Gifts & Surprises

Passerby

Turnaround - Hans Zimmer, Camille

(English version of Suis-moi)

 

 


 

 

Wheein sat on a big couch inside Yong’s hotel room. While waiting for Yong to finish her phone call, she looked around hoping something will make her remember what happened last night. On her right side, she can see Hyejin lying beside the main door. It must be Yong who placed a pillow on her head and covered her body with a robe. She stared at Hyejin for a couple more minutes then she closed her eyes.

 

Hyejin and I were at my place last night. The last thing I remember is… Oh, sweet baby Jesus! We chugged Soju like a god damn water. No wonder we ended up like this. Wheein massaged her temples trying to ease the headache that struck her again. But how come Byul’s with us? ! She better remember something I don’t.  

 

Wheein slowly stood up and slowly walked towards the bedroom where Byul is sleeping. She gently sat on the bed and leaned the rest of her body on the space next to Byul who’s lying, facing down. She nudged Byul with her elbows trying to wake her friend up.

 

“Byul, wake up. I need your help,” Wheein said. “Hey, bud. You’ve got to wake up and tell me how we end up here,” She added but Byul remained asleep. Wheein’s patience is as thin as an onion paper due to the headache she’s experiencing right now. She nudged her friend again but this time with a little force. Wheein grunted in frustration when her friend won’t wake up but she got a little worried. She moved closer and leaned her ears on Byul’s back. Oh, good lord! She’s breathing! Wheein pushed Byul out of the bed. When her friend fell, she sat up and went to Byul. Her friend’s starting to sit up and she helped her. Wheein fixed Byul's hair and gently patted her cheeks to bring her friend to open her eyes.

 

“I’m sorry. You won’t wake up so I had to do something. Anyway, can you tell me what happened last night?” Wheein asked.

 

Wheein watched Byul who looked around her surroundings as she winced. “Where the are we?” Byul asked.

 

Wheein rolled her eyes and threw herself on the floor, lying flat on her back. She looked at the ceiling trying not to explode. . This is hopeless. She then remembered how messy it was outside. There was confetti everywhere and a pinata lying on the floor. There are balloons, a small Christmas tree with gifts, and lots of flowers (mostly Japanese chrysanthemums) around it. The hell happened last night?

 

"Hey, Wheein... where are we?" Byul calmly asked with her raspy voice. "Ugh, my throat is soooo dry. I don't know why we kept drinking like college kids," Byul laid down beside  Wheein and snuggled to her. "Where are we? This place is too nice. Is this Hyejin's place? Oh, Seulgi called last night. She said she'll be coming here tonight. I guess we'll be drinking again hehehe," Byul added.

 

"We are at Yong's hotel room and for the love of God, please, let's not drink tonight. Maybe tomorrow?" Wheein said. "Hey," Wheein patted Byul's arm.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"What's the last thing you remembered last night?" Wheein asked.

 

"Uhm, I need coffee first," Byul whispered.

 

Wheein removed Byul's arm and leg that wrapped her body then she stood up. "Let's get some coffee then," Wheein said as she pulled Byul to stand up.

 

As soon as they walked out of the room, Hyejin was already sitting on the big couch. Their eyes met and they just blankly stared at each other. Hyejin watched the two walk towards her.

 

All of them now are quietly sitting on the big couch staring at the T.V. that is not even . Without them knowing, Yongsun was just watching them with a huge grin on her face. Yongsun thought how cute and stupid they look right now. 

 

"I thought we’re getting some coffee. What's happening?" Byul whispered to Wheein. 

 

"I just realised that I don't know. I mean, I don't know where my stuff is. I don't even know where my phone is," Wheein whispered back. "I'll ask Hyejin to buy us a coffee."

 

Wheein who's sitting in the middle, turned to her left to talk to Hyejin. "Hey," Wheein whispered. "Can you buy us some coffee? I don't know where my stuff is. I'll pay you back. We just need it so bad right now."

 

Hyejin turned to face Wheein with a frown. "Why are you whispering? And Yong-unnie’s already making us some,"

 

Yongsun knew she needed to join them now so she grabbed a tray with cups in it and walked towards them.

 

"Yeah, I already made them. These may not be the best but I'm sure this will help," Yongsun said and as she reached the coffee table, she placed them down. She took a chair from the work desk beside the floor-to-ceiling glass window. Hyejin took her own cup of coffee. Byul looked around the place with slightly open due to her amusement. Wheein watched Yongsun move around the room. Yongsun came back to them with the chair and sat in front of them.

