Irish Coffee

Passerby

Miss Atomic Bomb - The Killers

 


 

Wheein felt a weight on her forehead that caused her to wake up. She also felt movements beside her bed. She slowly opened her eyes to see what and or who it was. It was Byul with a plate of cookies in hand. When Byul noticed her, she gave Wheein a smile and said, “Please don’t move. I’m making a cookie tower on your forehead. Just a little bit more and we are done,”

 

After a couple more minutes that Wheein played along and stayed still, Byul placed the almost empty plate on the bedside table. She took her phone and stood up.

 

“Let me take a photo first,” Byul said then start taking shots of Wheein lying down with a tower of cookies on her forehead.

 

While they are at it, there was a loud knock on the door and before they can ask who was it, it aggressively swung open.

 

“WHERE THE ARE MY COO-” Mi Ran shouted and when she saw what was on Wheein’s head she stopped and walked closer. When she reached Byul’s side while staring at Wheein, she turned to look at Byul.

 

“Hi,” Byul nervously smiled at Mi Ran.

 

“What the hell is that?” Mi Ran asked Byul while she pointed her index finger at the cookie tower.

 

“A cookie tower?” Byul, still smiling nervously, said while tapping the edge of her phone. “Uhm, would it be okay if you’ll take…. a photo…..of me….. beside it?” Byul asked with the softest voice and puppy eyes while handing the phone to Mi Ran.

 

A speechless Mi Ran absentmindedly took the phone in Byul’s hand.

 

“Can you guys move a little bit faster? I need to go to the bathroom.” Wheein said trying not to move an inch.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Byu said then she sat on the floor beside Wheein’s bed near the headboard.

 

Mi Ran raised her hands along with Byul’s phone. 

 

“Okay, one, two, three,” 

 

*

 

While taking a shower, Wheein can’t help but smile thinking about their first date. She suddenly remembered Yongsun’s text message.

 

“Oh, !”

 

Wheein dried her hand with her towel hanging on the back of the door. She took her phone from the rack above the sink and opened it.

 

“Good morning, Yong! I hope you had a great sleep because I did. I really enjoyed our dinner last night. What time are you coming?”

 

Wheein was about to place her phone back on the rack when it buzzed. She looked at it and it was Yongsun.

 

“WOW! There so much affection in your greeting. I was hoping for something cheesy to complete my morning. I bet I’m registered on your phone as Yongsun-ssi. Now I’m thinking twice if I will go there because I feel like someone’s not eager to see me. Good morning, agassi…”

 

Wheein was taken aback from Yongsun’s reply. She didn’t expect this attitude from Yong. It’s cute but she’s not sure if Yong’s serious about this.

 

“GOOD MORNING, JAGIYA! <3 I hope you had a great sleep because I did. I really enjoyed our dinner last night. What time are you coming, B A B E ?”

 

Wheein modified her previews message. She smiled at how cute Yong is as she re-reads Yong’s reply. She’s just not sure if Yong’s serious about it which feels a little odd if Yong is.

 

She was waiting for a reply but a minute has passed and she didn’t receive any. She decided to go on and take a good shower.

 

It’s going to be a long day. Wheein sighed with optimism.

 

-

 

Wheein was about to leave the bathroom and some knocked.

 

“Hey, you done?” It was Byul.

 

“Yeah,” When Wheein grabbed the doorknob, her toiletry bag fell and some of her things fell out.

 

“There’s this really beautiful lady outside your place and it’s not Yongsun-ssi. I checked on her and she said that she’s looking for you. She said she’s a friend from Daegu. Please tell me you are not two-timing or something because I really look up to you and-” Byul was interrupted when Wheein suddenly opened the door and whispered, “I knew it.”

 

“Knew what?” Byul asked while she followed Wheein’s steps inside their room.

 

“Remember the girl from Daegu?” Wheein said while drying her hair in front of the mirror. She’s looking at Byul’s reflection.

 

“Who?” Byul asked.

 

“The girl I met in Daegu, ! Don’t you remember?!” Wheein turned around to face the older girl.

 

“OH! ! YOUR FIRST LOVE!!!” Byul’s eyes grew wide as well as her smile. It faded when she remembered Yongsun. “What about Yongsun?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Wheein asked, confused.

 

“I mean you are dating her, right? Then you have this Daegu lady outside and, I don’t know? you’ll win her heart?” Byul scratched the back of her head.

 

“You’re thinking too much, Byul,” Wheein said then left she room.

 

Byul followed her and asked, “So you guys will just talk? For closure?” 

 

“Of course. I already moved on. Honestly, I don’t know why she wanted to see me,”

 

-

 

They head out of the lodging house and Wheein saw a woman sitting on the gazebo. Their eyes met and it seemed that the other lady was the only one to see her happy.

 

“Joohyun-ah!” Wheein walked a little faster to Joohyun and when she reached her, Joohyun stood up and they shared a long and tight hug.

 

Wheein heard someone cough and noticed that Byul is still standing behind her.

 

“Oh! Joohyun, this is Byul,” Wheein introduced Byul who just waved with a huge smile in return.

 

“Byul, this is Joohyun,” Joohyun smiled at Byul and nodded.

 

“Hey! What brought you here? How did you find my place?” Wheein asked after she lightly pat Joohyun’s arm.

 

Joohyun wanted to answer but she’s held back by the other person behind Wheein. Wheein noticed how uncomfortable Joohyun is so she asked Byul to check the place first.

 

“We’ll grab some coffee. What would you like to have?” Wheein asked Byul.

 

“Anything with alcohol in it,” Byul said as she walked away and gave Wheein a wink.

 

*

 

Wheein and Joohyun walked side by side. 

 

“Joohyun, how did you find me? Also, why are you here?” Wheein asked.

