Storm

Passerby

 


 

 

*** Day 1 ***

 

It didn’t take Wheein long when she arrived in Japan. Her plan is to go straight to Okinawa and she’s lucky enough to find a cheap direct flight from Seoul. She was standing outside the airport waiting for her booked taxi. While at it, she took out her phone and took a photo of herself and her view. She sent them to Mi Ran first and said, “I just arrived! Can’t wait to go to the beach!” then she sent them to Yongsun.

 

To: Waifu <3

 

I look pretty, right? Hahaha! I just got here and I’m headed to the lodging house I booked. I’m just waiting for the cab. Yong, I can’t wait to go to the beach! I haven’t surfed in a while, though. I hope the waves aren’t too aggressive… let me know when to call you! Eat well, alright? Take care! 

 

Wheein slid her phone back to her pocket and waited until her cab arrived. 

 

*** Month 1 ***

 

The sky is getting a little blue-ish and purple-ish, and a faint figure of the moon is starting to appear. Wheein was lying on the warm sand, listening to the waves crashing, and feeling the mixture of cold and warm breeze. In three days, she’ll be leaving Okinawa and head to Melbourne. The trip will be a little troublesome because aside from it being a connecting flight, the layover is twelve hours long. Well, this is not new for Wheein but it’d be nice if she can have a smoother trip. 

 

“Whee!” a man’s voice called her name. 

 

Wheein sat up and looked at where the voice came from. 

 

“What?” Wheein asked.

 

“You’d be leaving soon! We need to celebrate!” the man said, waving at Wheein to come.

 

“I haven’t had my dinner yet!”

 

“Then have your dinner while you drink!”

 

Wheein gave up and stood up. She brushed her clothes, removing the sand that are stuck on her. 

 

She went to the tent where her friends sat and saw all the delicious foods that are displayed on the table. 

 

“I can’t pay for these!” Wheein said.

 

“It’s on us, kid! Me and my wife are lucky to have you here again. You look better, kid!” The man said.

 

Wheein sat down and observed the foods in front of her.

 

“We never thought you’d be back!” A woman in her thirties sat beside Wheein and nudged her arm. 

 

“Me too,” Wheein smiled.  

 

Wheein stood up and distanced herself from the table. She took photos of the food and her friends. She uploaded them on her Facebook account which she made a week after she arrived in Okinawa. It’s the easiest way to share her photos with everyone but she still takes one single photo of herself exclusively for Yongsun. Wheein walked a little closer to the water and took a selfie with the huts and trees as her background. For Yong.

 

To: Waifu <3

 

Hey! How are you? You haven’t called or texted me since yesterday. Don’t overwork yourself, okay? I sent you a photo. Oh, we’ll be having a small gathering tonight. Also, I’ll be in Australia in three days. I’ll try to find the woman who gave the beanie. I hope I can find her.

 

Yong, I miss you. Call me when you can, okay? I love you!

 

Wheein put her phone back to her pocket and went back to the tent.

 

*** Month 3 ***

 

“Hey, are you okay? You don’t look good,” Yongsun asked.

 

Wheein just got back to her rented place in Melbourne and she felt so sad that she couldn’t hide it from Yongsun.

 

“I looked for her again this morning and, yeah, I found her,” Wheein said and sighed.

 

“Then why do you look like that?” Yongsun asked, taking out something from her refrigerator.

 

“I, She, uhm. I feel like crying, unnie,” Wheein said, the corners of went down as she pursed her lips.

 

Yongsun stopped whatever it is that she’s doing and sat down. It became a thing for Wheein that she’d call Yongsun, ‘unnie’ when she’s troubled or not in a good condition. As much as Yongsun wanted Wheein to express her feelings more to her, she hated the fact that she can’t do much about it. With the look on Wheein’s face, Yongsun wanted to wrap her girlfriend in her arms, kiss her, and tell her that it’ll be fine. 

 

“It’s okay, Wheein. If you feel like crying just let it. It’s better to let it out and you know that I’m here to listen, right?” Yongsun said, absentmindedly playing with the half-empty glass of water.

