Chapter 28

Boy Friend or Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Yuqi woke up on rainy Tuesday morning, it took her a moment to remember why she felt so miserable and restless. Then the memory of the previous night rolled over her. Dinner. Jaehyun. Love confession. Period cramps. She heaved a deep sigh and glanced at the round clock on the bedroom wall. It was almost 10 AM now and she had no motivation whatsoever to get up from her comfy bed. If possible she wanted to stay in this bed all day long, brooding about—

Her rumbling thoughts were interrupted by a loud vibrating noise that came from the bedside table. She rolled over to her side and reached out to the black leather purse she used the other night then fished out her phone. Her breath hitched the moment she saw the caller ID. Incoming call from Jaehyun. God, what on earth that he wants now? She thought, feeling irritated.

"I'm sorry it took me sometimes to notice your feeling for me..."

She let out a low groan as Jaehyun words from the previous night echoed again in her head. What does that suppose to mean? His confidence really threw her off. It was unnerving. She didn't know why but it made her uneasy. She should have retorted him and confronted him what he meant by that but the only thought that occurred to her at the time was how to get out of there as soon as possible. So, in the end, they went home with her unable to say address the matter.

After what seemed like forever, her phone stop vibrating. She let out a relieved sigh then proceeded to check the notifications. She hadn't seen her phone since she got back from that cursed dinner. Her stomach gave unpleasant lurch when she saw three miscalled and four unread texts from Lucas. Guilty.

L: Sleep?

L: Hey shortie r u sleeping for real?

L: I guess you do *sad emoji*

L: Call me when you got this, ok?

Yuqi sat up from the bed and proceeded to dial Lucas's number and her heart sank when the call went straight to voicemail. It only after several failed attempts later she remembered that Lucas probably had his morning practice, so there was no way he could come to the phone. Feeling thoroughly miserable she typed a reply and sent it to him.

Y: Sorry, I just woke up

She tossed the phone away and got up from the bed then walk off to the bathroom, holding her stomach, feeling like crap. What is worse than having a period cramps on the first day of the monthly cycle? Nothing.

Finished her morning routine she walked out of the bathroom, ripped open the white lace curtain then peek outside through the foggy mists that covered the glass windows. It was raining heavily outside. For a moment she stood there, staring moodily into the pelting rain, thoughts drifting back to the previous night.

"...I know it's sudden but will you be my girlfriend?"

She didn't know how long she had been waiting for Jaehyun to drop that question. Now that she heard that directly from his lips, she didn't know what to feel about it. She thought she would be over the moon but she didn't. If anything she felt rather taken aback and conflicted by that unexpected love confession. She found it hard to swallow his words. It felt surreal. She wondered whether other people also experienced this kind of dilemma when they got a love confession from their long-time crush or maybe it just her. Well, some people did say she was a bit peculiar. Lucas probably would laugh and clown her for this—

Yuqi bit her lips as a new wave of anxiety washed over her at the thought Lucas. How is she going to break this news to Lucas? She wondered what would his reaction be. Will he get upset and he stops hanging out with her? He was in bad terms with Jaehyun after all. Those thoughts terrified her. So, in the end, she gave up the idea of calling Lucas and spent the rest of the night laying awake in the dim-lit room, staring absentmindedly at the dark ceiling, trying to sort out her feelings and nursing her painful period cramps that came at such ungodly hour, adding insults to her injury.

A loud knock from the door snapped her back to the present. Lazily she strolled off to the door and found mom standing in the front of her, "Are you not going to have breakfast— Honey, are you okay?" mom gasped, touching her pale cheeks, looking concerned.

"Yeah, just one sleepless night..." she mumbled rather grumpily.

"What are you doing all night long?" asked mom again.

"Nothing..." Mom gave her a suspicious look. "I just can't sleep..." she added again. "Why are you home? You're not going to the workshop today?"

"No, but I have to visit an art exhibition later in the afternoon. Wanna come?" Mom elaborated while dragging her to the kitchen counter.

Yuqi shook her head and muttered, "No. I'm planning to stay in bed today..."

"Did something happen last night?" asked mom again as they sat down in the dining table.

"Not really..." She lied. She didn't want to talk about this to her mom. Not now.

"Is everything okay with Xuxi?"

"It got nothing to do with Xuxi!" she exclaimed in a defiant tone.

Mom chuckled and said, "You're so easy to read, especially when it came to Xuxi..."

She pouted and took a small bite of the egg toast on the table. "I want to see Xuxi..." She murmured, more to herself than to mom.

"You like him that much huh?" She blushed slightly, realizing that she said that out loud. "Aww my baby daughter is all grow up now!" teased mom again, ruffling her messy hair.

"Moo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter