"Come Here"

Passerby

 

 

After a few drinks, everyone decided to go home. Byul and Seulgi offered to help Mi-Ran in cleaning the place. Hyejin helped Wheein drag Yongsun’s drunk to Wheein’s place. Hyejin and Wheein set up the newly bought bed and beddings before tucking Yongsun in. The two women are now standing outside Hyejin’s car, hesitating to initiate a conversation. 

 

After a while, Hyejin spoke.

 

“Wheein, Yong-unnie needed to be up before six in the morning. I’ll set her stuff up back in her hotel and bring them to my place. Tell her that I’ll settle her bills but she’ll pay me, okay? I’ll be here by six. Also, she needs more time to get her together since she’ll be driving back to Seoul,” Hyejin said as she played with her car keys.

 

Wheein can tell that Hyejin doesn’t want to leave yet.

 

“You know what, why don’t we have a coffee? I’ll make some for us,” Wheein offered and Hyejin didn’t protest. She clung to Wheein on the way back to the kitchen.

 

She watched Wheein prepare their coffee, still playing with her keys.

 

“Wheein-ah,” Hyejin called. Wheein turned around and smiled at Hyejin. “Yes?” Wheein asked.

 

“You’ve grown up so well,” Hyejin said with a lump on .

 

“Aigoo, what is happening to you? Are you drunk too? You’ve already told me that,” Wheein joked and laughed. Hyejin did too.

 

“I mean, look at you! You are so independent and wise and…” Hyejin was trying to find more words but Wheein filled it for her.

 

“Pretty?” Wheein said.

 

“Uhm, I guess?” Hyejin laughed.

 

“You did well too, Hyej. I guess we all did!” Wheein said as she placed two mugs of coffee on the table.

 

“Wheein-ah, don’t break unnie’s heart, okay? She’s just too ing pure to get hurt again. For years, this is the first time I’ve seen her this happy, like genuinely happy. I know that you’ll keep your promise but still, I just wish that you won’t lose your way back to her. A year is too long and many things can happen. I trust you but not life’s circumstances,” Hyejin said before she took a sip of the coffee that Wheein made.

 

“You know what, Hyejin? Up until now, I am still in awe with how I quickly fell in love with Yong. I’m not really like this. I mean, ugh, I’ll dig this up because I want you to understand and not because I want you to feel bad again. With what happened to me and you, I kind of lost the sense of trust or faith in people. No matter how much I tried to put faith into someone or something, I just can’t,” Wheein said as she played with the handle of her mug. She smiled when she thought of someone. “Then there’s Yong. I honestly don’t know what’s out there for us. I just know that I shouldn’t let this go. I can’t let her go because just the mere thought of losing her haunts me. I know you might think that ‘then why do you have to go? Why not stay when Yong is here and you don’t want to lose her?’ Well, I have my reason and it is very personal to me. Many might not understand but I don’t really care.”

 

“It sounds stupid but whatever. People who are in love tend to lose their sanity from time to time,” Hyejin said. “Well, I’m not trying to be negative but what if things didn’t go as planned?”

 

“Plans are bull when there’s no concrete goal behind it. The goal is the most important thing to have. Plans just support you to reach your goals. Yongsun is my goal and no matter how many times my plans get ed, I’ll make sure I will still land on my goal,” Wheein said. “My whole life, I have never believed in something so strong like how I believed in what we have now and what we might have in the future. Crazy right?”

 

“You have a point. I guess Yong-unnie really messed your brain up, huh?” Hyejin smiled.

 

“I guess,” 

 

***

 

Wheein sent Hyejin home because Hyejin needed her sleep for their trip tomorrow. She walked back inside and headed out to the back garden but she stopped at the room where Yongsun sleeps. It was left open so she leaned against the door frame and took a good look at Yongsun. She slid her hand in her pocket when she felt a familiar companion, her pack of cigarettes. She took it out and studied it. 

 

“This will be the last one and then we’ll part ways, okay?” Wheein whispered at the pack of cigarettes.

 

She went to the back garden and lit one stick. She smiled after she puffed. She can’t help but feel great about how her life turned around when she came back here. She then wondered where her father was but it’s just plain ‘wonder’. Wheein is sure that she doesn’t want to see him. All she can hope for is that her father has changed his ways and became a good man.

