she continued. “Whenever I get to see beautiful scenery, taste a really great food, or meet wonderful people… y-you don’t know how much I wish you were with me,” instead of letting her tears fall, she chuckled, “Because I know that aside from me, you’d appreciate them the most…” she stopped talking because just the mere thought of what she’s about to say, chokes her already. “I-I’m sorry I haven’t visited for a long time. It’s been so long that I have so many things to share with you!” Wheein smiled and as soon as she blinked her eyes, a tear fell. She wiped it immediately, her smile still there. “And Mom, I met a really wonderful woman. Her name’s Yongsun. Kim Yongsun. You’d love her! She’s just so amazing that I can’t find the right words to describe her. Anyway, once I get back from my trip, I’ll bring her here. I met other wonderful people too. There’s this friend I met recently. Her name is Byul and, I don’t know, we just clicked so easily. It felt like I’ve known her for a very long time. I met your friends too. Mi Ran and Dong Wan. Hyejin is doing great, as expected,” Wheein jerked, remembering something. “Oh! I visited grandma yesterday. I brought her her favorite flowers,” Wheein’s tone is getting softer again but not in a sad way. Wheein’s actually smiling at her Mom’s headstone. “And Mom,” she sighed and that’s when all the tears she held back escaped her eyes. “I’m doing really great now. I never thought I’d be okay but I did. I’m really happy right now,” Wheein wiped her tears just like a toddler would. She wiped them dry with the back of her hands. “I wish you could see me right now, Mom. I know that you and grandma will be proud,” Wheein said, still wiping the tears that continuously fell.

 

***

 

Wheein just finished stuffing her 60 liter black trek bag and when she stood straight she arched her back a bit to relieve the strain on her back.

 

“How can you possibly carry that?!” Seulgi asked, watching Wheein. She was eating a rice bowl that Mi Ran made for all of them. Byul, doing the same thing, said, “If only you were there at the airport when I first met Wheein, you’d be amazed how she casually carried a backpack more than half of her size,” Byul said to Seulgi whose mouth is now stuffed with food.

 

“Oh, have you guys seen my brown backpack?” Wheein asked Byul and Seulgi.

 

“It’s in your room,” Byul said before she took a bite of her food.

 

“YOU HAVE ANOTHER BAG???!!!! NO WONDER YOUR HEIGHT STOPPED GROWING!” Seulgi said and both her and Byul started laughing hysterically. 

 

“Oh! I did not see that coming!” Byul said, trying to level her laughter.

 

“Wha-,” Wheein’s about to protest but she can’t find anything or any word to shoot at them. She just pouted as she walked inside the room to get the bag.

 

When she came out of the room, a mid-sized backpack was already half full. 

 

“What’s that for?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Hand-carry,” Wheein answered as she placed her bag down on the floor and opened it as wide as it can. “Sometimes, the baggage gets missing or delayed and it takes hours or days before being claimed. What I put on my hand-carry is two sets of clothes and other things that I might need in the next couple of days, in case. I also put here my laptop and other work related tools. I also have this separate messenger bag that contains what I need to keep with me at all times like passport, plane ticket, phone, chargers, iPad, etc.,” Wheein explained as she planned what to put first and where to put it in her bag. 

 

“You are carrying three bags? Wow,” Seulgi said as she repeatedly nods at Wheein, understanding what she just said. 

 

“She looks like a huge bag with legs and arms,” Byul laughed. “You can’t see any other body parts except for her arms and legs!” Byul said in between her laughs.

 

“Ha-ha-ha,” Wheein sarcastically laughed as she joined her friends’ laughter. 

 

As soon as Wheein is done packing her mid-sized bag, she double checks it and her messenger bag.

 

“Why don’t you just use normal luggage? You know, the one with wheels,” Seulgi said as she gestured the ‘wheels’ part with her index finger moving in circular motion. “Would’ve been super convenient,” she shrugged.

 

“Actually, for a nomad like me, carry-on luggage is pretty much useless. I mean, let’s say, I’m renting an apartment in the city and I want to camp in the woods for 3 days. I’ll just use this bag to bring with me to the woods instead of packing this inside a carry-on to use this for short getaways. Get it?” Wheein explained again.

 

“Makes sense. I wouldn’t bring that wheely to a mountain, that’s for sure,” Byul said then laughed because she found what she just said funny. Everyone followed Byul’s laughter. 

