Bonfire

Passerby

Georgia - Vance Joy

 

 


 

 

It was getting dark and Wheein hasn’t come back from the market. She’s not answering her phone too. Yongsun’s starting to get worried while Hyejin and Byul is busy re-arranging the furniture in the living room. Yong was walking back and forth on the front porch wondering if Wheein’s okay. She kept on calling Wheein’s phone but she’s not answering.

 

“Where the hell is she?” Yong whispered.

 

Byul noticed how worried Yongsun is so she decided to go to her. She knocked on the open door to get Yongsun's attention.

 

“FYI, Wheein’s been living alone for a very long time. I believe she’s still not used to the thought of someone waiting for her back home. She might not even realize that someone’s worried sick about her. Just calm do-” Byul stopped talking and smiled when she saw Wheein coming in.

 

“You know what? Just turn around,” Byul said to Yong.

 

Yongsun turned around and saw Wheein holding huge plastic bags on each hand. She ran to her and gave her a tight hug.

 

“Where have you been?!” Yongsun asked as she pulled away from the hug and checking on Wheein’s body. “You are not answering my calls!” Yongsun then scolded her.

 

“Okay… you are being weird,” Wheein said with a smile. 

 

“You’ve been on the market for hours! Then when I was calling you, you are not answering your damn phone!” Yongsun hated herself for worrying too much but she just couldn’t help it.

 

“I’m sorry, Yong. I just, uhm, these are quite heavy and I have to take a break from walking,” Wheein said in her defense. 

 

Yong took both plastic bags from Wheein’s hand but she’s still glaring at her.

 

“What?” Wheein asked.

 

“You could’ve used a taxi going here or call me to pick you up! Use your goddamn phone!” Yong said then she started to march her way to inside.

 

Wheein was taken aback from Yongsun’s actions. She felt sorry for making Yong worry but she finds it cute. 

 

Wheein took her phone and unmuted it. She even set the ringtone in the highest volume so even if her phone is in her bag or not with her, she can still hear it.

 

While she was on her way to the front door, it opened and Hyejin came out.

 

“We have to talk,” Hyejin whispered.

 

Hyejin dragged Wheein on the farthest corner of the front garden far from the porch.

 

“Byul told me about that Daegu lady. If you are just fooling around with unnie, please put an end to it immediately. Byul told me that you have nothing to do with her but I want it to hear it from you because, Wheein, I’ve never seen unnie so excited and eager about something. I love you but I don’t tolerate bull,” Hyejin scolded Wheein, almost threatening in a way.

 

“Okay, I will tell you. We had something going on but that was years ago! Whatever Yongsun and I have, it’s something I want to keep going for as long as I can.” Wheein then smiled like she was dreaming of a good dream. “I don’t know how to explain it, Hyejin. It just feels so good when I think about her, you know? Every time I ge to realize how lucky I am, my breath hitch.”

 

Hyejin smiled at the thought but there’s something she’s been eager to ask Wheein.

 

“Wheein-ah,” Hyejin asked in a serious tone.

 

“What? You’re scaring me,” Wheein said as her stupid smile fades away.

 

“If you are a hundred percent serious about Yongsun-unnie, what are your plans? I mean, she’ll be back in Seoul and you mentioned that you are still leaving. How are going to make it work? The way I saw how worried unnie is, I think a long-distance relationship will be quite challenging most especially on her side,” Hyejin voiced out her concerns about Wheein and Yongsun’s relationship.

 

Honestly, it was something Wheein has been thinking about. She has played a lot of different scenarios in her mind but everything didn’t make sense.

 

“Jin-ah, can we talk later? Just the two of us?” Wheein asked.

 

Hyejin gave out the biggest smile that she can ever give right now. For her, it felt like the old days when Wheein would call her or visit her when something’s bothering Wheein. It felt like they are going back on track as being best friends again. 

 

“Yes, of course!” Hyejin jumped then threw herself to Wheein to give her the best hug she can ever give to someone.

 

“Also, Hyejin?” Wheein asked as they pulled away from each other’s arms.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Can you help me make tteokbokki?” Wheein smiled.

