Checkmate

Just Another Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The conversation seemed to end after this, with Chaeyoung having to leave to a meeting about who knows what. Now it was just Dahyun and Mina sat in the room, not really speaking but playing a game of chess together.

 

This was their third game and you’d expect Mina to wipe the floor with Dahyun, but the latter was surprisingly gifted at the game. It was currently one – one with this being the decider on who would buy dinner.

 

“Mina… can I be honest with you?” Dahyun asked, eyes still fixated on the board, contemplating her next move.

 

“Of course you can.” Mina said, studying the board as well trying to see every possible way for her to win. “Like I said earlier, we’re friends.”

 

Dahyun couldn’t help but smile at that, she felt that there was such a rift between them since they only met through their significant others. But ever since the incident everything seemed to fit into place, like Mina was her mentor, like this was her superhero origin.

 

“It’s so scary, being like this…” Dahyun didn’t break her concentration from the game, letting the words flow out of her. “It’s kinda like not knowing if I would end up leaving Jihyo behind, I don’t want to do that. I love her more than anything and the thought of leaving her is unbearable...”

 

It wasn’t hard to notice Dahyun getting a little chocked up, it was bound to happen when you talk about leaving someone you love so much, it happened with Mina and her first husband, it happened with her mother, father, brothers and sisters. She even had kids at one point, but they’re all gone now, you have to accept that somethings wont comeback, sometimes life isn’t fair.

 

Mina wasn’t even staring at the game anymore, instead she was listening to Dahyun talk about her feelings. Feelings she knows all too well, besides she went through these too and she’s glad that Dahyun felt comfortable enough to tell her about them.

 

Mina extended a hand, taking the youngers into hers giving a comforting squeezing, encouraging her to go on about her feelings.

 

“It’s just… it feels like there’s so much that I can’t control anything. The world is all against me, I know I have you and Chaeyoung but I still feel so alone out here. Like what’s the point in doing anything if there’s no end? Everything just loses meaning.” Dahyun let out a chuckle, moving her rook across the board to take her bishop. “It’s like a superhero origin.”

 

“Pfft, sounds more like Spiderman Far From Home, you’re like Peter dealing with all the pressure of being the next Tony, except that you’re dealing with the realization of your powers.” Mina paused for a second before continuing. “Actually, sounds more like Homecoming now that I think about it.”

 

“A young Peter coming to terms with what he has to do given his powers, and the sacrifices that he has to make.” Mina continued, a noticeable smile coming across both girls faces.

 

“Well now I feel like Spiderman.” Dahyun said, letting out a laugh at the idea. “It’s your turn by the way.”

 

“Oh, yeah. Back to beating you.” Mina flashed a cocky smirk, that Dahyun could only laugh at.

 

“You’re down a bishop, 2 pawns and a rook. You really think you can win?”

 

“Oh, don’t be so confident Dahyun, I have a lot of experience in this game.”

 

The girls continued the rest of the game happily, with Mina winning to the end. Much to the dismay of Dahyun, but Mina wasn’t the type to let someone win just because they were sulking. ‘A win is a win’ is what she liked to say in these scenarios.

 

Chaeyoung leaned back in her chair and let out a deep sign, this meeting has been going on for an hour and it didn’t look like stopping anytime soon. Her eyes roamed the room hoping that something could draw her attention away from this meeting, she honestly forgot what was happening, all she knows is that they need to buy a new building.

It seemed like a budget meeting but honestly Mina is rich enough to buy out this side of the Han River and still never work a day in her life.

 

Chaeyoung was sat twiddling her thumbs as the words went in one ear and out the other, it was really like they were talking to an empty statue. She’s too old for this, she thought, 200 years and she’s stuck in a meeting…

 

Pulling out her phone from her suit pocket but still keeping it under the table Chaeyoung started to text the one person that would make this meeting better.

 

‘Tzuyu-ah, what are you up to?’

 

Send.

 

Now all she had to do was wait for a response and-

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter