Home

Passerby

 

 

Always Gold - Radical Face

(Song of Hyejin for Wheein)

 



Is this a dream? Am I dreaming? Wheein closed her eyes real tight and shook her head as she opened them again. She looked at the gate. SHE'S REAL!

 

Wheein couldn't figure out what to do first. Should she throw her cigarette away? Should she reply the email? REPLY THE EMAIL?! Should she run away? Should she wave back? Yeah, maybe she should wave back.

 

Wheein raised her hand and took the cigarette out of her lips then waved back at Hyejin with a forced smile. Her mind went blank as she maintained her position--one hand still up in the air and smile still forced. 

 

"May I?" Hyejin asked again and that was when Wheein realised that she'd been like that for quite awhile.

 

"Oh, ! Yeah, I'm sorry!" Wheein threw her cigarette at the bin as she walked towards the gate. The more she got closer and closer, she swear her heart beats louder each step until she can feel her breathing become uneven. Wheein opened the gate and welcomed Hyejin. "Come on in!" She walked after Hyejin.

 

"I tried the doorbell but it was no help." Hyejin said as she continued to walk while looking at the floor.

 

"Ah, I'll give it a good scolding tonight." Wheein slipped a joke hoping that it can make the situation a little less awkward.

 

Hyejin stopped when she reached the porch. She turned around to face Wheein which caused the latter to flinch. "Oh! I'm sorry I-" Hyejin apologized but interrupted by Wheein.

 

"Nah, it's good! I just--" Wheein sat on the step of the porch and Hyejin followed her. "I'm sorry I haven't replied to your email." Wheein glanced at Hyejin who was already staring at her.

 

"You're prettier now than the last time I saw you." Hyejin said with a deep and scratchy voice and by the way Wheein sees it, she is sincere and calm. She's so calm! WHY CAN'T I CALM THE DOWN?! Wheein's thought is in chaos but she have to pull herself together.

 

"Yeah, right! I should be the one telling you that!" Wheein distanced herself from Hyejin and turned to her side to face her. She stretched her hands pointed them from Hyejin's head down to her feet. "You look like a goddess!" Wheein brought her arms and hands to rest as well as her shoulders then she sighed. "You became the woman I always imagined you would be but hotter." Wheein teased Hyejin as she is still trying to make the atmosphere a little lighter and it actually worked. Hyejin jokingly punched Wheein's knee and the latter saw how long Hyejin's nails are. How?! Wheein asked herself in disbelief as her eyes grew big for a second.

 

"My decision was right. I knew this is the errand that you are talking about. I just didn't expect to see you working on the cleaning and" Hyejin looked around and saw an open toolbox and a couple of newly bought wood planks. "fixing?" Hyejin tilted her head as her statement became a question.

 

"Ah, yes. There are some parts of the house that needs fixing so it can be liveable again." Wheein said as she followed Hyejin's gaze.

 

"Oh, so you're planning to settle down here?!" Hyejin was surprised when Wheein said, 'liveable'. 

 

"Oh, I don't know about the settling down" Wheein said as she chuckled then she remembered what happened earlier with Mi Ran and Dong Wan. "but I think my stay will be a little longer than expected." Wheein smiled.

 

"Oh, so you'll still leave?" Hyejin asked.

 

"It's what I've been doing for years and I have adapted to it completely. I find it comforting as well." Wheein stood up and walked a little further from Hyejin. She took out her pack of Marlboro and lit one up. "I'm just waiting to get tired of it then maybe I'll choose to settle down." Wheein said as a puff of smoke exits every time she utters a word. Wheein noticed how Hyejin frowned at the cigarette on her hand so she took one last puff and put it off.

 

There was a long pause. Hyejin's eyes scanned the place and Wheein just watched her. She can't think of something to break the silence and it's slowly draining her but, thankfully, Hyejin made a move.

 

"Want to go out?" Hyejin asked as she stood up. Wheein saw how Hyejin's face lit up.

 

"Where?" Wheein asked.

 

"Remember the place where we always buy those popsicles?" Hyejin clasped her hands together showing so much excitement which Wheein found it childish.

 

"Ah, yes! The one you used to trick me to become your friend!" Wheein chuckled.

 

Hyejin walked towards Wheein and said, "Jung Wheein" Hyejin stretched her arm and hand to Wheein and asked, "Let's be friends?" The smile from Hyejin's face never left but her tears are starting to roll down her cheeks. Wheein was speechless--even thoughtless. She went on 'full blank'. This was to much to take for Wheein but she needed to do something because Hyejin's been waiting. And she knows what it's like to wait. But she wanted to say 'No' because this is Hyejin and not just another person that she 'met along the way'. It's easier to detach if she's someone else. Why wasn't I built to hold on to things like most people are? Why do I have to be built to hold on to people? Why is life so unfair?! Wheein was mentally breaking but, again, she have to pull herself together.

 

"Ah! You're too extra, Hyejin-ah!" Wheein joked but it didn't work. Hyejin's eyes remained the same but her smile is now gone. Now, Wheein knows that this is not the right time to pull off a joke. Now, Wheein needs to face one of the reasons why she's been running away -- Ahn Hyejin.