 

She’s almost done with her cigarette and before she put it out, she whispered her ‘thanks’ to it.

 

“I thought you won’t smoke when I’m around?” a familiar voice made Wheein jump then she turned around.

 

“Hey, are you okay? Do you need water? You must be thirsty. You were sort of drunk earlier,” Wheein said.

 

“I only acted drunk so I’ll have a reason to be here,” Yongsun said with her arms crossed, trying to deny it.

 

“So, you are fully aware that you are trying to get into my pants in front of everyone?” Wheein asked.

 

It was true, though. Hyejin caught it too.

 

“I did?” Yongsun asked, lips pursed.

 

Wheein smiled at Yong and reached her hand out to her.

 

“Come here,” Wheein said softly.

 

Yongsun did and when she stood next to Wheein, Wheein hugged her from the back. Her hands s around Yongsun’s waist and rested her chin on Yong’s shoulder.

 

“It amuses me how these ordinary words like ‘come here’ can become so special and meaningful,” Yongsun said so softly.

 

“Turn around,” Wheein said as she pulled away and waited for Yongsun to face her.

 

When Yongsun did, Wheein pulled Yong close to her and started to sway. Wheein started humming as their bodies pressed against each other. Wheein’s arms looped around Yong's waist and Yong’s arms rested on Wheein’s shoulders.

 

“What song is that? It sounds familiar,” Yongsun whispered. She can feel every vibration in Wheein’s upper body as she hummed.

 

Wheein didn’t answer her question and sang the lyrics instead.

 

“I’m lying on the moon

My dear, I’ll be there soon

It’s a quiet and starry place

Time’s we’re swallowed up

In space we’re here a million miles away.”

 

Wheein paused to kiss Yongsun’s shoulder and she felt Yongsun's arms on her shoulder tighten a little after. Wheein did the same and continued.

 

“There’s things I wish I knew

There’s no thing I’d keep from you

It’s a dark and shiny place

But with you, my dear

I’m safe and we’re a million miles away

 

We’re lying on the moon

It’s a perfect afternoon

Your shadow follows me all day

Making sure that I’m okay

And we’re a million miles away

A million miles away

A million miles away”

 

Wheein continued by humming out the song. Yong pulled away a little so she could lean her forehead on Wheein’s. Wheein can feel Yongsun’s breath and, like a magnet, it draws her lips to Yong’s. The kisses were simple but the intensity of their emotions can be felt.

 

“Let’s get some rest,” Wheein said as she pulled away and dragged Yong by her hand to her room.

 

When they got inside, Yong was the first one to lay in the bed and watched Wheein take off her jacket and shoes.

 

“Spoon me, please,” Yongsun said as she patted the empty space behind her.

 

Wheein, like a kid, skipped her way to the bed and happily spooned Yongsun.

 

“Good night, Yong. I love you,” Wheein said as she pulled herself closer to Yong.

 

“I love you too, Wheein. I love you so much that I might combust,” Yongsun said as she squeezed Wheein’s forearm that was looped in her waist. It made both of them laugh and the silence that followed brought them to sleep.

 

***

 

Wheein was greeted by the purplish sky. The sun is about to rise, Wheein thought. She yawned and stretched a little. Yongsun’s still facing her back to her so she just planted a kiss on Yongsun’s shoulder. She decided not to wake her up and let her sleep while she’s preparing their breakfast. She looked at the time on her phone. It’s seven minutes before five in the morning. There were some emails regarding her freelance work but she just ignored it. I’ll just read them later, Wheein thought.

 

She stood up and turned off the lamp on the bedside table. She heads out to the kitchen and prepares some fresh tea and an omurice with pork strips on the side. Wheein can only hope that she won’t ruin this. 

 

Around 5:20 am, she’s all set. The food is great and the tea too. She went to the bedroom to wake Yongsun up.

 

“Wake up, sleepyhead. Breakfast is ready,” Wheein, sitting on the edge of the bed next to Yongsun, whispered to Yong’s ears and kissed her temple. 

 

Yongsun gradually opened her eyes. At first, she was frowning trying to adjust her eyes and when she saw Wheein, a smile escaped her lips. “Hey,” Yongsun said as she tucked Wheein’s loose hair on the back of her ear.