 

“She’s gone now,” Wheein then burst into tears.

 

Yongsun asked how she found out about it and Wheein told her everything. 

 

*** Month 4 ***

 

Wheein just came back from her camping in Skoki, a place 2 hours away from Calgary. She spent three nights there with her old friends, sharing their stories of passion in traveling. They also shared music with each other and even played some with a friend’s ukulele during their campfire. 

 

It was a refreshing weekend. 

 

Wheein decided to clean up her stuff tomorrow since she’s already tired from the trip. She was welcomed by her new roommate who’s about to head out.

 

“How was your weekend by the lake?” her roommate asked.

 

“It was great! Very refreshing! Thank you for asking! You heading out for dinner?” Wheein asked.

 

“Yeah, you want to join? They said there’s this amazing steak house down the street,” 

 

“I’m pretty tired, actually. I’m more tired than hungry but maybe we can grab some food there together next time. Thank you, though! Have a nice dinner!” Wheein said.

 

She took out her phone and found that there’s no message from her girlfriend.

 

To: Waifu <3

 

Hey, unnie... Still no messages? Are you that busy? Please take care of yourself. We barely talk to each other anymore. Are you okay? Are we okay? Are you tired of this? Of me? We haven’t talked since last week… You were the one who wanted transparency now look at what you’re doing. You don’t want to be left in the dark but that’s what you’re doing to me. And it hurts me so much. The trip was useless. You didn’t even know I was away for four days and you didn’t even bother to leave me a message or anything… Please don’t get tired of me…

 

Wheein looked at the unsent message to Yongsun. She’s dying to hit ‘send’ but she thinks that this won’t do any good. It’s her fault in the first place. She shouldn’t have left. 

 

Wheein erased everything she typed and wrote a new one.

 

To: Waifu <3

 

How are you, Yong? I miss you so much. Please call me when you can. I love you… 

 

Wheein woke up late. She opened her phone and saw a message from Yongsun. This is Yongsun’s first message in a long time.

 

From: Waifu <3

 

Hey, Wheein. I just read all your messages. I’m sorry I was so caught up in work. I’m handling two projects right now and I’m all over the place! I miss you too. Oh, I saw the photos you uploaded! I didn’t know you went camping. The place looked so beautiful. When are you flying to Brazil? BTW, can’t call anytime soon. I need to focus on work.

 

Wheein noticed something and no matter how many excuses she makes for Yongsun’s side, she just can’t brush it off. She didn’t say ‘I love you’

 

This may seem a little petty but Wheein’s getting much more sensitive about it because they don’t talk that much anymore. 

 

To: Waifu <3

 

Hello, Yong! I just woke up. Wow! Two projects? It just shows how good you are at your job. It’s okay! I understand! Good luck! I know you can do it! I love you!

 

*** Month 5 ***

 

Wheein and Yongsun are in a heated argument over the phone. Wheein couldn’t handle it anymore. While she waited for Yongsun to be out of work, she had a couple of drinks in the pub on the upper street. Maybe it was the alcohol that made her do it. Now, she kind of regrets calling her girlfriend.

 

“ing hell, Wheein! It’s 9 am there and you are drunk? What the is wrong with you?!” Yongsun said, almost shouting.

 

“I just, I don’t know why, unnie,” a slurring Wheein said, trying to level her voice. She doesn’t want Yongsun to hear her quiver.

 

“It’s 9 am there for the love of god! And I am here just got out from work wanting to have my rest!”

 

Wheein paused. There was a long silence between them. Wheein stopped walking and found herself a seat nearby. She sat there and sighed before she talked. 

 

“Yongsun-unnie, are you tired?” Wheein said, sniffing.

 

“Of course, I am tired!” Yongsun yelled at the phone. 

 

“Of waiting?”

 

“What?” 

 

“You may not notice it but I do. I can feel you drifting away from me each day,” Wheein said and paused hoping for a response from Yongsun. “Unnie, I won’t bother you anymore. I’ll give you your peace and think about us. When you have made up your mind, call me. Whatever it is, I’ll do my best to understand. I’m sorry for everything I put on you. I love you, unnie. Talk to you soon,” Without waiting for Yongsun to say something, Wheein ended the call. She stood up and walked back to her apartment.