 

"Wheein-ssi, your coffee will get cold," Yongsun smiled at her.

 

"Wheein, don't worry. Yongsun-ssi will never get cold even when you're not around," Byul teased as she nudged Wheein with her elbow. 

 

"It seems like the coffee's getting into your head now, isn't it?" Wheein turned to her. "And I can't help if the lady in front of me is so enchanting," Wheein smirked as she turned to a flushed Yongsun.

 

"I never thought that you'd be this disgusting, Wheein. And to make it worse, your new buddy is just as gross as you," Hyejin butted in then she sipped her coffee.

 

"You know, I still think about how we got here. Yongsun-ssi, why is your place so messy?" Byul asked.

 

Yongsun tilted her head slightly and her eyes widened from what she heard. "Well, why don't you ask Wheeinie," Yongsun said.

 

"Why me? I don't remember !" Wheein said.

 

After a few seconds of silence, Byul suddenly held Wheein’s knee and shook it repeatedly.

 

"Oh... Oh... OH MY!" Byul suddenly spoke while staring at Wheein's eyes. "I remember now! But before I tell you about it, let me just say," Byul turned to Yongsun with a smile. "Yongsun-ssi, your place is really wonderful. I wonder how rich you are to afford this kind of room." Byul bowed her head to Yongsun then she turned back to Wheein. "Wheeinie, we're lucky we didn't wake up in prison," Byul giggled.

 

"Oh, no," Wheein whispered to herself but Byul still heard it.

 

"No, no, no, no! It's okay! I mean we did things that women in their late 20's shouldn't do but it's not as bad as setting a car on fire. So, last night I forgot my phone charger at your place so I came back…

 

Byul was looking for her charger in the living room when she heard Wheein's laugh. She went to the back garden to say 'Hi' to them and have a little chat since they seemed like they were having so much fun. She opened the back door and found the two sitting around a bonfire with soju bottles in their hand. She walked closer and could hear them slur their words so Byul thought that they were already wasted. 

 

"Hey, guys!" Byul said with a bit of shyness in her voice. 

 

"HEEEEEYYY!!!!!! MOONSTAR!!! COME DRINK WITH US!!!!" Wheein said as she gestured to Byul to sit next to her.

 

Byul sat down but she said she'll only drink a couple of shots and they let her. The conversation's getting a lot more interesting so Byul stayed a bit longer and the next thing she knew, she's drinking the soju straight from the bottle too.

 

... Now this is where my memory started to get choppy.

 

"You know, I got this plan in my head. I already told Hyejin this but you are my friend now too so here's what I have in mind. I will be out of Korea for a year and travel like I used to. But not exactly like that. I'll be out on a 'one-way-travel' and I'd like to be able to go to lots of places in a year because, after that, I'll be settling down here for good. 

 

“Wow! Is this because of Yongsun-ssi?” Byul asked.

 

“Well, I’ve given this a lot of thought and, yes, I want to be with her and maybe travel with her too but the bigger reason why I want to settle down is I’m tired of running away. It’s funny because I’ve been running around in circles for years. I lost my family and tried to find new ones in so many places. Good memories were buried under the bad ones and, again, I tried to make new ones in different places with new people. Now, I found them and the craziest part is that I found them in the place where I ran away from. I want to make new memories with all of you. You guys are my family now,” Wheein’s tears are starting to fall.

 

“But I have always been your family!” Hyejin reacted as she wiped her own tears.

 

“Jesus! Stop ruining the mood!” Byul, letting her tears fall freely, threw a piece of chip to Hyejin.

 

“And since I’ll be away for a year, I want to celebrate all our birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, New Year, and everything else tonight!” Wheein excitedly said.

 

“PUWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA!” Hyejin suddenly laughed so hard that she started hitting Wheein’s arm with her palm.

 

“What?! You should be touched, !” Wheein said.

 

“That’s so weird! I mean, you’ll still be back right?! You sound like you're not coming back,” Hyejin said.

 

“Of course! I just want to do it now because I won’t be here when these events happen! Also, who knows if we’ll still be like this after a year? What if we all become strangers? What if we all got in a fight?” Wheein explained.

 

“Fight?” Hyejin’s puzzled. “I don’t see any reason why all of us will be in a fight,” Hyejin shrugged. “You’re overthinking again, Wheein.”

 

“Whatever,” 

 

“Call Yongsun-ssi!” Byul said as she wiped her tears.

