Episode 09 : Day By Day

The Confession Of His Life/ Because It's You

He waited for his friend at the restaurant. He and his friend planned to grab lunch together. He was early, an hour early. He was so excited to meet his friend that made him to go to the restaurant earlier. He knew that Kyungsoo's class would end at one o'clock but he waited for that guy at twelve! He didn't mind to wait for an hour! Kai didn't mind at all! He could do whatever if that person was Kyungsoo! Exactly, he was confused about his feeling toward Kyungsoo. He knew the feeling was love but he just didn't know whether it was as a friend or as a lover. 

Kai stared at his watch. He had waited for Kyungsoo for almost thirty minutes. He couldn't wait to meet Kyungsoo. His lip already curved upward thinking about having lunch with Kyungsoo. He looked around him. The restaurant began to crowd with people. They entered into the restaurant and ordered their lunch. Some of them already enjoyed their meal, but not him. There was only a glass of orange juice in front of him. He decided to order food when Kyungsoo arrived. Before that, he just enjoyed the juice. 

Kai knew thirty minutes could be spent with something else, so, he took out his phone. He browsed through the gallery of his phone. He looked at all photos of him and Kyungsoo. They looked so happy back then although on some photos, Kyungsoo's face was full of bruises. Kai let out a heavy sigh. He remembered that back then, other students loved to bully Kyungsoo. It all because of that guy behaviour. He didn't like to complain when they did something to him. Kai and Suho were the only friends he had. That was the reason why they liked to bully him. If Kyungsoo knew how to fight for his right, all those thing would never happen! If that guy wasn't that naive! If Kyungsoo's father care about him the most!

Tired of looking through those photos, he lifted up his head and kept his eyes on the entrance. Who knew, Kyungsoo would come early? He stared at those customers who entered into the restaurant and went out of the restaurant. Kyungsoo, the one who had waited, hadn't show his face. It all was his own fault for coming to the restaurant early! He stared at his watch. Another fifteen minutes to one o'clock. Then, he turned his head once again to the entrance of the restaurant.

Suddenly, an old man with tuxedo entered into the restaurant. His face looked like Kyungsoo - pretty much like that guy that Kai almost called that man as Kyungsoo! Luckily, he didn't do it or he would be in embarrass state! He stared at that old man for a long time. In a blink of eyes, he realized who was that old man! That man was Kyungsoo's appa! Of course! That was why his face really looked like Kyungsoo after all!

That old man looked around, searching for an empty table. Full! Every table had been full with customers! He looked around once again and his eyes detected an empty seat at a young man's table. He walked slowly approaching that table.

Kai stared at that old man. That man walked approaching him. He felt quiet afraid, thinking that old man might scold him for staring at him for such a long time. His thought was wrong as that man didn't scold him, yet, that man smiled at him.

"Hello young man. May I join you?" That old man asked for Kai's permission to join him.

"Pardon?"

"May i join you? I mean... Can I have lunch with you? As you can see, all tables are full and you're alone, so, may I join you?" That old man explained to Kai slowly. The smile didn't vanish from his face. He waited for Kai to answer him.

"Err... Well... To tell the truth, I'm waiting for my friend. We had promised to have lunch together," Kai told the truth to that old man. He looked around him. That man told him the truth.

"I guess... My friend will not mind if you join us!" Kai continued to say. Kai voice heard unsure about what he told that old man. 

That old man seemed to understand Kai well. His smile vanished, replaced with laughter. It made Kai to be dumbfounded. He stared at that old man weird.

"Don't worry! I'll go soon after I finish my meal. I can eat faster than you can imagine!" That old man replied. He stared at that red faced Kai.

"I'm sorry," Kai apologized to that old man. He felt quiet guilty toward him.

"No! No need! I understand!" That old man replied. He grinned.

"Ouh... I realized that you kept staring at me just now, when I entered into the restaurant. Do you know me by any chance?" That old man continued to speak. He asked Kai.

Kai became shock. He didn't know that old man realized about it. He thought hard, thinking about excuses he should give to that old man. At last, he told the truth to that old man as he was afraid if that old man caught him red handed for lying!

"Your face! Your face is look alike my friend, which I promised to meet now!"

"Seriously?"

"Yes! Wait! I'll show you his face," Kai replied. He took out his phone from his trouser and quickly browsed through the gallery. He searched for a picture of Kyungsoo and showed it to that old man.

That old man took Kai's phone and looked at the photo. He gave it back to Kai soon after he had done looking at that photo.

"Of course our face look alike! He's my son!" That old man told Kai. He laughed when he saw how shocked Kai became when he knew Kyungsoo's appa was with him on that time.

Kai quickly stood up from his seat and bowed to Kyungsoo's appa. He apologized to him.

"I'm sorry Mr Do for not recognizing you!"

"No need to apologize to me! It's a normal thing! Sit and have a talk with me!" Mr Do told Kai.