 

Wheein sat down on the floor and looked at her phone to check the time. it’s already two in the afternoon and there’s a text message from Yongsun.

 

From: Waifu <3

 

Wheein!!!! I can’t wait to see u tomorrow!!! It’s just sad that you’d only be here for just a day… Hyejin and I will pick you up at the station. Is there anything you want me to prepare for you? Also, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to call you last night. I just laid down on the bed for a while after shower and closed my eyes for a bit but the next thing I knew it’s already morning. Are you done packing? I’ll call you after work!

 

I love you hihi mwuah! 

 

Wheein’s smile could reach the ceiling of her house and the two women noticed it.

 

While typing her reply to Yongsun, a box of kleenex flew to her. 

 

“Ow! What?!” Wheein charged at Byul and Seulgi who’s laughing at her.

 

“Whipped,” Byul said.

 

“Of course!” Wheein proudly said and cracked a smile. “Let’s go?” Wheein said as she took her sling bag and stood up. 

 

“Where?” Byul asked.

 

“Bbq house…” Wheein said, still thinking if they should drink this early.

 

“But we just ate like an hour ago?” Byul said.

 

“BBQ and beer?” Seulgi added.

 

“Beer as a chaser?” Byul grinned at Wheein. 

 

“I taught you well, my child,” Wheein said, raising one arm, hand pointing at Byul. “Now, let’s go!” Wheein then pointed her hand at the door.

 

***

 

It’s already five in the afternoon and the three of them are already slurring their words. Seulgi called ‘auntie’, the owner of the restaurant, and asked for another three bottles of soju and five more cans of beer.

 

“You, kids, are drunker than the ajussis on the fourth table. I think giving you another set of alcohol is not a good idea,” Auntie said, giving them a worried look.

 

“I’ll bring in more customers this year! I’ll bring the tourists here, just let us drink some more,” Byul said, having difficulties opening her eyes.

 

“Also, I’m leaving Jeonju tomorrow, Auntie. Just let us fuel our drunkenness some more and god will bless you for the rest of your life!” Wheein said. The other two giggled at what she told Auntie.

 

Auntie sighed and gave in. She knew that no matter what she says, they’d still pester her. She also let them because they don’t really cause any disturbance to the other customers. 

 

“Okay, okay. But this is the last set!” Auntie said, gesturing to one of the staff to get the additional order.

 

“Also, another set of beef, please?” Byul grinned with her eyes closed at Auntie.

 

***

 

Byul’s head is already resting on the table and there are small pieces of lettuce sticking on her hair. Wheein’s head hung low, about to pass out and Seulgi’s staring at the messy table, without blinking. 

 

One of Auntie’s staff asked them to go home and specifically talked to Wheein. 

 

Wheein reached her wallet to get some cash but the staff stopped her.

 

“Auntie said it’s on her,” she smiled at Wheein.

 

“Oh, tell her, I’ll pay her twice once I get back from my trip,” Wheein said then looked around for Auntie. “Auntie! Thank you very much!” 

 

***

 

The three of them are clumsily walking back to Wheein’s place when Wheein’s phone suddenly rang. She took it and saw that  it was an incoming call from Yongsun. Wheein smiled from ear to ear.

 

“Hello, jag-”

 

“WHY AREN’T YOU ANSWERING YOUR PHONE?!!!” Yongsun’s loud and angry voice caused Wheein to distance her phone from her ear. It was so loud that it didn't need to be in a speaker mode to be heard from a distance.

 

“Why are you mad at me?” Wheein said slowly, slurring her words.

 

“WHA- ARE YOU DRUNK?!” 

 

“Oh, yes. Drunk in looooove~,” Wheein said and her two other friends continued to sign the song for her.

 

“I NEVER RECEIVED A REPLY FROM YOU! I ALSO CALLED YOUR PHONE MANY TIMES AND YOU DIDN’T ANSWER! BYUL’S NOT ANSWERING AND SO IS SEULGI! I GOT SO WORRIED!” 

 

“Yongsun, baby. Want to video call me? hehe” Wheein said. “Oh, it’s already dark!” Wheein looked up and the other two did the same. 

 

“Oh, yeah! You’re right. It’s night time already!” Byul shouted.

 

Wheein didn’t notice that Yongsun enabled her camera and waited for Wheein to turn hers. But Wheein’s a little busy looking at the night sky with her two other drunk friends. As soon as Wheein looked at her phone, she saw Yongsun’s face and it brought a grin on her face. She squinted at the screen to look for a button to enable her camera so Yongsun could see her. The second her face appeared on the screen, she waved at Yongsun and smiled sweetly at her.