 

“Oh, I got an idea! Let’s surprise her... Like a surprise birthday party!” Hyejin said excitedly.

 

“I thought you're not riding the same boat with us?” Wheein frowned at Hyejin.

 

“I just found it weird. I didn’t say that I’m against it,” Hyejin rolled her eyes at Wheein.

 

...Yeah, and the next thing I remember is that we are at a department store. Wheein was wearing a christmas tree costume and Hyejin was wearing a Santa clause on a reindeer costume. I can’t remember what I was wearing at that time. We were solicited by the manager and two security personnel. We decided to buy them but it was too expensive so…” The three of them looked at the two-feet christmas tree near them. “I don’t know about the gifts. What I remember is that you, Wheein, wanted to buy everyone a christmas gift and bought Yongsun-ssi her birthday gift.” Byul sipped her coffee. “Then suddenly we are at the party supplies section,” Byul looked at Wheein and winced at her. “We broke a lot of stuff.”

 

“Good lord! We’re lucky they didn’t call the police or anything,” Hyejin said.

 

“Well, they almost did and it was when we are at the food section,” Byul gave them a worried smile. “We kind of savaged the area like wild animals.”

 

“Oh! That explains the orange juice spilled on your clothes and bits of chips on your hair!” Yongsun clapped that the discovery and laughed.

 

“I think this is tortilla dip,” Hyejin was smelling the end part of her overcoat sleeve and then nodded confirming that it is a tortilla dip.

 

Wheein, knowing Hyejin, begged her friend. “Please don’t it,” Wheein’s face is painted in disgust.

 

The three of them watched Hyejin as if they’re watching a suspenseful video. They are waiting if Hyejin will do it or not. 

 

Not long after, Hyejin slowly put out her tongue and the dried mess on her coat.

 

“AW! ! YOU ARE SO DISGUSTING!” Wheein cried and repeatedly slapped Hyejin’s arm.

 

“Why is it so sensual and disgusting at the same time?” Byul asked. 

 

“What is wrong with you?” Yongsun turned to Byul after she heard what Byul said. “And you too!” Yongsun then turned to Hyejin.

 

“Anyway, we paid a lot of ,” Byul nodded blankly. “Then the next thing I remember we are in Yongsun-ssi's hotel lobby."

 

“That’s when I got the call from the lobby,” Yongsun said.

 

“Yeah, yeah! The staff won’t let us in because we all look like ,” Byul added.

 

“When you saw me, you guys got so loud and ran towards me. I almost wanted to run away,” Yongsun giggled. “You guys brought all these stuff in here. The christmas tree, gifts, the pinata, party poppers, etc.. Also, the flowers!” 

 

“I don’t remember us buying flowers,” Byul said.

 

“But all of you did,” Yongsun said. “Anyway, when all of you arrived, you guys didn’t even last 20 minutes! Wheein just sang and then all of you cried. I was just about to get water but when I came back all of you started partying like you are in a club. Hyejin was about to strip off her clothes and Wheein's twerking on Byul who's taking a video of everyone. It was too chaotic so I left for a while. I came back and everyone fell asleep! I had to sleep on the couch because you and Byul took my bed!” Yongsun sighed. "I even have to clean the couch first so I can lay there." she crossed her arms and added, "Wheein and Hyej's stuff is in the night desk in the room. I don't know where Byul's is."

 

 

Wheein and Hyejin almost flew to get their phone and Byul knew her phone is in her pocket. Wheein and Hyejin came back to see Byul wincing while looking at her phone.

 

 

"Is that...?" Wheein asked.

 

 

Byul nodded without looking at Wheein. Byul's eyes are glued to her phone screen. "We are a terrible dancer but Hyejin's working it really well," Byul said as she kept on nodding. 

 

 

Wheein and Hyejin browsed their own phone and open the gallery section. Only small pieces of event from last night came back to Wheein and all she can do is shake her head in disbelief.

 

***

 

They were all leaving Yongsun’s room after a long discussion and after they helped clean the place. Hyejin and Byul are already walking away when Wheein stopped and turned to Yongsun who's leaning on the door frame.

 

“Are you free tonight?” Wheein asked.

 

“Yes, why?” 

 

“I need to talk to you about something,” Wheein nervously answered. She can see Yongsun’s worried face. Wheein thought that maybe Yongsun has an idea of what they are going to talk about but Wheein left it at that. Wheein assured herself that they’ll straighten things out tonight.