 

“Hyej, will be here in thirty so you need to get up and eat,” Wheein said as she took Yong’s hand and tried to pull it but Yong is whining like a 6-year-old, protesting to get up.

 

“I swear this is the weirdest to happen to people,” Yongsun said under her breath.

 

“What?” Wheein asked.

 

“We are already together and still we have to part ways and dive into this stupid portal of uncertainty. I don’t want to leave! Let me go with you please?” Yongsun said, rolling on the bed like a fish out of water. Wheein felt a little pain in her chest when Yong begged her but she still smiled as she watched Yongsun roll on the bed and whine.

 

“Come on, Yong. Even if I won’t leave, uncertainty will always be there. Aside from change, it’s the other only constant thing in the world. Let’s go now, please? I’m getting a little hungry too,” Wheein pouted at Yongsun who suddenly stopped flipping herself on the bed.

 

“If you say one more smart thing, I will blow this whole place up. Don’t use that smart on me when I’m having the worst headache right now,” Yongsun said coldly and the threat rang hard on Wheein’s ears.

 

Who are you? Wheein asked internally.

 

Wheein was taken aback at the words that came out from Yongsun’s mouth. One moment, Yong was like the most adorable toddler that Wheein has ever met then in a blink of an eye, Yongsun became the little devil next to satan.

 

“Okay, my sweet Yongsun-ssi, you want to cuddle?” Wheein asked a little cautious, hoping that this offer might lighten up Yongsun’s mood even for just a bit.

 

Yongsun just stared at her then she pursed her lips before saying, “Yes.”

 

Wheein smiled and quickly crawled up to bed. She opened up her arms and just like the first morning they spent together in bed, Yongsun rested her head on Wheein’s arm and s her arm on Wheein’s waist. Wheein brushed Yongsun’s hair with her fingers and said, “I think I know why Hyejin left you with me.”

 

“Why?” Yongsun asked without looking at Wheein. Instead, she played with Wheein’s other hand.

 

“Because you become the scariest person when dealing with a hangover,” Wheein said then giggled after.

 

“I’m not that drunk! I even remember what happened last night! You sang me a song!” Yong protested and slapped Wheein tummy.

 

“Ugh! You don’t have to be super drunk to experience a hangover,” Wheein said, rubbing the area where Yongsun hit her.

 

“You don’t know how much I wanted to stop the time at that moment last night and even right now,” Yongsun said.

 

Wheein knew what it exactly feels like because that’s what she exactly wished for when she took her mother to their last road trip. They sang to so many songs that afternoon and even ate a lot of food in the parking lot while watching the stars. That’s what she also felt when her grandmother took her to a small amusement park. She would go on to many rides and her grandmother would just watch her. The only ride they joined together was the carousel. She remembered how much her grandma smiled and slowly turned sour when her grandma started to feel dizzy due the ride. She had to wave to the staff to stop it and on their way home, both of them won’t stop laughing about it. Wheein learned that no matter how much you wished for time to stop, it will never happen because there’s no point in doing so. If such a wish can be granted, then people won’t be able to treasure the moment that they are in. It’d be just like another road trip and another afternoon in the park. All that people can do about it is to be thankful that at least they get to have such precious memories with the people special to them.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Yongsun asked, squeezing Wheein’s hand. “You’ve gone quiet for a while,” she added.

 

“Oh, yeah. I just- I remembered something, I’m sorry,” Wheein said.

 

“Did I say something wrong?” Yongsun asked.

 

“Nope. You did nothing wrong,” Wheein breathed deeply then kissed the top of Yongsun’s head.

 

“I don’t want to leave this bed but I’m getting hungry too,” Yongsun said then she sat, pouting at Wheein.

 

Wheein stood up and headed to the door. She turned around to face Yongsun and said, “I’ll wait for you in the kitchen.”

 

***

 

“Hey! You ready?” Hyejin asked, walking to the porch where Wheein and Yongsun were standing while talking to each other.

 

“Here’s a tumbler for you aaand for that lion behind you,” Wheein smiled as she handed Yongsun two tumbler. Yongsun turned around and gave the other bottle to Hyejin.