 

Wheein took Hyejin's hand. She was planning to drag her out of the house and go to the store together and eat the damn popsicle but her body betrayed her. Wheein's hand reached Hyejin's, she pulled it and hugged her tight. She heard Hyejin's sobs grew louder and she felt how Hyejin's been wanting to do this by the way her body shook against Wheein. Hyejin's embrace feels like home. It felt like they've never been apart for a very long time. She felt a sprinkle of joy sparked inside of her then she hugged Hyejin tighter. This was something she never knew she needed the most.

 

"I missed you, Hyejinie." Wheein said as her tears started to free itself. She burrowed her face on Hyejin's neck and whispered, "I missed you so much."

 

The two stayed like that for a while.

 

Wheein pulled herself away and said with a smile, "Shall we?"

 

Hyejin nodded as she wiped her tears. Wheein laughed at how puffy Hyejin's eyes became. Hyejin grabbed Wheein's hand and they walked outside.

 

"Wait! Shuold we hold hands? People might think, you know?" Wheein tried to free her hand from Hyejin's grip but failed.

 

"Most people here knows we are the inseparable gremlins of Jeonju and for thos who don't. I don't really give a about them. Do you?" Hyejin asked as she flipped her hair back being her sass self.

 

"I don't mind. I was just thinking about you." Wheein said and it made Hyejin smile.

 

"Good thing you're still sweet. I thought you became an all-out punk who hates kids and kick trashcans when you get a chance." Hyejin said as she jokingly punched Wheein's shoulder.

 

"Well, I don't hate kids but I don't want to have them. Too much responsibilities and all." Wheein said.

 

"True that! Sure I'm not going to spend ton of money just to send a kid to school when I can spend it for my next vacay!" Hyejin said as they started to walk.

 

"Jin-ah! Remember when they used to sell the cheapest homemade sweets?" Wheein pointed to a modernized house that used to be an ordinary house with a store in front when they were still kids.

 

"Ah, yes! They are the reason why my teeth broke like crazy. I thought I was going to die from the pain!" Hyejin winced as she remembered that time.

 

"It must have been really painful! You are such a strong baby tofu back then!" Wheein said and started laughing when she remembered how puffy Hyejin's face is.

 

"Yah! Wheein-ah!" Hyejin released her hand from Wheein's and pushed Wheein with annoyance.

 

"Don't be mad! You've improved so much, you know! You became a beautiful human tofu with really long nails!" Wheein teased Hyejin more but instead of Hyejin getting pissed, she laughed along Wheein and hugged her arm.

 

"I can't believe how I survived those years without you, Wheein." Hyejin said as she looked at the street ahead of them.

 

"Why so sudden?" Wheein asked because the conversation's going great then Hyejin's going to say something like this?

 

"I don't know. Why do you think I survived without you?" Hyejin asked still not looking at Wheein.

 

"Hmm, it's because you can and because I don't control your life! I don't decide for you. You decide for you. You chose to go on even when I'm not around and believe me when I say that it's a good thing." Wheein said.

 

"Us? Separated? A good thing? You need to explain that, Jung Wheein." Hyejin said with a frown but Wheein knew it was just a joke from Hyejin.

 

"Well, I think every one needs to be apart from something or someone so we can learn how to grow on our own." Wheein said.

 

"I never thought you'd be this wise, honestly. I think I need to travel too to have this kind of thinking." Hyejin said hoping to make the conversation lighter and it worked because she heard Wheein's light chuckle.

 

Why did I even open this subject? This conversation is only served with alcohol! Hyejin scolded herself.

 

------

 

They were eating outside the store with their hands clasped together.

 

"Remember how we laughed so hard when we realised how blue our mouth was the first time we ate this?" Hyejin said then laughed.

 

"Yeah!" Wheein laughed as well while nodding like a kid.

 

"Let's go back to your place?" Hyejin suddenlyrequested which took Wheein by surprise.

 

"Why?" Wheein asked out of curiosity. "It's better here. The place is still a little trashed, you know."

 

"That's why! We need to finish cleaning and fixing that house."

 

"What? Don't you have a wedding to work on?" Wheein asked.

 

"Oh, about the wedding." Hyejin winced at Wheein.

 

Was happened? Was it called off? Wheein thought.

 

Both women flinched when Hyejin's phone started ringing. Hyejin released her hand from Wheein's to answer the call.

 

"Yongsun-unnie, what is it?" Hyejin asked.

 

Yongsun? Wheein was lost in thought when she heard the familiar name then her eyes grew large when it finally hit her. YONGSUN FROM THE STORE?! or not? WHAT?! Wheein felt like laughing but shook her head so she can focus. She listend to their conversation.

 

"Oh, you wouldn't believe it! I'm with Wheein right now! You should meet her! I'll send you my location when we get there, okay? Bring your car because I didn't bring mine. Thank you so much!"

 

Hyejin ended the call and placed it back in her pocket.

 

"Who's that?" Wheein asked


"Why? You're jealous?" Hyejin teased the older girl.

 

"What?! No! I was just curious." Wheein said in her defense.

