CHAPTER 3

Way Back To You

CHAPTER 3

 

Wendy’s POV

 

The hallway towards our dorm was quiet and empty, I looked at my watch. It was nearing midnight, no wonder about the silence. I lost track of time catching up from my friends from Canada that went to visit Korea for vacation. It has been so long since I’ve seen them and I miss them so much.

And speaking of missing someone, God knows how much I miss my family but if someone were to ask me who I miss at this very moment, it’s Irene. I miss her not because she’s in Paris right now; I miss her far longer than that.

It’s been 4 days since her schedule to Paris and I’m still not sure if she’ll be back today. I didn’t ask when she’ll be back but I was hoping that she’d tell me without me asking but to my disappointment all she did was kiss me and say, see you later and that’s the last I’ve heard from her.

I was so tempted to send her a message right after she left but I held myself back and every day that comes after but nothing, not even a word and yet for some reason I feel like it was my fault, that it shouldn’t have matter if I texted first and the mere thought that Irene probably thinks that I don’t care about her anymore had my guilt stirring.

 

I entered the password and went inside the dorm. The place is quiet, there’s no one at home. Seulgi’s still filming, Yeri probably spend an overnight to Saeron’s again, while Joy… I’m not really sure ever since what happened between her and Sungjae, she had become so distant.

 

I turn on the light to the living room when I’ve heard the familiar voice that I’ve been dying to hear.

“Where were you?”

 

Her mere voice made my heart skip a beat and makes me smile. “You’re back.”

“You knew that I’d be back today and you decided to just come home late.” There was an edge on her voice and part of me wanted to argue that I didn’t but I kept the frustration and hurt inside,

 

“Do you know what time it is?” she asked, her tone still hold an edge

“Must be party time?” I answered cheekily, then I saw her brows raised “Sorry, bad timing.”

“Where were you?” She asked, walking closer to me.

“I went out with some friends.”

“Whose friends?”

“I don’t think you know them. They’re from Cana—“ I was cut off when I saw her made a face, and that’s when I realize that I had a drink and no matter how small it is, Irene would smell it and God knows she hates it.

 “Are you drunk?” She asked, not even ‘Did you drink?’ first.

“I’ve had drinks but certainly not drunk.” I answered truthfully. The smell was strong but I’m not drunk.

“You went out for drinks until midnight with some friends that I didn’t know and you didn’t bother telling me?” Her tone went higher, I don’t know if it was the alcohol or was I really drunk but the deepening edge in her voice irks me and I can’t believe I just said that.

 

“Well you didn’t ask.” It was stupid; I knew it was stupid right after it left my mouth. Her expression darkens.

I knew it was a stupid thing to say but inside me feels like it isn’t.

She never asks. I don’t know if it is because she trusts me so much or she just doesn’t really care. I keep telling myself that it was the former but my mind and heart feels like it’s the latter. I've just done my best to ignore that fact until now.

Exasperation ran through me. Exasperation wrapped in anger, and it made my voice sharp. “Hell, I didn’t even hear a single word from you today or yesterday or the day after that.”

 

End of POV

 

Irene’s dark expression changed into mix of confusion and shock. She didn’t say anything for several seconds, not quite believing that Wendy would say that to her. She wasn't usually so abrupt, but maybe it was just the alcohol, Irene told herself.

“You said I knew you’ll be back today, well I didn’t. You didn’t even bother telling me, I spent these last four days waiting at home for you, wondering if this time will be the time that you’ll finally remember that I exist.” Sadness flickered in her eyes “I was dying to call you, to hear your voice but I held myself back because I wanted to see if you’ll at least bother to check if I had eaten my breakfast yet or how my day goes but nothing, not even, hey you still alive?”

“T-that’s not t—“ Irene was about to argue but Wendy took out her phone and showed her their last message dated four days ago “Are you seeing something that I don’t?”

Irene stares at the phone for several seconds, she had the urge to take her phone at that very moment but she knew it would be useless. Now that she thinks about it, she doesn’t remember anything about Wendy for the past four days.

 

Irene’s POV

 

 

A shiver went through me, I had rack my brain real hard for the past four days but I can’t remember, I don’t remember anything. Why? I should’ve, there should’ve something but there wasn’t. I didn’t even realize that I haven’t spoken to her for four days until now. Why is that? Why I didn’t know?

 

“Stop it.” Her voice pulled me back from my sense, probably knew that I was thinking “There isn’t anything,” Damn right.

“I…” I uttered but feel like I’m choking on my own words, nothings coming out. Was it because the panic is surging in or was it the intensity in her eyes that’s sharpening. And suddenly there were butterflies in my stomach and my heart starts beating like crazy.

I don’t understand but it scares me.

It was a good five minutes before the shaking stopped enough for me to concentrate on what’s happening but I had no idea what to do. Sure there were fights along the way for the past two years but not like this, not with her like this and I don’t know what I should do to handle it.

“I am tired and you had a drink. We both had a long day so why don’t we talk about this tomorrow and—“I stopped when wariness flickered on her eyes.

“Tomorrow?” She smiled grimly “I hate that word. Do you know why?” No. I don’t know why but no, I don’t want to know.

“Because it always reminded me of what I am to you.”

“W-what do you mean?” I asked gulping down air, fighting the rise of terror.

She looked at me for a moment, with that odd intensity in her eyes and tautness around his mouth. "You really don't know, do you?" What is it? It frightened me; her response to my words was frightening me.

“Let’s talk about it tomorrow, let’s do it tomorrow, I’ll go with you tomorrow, I’ll listen to it tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow but you never did.” She said, words wrapped in anger and sadness “I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for that tomorrow but you never did. So sure tomorrow it is.”

“I-I… t-that’s not t—“

“Don’t you tell me that it’s not true?! Because it is.”

“T-that’s not true.”

“It isn’t? Then tell me, when was the last time we had eat dinner together? The last time we’ve had our 5 minutes talk? The last time you actually listen to what I had to say? Or whatever it is that we did out of work? Tell me and I will be on my knees apologizing.”

 

I felt hard to breath, I couldn’t think. I can’t think of anything. When was it? I can’t remember. There should be something but there is absolutely nothing I can think of.

 

 

My eyes were stinging, my body shaking, and my heart seemed to be just aching deep in my chest. “I’m sorry… I’m really sorry.”  Was all I could say.

 

She didn’t say anything and was about to leave but I grabbed her by the wrist before she could fully walk away.

“I promise. We’ll talk about this tomorrow. I just…” I trailed off “I just… I just can’t do this right now. I’m sorry.” I said looking down.

“Me too.” Wendy said pulling her hands from me “I can’t do this anymore.”

 

 

https://twitter.com/MarchSerenity09