 

*

 

“Jesus! Wheein, I didn’t know we’ll be making food for every single human being standing on your property! I’d rather move heavy furniture!” Hyejin whined while helping Wheein preparing the rice cakes of the table.

 

“Then go! I’ll just ask Byul,” Wheein said while shoo-ing Hyejin.

 

Hyejin then stopped and put on a smile. “I’m just saying but I want to spend more time with you, you know,” Hyejin said then went back to unpacking the rice cakes. “How many paste did you buy?” Hyejin asked.

 

“I don’t have any idea. I just put stuff on the cart hoping I’m making the right choice,” Wheein laughed.

 

“Really?!” Hyejin then gasped when Wheein nodded. “You are unbelievable, Jung Wheein!” Both women laughed.

 

“I think we should check everything I bought before we fire up the huge pan,” Wheein suggested. "I'm sorry I'm not really used to cooking. For years, I just go out to eat somewhere or just buy instant foods. There some that I made friends with that gives me food sometime because they feel bad about me eating ,"

 

 

“You know I kind of envy you,” Hyejin asked as her giggles die.

 

“What? Why all of a sudden?” 

 

“You’ve got so many exciting and wonderful stories from your journey. The only fun memories I remember is when we were kids; when I was with you,” Hyejin said.

 

“I know you have more most especially when you are in college. You just don’t acknowledge those, I guess,” Wheein said and she saw Hyejin nodded but she knew that Hyejin just ignored what she just said. Wheein knew it’ll be hard to convince Hyejin to let her guilt go.

 

*

 

Wheein and Hyejin finished making tteokbokki and called everyone to get theirs. Wheein was about to give a cup to Yongsun but she just walked past Wheein. She was focused on her phone and tapped on it like crazy. Wheein followed her to the back garden and found Yongsun making a phone call. Wheein didn’t want to eavesdrop but when Yongsun started to talk she just couldn’t stop herself.

 

“Yes, Sir! I’m sorry for being out for too long but I am working on a project here in Jeonju. I’ll show it to you as soon as I get back there in the office. It’ll be good in my portfolio and we can expand our services, … Yes, I am sorry, … Just give me two weeks and I’ll be there with a presentation, … Yes, sir, .... Again, I’m sorry,”  Wheein didn’t listen to the whole conversation. She walked back to the kitchen and asked Byul to give the plate to Yongsun. 

 

Byul found it weird that Wheein don’t want to give it to Yongsun personally but from the look on Wheein’s face, Byul didn’t bother to ask her. Maybe tomorrow, Byul thought to herself. She watched Wheein walk out of the house. Byul thought Wheein was tired and just needed some time for herself.

 

Wheein finished her food and placed the empty plate on a carton box. She lit up a cigarette then looked up to watch the stars slowly appearing in the now turning dark sky. Wheein thought about her situation with Yongsun.

 

Am I caught in the web of my ‘in-the-now’ ?

 

Once done, she put it off and walked outside. She then decided to grab some beer and soju for her and Hyejin. There are so many things she wanted to talk to Hyejin about but she’ll need a little push to get her thoughts out in the open. While waiting in line to pay for the drinks, her phone rang. She looked at it and it was Yongsun.

 

“Hey,” greeted Wheein.

 

“Where are you?! The tteokbokki’s really nice!” Yong’s voice is a little muffled due to the food she stuffed in . Wheein smiled as she imagined Yong’s filled cheeks.

 

“I was just buying something from the store. I’ll be there soon,” Wheein said forgetting to acknowledge Yong’s praise on her tteokbokki.

 

“Oh, okay. You don’t sound good. Are you okay? You know you can tell me anything,” Yong said.

 

 

“Ah! No, I’m okay! Don’t worry about me. I was just really tired, you know?”

 

“Are you still bothered about what happened earlier with your ‘friend’?” Yong asked.

 

“I guess and cooking for twenty people wore me out. Hey, Yong?” 

 

Yongsun felt a little nervous about what Wheein’s going to say next.

 

“Hmm?”

 

Wheein was about to ask Yong if they can cancel everything work-related tomorrow so they can hang out but Wheein suddenly thought that she should talk to Hyejin first. 

 

Yongsun is someone I just met recently but she already embedded herself my heart. She’s so special and I don’t want to mess this up.

 

“Ah, ! I forgot what I’m about to ask you. I’ll be there soon,” Wheein said with a forced laugh.

 

“Do you want me to get you?” Yong asked.

 

“Are you done eating?” 

 

“Yup,”

 

“When you get out, go to your right. Just walk straight. I’m at the first store you’ll find,” 

 

“Okay! I’m on my way now,” Yongsun giggled.

 

*

 

Wheein was waiting outside the store when she saw someone running towards her.

 

“You don’t have to run!” Wheein said as she laughed. 

 

This unnie really is something else! She’s so adorable!

 

“I wasn’t until I saw you standing here waiting!” Yongsun said breathing a little heavier than normal. She saw what’s inside the plastic bag that Wheein is carrying. “Are we drinking?”

 

“Don’t kid yourself! You don’t drink!” Wheein laughed.

 

“I do! I’m just not good at it!” Yongsun protested.

 

“Alright, alright! No need to be upset! It’s for me and Hyejin. I want to spend some time with her. We haven’t really hung out like fo’ wealz,” Wheein said as she mocked Hyejin.

 

“Let me carry that,” Yongsun offered.

 

“Unnie, I know I’m small but don’t underestimate my strength,” Wheein rolled her eyes at Yong.

 

“Then why did you let me go here?” Yong asked.

 

“Really? You offered to pick me up and I thought you just want to accompany me since I’m on my own. Honestly, I was hoping we can make out before we go home but you totally killed the vibe.” Wheein shrugged and it felt like a prize when she saw how still and quiet Yongsun became. Wheein laughed then took Yong’s hand. “I’m just messing with you. Let’s go,” Wheein tugged Yong’s hand then they started walking back to Wheein’s place.

 

“Your hand is cold,” Yongsun said as she squeezed Wheein’s hand.

 

“What are you going to do about it?” Wheein teased.

 

Yongsun smiled then she did the same thing she did on their first date. Yong slid their clasped hands in her overcoat pocket and asked, “Warm enough?”

 

Wheein smiled like a child. She was thinking of something dirty but decided to brush it off. She just said, “Yeah, warm enough,”

 

They had been walking for a couple of minutes and the bag that Wheein’s carrying is starting to hurt her hand. She kept fixing her hold to ease the pain because she doesn't want Yong to carry it and she didn’t want to let go of her hand.

 

This really hurts! 

 

What Wheein didn’t know is that Yong can see her discomfort and she finds it funny and sweet. Yong decided to let it be since Wheein’s so confident earlier. She doesn't want to feel Wheein bad.

 

Wheein looked at her hand that’s carrying the bag and saw that it’s starting to make a mark on her fingers. Wheein sighed then stopped from walking. She held the bag in front of them and said, “Can you carry it for a while? My hand is hurting.”

 

Wheein looked down on the ground hoping Yongsun will not about it. She felt Yong took the plastic bag from her hand and heard nothing. With this, Wheein felt like this is all a dream, like Yongsun is a dream.

 

“Just carry it for a minute, I just needed to rest my hand.” Wheein added.

 

“Okay,” Yongsun answered giving her a sweet smile and Wheein felt her heart skip a beat.

 

Not long after, Wheein’s hand felt a little better so she asked Yongsun to hand her the bag.

 

“Are you sure? We are almost there and I won’t mind carrying it,” Yongsun said.

 

“Yup,” 

 

“But your hand will hurt,” 

 

“Well, like you said we are almost there so it will not hurt like before,” Wheein extended her hand to Yong.

 

“If you say so,” Yong handed the bag to Wheein.

 

“By the way, we need to speed up our work on your house. Our head designer called and I’m needed in Seoul. I need to go back as soon as possible,” Yong said while kept glancing on Wheein trying to read Wheein’s reaction.

 

“Alright!” Wheein smiled at Yongsun.

 

Wheein’s good at masking her real emotions. She is so good at it that she can convince anyone, even her late mother. Sometimes she’ll kid herself by thinking of getting acting jobs. 

 

Yongsun was a little taken aback by Wheein’s reaction. Even if she hates to see Wheein sad or disappointed, that’s what she’s expecting at this point. It puzzled Yong that she’d gone speechless.

 

“I know we’ll be busy in the coming days but can I still take you out sometime? I mean, only if you are not too tired. I don’t want you to get sick or something,” Wheein asked.

 

“Of course!” Yongsun laughed even if there’s still something hanging in the back of her mind. She stopped and stared at Wheein’s eyes who then turned to face her.

 

“What?” 

 

“I find it funny when I remember how slick you are when we first met then there you are acting like an eight-year-old. You are so cute when you act your size,” Yongsun laughed but she stopped immediately when she saw how serious Wheein is. Yongsun figured Wheein doesn’t like getting teased with her height. “I’m sorry, I uh, I-I, I’m not going to say anyth-” Yongsun stopped when Wheein’s started laughing.

 

“Oh! I’m just ing with you, unnie!” Wheein giggled.

 

“Please stop doing that! It’s annoying!” Yongsun scolded Wheein.

 

“Oops, I’m sorry,” Wheein smiled. “Let’s go,” 

 

*

 

Everyone went home except for Hyejin and Wheein. The two of them set a small bonfire at the back garden to keep them warm. After they’ve settled in their seats, the first thirty minutes was composed of the crackling sound of burning wood, clinking bottles, and the music that was playing on Hyejin’s phone. They just drank and watched the fire dancing in front of them. After a couple of shots, Wheein spoke.

 

“I never thought I needed this,” Wheein said as she poured herself another shot of alcohol.

 

“What ‘this’?” Hyejin asked.

 

“Everything that is happening right now,” Wheein said then drank her shot. “I never thought I needed to go home. I never thought I needed to see you. I never thought I needed a friend like Byul. I never thought I needed a person like Yongsun. I never thought I needed to be in this house,” Wheein slouched on her chair. “It’s funny to think that all this time the things, the people, and the situation that I’ve been avoiding is what I actually needed to be able to feel new. I’m starting to think that if only I resolved everything before I left, I’d be happier. Now, I wonder what it must feel like to travel without anything weighing me down,”

 

“So, are you saying that you regret leaving?” Hyejin threw the disposable shot glass into the fire and opened another bottle of soju. She then drank it straight from the bottle.

 

“No, but I think the regret that I’ll have is if I never came back. Imagine running away for the rest of your life,” Wheein chuckled. “Horrifying!” 

 

“I’m happy that you did come back and I’m happy that you still took me in when all I did was take you for granted,” Hyejin said.

 

“Well, I’m thankful that you invited me even if there was no wedding to attend to,” Wheein looked at Hyejin. “If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t consider going home,” Wheein took a piece of chip and threw it to Hyejin so she can look at her. When Hyejin did, Wheein offered Hyejin a toast. “Thank you, Jin-ah. If it wasn’t for your ‘paper marriage’ then I wouldn’t be here with you.”

 

“To paper marriage,” Hyejin said as she raised her own bottle.

 

“To paper marriage,” Wheein then clinked their bottles. Both women laughed and this scenario is almost similar to their younger selves sharing laughter at the most non-sense things.

 

As soon as the laughter subsides, Wheein found this as an opportunity to ask Hyejin for advice.

 

“Jin-ah, I need your help in something,” Wheein said as she adjusted her seat.

 

“Go ahead,”

 

“Do you think it will be fine with Yong if I continue to date her but we are away from each other from time to time?”

 

“I already told you about my opinion on that but if you have a plan, can I hear it?” Hyejin asked.

 

“You see, traveling is something important to me. It may be funny to hear but I’m sort of devoted to it. It brings me this undefinable feeling that exceeds happiness and I can’t just give it up. What I have in mind is I’d still go but instead of living like a nomad, I’ll be settling here in Jeonju and travel from time to time,” Wheein paused waiting for Hyejin to say something.