 

"Ah, she was my maid of honor. By the way, if you're single I can, you know, set you two up on a date. Finding someone with the same interest is a little challenging here in Korea, you know?" Hyejin winked at Wheein then she dragged her back to Wheein's place.

 

So, Solar Kim, the annoying and weird maid of honor, might be the hot and inviting Yongsun? This will be very exciting if they are? Also, what the happened to Hyejin's wedding?! She seemed so excited about it when I read her email! God, this woman!

 

------

 

When they reached Wheein's place, Hyejin called Yongsun and gave her Wheein's address. After the call, she turned to Wheein with a huge smile

 

"Okay!" Hyejin ran to Wheein. "She's on her way."

 

"Oh, okay." Wheein said. Oh, I can't wait to see this woman! Wheein is curious. Or maybe she's not the Yongsun that I met. Maybe she's someone else. Maybe they happen to have the same name. I'm overthinking things again. This is just a waste of my time. Hyejin's wedding is more important.

 

Wheein and Hyejin sat on the step of the porch while they waited for Yongsun.

 

"Hyejinie, what the happened to your wedding?" Wheein asked. It's been running on Wheein's mind and she's very eager to know why. When she saw Hyejin, everything seemed aligned in her life then this?

 

"I called it off." Hyejin aswered with a straight face. Then it made more crazy for Wheein when she saw Hyejin smile. "I love someone else."

 

! Hyejin better not be a cheater or I will smack this little hand of mine in her perfect tofu face!

 

"Okay, but can you be more detailed." Wheein requested.

 

 

 

"She's someone I dated before." Hyejin said as she lost her gaze somewhere far.

 

SHE? Well, this is new! Wheein thought to herself.

 

"You must be surprised." Hyejin smiled as she continued. "I have never dated a woman before and after her but I have never loved anyone that hard before and even after our relationship, nothing seemed to top that. I broke up with her because I was scared.  I was scared that my family will know and I was scared that I will get kicked out of my dream job. I have to end it there. After that, I never really cared who I went out with as long as that person is a guy and someone I can introduce to my family." Hyejin then looked at Wheein. "Want to know something crazy?" Hyejin asked.

 

"Go on" Wheein said.

 

"I was the one who proposed to the guy." Hyejin said. "I thought, he's a good man and my family likes him. Plus, I can't really have who I want so what's the point?. Stupid right?" Hyejin chuckled. "Then last year changed everything."

 

"She came back?" Wheein knew where this is going. Hyejin nodded.

 

"Whein I saw her, I knew I never stopped loving her. Then we hooked up and it never stopped. I've been going to her place every weekend and we'll do the same stuff that we used to do when we were still together. I've never been happy. A month ago, things changed. She asked me to be with her again."

 

"You were torn but you still declined?"

 

"Uh-huh. Then I don't know, I suddenly thought of you. I've put everything to waste including you. I was caught up in my own that I have completely forgotten about you. You, who never did something wrong. You, who never once in my entire life, hurt me with intention. That's when it hit me. I tried to contact you and knew that I was asking for something impossible. Yes, I thought that seeing you again was impossible. Just as impossible as being with the one I love.

 

But I was wrong. Seeing you isn't impossible and being freely inlove with her isn't too. I was just not doing anything about it. When you said that you are going, that's when it hit me. All I have to do to be happy is me doing something about it."

 

"Oh, I see." Wheein nodded but still trying to understand what Hyejin said. All she can think of is Hyejin cheated and used another person. 

 

I'm not a perfect person but Jesus Christ! Wheein cried to herself.

 

Wheein and Hyejin was taken out of their conversation when they heard someone calling Hyejin's name.

 

"Oh, unnie's here!" Hyejin stood up and ran to fetch Yongsun outside.

 

Wheein was excited to see this woman. If what I think is true, she better be flustered to know that Jung Wheein is the same as the one who flirted with her at the convenient store. Wheein smirked thinking that this Solar Kim is playing some kind of dirty game.

 

She never left her gaze at the gate. She's waiting to see her and when she did, it was confirmed. Annoying Solar Kim is the hot Yongsun, I see. Wheein noticed Yongsun's eyes grew big when she saw her. Yongsun's jaw dropped and halted from her steps. Wheein winked and smirked at Yongsun which made the latter blush hard.

 

"Unnie, are you okay?" Hyejin asked. 

 

Oh, no. Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no, no! Was the only thing that Yongsun can think of.

 


 

This is a little short (and soft) and the chapter is obviously condensed and event's are pretty sudden but that was intentional. Real stuff will happen in the future chapters and everything will be explained. just wait. ^_^.  Remember, this is going to be a long story and I am nervous lol

 

Also, I would like to bring out the flirty Wheein. You'll see this side of her character more in the following chapter because, you know, Yongsun. The hint of this character of Wheein is will be read on the previews chapter (how she was so supportive and entertained of Byul's greasiness). No doubt they grew on each other well.

Also, this chapter serves as a source for new parts to explore and for me to write about.  If you have questions or concerns, please let me know!

 

Also, thank you for the appreciation! 

 

I am on a vacation right now because I feel like I needed one. Good thing there are promo flights!!!! Here's a photo!!!