 

“Please don’t be mad. I’m sorry,” Wheein pouted at Yongsun who rolled her eyes at her.

 

“Okay, but why did you drink so much? I already asked you to drink responsibly. What if something bad happens?” Yongsun said.

 

“I’m sorry for making you worry. I just want to go all out tonight with them. You know that I’d be away from all of you so I want this night to be special. Don’t worry, nothing bad is going to happen to us,” Wheein panned her phone to show Byul and Seulgi. “See?” 

 

Yongsun and Wheein shot their eyes wide when they realized that Byul and Seulgi’s not there. Wheein looked around and found Seulgi vomiting on the gutter and Byul filming it.

 

“Oh, they are busy hehe,” Wheein faced her phone and smiled sheepishly at Yongsun.

 

“Are you going to be like this when you are away?” Yongsun asked, disappointed.

 

Wheein was caught off guard with the question. 

 

“I’m not going to drink this much while I’m away, *burp* I promise,” Wheein said.

 

“I’m not talking about the drinking. You should le-, You know what? Talking to you right now is pointless. Call me tomorrow when you wake up. I’m ending the call now,” Yongsun said, then ended the call. 

 

Wheein sighed, cursing herself, then slid her phone back into her pocket. She clumsily walked back to where Byul and Seulgi are and said, “Let’s hurry and go home.”

 

“Why you look so gloomy?” Byul asked.

 

“Nothing. Let’s just go home,” Wheein said, then started to walk away leaving the two.

 

***

 

Seulgi and Byul headed to Mi Ran’s place while Wheein went to her’s. She’s already a little sober ‘cause of the walk and she’s taking a bath when her phone rang. Who’d be messaging me this late?

 

She slowly got out of the tub to get her phone that’s resting on the lavatory countertop. She’s not as drunk as she was on her way here. This has been a habit, more like a routine, when she drinks more than she should. She would walk home and get a warm bath.  Good thing Auntie didn’t let them have another round. Her head is still spinning so she carefully walked on the tiled floor. She dried her hands with a towel and grabbed her phone.

 

Oh, right! 

 

It was a message from Yongsun.

 

From: Waifu <3

 

I’m sorry… I overreacted earlier. I know I should trust you and you’re still new to this. There were so many things going on in the office and some people aren’t cooperating with the new project well… it was wrong of me to pour all my frustrations out on you. I’m sorry… I miss you :(

 

Despite the sad message that Yongsun sent her, Wheein could not contain her smile. It didn't last that long, though. She got worried that Yongsun might be overworking herself and she also needed to apologize properly for making her worry. 

 

Wheein video called Yongsun. While waiting for her to answer, Wheein went back to the tub. She sat there, holding her phone, waiting for an answer until she decided to drop the call. She opened a music app on her phone and while looking for a certain playlist, an incoming call flashed on her screen. It’s Yongsun.

 

“Hey,” Wheein smiled at Yong. “Still working?” Wheein noticed the lit laptop screen on the reflection of Yongsun’s glasses.

 

“Yeah,” Yongsun said, rubbing her eye then yawned. “Did you read the message I sent you?” 

 

“Yes,” Wheein pursed her lips and sighed. “I’m sorry too. I was a little irresponsible today.”

 

“It’s okay,” Yongsun stared at her longingly. “Wheein-ah, you look so pretty,” Yongsun said, grinning at Wheein.

 

“Really, Yongsun-ssi?” Wheein smiled coyly at Yong as she flirtatiously blinked her eyes. “Aren’t you feeling anything knowing I’m ... in the tub…” 

 

“Ya! Jung Wheein!” Yongsun laughed and it made Wheein really happy. She noticed how weary Yongsun is and, right now, it’s the best she can do to ease her exhaustion. 

 

“Wheein-ah, I’ve got to end the call now. I need to finish this tonight and I need to call my senior. Call me tomorrow?”

 

“Okay, jagiya,” Wheein said in a small voice. “Fighting!” She showed her clenched fist and charged it. “I love you!”

 

Yongsun smiled back at her. “I love you,” she said, winking at Wheein.

 

Once the call ended, Yongsun’s weary face flashed on Wheein’s mind. She had an idea and sent a message to Yongsun.