 

“Are you stupid? That’s a great idea! Yong will be more than fine with it!” 

 

“But I’m here in Jeonju and she’s in Seoul?” Wheein added in frustration. "Also, I'm planning that I'll be spending another year traveling. This time, I wanted to travel without the thought of running away from something or thinking of starting all over again. I wanted to go out there with a light heart,"

 

“I’m sorry, sis. She’s the only one who can answer your question but I think Yongsun-unnie will be okay with that. Is that what’s bothering you?”

 

Wheein nodded and said, “But there’s one more and I will really need your thoughts on this. Years ago, I met this woman in Daegu and I was in love with her. I knew she felt the same, that's why I was confident and unhesitant to open myself to her. I mean, we did things only a couple would do-”

 

“Wait, you ed?” Hyejin asked.

 

“Yes, we did and it happened more than once. We shared sweet nothings to each other and even planned our future! Childish it may seem but, yeah,” Wheein laughed when she realized how stupid it was.

 

“It’s not childish. You are in love with her and if she isn’t in love with you given all the things you’ve done and shared with each other then she’s a ing ,”

 

“Right? So when I asked her to be my girlfriend, she flaked! Well, I understand that. What I don’t understand is why she lied to me. She said that she’s sorry for making me feel things and that she’s not into women. , I’m like ‘What?!’ then the next day I left. Years later, she came back telling me she made a wrong decision and that she wanted to be with me and all that . Though there was one thing she said that got stuck in my head. She said that I just left suddenly. She said I disappeared which I did. I mean why would I stay? She knows she’s the only reason I stayed. I mean, she should've told me to give her time to think because god knows I will give her that,”

 

“Well, that’s ed up,”

 

“I know! But I feel bad for the way I treated her earlier,” Wheein took a sip then she lit a cigarette.

 

“Give me one,” Hyejin asked as she pointed in Wheein’s cigarette. Wheein gave her own to Hyejin then lit a new one for herself.

 

“I don’t know what to tell her,” 

 

“The only thing I can think of is to tell her what you just told me. Make her understand what you felt. Make her understand why things end up this way,"

 

“, seems like all I can do is hope for the best!” Wheein then laughed.

 

Both women fell into silence again and watched the fire then Hyejin spoke.

 

“This is how I imagined the grown up us will be when we were younger,” Hyejin smiled. “Hanging out like this talking about some love situation while getting our wasted.”

 

“Remember when we used to pretend that the soda we are drinking are beer? Why are we so eager to drink alcohol at a very young age?!” Wheein said.

 

“Yeah, I remember how good you are at acting drunk!” Hyejin said while laughing hard.

 

Both women are having the time of their lives sitting in front of a bonfire with drinks in their hands sharing good laughs. Wheein looked at Hyejin thinking, ‘If I didn’t came back, I wouldn’t see this and hear this; I wouldn’t have this memory of us. I’m sorry I forgot about you, Hyejin. I’ll try to be a better friend to you just like you do.

 

*

 

Wheein woke up but remained in bed due to the headache. She still feel dizzy and sensitive in a way. ing hangover. She turned and turned feeling uneasy then she figured out why. Why is this bed so comfy? And big? Wheein roamed her hand around her and felt another person lying beside her. Who’s this? Hyejin? This isn’t my room. This doesn’t feel like in my house. Where the hell am I? She opened her eyes and studied the place but her eyes are not cooperating with her. She then heard a door open. She looked behind her and there was a woman walking towards her. She can’t figure out who it was until it talked.

 

“Wheein-ah,”

 

Kim Yongsun?! Wheein sat still trying to figure out how they got here. What the happened last night?!

 

“Is that Hyejin?” Wheein pointed her finger to the person lying next to her.

 

“What? That’s Byul,” Yong tilted her head trying to figure Wheein out. “Do you remember what happened last night?”

 

Wheein just looked at Yongsun but from the look on Wheein’s face Yong knew that Wheein do not have any idea what happened last night.

 

“Ooooh, Wheeinie, you wouldn’t want to remember!” Yongsun then starting to laugh unrestrainedly.