Gate

Passerby

Dreams of William - Daughter

 


"That house is yours?!" Mi Ran, the name of the woman who owns the lodging house, was surprised when Wheein told her that the house across the lodging house was their family's. I knew it! She really looked like her. Mi Ran thought to herself.

 

"Yep, and it needs to be cleaned and fixed." Wheein winced every time she remembers how much work she has to put in to make it look like a house again.

 

"That is one hell of a pain in the ! Good thing you're going to fix that. Potential costumers remains potential because of that. I mean, would you stay in a place where there's a haunted house nearby." Mi Ran compained. It made Wheein laugh. She finds the old woman charming and Mi Ran reminded the young woman her grandmother. Both are very straightforward.

 

"Is DongHan's store still up? I need to buy some tools." Wheein asked.

 

"It is still up but they don't sell hammers and anymore. They sell frozen meat now." The woman smiled.

 

"I know that smile." Wheein noticed a longing smile from the woman.

 

"I used to date Dong Wan in my youth." The old woman looked at Wheein. "He's my first love."

 

"How about now? Are you seeing someone?" Wheein teased.

 

"After Dong Wan, I never dated anyone." The woman should look sad but she actually looked genuinely happy.

 

"Oh, may I know why?" Wheein asked.

 

"I'll tell you the story." Mi Ran sipped her morning coffee. 

 

"You see I liked him because of everything that he is. He's straightforward too like me. He don't take from other people. He's smart and his opinions danced perfectly with mine. He's my dream guy. He's not that good looking though but good lord! His body is sculpted by the gods! I love him because he's the only one who accepted me for who I am and helped me embrace every part of who I am. You don't get to meet someone casually like that back in the day. After three years of being together, he talked to me in the park and before he can even say a word, he started to cry. I've never seen him like that. He was so vulnerable that time. In my mind, I was a total chaos. Then he said that he was sorry. He said he couldn't help it." Mi Ran sipped her coffee again.

 

"Couldn't help what?" Wheein asked with eagerness.

 

"He's gay." Mi Ran looked down on her cup. "At first, I was frozen. I don't know what to say. Then he kept saying sorry. He said that he did everything to stop that feeling. I asked him if he ever loved me. He said that I'm the only person he ever loved so dearly and that's all I wanted to hear. Knowing that I am loved is enough for me. And I love him so much that I have to face my fear. I have to let him go so he can be happy." There was a tear in Mi Ran's eyes that are waiting to fall.

 

"Are you happy?" Wheein asked. 

 

"Yes, absolutely. Why wouldn't I be? Because I'm alone? I ended up with no one? He visits me here as often as he can. We'd talk about random things and do crazy . Our bond never changed. It's just before we are lovers and now, we are best of friends. I'd like to think of him as my companion. Companion doesn't have to be a husband or whatever. Companion is someone who is there. Literally or figuratively."

 

There was a long pause as they both sipped their morning coffees.

 

"Morning chat is always better than morning papers." Wheein said.

 

"I'd like to say that sad old men read newspaper in the morning but I don't want to be a stereotype so let's forget I said something, okay?" Mi Ran winked at her and laughed.

 

"So, where can I get some tools?" Wheein asked.

 

"I have some in the kitchen. I can lend it to you but I'd like to know what I can get from you?" Miran squinted at Wheein.

 

"Wow! I can't believe you." Wheein laughed and Mi Ran nodded to confirm that she is serious.

 

"You really are like my grandmother. Savage old women." Wheein smiled at Mi Ran.

 

"I'll take savage but old? Na-uh" Mi Ran shook her head from side to side.


"Okay! I'll help you with your lodging house in many ways. I'll bring in costumers in no time just let me fix the house." Wheein offered confidently.

 

"I like your confidence kid!" Both women laughed. 

 

"Deal?" Wheein stretched out her hand for Mi Ran to shake.

 

"Deal!"

 

--------

 

It's been three hours and Wheein is almost done cleaning her grandmother's bedroom. She remembered how she will always choose to sleep with her grandma than her mother. After her grandmother died, the room became hers. Some might find sleeping in a dead person's room eerie but not her. She still finds comfort and safety in that room just like when her grandmother is still alive. No matter how heavy the study table is or how many dust she's going to wipe clean, she didn't feel tired at all. It's like someone's giving her unlimited strength to do everything. 