 

*** Month 7 ***

 

Wheein went back to Iceland and this time, Helga offered her to stay at her place for free. 

 

Wheein tried to brush off the idea of Yongsun and focus on what’s happening in front of her. 

 

Two months had passed and she did not receive even a single word from Yongsun. Wheein couldn’t stop wondering if Yongsun’s eating well, if she’s sleeping well, if she’s okay, or if she’s happy. She wanted to ask Hyejin but she figured that Yongsun will contact her soon. She didn't want to bring Hyejin into this mess.

 

She went back for another hike in the mountains to get off of some things in her mind.

 

Today is Wheein’s second day in the outdoors. This day will serve as their rest day since all they did was walk for hours yesterday. This is the longest hike that she’s done her whole life. Her body is in pain but as soon as she saw the view when she opened her tent, everything washed away except for Yongsun. She misses her so much. 

 

Wheein knows that she promised not to bother Yongsun anymore but she just can’t help it. She took her phone but to her dismay, there is no signal. She sighed and met up with the team, Helga included.

 

“You okay, dear?” Helga asked.

 

“Yeah, but my body hurts so much.” 

 

“Let’s go to a spa after this and pamper ourselves! You’ve been buried in your work lately. I haven’t seen you so invested in your work!” 

 

“Helga, last night I heard about an incoming storm. Is it headed here?” Wheein asked.

 

“Yes there is a storm coming here in the country but it’ll be far from where we are. From what Anton said, we’ll be experiencing light rainfall tomorrow on our way back,” Helga explained as she offered Wheein a protein bar.

 

“Isn’t it a little dangerous?”  Wheein asked, taking the protein bar.

 

“Nah! It’s actually fun. Also, Anton said that if the rain gets a little heavy, there’s a cabin station where we can stay. Don’t worry, we’re all safe here,” Helga said, patting Wheein’s arm.

 

Meanwhile, back in Korea, Byul is in chaos. Yesterday, she received a message from Wheein that she’ll be out for a hike and, now, she saw news on her phone that a typhoon track took a turn and headed straight to Iceland instead.

 

Byul wondered if Hyejin or Yongsun knew about this so she first called Wheein’s girlfriend.

 

“Hey, Byul! I’m sorry but can this wait? I’m in the middle of something right now. Call me later?” Yongsun said.

 

“Wait! Do you know that there’s a typhoon coming in Iceland?” Byul asked, voice a little shaky.

 

“No? Why?”

 

“I don’t get why you don’t sound concerned at all but Wheein’s in Iceland and she’s on a hike with some friends! I can’t reach her phone! I can’t contact her! I tried everything! What if she's stuck there and, and, I don't even want to go there but what if Wheein's hurt or in serious danger? Yong,” Byul said, almost shouting.

 

Yongsun felt like a pipe pierced through her heart. She stood frozen outside the conference hall, thinking about Wheein and nothing else. Wheein’s in danger. 

 

Yongsun wanted to scream and smash herself against the wall as she remembered their last conversation but, still, she remained frozen. 

 

“Yong, I don’t know what to do anymore. I feel like I’m losing my mind,” Byul said.

 

“I’m going to call Hyejin,” Yongsun said, then ended the call.

 

Guilt washed over Yongsun as she recalls the last conversation they had. She didn't notice how long she's ignored Wheein. Yongsun then wondered what came over her to not say anything or reach out to Wheein.

 

She didn’t want to make excuses but her work is taking a toll on her. Ever since they added “Restoration” on their services, Yongsun’s work has piled up. She was assigned to handle the Restoration department. In short, she got promoted. Not long after, it took a toll on her and her relationship with Wheein. Instead of working on her frustrations from work, she’d throw it all on her girlfriend. She’d get salty when she needed to finish her work and Wheein wouldn’t stop texting her or calling her. It’s as if Wheein became a nuisance to Yongsun.