"Don't call me Mr Do! I felt so uncomfortable! Just call me Ahjussi or appa!" Mr Do continued to speak.

"Ouh... Okay Ahjussi," Kai replied.

"It seems like you're his high school friend, right? What is your name and where are you study at?" Mr Do asked Kai. He really sure Kai was his son's high school friend.

"I am. My name is Kim Jongin but Ahjussi can call me Kai. My school is just near here, around kyungsoo's," Kai answers those questions politely.

"Ouh Kai, can I see other photos of Kyungsoo?" Mr Do asked Kai. He never know Kyungsoo liked to take selfie.

Kai nodded his head quickly. Once again, he took out his phone and quickly browsed Kyungsoo's photo from the gallery. He, then, passed his phone to Mr Do. Mr Do grabbed that phone and began to look at those photo of Kyungsoo one by one. His smile didn't vanish when he looked at those photos. That smile disappeared when he saw a picture of Kyungsoo with bruises on his face. He lifted his head upright and looked at Kai.

"Kai, can you tell me about this photo? Why Kyungsoo's face was full of bruises?" Mr Do asked Kai. He couldn't believe the photo as he never see Kyungsoo's face became like that.

Kai took his phone from Mr Do and looked at that photo. He stayed silent for a while, thinking about that photo before answering the question. He became unsure whether to tell or not to tell Mr Do about that photo. He stared at Mr Do for moments before started to open his mouth, to tell him about  the photo.

"Well... We took that photo a week after Kyungsoo being discharged from the hospital. There was a group of students who bullied him. They hit him because he didn't give them money," Kai told Mr Do. He didn't have the gut to look straight at Mr Do's eyes. He stared at the table.

"Bully? Kyungsoo? I... I didn't know about it! He never tell me about it!" Mr Do said. He was shocked once he heard to Kai. He didn't know his son became the victim of bully!

"Yes! He was! Everyone liked to bully him as he's from a wealthy family. Your nephew and I advised him for lot of times to inform you about it but he never listen to us! He said that you're too fierce and he was afraid if you would scold him for didn't know how to protect himself. He also said that he didn't want you to worry about it. He didn't want to disturb you as you're too busy for this kind of case! That was what he always told me and his cousin!" Kai told everything to Mr Do about Kyungsoo. He didn't keep anything from Kyungsoo's appa. He wanted him to know everything about his own son.

Mr Do shocked! He loss word to say. He didn't know that his behaviour affected Kyungsoo's life. He didn't know his fierce, his firm attitude made his son afraid of him. He just wanted the best for Kyungsoo. He 'bullied' his own son mentally. His eyes began to watery thinking about all the hardship that his son had been through alone. He stared at Kai for such a long time before opened his mouth so speak.

"I never know that my behaviour affected his life! I didn't realize that I had bullied his mental badly. He always listen to me and never object me. I never realize that I had done a big mistake. I always thought that he always follow my words because he wanted to. I never realize that he's afraid of me! I... I feel so guilty. Am I a bad appa to him?"

"I don't have the intention to make you feel more guilty. I just want you to know that Kyungsoo had been spending his nights at hospital for several times. The worst one was when the bone of his leg broke. They hit him with bat because he didn't pay their lunch. He spent about three months at the hospital. I guess you didn't know about it too," Kai didn't answer the question, yet, he told Mr Do about the worst thing that had happened to Kyungsoo.

"I don't. I guess that happened when he told me that he wanted to spend his time at his friend's house, doing school project," Mr Do tried to guess. That was the only thing he remembered as Kyungsoo spent a long time staying at his friend's house. He stared at Kai, wanting to know if his guess was right or wrong.

Kai stared at Kyungsoo's appa and slowly nodded his head, signing that the guess was right. Mr Do's eyes was watery. He cried. Tears kept flowing down his old cheeks. He couldn't say anything anymore! All he could do was shook his head regretfully.

"I guess you might remember the only wish Kyungsoo had ever ask you," Kai spoke, broke the silent. He felt so mad. He wanted Mr Do to know everything about what Kyungsoo had been through. He wanted him to regret and didn't do the same thing anymore to his own son.

"..."

"He wished to meet me for the last time before I moved to the other place. He really wanted to do that as I was the only friend he had excluding your nephew. We promised to meet and bid the last farewell but you turned him down," Kai continued to say when Mr Do didn't give any reaction.

Mr Do cried again. He looked at Kai. His face was full of guilty.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I know that I shouldn't do that! I was a fool back then! Please forgive me!" Mr Do replied.

"Not at me, but to your own son. To Kyungsoo!"

"I'll wait for him so I can ask for forgiveness!"

"I don't think you can do it! He might run back to the school when he see that you're here with me! He's afraid of you, remember that? He might go back to his room and starts to do revision again and again!" Kai said. He stood up and bowed to Mr Do before leaving that old man alone. He wanted to chase Kyungsoo who had run away when he saw his father with him.