 

After she's done with her grandmother's bedroom, she went out to their front porch to have a smoke. She remembered how she used to play here with her mother and grandma every weekend. Sometimes, her mother would teach her how to draw and sometimes her grandma will braid her hair until she falls asleep. She felt her tears pooling at the edge of her eyes and before it can fall, she wiped them with the back of her palm like a child. One stick haven't satisfied her so she lit up another one. Just as she looked up from lighting her cigarette she saw Byul standing at the gate looking at her. Due to her surprise, she inhaled the smoke through her nose accidentally and it made her cough like crazy.

 

"Can I come in?" Byul asked with eager eyes. Byul's excitement made her body twitch like a glitching robot.

 

Wheein nodded as she try to dampen with water. Byul stood beside her but her eyes are roaming everywhere.

 

"This place isn't that trashed but, still, needs a lot of work." Byul muttered to herself but loud enough to hear Wheein.

 

"I know. I can always hire someone but I wanted to do it myself. This place means so much." Wheein said as she release the smoke from her lungs.

 

"Smoking? It'll kill you, you know." Byul, now looking at Wheein, waved her hand to disperse the smoke around them.

 

"Yeah, bull." Wheein walked a little farther from Byul.

 

"Really, now?" Byul reacted in disbelief.

 

"We will all die." Wheein talked while smoke continuously puffing out od .

 

"Wow!"

 

As she finished her smoke, she bent down to put off the cigarette then walked towards the trashcan and threw it.

 

"Also, I am a responsible smoker." Wheein walked towards Byul.

 

"But you just smoked beside me earlier." Byul winced as she caught a scent of Wheein. "And you smell awful."

 

"Thank you!" Wheein grabbed a pair of rubber gloves and hand it to Byul. "And thanks for helping." She's headed now to clean her mother's bedroom and left Byul in disbelief. 

 

"What am I supposed to do?" Byul followed Wheein.

 

"Clean what you can clean. You're old enough, you can figure it out." Wheein said without looking at Byul. She was busy removing the books  from her mother's shelves.

 

Hours had passed and they are already done cleaning half of the house. Wheein called Byul to join her in the front porch. There was already a small coffee table and laid out carton box for them to sit on.

 

"Food should arrive in a couple of minutes." Wheein said when Byul stood next to her.

 

"I'm sorry about the smoking stuff. I know I have no right to tell you what to do or what not to do. I just--" Byul paused for a couple of seconds and continued. "Someone close to me died because of that." 

 

"A friend?" Wheein asked without looking at the person beside her.

 

"You could say that."

 

"Oh, must be a complicated one huh?" Wheein nudged her friend.

 

"Nothing more truer than than." Byul laughed.

 

"I can feel you. But mine didn't die. She just didn't see me that way." Wheein looked down. She slid her hand into her pocket trying to find her box of cigarette. She felt a hand gripping her elbow lightly. She surrendered and when she took out her hand from her pocket, Byul's hand slowly reached Wheein's. Byul held the small hand and when she felt it shaking, she held it tighter. "Sorry. Habits." Wheein looked at Byul with weary eyes.

 

"A bad one." Byul tugged Wheein's hand so she can be closer. Once Wheein's sides reached Byul's body, the taller woman s her one arm in Wheein's waist and held her closer. "And you stink. My smells better than you." Wheein immediately released herself from Byul's hug and punched her in her arm.

 

"Ow! You're too strong for a small human!" Byul rubbed her arm to ease the pain.

 

"Yeah, you." Wheein turned to look back at the gate and a motorcycle stopped in front of the gate. "The food's here!!" Wheein skipped like a kid as she ran to the gate and took her order.

 

"Shoud I call Seulgi?" Byul asked waving her phone to Wheein.

 

"Yes! And tell her to bring soju!" Wheein said as she placed the food down in the table.

 

"Isn't it a little early?" Byul asked. "The sun's still up."

 

"That's why! We needed the sun. I don't think drinking in total darkness is a great idea." Wheein explained as she pointed at the the empty bulb sockets in the ceiling.

 

------

 

"Guys! I need a hand!" Seulgi was already at the gate.

 

Byul, stood up and walked to Seulgi in a flash. You got this one right, Moonstar. Wheein thought to herself as she looked at a panicking Byul grab the plastic bag that Seulgi was carrying.

 

-----

Wheein was already on her bed back in the lodging house. She couldn't help but think about the one she loved back in Daegu.

 

"Excuse me, Miss. Did you took this bus eralier?" A police officer asked her while she was waiting for her order at a simple restaurant. The police officer then handed her a piece of paper where the bus name and route was written.

 

"Ah, yes. I did. May I know why ?" Wheein asked. She's calm but curious. She knows she didn't do something wrong but she wanted to know why.