 

“I think you and I are more than ready,” Yongsun said to Hyejin and pointed at the two bento boxes. “Oh, thank you for dealing with the hotel. I didn’t know how generous you are until you paid for my hotel bill,” Yongsun smiled at Hyejin.

 

“WHAT?!” Hyejin’s eyes grew wide then turned to Wheein. “YA! JUNG WHEEIN! I TOLD YOU TO TELL HER TO PAY ME SOON!” Hyejin said then turned back to Yongsun. “AND YOU, LADY! YOU ARE FAR RICHER THAN I AM! YOU CAN BUY THAT ING HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO! YOU HAVE TO PAY ME! JESUS!” Hyejin sighed.

 

“Wait, Yongsun is that rich?” Wheein asked Hyejin and later turned to Yongsun. “Will you pay for my trip?” Wheein asked while holding back a smile.

 

“YA! JUNG WHEEIN! What do you take me for?” Yongsun asked Wheein with hands on her waist.

 

“Sugar mommy?” Wheein said and failed to hold back her laughter. Hyejin and Yongsun followed.

 

“Anyway, I’ll bring these to my car and Yong-unnie, let me borrow your car key. I’ll transfer your luggage from my car to yours,” Hyejin said. Yongsun gave her her keys and said her thanks. “I’ll wait for you guys outside,” Hyejin said as she heads out.

 

Yongsun turned to Wheein and for some reason, she felt a little shy and a little awkward. Wheein noticed it and she smiled.

 

“Come here,” Wheein said and opened her arms wide to Yongsun.

 

She wrapped her arms around Yongsun and repeatedly planted kisses on Yongsun’s shoulder. 

 

“You never mentioned to me when you’ll start your trip,” Yongsun said.

 

“Oh, I didn’t? Well, I was thinking of leaving as soon as possible so I can wrap the trip sooner. I think I’ll leave in a week or two. I’ll meet you before I leave, remember? You better take me somewhere nice when I get to Seoul,” Wheein said then slapped Yongsun’s . Yongsun jumped a little and pulled away from the hug. She frowned at Wheein for what she did but cracked a smile in the end.

 

“You can only do that when no one’s around!” Yongsun said.

 

“Well, do you see anyone around?” Wheein squinted at Yongsun. “Are you seeing things that I don’t?” Wheein bent closer to Yong.

 

“No,” Yongsun crossed her arms and closed her eyes.

 

Wheein then walked past Yongsun then slapped her for the second time. When Yongsun turned around, ready to smack her, Wheein ran outside and left Yongsun skipping after her. Wheein saw Hyejin leaning against her car busy on her phone. “Hey, Tofu Face! You in a fight with someone?” Wheein asked as she walked closer to Hyejin. 

 

“Nah, I’m just playing this stupid game. I’m stuck at this level and it’s getting on my nerves. It’s a good thing you came. If not, I might have thrown this phone against the wall,” Hyejin shook her head and Wheein smiled as she watched her friend play a puzzle game with gems and whatnot in it. “I feel bad for you, Wheein,” Hyejin turned off her phone and slid it in her pocket. She turned to Wheein, arms crossed.

 

“What? Why?” Wheein, confused, frowned at her friend.

 

“She’s a little knocked out last night and it’s not because of you,” Hyejin smirked. “The alcohol’s sleeker than you, eh?” 

 

“,” Wheein scoffed. “Even if she’s sober, I don’t think we’d do it,” she added.

 

“That’s better to hear,” Hyejin said as she took her car keys. “Here’s Yong-unnie’s key. I better get inside my car before I see the two of you eat each other’s faces,” Hyejin pointed at something behind Wheein and when Wheein turned around, Yongsun was standing there with her hands on her waist. As she walked towards Yongsun, she could hear Hyejin opened, then closed her car door.

 

“Hey, little miss sunshine! Here’s your key,” Wheein said as she stood in front of Yongsun.

 

Yongsun just stared at Wheein’s eyes as she took her car key. She just stared at it even if Wheein’s eyes were looking at something else. She knows that Wheein’s looking at her lips right now and she also knows how much Wheein wanted to kiss her. Yongsun decided to initiate it but Wheein’s a lot faster than her. 

 

It lasted for a couple of seconds. There was so much need and emotion between their kisses. Even if it wasn’t a full-blast make out session, as soon as their lips aparted, they were a little too breathless.