 

“Oh, okay,” Yongsun nodded. “Anyway, I’ll take a shower first then head to your place. Looking at the progress that we’ve made, I think we can wrap this up today or tomorrow,” Yongsun smiled at Wheein but it is evident that Yongsun’s a bit troubled. Wheein didn’t ask. Maybe later, she thought.

 

“Just head inside the house even if I’m not there,” Wheein handed Yongsun her keys.

 

Yongsun took it. “See you later,” Yongsun smiled again at Wheein then went inside.

 

***

 

Wheein and Byul were at the dining table in Mi Ran’s lodging house. The two asked the lady to make them a soup to cure their hangover. Mi Ran watched the two women eat it while she shook her head. “You and your friends were so loud last night,” Mi Ran said as she sat with them. “I watched the three of you from my window and, goodness gracious, all of you looked like zombies walking in the street. Oh! Also the god damn laughter! You guys are already a block away and I can still hear your laughter from here!” Mi Ran scoffed in disbelief. “To be honest, the laughter still rings in my ears. Most especially yours, Jung Wheein,” Mi Ran shook her head again. 

 

“Wheein can’t remember ,” Byul said.

 

“Yeah… It feels like a part of me is missing. I think this is what people who suffered from amnesia felt like. After seeing the photos, piece by piece kept coming back and I'm not liking what I'm remembering so far,” Wheein said.

 

“Yeah… Losing a memory of one night is so troublesome. How about losing months or years of memories? Also, I think you need to find a new department to shop to,” Byul added

 

“Yeah… tragic isn’t it? Drunkards,” Mi Ran joined in. “Oh, Wheein-ah, thank you for setting up an ad for me. I got bookings until next month! Also, thank you for teaching me to use those apps!” Mi Ran took her phone and showed Wheein her list of bookings.

 

“It’s not difficult to market your place. It’s pretty and cozy. Also, your place is clean and safe,” Wheein said.

 

“And it’s near the central,” Byul added.

 

“Still, thank you,” Mi Ran said. “I think I might need an assistant to help me here. I’m not getting any younger and changing bed sheets and cleaning bathrooms is too much for my age and body.”

 

Byul shot a look at Mi Ran. Wheein and Mi Ran wondered why.

 

“What?” Mi Ran asked.

 

“Hire me,” Byul said and it surprised the two women in front of her. “I mean, I can learn to do these things. Also, I can look after Wheein’s place while she’s away and I can earn some money while thinking about what I really want to do with my life,” Byul explained.

 

Mi Ran nodded in approval. “You look friendly too so it’s a plus,” Mi Ran reached out her hand to Byul. “You’re hired,” Mi Ran said then Byul took her hand and shook it.

 

“I don’t really care how much you pay me. Just let me stay at your place for free,” Byul said.

 

“Deal!” Mi Ran said.

 

***

 

Wheein and Byul were headed to her house. When Wheein went inside, she saw Yongsun talking to another woman. Wheein knew who it was even if the woman has her back on Wheein.

 

“Wheein-ah, you have a visitor,” Yongsun said smiled but Wheein can tell how bitter it was.

 

Joohyun turned around and went to Wheein for a hug. “Wheein-ah! What happened to you? You look a little restless,” Joohyun checked up on Wheein’s body. She even placed the back of her hand on Wheein’s forehead to check if she has a fever. “Are you overworking yourself?” Joohyun pulled Wheein again for a hug. “Please take care of yourself more,” Joohyun added.

 

Wheein just stood there trying to process everything. Her mind is still all over the place because of her hangover and then this? Again, this is too much for someone trying to live with a terrible headache and a missing memory. 

 

“We had a couple of drinks last night, that’s why,” Byul butted in. She knew Wheein was a little out with everything that's happening.

 

Joohyun released her arms around Wheein to look at her face. “From the looks of it, it’s not just ‘a couple of drinks’,” Joohyun fixed Wheein’s clothes and hair. “Please drink moderately. I don’t want you getting sick or something. We are not getting any younger,” she added.

 

“We’re not that old, really,” Byul added as she chuckled. “We’re still in the age where we can do a lot of things,” Byul winked at Joohyun.