 

"Yes! That's her! That's her!" A voice that is surely coming from a woman can be heard at the back of the police officer. Wheein was too lost in her head. She didn't know what was happening and she started to feel dizzy. She closed her eyes and calmed herself. Then she opened her eyes and said, "Okay. I really need to know what is happening." 

 

"She was the one who stole my wallet!" The woman from the back said. Wheein couldn't see her because the police officer is big enough to cover someone on his back.

 

'Wallet?' Wheein repeated the word in her mind. Her eyes shot wide when she finally understand the situation. 

 

"Okay, this might be a huge misunderstanding but I really do have your wallet." Wheein raised her hands as if surrendering. The police officer moved to the side then she finally saw the woman. Wheein felt her heart skipped a beat when she realised how beautiful she is. She couldn't believe that a woman like her exists.

 

"I-I actually came here to return it to you. I saw your ID and it says the you live in this area. I saw this place and decided to eat first before I can ask around about you. Then while ordering my food, I asked that woman," Wheein pointed to the woman who is just standing near the counter staring at them with shock. "if she knew you and she said the you are her sister. She wanted to take your wallet from me but I asked if I can be the one to return it just to be sure. She just shrugged. Ask her if you want." Wheein explained

 

"Give me my wallet, then!" The woman said as she extended her hand towards Wheein. 

 

"Okay, calm down." Wheein said as she pulled the wallet out of her pocket. "Here" Wheein placed the wallet to the woman's hand.

 

"Yah! Did she actually tried to return it?" The woman asked her 'sister' after she checked her wallet.

 

"Yes! I was actually offended when she didn't trust me." 

 

"It looks like you are all settled then. We apologize for the disturbance." The police officer bowed to Wheein.

 

"It's okay. I understand. Have a great day, sir!" Wheein bowed back to the police officer then took her bags with her and walked to the counter. She took out her wallet and asked the lady what are the total cost of her order. 

 

"You can cancel it, you know?" The lady told Wheein.

 

"Then let me pay for the inconvenience that I caused." Wheein said. 

 

"Nah! Just go back to your seat. We owe you. Our daughter is to blame. Just sit there and we'll bring you the food. We apologize." The lady patted Wheein's shoulder.

 

"No, it's okay! I just--"

 

"Just sit there, okay. Let us make it up to you." The lady looked around the place and when she spotted the one she's looking for she yelled, "Joohyun! Get your here!"

 

Joohyun, the accuser, went to them. 

 

"Bring this woman to our best spot and give her our specials!" 

 

"But I--" Joohyun protested but interrupted by the lady.

 

"And apologize!" The lady said.

 

"Ma! Why do-" Joohyun is a stubborn kid, Wheein thought.

 

Her mother gave her the mothers' 'Death Glare' and Joohyun stopped whining.

 

Joohyun lead Wheein to the place her mother mention and it was actually a great spot to eat. There's not much noise and the area is more spacious.

 

"People pay more to get this spot. You're lucky." Joohyun said as she sat in front of Wheein. 

 

"Well, I think you are the lucky one." Wheein smirked teasingly at Joohyun.

 

"What do you mean?" Joohyun asked as her cheeks started to get hot.

 

"You're lucky I'm the one who got your wallet. If that were somebody else, they would've kept it for themselves." Wheein said then she took out her instant camera from her messenger bag.

 

"What's that?" Joohyun asked.

 

"A camera." Wheein said as she took a photo of the woman in front of her.

 

"Yah! I will report you to the police ag--" Joohyun was once interrputed again as Wheein handed her the photo she took.

 

"Just wait for a couple of minutes and your photo should appear then." Wheein said. "You also looked better in person than in your ID photo." Wheein laughed.

 

"You are unbelievable!" Joohyun whispered and squinted at Wheein.

 

"You are grumpy!" Wheein did the same and it earned a smiled from Joohyun though the latter tried to hide it but Wheein's good at making it worse. "A cute grumpy lady." Wheein added and it made Joohyun blush so hard.

 

"Whatever!" Joohyun stood up and went to the kitchen. "I'll get your food."

 

"Cute" Wheein whispered as she closed her eyes to sleep. She'll never forget the day she met  Bae Joohyun, her first love.

 

------

 

Morning came and Wheein woke up a little late than yesterday. Part of her body is a little sore from all the cleaning she did. She needed to go to the city services office to fix her electricity lines and other stuff. A knock took her attention and sat up straight on the edge of the bed.

 

"You awake, kiddo?" It was Mi Ran's voice behind the door.

 

"Ah, yes! I'll be out in a minute." Wheein said as she stood up and grabbed her robe and other things.

 

"Okay, great! I wanted you to meet someone!"

 

------

 

Wheein went to the gazebo where she and Mi Ran had their breakfast yesterday. Wheein spotted a man sitting facing his back to Wheein and Mi Ran saw her then waved at her telling Wheein to join them. Based from the expression of Mi Ran, Wheein already knew who the man is.

 

"Hi, there!" Wheein said. "Good morning!"

 

"Hi! So you are Wheein?" The man looked at Wheein from head to toe. "Sit there, beautiful lady. I brought some mean breakfast that I personally made for the two of you." 

 

"Miss Mi Ran must've told you a lot about me, huh?" Wheein asked as she sat on the chair.

 

"Well, this auntie likes you very much." Dong Wan said as he winked at Wheein. "She said you looked like a cat and Mi Ran loves cats. I will not be surprised if she will adopt you."

 

"Aishh! You know how much I wanted to have a daughter, right? It's just everytime I look at our Wheeinie, I feel like she's the kind of daughter I would like to have." Mi Ran explained as she sipped her morning tea.

 

"Our Wheeinie?" Wheein repeated.

 

"See! You now have parents, Jung Wheein. I might as well drive you to daycare tomorrow before I head for work." Dong Wan joked which earned a laugh from both women.

 

"Jung Wheein?" Dong Wan said looking at his cup of coffee. It wasn't a call for Wheein's attention but more of trying to remember from Wheein's name. "I remember your mother. She's a very lovely woman. I always looked up to her, you know?" Dong Wan said. Wheein was surprised when she heard Dong Wan mentioned her mother.

 

"She is a duplicate of her mother." Mi Ran said.

 

"Wait! You know my mother?!" Wheein asked Mi Ran in disbelief. "Why didn't you tell me yesterday?" 

 

"I know how things ended up with your mother. Too bad, I wasn't here when it all happened. She is my friend. Our friend. I just can't tell you alone. I needed him to be here too." Mi Ran explained.

 

"Do you remember when I used to go by in your house?" Dong Wan asked Wheein. She tried to collect her memories from the past and all she can remember is a car who always stop at their house.

 

"I don't really remember." Wheein said as she looked down on the table.

 

"I suppose it was a very painful memory for you that's why you hardly remember anything." Dong Wan held Wheein's hand. "I used to go there and visit your mom. I bring foods and everything. My only mistake was I didn't look after you." Dong Wan held Wheein's hand tighter. "I am sorry, sweetheart." Wheein looked up and there was a tear running down in the old man's face.

 

"It's okay." Wheein smile and reassured the two people in front of her. "I turned out okay, after all. And I am no one's responsibility. When my mother passed away, I am already old enough to look after myself." Wheein was fighting her tears back as she remembered all the hardships she had after her mother's death.

 

"No" Mi Ran started to cry. "You are still young. Too young to be out there alone. Too young to be alone." Mi Ran shook her head from left to right. "You are just a kid then!"

 

"Stop crying! It'll make me cry too!" Wheein said as she started to cry.

 

"We'll look after you from now on, okay?" Dong Wan wiped Wheein's tears and fixed her hair. "I hope we are not too late, Wheein-ah" 

 

-----

 

After they've recovered from the dramatic event, Wheein suddenly asked Mi Ran.

 

"I've never seen you here before."

 

"I live on a different street. three streets from here, to be exact. Then after we broke up, I move abroad. I came back and I thought of your mother when I walked in this street. I bought this place so I can look after the house. It's the least I can do for your Mom. I was actually planning to buy it but the current owner, which is you, won't let it be sold. I figured you'd come back and then there you are! Plan worked!" Mi Ran smiled.

 

"So this lodging house? Is this part of your plan as well?" Wheein asked.

 

"No, i just needed to earn money to live." Mi Ran honestly answered the question that earn a smile from Wheein. "'s got to eat!" Mi Ran said and made everyone laugh.

 

-----

 

Wheein headed to their house after she went to city hall and hardware store. She even headed to the salon to get her hair chopped and bleached because she suddenly felt like doing it. She believed that today will be a good day.

She bought a lot of light bulbs. She needed to work longer so she can finish this ahead of time. She pulled out a cigarette and started to smoke. She felt her phone buzz and  took it from her pocket. It's an email from Hyejin.

 

Have you read my last email? Anyway, would you like to open the gate for me?

 

Wheein's eye grew wide as she remembered Hyejin's email before. Damn, it's becaue of that Yongsun lady! Wheein muttered in her mind. Wait? Open the gate?! She looked at the gate of their property and saw a familiar person.

 

"Wheein-ah! Can I come in?" Hyejin waved at her.