 

“I’ll see you soon, okay?” Wheein said as she pulled away and gave Yongsun the brightest smile she can ever give. Yongsun smiled back and nodded. She went to her door and sat on the driver’s seat and closed the door, leaving the window down.

 

“When we meet again, I’ll be better in bed. I’ll practice a lot while we’re apart,” Wheein stuck her head inside the window and winked at Yongsun.

 

“Whatever, Jung Wheein,” then pushed Wheein’s head outside.

 

Yongsun signaled Hyejin by flashing her headlights. Hyejin then waved at Wheein before stepping on the gas. Yongsun waved goodbye at Wheein and followed Hyejin. 

 

Wheein was waiting for something as she watched the two cars drive away. In approximately ten to thirteen feet distance from where she’s standing, Yongsun stopped her car and reversed in an incredible amount of speed causing the tires to screech. The car precisely stopped in front of Wheein and was greeted by a fuming Yongsun.

 

“I know that it’s a joke but, still, DON’T YOU DARE, Jung Wheein,” Yongsun said coldly.

 

“Wow, it took you that long to realize what I just said?” Wheein said.

 

“That doesn’t make me stupid,” Yongsun raised one eyebrow.

 

Wheein walked closer and for the second time, she stuck her head inside the window and kissed Yongsun deeply. When she pulled away, she wasn’t smiling. Yongsun wondered why.

 

“Kim Yongsun,” Wheein said staring at Yongsun’s eyes. “Focus on the road, okay? Don’t use your phone while driving. If you feel sleepy even for just a bit, find a place to take a short nap. If you’re hungry, I made you food so eat them. Let me kn-” Wheein was shut up when Yongsun kissed her back.

 

“I’ll let you know as soon as I set foot in my own home,” Yongsun said without pulling away. Her lips grazed Wheein’s as she spoke. “Now, if you don’t pull away, I will drag your inside my car and bring you with me to Seoul,” Yongsun smiled and Wheein kissed her one more time before she pulled away and removed her head inside Yongsun’s car.

 

Wheein and Yongsun waved at each other goodbye before Yong drove away. She watched Yongsun’s car until it was gone. As soon as Wheein looked around, she saw Mi Ran, standing on her lawn with hair curlers attached to her head, looking at her with a disgusted face.

 

“If you feel a little envious, there’s a dating app you could use,” Wheein teased.

 

“What is envy, by the way? I don’t know that ,” Mi Ran said, raising her eyebrows at Wheein. She laughed at how adorable this ajumma is.

 

“Is Byul and Seulgi still sleeping?” Wheein asked, still laughing.

 

“Yes! They still drank when you guys left. I bet they won’t wake up any sooner,” Mi Ran said. 

 

“I haven’t had proper breakfast and I’ve made too much tea. It’s the one you like. Also, there are still some fried rice and pork strips in the kitchen. I can heat them up. You want to join me?” Wheein asked

 

“You didn’t have proper breakfast? From what I saw earlier, it seemed like you just had a full course meal,” Mi Ran asked.

 

“I was too busy watching my girlfriend. Yes, my heart is full but my tummy isn’t,” Wheein smiled cheekily at Mi Ran.

 

Mi Ran threw her hands in the air and walked back to her house.

 

“Hey! You don’t want to?” Wheein asked, shouting.

 

“I’m just getting my robe and slippers! I’ll be there in a minute!” Mi Ran replied.

 

Wheein walked back inside her house and prepared the table for Mi Ran. While waiting for her, she opened her phone and got a booking confirmation for her flight. Guess, I’ll be leaving in a week. Wheein then thought of the places she wanted to revisit and old friends she wanted to meet again. She’s never been this excited in planning her trip. Wheein then started to realize the difference between traveling to find happiness and traveling to share it. Both are good but traveling without anything weighing you down is better.

 

This is better, Wheein thought and smiled. She went back to her phone and set Yongsun’s picture as her lock screen photo. And this is the best! 

 


The song Wheein sang here is The Moon Song by Karen O from the movie 'HER' (I prefer the version with Ezra Koenig). It's a great film and if you have time, please watch it.

Stay safe, everyone! 

*sending virtual hugs*