 

To: Waifu <3

 

Yong, don’t pick me up at the station tomorrow. I’ll just meet you guys somewhere. I think I’ll be there an hour before noon. You need to rest. I don’t want to see a zombie Yongsun hahaha I’ll call you as soon as I get there, okay? I love you. Goodnight! 

 

***

 

Wheein’s at the train station with Byul, Seulgi, and Mi Ran. Wheein checked her bags a couple of times, making sure if she brought everything she needed.

 

“You’ve been doing this for years and you’re still like a newbie. You already checked your bags before you left your house and you checked it again in the car on our way here. Jesus, this is the fourth time you’ve checked it here in the station!” Mi Ran said.

 

“Just because I’ve done this so many times, doesn’t mean I don’t get anxious about my stuff. I just hate it when I forget to bring something,” Wheein explained.

 

“Whatever! We need to go! We have clients coming in today too and we need to prepare the rooms for them!” Mi Ran said as she waved Wheein off and walked away.

 

Byul and Seulgi’s confused because Mi Ran never mentioned to them that there are bookings today and it’s too early. The couple looked at each other, still confused. 

 

Wheein noticed it and she knew what’s up with Mi Ran. She placed her bags on the floor and ran to Mi Ran to give her a tight hug. Wheein might not see Mi Ran’s face but she knows the woman is crying. She can hear her sniff. The more she tightens the hug, the louder Mi Ran cries.

 

Wheein smiled though she felt a little sad. This is her first time leaving with someone sending her off and this is her first time leaving knowing that there will be people waiting for her return. Wheein thought if it’s possible to feel happy and sad at the same time.

 

“Don’t starve yourself, okay? Take lots of photos and send them to me!” Mi Ran turned around to face Wheein and slapped Wheein’s arm as she wiped her tears.

 


“Okay, eomma,” Wheein said softly, pouting at Mi Ran.

 

“You take good care of yourself, kid. If something’s wrong, you can call me. Don’t do anything stupid and don’t get in trouble because I can’t run to where you are!” Mi Ran wiped her tears once more before she hugged Wheein. “I will miss you, kid.” Mi Ran whispered. “And bring me a lot of key-chains and refrigerator magnets! I’m going to brag about them to my customers!” she added.

 

“Yes, eomma,” Wheein said, giggling from Mi Ran’s last note.

 

Mi Ran gently patted Wheein’s cheek with her palm. “You’re a good kid, Wheein-ah. I did not raise you but I’m so proud of you.” 

 

Wheein can feel her own tears falling and before she can bawl her eyes out, she smiled then ran away. She also ran past Seulgi and Byul who just watched in curiosity. 

 

“I need to go! My train’s leaving soon!” Wheein said as she ran and picked up her bags. Without looking back, she ran towards the inner part of the station.

 

“You are right,” Seulgi said as she watched Wheein run away. “She looked like a huge bag with arms and legs!” The couple giggled.

 

“It’s an hour and a half before her train leaves. She really doesn't want us to see her cry,” Byul smiled.

 

***

 

It’s been more than half an hour since the train left the station. Wheein was sitting in her assigned seat, watching the scenery outside her window, when her phone buzzed. It’s a message from Hyejin.

 

From: Ahn Tofu

 

Wheein-ah, I just woke up. It’s just 6:25 in the morning and you’re lucky I woke up this early. Don’t worry. I slept more than I should. You miss unnie so much that you had to take the fastest trip, eh? Anyway, call me when you get here. I'll be hanging around the station. See you, Pup!

 

Wheein typed her reply.

 

To: Ahn Tofu

 

Jin-ah! Good morning! I’m sorry for asking a favor this early. Don’t worry! Breakfast’s on me ;) Yong slept late last night because of work and she’ll need her rest. She looked so stressed from work. Well, I’ll be there in an hour. Can’t wait to see you, Tofu face! HAHAHAHA

 

Wheein put her phone back to her pocket and fished out her tablet from her messenger bag. An hour is a little long and she’d rather paint than read or sleep. She was a little inspired by the scenery outside.

 

 


HELLO! Hope u guys are safe and doing well! 

First, I want to thank you all for following this story. I didn't expect this amount of attention that this piece is getting! It's crazy!

Second, well, this story will be ending soon (99 too). I think three or four more updates? Anyway, I've been cooking a new story for weeks now and I can't wait to share it to all of you. I just need to finish this first. 

STAY SAFE!! *sending virtual hugs*