 

Yongsun massaged her temple as she realized why she let silence stand between her and Wheein.

 

Was I too complacent that Wheein would always be there and never leave?

 

I shouldn’t have let this go on this long. I should’ve realized this sooner! I should’ve called and told her that I was in the wrong and that I love her and that everything will be fine! Why am I so ing stupid?!

 

Yongsun dialed Hyejin's number and waited for an answer.

 

“Unnie?” 

 

“Hyejin, do you know where Wheein is right now?” Yongsun asked, quite authoritative.

 

“Iceland?” Hyejin said. “Why? Were you guys in a fight? Didn’t Wheein tell you where she was? She’s been in Iceland for quite a while.”

 

“Do you know that there’s a typhoon coming in Iceland and she’s on a hike? Byul can’t contact her. Hyejin, I’m scared,” Yongsun said, crying.

 

“Unnie, are you in the office right now?” Hyejin asked.

 

“Yes,”

 

“Jesus! It’s already midnight and you’re still working? I’ll go there now and pick you up. Give me ten minutes,” Hyejin said. 

 

***

 

Back to where Wheein is, she was lying down, watching the sky, unaware of the people in Korea losing their minds trying to find a way to contact her. 

 

“It is so peaceful here,” Wheein said, smiling.

 

“I know,” Helga, lying beside Wheein, took a bite of her protein bar.

 

“I’ve taken a lot of photos earlier! Everything just looked so magical! I can’t wait to show it to them,” Wheein said.

 

“There’s a huge rock formation near here and you can etch your name in one specific stone, would you like to go there?” Helga offered.

 

“Hell yeah!” 

 

***

 

“I just booked a flight to Iceland,” Yong said, sitting on her sofa, wiping her tears.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t come with you this time, unnie,” Hyejin squeezed Yongsun’s hand and leaned her head on her unnie’s shoulder.

 

“I’m so stupid, Hyej,” Yongsun suddenly burst into tears. “I don’t even know when was our last conversation! All I know is that we are not okay. She was drunk and I am tired. But I am not tired of her! I am not tired of waiting for her! I was just tired because of work! I feel so pressured now that I have more responsibilities unlike before. I can’t afford to fail, Hyej,”

 

“Unnie, are you still trying to prove yourself to your Mom?” Hyejin asked.

 

“I just want to show her that I am happy with the career I have chosen for myself,”

 

“But clearly don’t look happy right now. You are great at what you do but please, do it for yourself. Ever since you got that promotion, you merely smiled at everyone. We don’t see each other that much anymore. The last time we’re together was last week and you are all over your phone that night!” Hyejin said. “I can only imagine what Wheein must have felt,” 

 

Hyejin’s phone suddenly rang. It was Byul.

 

“Hey,” Hyejin said.

 

“Did you manage to contact her?” Byul said, sniffing. “Will she be okay?” 

 

“I don’t know, Byul. All we can do right now is hope fo-”

 

“ hope! I want to hear her voice right now!”

 

“Hey! Unnie’s flying to Iceland after the storm,” Hyejin said, then Yongsun took the phone from her.

 

“Once I find her, I will drag her back here,” Yongsun said, voice quivering.

 

“I’ll send you the address where Wheein’s staying,” Byul said.

 

***

 

The storm softened as it made its landfall. There wasn’t even a single drop of rain when they trailed their way back. The said typhoon became just a heavy rainfall to where it landed and didn’t cause damage.

 

Wheein walked along with Helga on the way to the pub  when the van dropped them off on the nearest stop.

 

When they entered the pub that Helga manages, there were only a few people inside. What caught Wheein’s eyes is the only person standing near the bar table. 

 

It was Yongsun.

 

“Hey, Helga. There’s just someone I needed to talk to right now. I’ll go upstairs later,” Wheein said, eyes glued on her girlfriend.

 

“I see. Give me your bag. I bring them up for you. You’re girlfriend’s prettier in person, by the way,” Helga said and took Wheein’s bag before she left.

 

Wheein tilted her head, asking for Yongsun to follow her outside the pub.