 

“Ah, I was picking my sister at the airport and I saw you. Also, I remember you told me where you used to live,” Joohyun scratched the back of her head.

 

“I see,” Wheein nodded. “Why didn’t you call me then? I mean you saw me,” Wheein asked.

 

“I want to but I don’t know what to say,” 

 

“Why? Because of what happened?”

 

“I guess. Wait, no. I mean, yes, it’s because of what happened and how we left things that day. You just disappeared,”

 

“Well, I got no reason to stay, that's why I left,” Wheein said in her defense.

 

“What if I’m wrong?” Joohyun halted and Wheein followed.

 

“What ‘wrong’?” 

 

“You are not just a friend to me, Wheein. You know what we had was special and I deeply regret my actions when you told me what you really feel for me,” Joohyun sighed nervously. “I was stupid enough not to realize how much you meant to me. I love you, Wheein, and I’m sorry if it took me too long to realize that,” 

 

“Joohyun, I think you should go home now,” Wheein affectionately suggested. “I’m sorry but I’m already seeing someone else,”

 

“STOP PUSHING ME AWAY!” Joohyun’s losing her patience but her expression was immediately became soft. “Wheein, do you still love me?” Joohyun asked.

 

“I do but it’s not like before. There’s nothing you did to make me unlove you, bu-” Wheein felt a pair of lips on hers. She gently pulled herself away. Her hands on Joohyun’s shoulders.

 

“See, you still love me so there’s still a chance for me, right?” Joohyun softly asked, her eyes got watery.

 

“I love you but it’s not the kind that makes me want to be with you anymore,” Wheein said looking straight into Joohyun’s eyes.

 

“Why?! You know we have something special. Why are you pushing me away?” Joohyun’s voice raised.

 

“Shh!,” Wheein looked around and felt uncomfortable by the judging eyes of the passersby. “If you knew we had something special then why did you say those things that day? You are not into women?! Bull! We did things together and then you threw that on me? I kept on trying to believe the words you said that day even though they are clearly bull. I kept trying but I just can’t help the thought that you just used me because, honestly, it made more sense!” Wheein kept her voice low even if she’s shaking in anger. She breathed in deep and said, “I’m sorry but you need to go home, Joohyun.”

 

Joohyun threw herself to Wheein and hugged her tightly. “Please, give me a chance to make things right.”

 

“You already had that chance, Joohyun.” Wheein slowly pulled herself away. “Just go home,” Wheein added then walked away.

 

Wheein forgot about the coffee. She forgot about Byul waiting for her in her place. She forgot her tasks for the day. She forgot about the judging eyes around her. She just kept on walking until a familiar voice called her name. 

 

Byul?! Wheein turned around and saw Byul behind her. She looked around and noticed that just walked past her house. 

 

“Where are you going?! Yong’s here!” Byul said while scratching the back of her neck.

 

Wheein then remembered the coffee she’s supposed to buy. She walked towards her place and followed Byul inside. 

 

“I’m sorry I forgot the coffee,” Wheein said almost whispering.

 

“Nah, it’s all good. Looks like things didn’t go well. If you feel like talking about it, I’m here,” Byul noticed how pale and quiet Wheein is. 

 

“Where’s Yong?” Wheein looked around when they reached the kitchen area. 

 

“Oh, she’s at the back. The workers are starting to paint there. Want me to get her?” 

 

“No, thanks. She must be busy but if she’ll look for me, tell her I’m at my grandma’s room. I’ll join you guys later,” Wheein said and when Byul nodded, she went straight to her grandmother’s room.

 

How dare she just barge into my life like that? Everything’s okay and -

 

There was a knock on the door. 

 

“Wheein, it’s Yong. Can I come in?” 

 

Should I tell her?

 

“Yes, come in,” 

 

When the door opened, Yong peeked first before she let herself in. She saw how distressed Wheein is.

 

Wheein watched Yong walked towards her and when Yong was only one feet away from Wheein, Yong froze when Wheein rested her head on her shoulder. There was no hugging or anything. Just Wheein forehead leaning on her shoulder. She felt how troubled Wheein is. She knew it from how much weight there is and how deep Wheein’s breathing is. Wheein then held Yong’s hands.

 

“You are always a breath of fresh air,” Wheein said without moving.

 

Yong was touched. She pulled Wheein in a tight embrace and remained like that.

 

I am going to tell her. I feel like I need to. 

 

“An old friend paid a visit today. It didn’t end well. We used to have something going on before but when I confronted her at that time, she flaked. She lied. Then I left and never came back. Then she found me yesterday and we had a talk earlier. She wanted me back,” Wheein scoffed and sarcastically chuckled. “She even kissed me.” Wheein snuggled her head closer to Yong’s neck. “I told her to go back to Daegu then I left.”

 

Yong sighed. It’d be unfair that Wheein’s the only one being transparent with about what happened this morning. She adjusted the angle of her head to give Wheein more space to fit her head to.

 

“I know,” Yong said. “I saw what happened earlier. I just got out of the shop when I saw you talking to a very pretty lady then I saw you kissed but you look troubled so I believe it’s something you do not wish to happen. I was surprised myself. I want to interfere but it’s not my place to. I wanted to follow you around but I’m carrying a coffee tray and bag of bread. It’ll be very difficult to walk around like that,” Yong laughed hoping this will lighten the mood. “Also, I wanted to give you space. I don’t want to cause you any trouble,” she said.

 

“You're so understanding and considerate. Can we stay like this a little bit longer?” Wheein asked.

 

“Okay. We’ll stay like this for as long as you want,” Yong relaxed more and started to brush Wheein’s hair with her fingers. “And Wheein,”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I’m here when you need a shoulder to lean on, okay?”

 

“Sounds cheesy but okay,” Wheein smiled.