 

Unknown to them, Yongsun is fuming in jealousy. Also, she can’t brush off what Wheein told her earlier. She’s has an idea of what it might be but she’s not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

 

“Anyway, I brought you food and your friend a breakfast,” Joohyun went to get the food from the coffee table in the living room and went back to Wheein. “Here, take it,” She turned around to look at Yongsun. “Agassi, I didn’t know someone else would be here. I thought it’s just Wheein and her friend that’ll be around today so I only brought something for two people. Don’t worry, next time I’ll bring something for you too.”

 

“It’s fine! I already ate before I went here,” Yongsun gave out the fakest smile in the world. Byul and Wheein can see that. “Wheein-ah, I’ll go to the back garden to talk to the workers. I hope we can wrap this up today. I’ll leave you all here,” Yongsun said coldly and it sent chills on Wheein and Byul’s spine. They looked at each other with horrors in their eyes. Byul eyed Wheein and pointed Joohyun with her lips while their Joohyun was not looking.

 

“Oh, Joohyun! Thank you for this,” Wheein smiled. “Can we talk for a bit? Maybe outside? How about a walk in the park?” Wheein asked.

 

“Oh, okay,” Joohyun answered with a low spirit. She knows what’s going to happen next. She wanted to smack herself for being so stupid and for being this late. She’s too late.

 

***

 

They arrived at the park and as they walked past the small pond, Joohyun took Wheein’s hand. Wheein tried to pull it away, but Joohyun held her hand tighter. 

 

“Let me... just for today. I’ll be away tomorrow,” Joohyun said. Wheein looked at her and she saw how serious she is and so she let her. Wheein squeezed it back and sighed.

 

“The weather’s nice today isn’t it?” Wheein said looking at the sky as they walked with their hands clasped together.

 

“Yeah, it is,” Joohyun said softly.

 

Wheein started to hum a song she used to sing to Joohyun before and it made her look at her.

 

“Suis-moi?” Joohyun asked. She looked better now. 

 

Wheein nodded, still humming and smiling at her. Her head, now, nodding in sync with the beat of the song she’s humming.

 

“I really love that film,” Joohyun said and smiled. They are now walking a little closer to each other and when the side of their bodies touched, Joohyun leaned her head to Wheein’s shoulder. She can feel the vibration in Wheein’s body as she hummed.

 

“I wish this moment would never end, Wheein-ah,” Joohyun said. Wheein can hear how shaky it was. Wheein stopped humming and released her hand from Joohyun’s. She wrapped her arm on Joohyun’s shoulder.

 

“Joohyun-ah, do you remember the first time we met? You were so mad at me!” Wheein giggled.

 

“That stupid wallet,” Joohyun scoffed.

 

“Well, I believe that things happen for a reason and I guess that happened because it’ll lead me to you,” Wheein said. “I mean, anyone could’ve picked that and you could’ve lost it somewhere else,” she added.

 

“What do you mean?” Joohyun pulled herself away from Wheein’s arms and both of them stopped from walking.

 

“We are meant to meet each other but we are not destined to be together,” Wheein sighed as she saw Joohyun’s eyes get watery. “I’m lucky and I’m happy that I met you. You taught me a lot of things and even for a short period of time, we grew so much together. We could’ve parted ways better before but I guess I was just too hurt and you were too lost. But I’m okay now and so should you,” Wheein said as she wiped the tears that were now falling from Joohyun’s eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, Wheein-ah,” Joohyun said as she walked closer to Wheein and wrapped her arms on Wheein’s waist.

 

“I’m sorry too, Joohyun-ah,” Wheein said. She can feel her own tears threatening to fall. “And thank you.”

 

They hugged each other for as long as they could. They knew that this could be the last time they’d be seeing each other. They pulled away and looked at each other’s eyes with forgiveness and acceptance. 

 

“I think you need to go back,” Joohyun said as she tries to remember every detail and every curve of Wheein’s face. The sun hits Wheein’s face beautifully. She watched her as the wind brushes Wheein’s hair.

 

“How about you?” Wheein asked.

 

“I’ll stay here for a bit. As you said, the weather’s nice today,” Joohyun smiled at her.

 

Wheein gave Joohyun another embrace before she left.

 

Joohyun watched Wheein’s figure get smaller and smaller until she’s gone as she walked away.

 

 

 

 


'Suis-moi' is a french song from the movie adaptation of Little Prince. There's an english version of it. It's called Turnaround

 

Took me too long to update. The chapter was almost done when a friend paid  visit. He introduced me to a video game he just finished and I got busy. I just finished playing it. The name of the game is Detroit: Become Human. Highly recommended lol. Also, try playing Life is Strange series if you have time! Thanks!